Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:29 am

The problem though is that a lot of the interesting information gets lost due to the ever increasing stream of posts.

Here's all the interesting or noteworthy scraps that have been talked about on the discord.

1. Yamamuro has had decently extensive involvement in correcting stuff, so the answer to the question "where is Yamamuro" is that his been here all along. He seems to be correcting key shots for rushed episodes, or correcting scenes for marketing value. Some examples that have been discussed at length include episode 33, where Goku as a Super Saiyan appears to be corrected by Yamamuro, and episode 72, where it's been guessed all the on-model shots we presumed were Highashide were actually corrected by Yamamuro.

2. Random discussion about what Kitano did for episode 102 and 103.
Here's Kitanos work on 103:https://my.mixtape.moe/qjpere.mp4
I also made a guess that Kitano's work on 102 started here, ended here and then continued here(the 102 stuff is purely just a guess).

3. What scenes Tu Yong-ce confirmed he handled in 107. He confirmed he at least did the scene where Vegeta saved Roshi, and where Frost pretended to be weak and the fight between Frost and Vegeta. He could have done more

4. Masato Mitsuka, the episode director for episode 94, and the director for 110 of the special, is apparently a very talented director
His recieved a lot of praise from the animators who have worked under him on other franchises such as Pre:cure, so him being paired with Tate should result in something special.

It's also been confirmed that Nagamine handled the B Part storyboard, Nakamura storyboard corrections, while Ishitani waas the A Part storyboarder and episode director for episode 107.

All this will probably be later documented in a more orderly fashion Ajay, this is really just some scraps that have been discussed on the discord.
JulieYBM wrote:
Nasryyy wrote:This thread is dead now
That happens when there is nothing of note to discuss.

Boy, I sure do hope Watanabe Koudai and Oonishi Ryou work on the special!
Who wouldn't want Watanabe Koudai or Oonishi Ryou working on the special?

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:23 pm

JazzMazz wrote:The problem though is that a lot of the interesting information gets lost due to the ever increasing stream of posts.

Here's all the interesting or noteworthy scraps that have been talked about on the discord.

1. Yamamuro has had decently extensive involvement in correcting stuff, so the answer to the question "where is Yamamuro" is that his been here all along. He seems to be correcting key shots for rushed episodes, or correcting scenes for marketing value. Some examples that have been discussed at length include episode 33, where Goku as a Super Saiyan appears to be corrected by Yamamuro, and episode 72, where it's been guessed all the on-model shots we presumed were Highashide were actually corrected by Yamamuro.

2. Random discussion about what Kitano did for episode 102 and 103.
I also made a guess that Kitano's work on 102 started here, ended here and then continued here(the 102 stuff is purely just a guess).

3. What scenes Tu Yong-ce confirmed he handled in 107. He confirmed he at least did the scene where Vegeta saved Roshi, and where Frost pretended to be weak and the fight between Frost and Vegeta. He could have done more

4. Masato Mitsuka, the episode director for episode 94, and the director for 110 of the special, is apparently a very talented director
His recieved a lot of praise from the animators who have worked under him on other franchises such as Pre:cure, so him being paired with Tate should result in something special.

It's also been confirmed that Nagamine handled the B Part storyboard, Nakamura storyboard corrections, while Ishitani waas the A Part storyboarder and episode director for episode 107.

All this will probably be later documented in a more orderly fashion Ajay, this is really just some scraps that have been discussed on the discord.
JulieYBM wrote:
Nasryyy wrote:This thread is dead now
That happens when there is nothing of note to discuss.

Boy, I sure do hope Watanabe Koudai and Oonishi Ryou work on the special!
Who wouldn't want Watanabe Koudai or Oonishi Ryou working on the special?
Thanks for typing all that up and sharing.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:33 am

For reference, though a lot of the superfluous conversation that used to happen here is now on the discord, I still think this is useful for longer discussions and analysis, as it's far easier to access information here then it is on the discord.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:46 pm

JazzMazz wrote:1. Yamamuro has had decently extensive involvement in correcting stuff, so the answer to the question "where is Yamamuro" is that his been here all along. He seems to be correcting key shots for rushed episodes, or correcting scenes for marketing value. Some examples that have been discussed at length include episode 33, where Goku as a Super Saiyan appears to be corrected by Yamamuro, and episode 72, where it's been guessed all the on-model shots we presumed were Highashide were actually corrected by Yamamuro.
If that is the case I find it odd that he is never directly credited in the episodes he has corrected. It seems like it would be better for the show's image if the character designer were credited on episodes rather than him just doing uncredited corrections.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:52 pm

MrWalnut4 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:1. Yamamuro has had decently extensive involvement in correcting stuff, so the answer to the question "where is Yamamuro" is that his been here all along. He seems to be correcting key shots for rushed episodes, or correcting scenes for marketing value. Some examples that have been discussed at length include episode 33, where Goku as a Super Saiyan appears to be corrected by Yamamuro, and episode 72, where it's been guessed all the on-model shots we presumed were Highashide were actually corrected by Yamamuro.
If that is the case I find it odd that he is never directly credited in the episodes he has corrected. It seems like it would be better for the show's image if the character designer were credited on episodes rather than him just doing uncredited corrections.
He technically is credited in every single episode as the Supervising Director of Animation, a title that indicates everything is supervised by him, much like the Chief Animation Supervisor role.

The only time we tend to see him credited outside of that is when he does key animation. Similarly, the Chief Supervisors are only credited outside of their roles when they do second key animation.

Would definitely make my life easier if he were thrown in on the main staff list, though!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:15 pm

JazzMazz wrote: 2. Random discussion about what Kitano did for episode 102 and 103.
This seems unrealistic.
Is he heavily corrected or he's actually talented? :wtf: :wtf:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:23 pm

cuartas wrote: This seems unrealistic.
Is he heavily corrected or he's actually talented? :wtf: :wtf:
Heavily corrected.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Real heroes never get the recognition they deserve.....
Still some of the scene mentioned to be by Yamamuro might be Tu. His work is very close to Yamamuro's

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Here's some info u won't find on discord. I asked Ishitani that whether she was gonna work on the new ending, but she replied back, saying that

A different person will produce a new ending. It will be her first production so please look forward to it!

Any guess who this mystery female is ??? I am really glad that the new ending is not done by Yamamuro, because the song is great and I really wanted some different take on it than the usual Yamamuro stuff.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:19 pm

OH MY GOD?! Could it be Kamatani? I will die if that happens.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:32 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:OH MY GOD?! Could it be Kamatani? I will die if that happens.
can u plz educate me about her work ? I guess the mystery woman would be from Toei.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:37 pm

It's probably someone we've never heard of since it's their first production.
I imagine Yamamuro is still doing the animation, it's just that this new lady is boarding and directing it.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:46 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:It's probably someone we've never heard of since it's their first production.
I imagine Yamamuro is still doing the animation, it's just that this new lady is boarding and directing it.
But he does his own boards. So at the least its not him thats boarding or directing at the least. I want to see some decent animation, given the nature of the song.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:47 pm

I kind of overreacted there. My bad. I didn't read Ishitani's comments clearly. Kamatani is an already established young superstar Toei director. This new person's making her debut, so no way its Kamatani. Again, my bad.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:51 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:I kind of overreacted there. My bad. I didn't read Ishitani's comments clearly. It could be someone new. Kamatani is an already established young superstar Toei director. This new person's making her debut, so no way its Kamatani. Again, my bad.

At the least we are getting talented young people to work on the show.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:55 pm

dhaval_dongre wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:It's probably someone we've never heard of since it's their first production.
But he does his own boards. So at the least its not him thats boarding or directing at the least. I want to see some decent animation, given the nature of the song.
Not always, Ishitani did Yoka Yoka, but Yamamuro animated it.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:42 am

JazzMazz wrote:Who wouldn't want Watanabe Koudai or Oonishi Ryou working on the special?
Have they worked in Super before?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:55 am

Noah wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:Who wouldn't want Watanabe Koudai or Oonishi Ryou working on the special?
Have they worked in Super before?
Yes. Koudai worked on a scene in one of the ED's, while Oonishi did that great, though rushed cut in episode 14.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Koudai also worked on the 1st opening. I think it was Goku and Vegeta fighting freeza goons.
This one: https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/33164

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:40 pm

So can we expect tomorrow's NEP to reveal anything substantial or will Toei play the "let's put some special effects on Goku's artwork" card again?