Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by kinisking » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:41 pm

I think expectations have risen pretty high in this thread. This episode is astronomically better than the vast majority of super and it's being treated as nothing special. I'd say this is better animated than a lot of the episodes people used to say had good animation in the past.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:51 pm

kinisking wrote:I think expectations have risen pretty high in this thread. This episode is astronomically better than the vast majority of super and it's being treated as nothing special. I'd say this is better animated than a lot of the episodes people used to say had good animation in the past.
I agree, this is the type of animation people used to pray for when Super first started, even through the end of the U6 tournament.

I think people got spoiled and don't realize how good we have it now. Especially since Super now could have still looked like it did during the first year. We've come a long way.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:12 am

Asura wrote:
PMD wrote:Knowing that Dyspo would be a protagonist in this episode
Antagonist. Hit was the protagonist.
That depends of where you stand as a viewer. In terms of characters, Hitto is an assassin and Dyspo is a hero, but both are threats for the real protagonist (Goku and the U7 fighters). Just the fact guys think Hitto is a cool character doesn't make him the protagonist, I think he was equal with Dyspo in that regard. In terms of script, the only protagonists are the U7 fighters, but the point of view was with Dyspo and Hitto for the majority of the episode. Anyway, that discussion is not for this topic.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:32 am

kinisking wrote:I think expectations have risen pretty high in this thread. This episode is astronomically better than the vast majority of super and it's being treated as nothing special. I'd say this is better animated than a lot of the episodes people used to say had good animation in the past.
I don't know what it is about the Tournament of Power, but for some reason it makes people's expectations skyrocket in every possible category of the show. You're absolutely right about this episode having better quality than the vast, vast majority of the show and it's being treated like it's nothing.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:39 am

Can I just mention how many cool angles and directional choices there were throughout this episode. Here's all the scenes that stuck out to me.
Here are just some of the shots I liked.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:02 am

This was probably my favourite scene from the episode in terms of animation.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
The way Hit and Dyspo are animated at the start kinda reminds me of this godly animation from My Hero Academia except without all those insanely good impact frames at the beginning.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
I would sell everything I have just to get Yutuka Nakamura to animate something on Dragon Ball Super.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:53 am

JazzMazz wrote:Can I just mention how many cool angles and directional choices there were throughout this episode. Here's all the scenes that stuck out to me.
Here are just some of the shots I liked.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Yeah, the storyboard was great, hopefully Katsuhiko Nishijima becomes a regular.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:This was probably my favourite scene from the episode in terms of animation.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
The way Hit and Dyspo are animated at the start kinda reminds me of this godly animation from My Hero Academia except without all those insanely good impact frames at the beginning.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
I would sell everything I have just to get Yutuka Nakamura to animate something on Dragon Ball Super.
Glad I wasn't the only one reminded of this, I brought it up earlier in the thread!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:18 am

Yeah this arc on the whole I think is definitely Super's best in terms of direction and such, like that one episode where Zen-Oh's eyes faded out into lamp posts from another universe, that was so dope!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:15 am

Yuya Takahashi said on Twitter that he will animate on Super again. Sadly he didn't give any more information than that, so who knows if he's working on it right now or if it will be some time down the line.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:32 am

ArchedThunder wrote:Yuya Takahashi said on Twitter that he will animate on Super again. Sadly he didn't give any more information than that, so who knows if he's working on it right now or if it will be some time down the line.
That's great news. He has only woked on super once right (On ep 13) ? I hope he shows up on the Tournament and that there's no Yamamuro to overcorrect him. The possibility is quite small since Yamamuro's direct involvement hasn't been much but still hoping for the best.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:33 am

dhaval_dongre wrote: That's great news. He has only woked on super once right (On ep 13) ? I hope he shows up on the Tournament and that there's no Yamamuro to overcorrect him. The possibility is quite small since Yamamuro's direct involvement hasn't been much but still hoping for the best.
He also did some work on the current opening, but as far as actual episodes go, yes, 13 is the only one he's worked on.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:37 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
dhaval_dongre wrote: That's great news. He has only woked on super once right (On ep 13) ? I hope he shows up on the Tournament and that there's no Yamamuro to overcorrect him. The possibility is quite small since Yamamuro's direct involvement hasn't been much but still hoping for the best.
He also did some work on the current opening, but as far as actual episodes go, yes, 13 is the only one he's worked on.
17's ki attack right ?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:57 am

dhaval_dongre wrote: 17's ki attack right ?
I believe that's right.
I really hope he becomes a semi-regular on the show, similar to Shida or even Otsuka.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:08 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Yuya Takahashi said on Twitter that he will animate on Super again. Sadly he didn't give any more information than that, so who knows if he's working on it right now or if it will be some time down the line.
That's awesome news. Maybe he will be doing an episode with 17 as he animated his bit in the opening.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:10 pm

What? he did? seriously? as a huge Yuya fanboy I couldnt ask for a better info than this, I hope he plays a part with Goku's new form, even if not its debut just have him animate a fight involving that form.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:34 pm

I have a feeling Takahashi will be involved in the episode where Goku debuts his new form. Either way, I'm sure his contribution will more than satisfactory. I have been hoping form him to comb back to Super. I just hope his cut of animation will be decent. Like something from 25-40 seconds would be great.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Maybe he's working on the TVSP. That's more likely, but we'll find out soon.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:29 pm

About damn time! Looks like another one of my wishes for the Tournament is about to be fulfilled. Things will only get better from here on.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:03 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Maybe he's working on the TVSP. That's more likely, but we'll find out soon.
Maybe, but I don't see why that'd be more likely, as long as he was offered enough time to work on an episode I'm sure he'd take it, he already said a few months ago he was open to working on the show again and Toei just needed to make an offer. The show is probably at the point where as long as he was scheduled from the beginning of the production of an episode they'd probably be able to give him a good amount of time.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:14 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Maybe he's working on the TVSP. That's more likely, but we'll find out soon.
He replied to a guy asking him if he will animate Super, so I don't think he will be in the special.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical