Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Amir » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:13 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Second time Ryo Onishi pops up in ToP and both times we animated something with Ribrianne. Maybe he did love the character. :P
Can't blame him though. She was a well done parody to the magical girls troupe until end. It's just a shame she didn't eliminate someone major.
She was an ugly, hypocrite thug fucking bitch, her personality sucks, all she had been doing was screaming love randomly without any context whatsoever, she said Krillin was no good looking and that's the reason 18's stakes and reasoning to survive were un-important and she completely scorned her (that made me hate her even more), she then called 18 evil for some reason, man she's stupid too, and her voice is annoying. She doesn't deserve to be in DB, she doesn't deserve to be in any anime. Only thing she deserve is getting killed brutally.

Fuck that bitch. Caulifla is a god tier character compaed to her.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:38 pm

HeroR wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
HeroR wrote:
I know, but we both know that what happens with Piccolo will color any positives.

Tomioka writing 118?
Actually, I messed up, Hiroshi Yamaguchi is writing 118, I just assumed because it was an important episode Tomioka would be handling it.

His OK. His only real stand out work to me was for 109.

All his other stuff has just been OK for me.
He wrote 114, which was also great imo.
Eh, my problem with 114 namely comes from his characterization of Freeza and Vegeta.

He seems to have a good grasp on everyone else though.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:37 pm

Amir wrote:She was an ugly, hypocrite thug fucking bitch, her personality sucks, all she had been doing was screaming love randomly without any context whatsoever, she said Krillin was no good looking and that's the reason 18's stakes and reasoning to survive were un-important and she completely scorned her (that made me hate her even more), she then called 18 evil for some reason, man she's stupid too, and her voice is annoying. She doesn't deserve to be in DB, she doesn't deserve to be in any anime. Only thing she deserve is getting killed brutally.

Fuck that bitch. Caulifla is a god tier character compared to her.
I mean, everyone's entitled to their opinions on characters and such... but there's gotta be better ways than this to express them, right?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:03 am

JazzMazz wrote:
HeroR wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: Actually, I messed up, Hiroshi Yamaguchi is writing 118, I just assumed because it was an important episode Tomioka would be handling it.

His OK. His only real stand out work to me was for 109.

All his other stuff has just been OK for me.
Eh, my problem with 114 namely comes from his characterization of Freeza and Vegeta.

I dont remember too much from 114 other than Takahashi nudes
But what were Hiroshi's downfalls with Vegeta and Freeza?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:16 pm

iAnimationLover_ wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
HeroR wrote:

I felt he made Vegeta and Freeza more caricatures of themselves, than characters who were actually involved in the situation.

For example, Freeza needs Goku to achieve UI, yet he asked Goku to lose just so he could have a turn and Vegeta still has his whole number one schtick that he got over in the Buu arc.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:26 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
iAnimationLover_ wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: Eh, my problem with 114 namely comes from his characterization of Freeza and Vegeta.

I felt he made Vegeta and Freeza more caricatures of themselves, than characters who were actually involved in the situation.

For example, Freeza needs Goku to achieve UI, yet he asked Goku to lose just so he could have a turn and Vegeta still has his whole number one schtick that he got over in the Buu arc.
Vegeta have been doing that for episodes from different writers.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:29 pm

Amir wrote: *blablablabla*
For a second I thought I was on youtube. That's not how you post around here.
Amir wrote: Caulifla is a god tier character compaed to her.
Caulifla is a God Tier character compared to anyone. I love everything about her.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:14 am

HeroR wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
iAnimationLover_ wrote: I dont remember too much from 114 other than Takahashi nudes

Vegeta have been doing that for episodes from different writers.
I don't know what the hell happened to Vegeta in this arc. It's like they took all of the progress he made during the entirety of Super and decided "Wouldn't it be fun if we just started introducing elements of Cell arc Vegeta back into the character again?". He was so good in the FT arc too, such a shame, really. :(
emperior wrote:I just wanted to say, once again, how happy I am with Super’s current state. This whole arc has been a major improvement from the older arcs, and the ToP is specifically getting more consistent with every episode, especially since the special aired. I can’t imagine how good the finale of this arc will be in terms of animation.
I was compiling a bunch of images from older arcs (mostly using the images from the animator breakdowns on the first page of this thread) to compare to the ToP arc and wow, it's ridiculous how far we've come. Everything used to be so bright, so oversaturated, and lacking so much detail. This arc just gets so much undeserved hate IMO. Art and animation (and soundtrack too!) really go a long way in making a series so much better, and even if the story content of the arc is... questionable at times, I still feel like it's easily the best overall arc Super has ever produced.

DBZ has never been a series with a strong story. People loved it for the art, the fighting, and the soundtrack though to the point where story sometimes took a backseat to these things. People don't have that same mindset anymore coming in to Super, and I think that's a shame. I'd honestly rather see a mediocre story with great art and animation over a good story with shit that looks like it was hastily thrown together by amateurs (and I am NOT saying the animators are amateurs, I'm just saying it comes off that way due to the rushed production schedule and lack of time to make things look good.)

I'm so much more involved in a show when it looks and sounds great. When the story is good but the art sometimes looks like stick figures, I'm just taken out of the show completely. So kudos to the animators and artists, this arc is beautiful.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:03 am

I think it's a shame people think ep114 is the best looking episode just because it had awesome art.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:43 am

Amir wrote:I think it's a shame people think ep114 is the best looking episode just because it had awesome art.
Nothing shameful about people not sharing your opinion.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:43 am

HeroR wrote:
Amir wrote:I think it's a shame people think ep114 is the best looking episode just because it had awesome art.
Nothing shameful about people not sharing your opinion.
Yeah well I used the wrong word. I just feel like they don't care about actual animation quality but more about art. I'm just butthurt :0

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:33 pm

Well it is the best looking episode. If it's got the best looking art it's the best looking episode. On the other hand, if it's got the best looking animation then it's the best animated episode.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:12 pm

I mean you just basically contradicted yourself. It had awesome art, which means it looked great.
Just look at this: https://imgur.com/a/bWou1

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:20 pm

iAnimationLover_ wrote:
I mean you just basically contradicted yourself. It had awesome art, which means it looked great.
The aesthetic is indeed very nice and wish we had this from the start, but the animation and choreography still falls very flat. Punches/kicks are very stiff, too much of the 2d plane "ATATATATATA", composition is usually poor, etc. I had really high hopes for this arc after watching Buu vs Basil too..

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:41 pm

iAnimationLover_ wrote: I mean you just basically contradicted yourself. It had awesome art, which means it looked great.
Is that gallery yours? Because the quality is incredible and it doesn't seem to be a normal print screen. Is there any trick?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:02 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
iAnimationLover_ wrote: I mean you just basically contradicted yourself. It had awesome art, which means it looked great.
Is that gallery yours? Because the quality is incredible and it doesn't seem to be a normal print screen. Is there any trick?
It's mine, I used an HD rip of the episode and took screencaps with VLC media player.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:54 pm

ArchedThunder wrote: It's mine, I used an HD rip of the episode and took screencaps with VLC media player.
I have Windows Media Player Classic, but looks like I can do that. As for the format, is PNG a better choice than JPEG for this job?

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:51 pm

iAnimationLover_ wrote:
Ah, never gets old looking at those images. So beautiful...
supersaiyanZero wrote:
iAnimationLover_ wrote:
The aesthetic is indeed very nice and wish we had this from the start, but the animation and choreography still falls very flat. Punches/kicks are very stiff, too much of the 2d plane "ATATATATATA", composition is usually poor, etc. I had really high hopes for this arc after watching Buu vs Basil too..
I don't know what you're talking about. 113 and 115 had stiff punches and kicks and 2d plane "ATATATATA"s, that much is very true. 114 and 116 though were storyboarded wonderfully and the choreography was on point. Stuff like Kale and Caulifla creating a smoke screen, Kale using her energy as a distraction, holding down Goku's arm while Caulifla beats the shit out of him like a brawler, Caulifla predicting Goku's instant transmission, and hell the entirety of Kefla and Goku's fight in 116 was just awesome, with the Tony Hawk skateboard Kamehameha being one of the most unique things ever seen in the series.

Seriously, what more do you want? There are still fights that aren't very exciting and pretty dull from an animation standpoint, this much is true. But we've had the best animation both quality and quantity wise in this arc, so if you're somehow disappointed in this arc but were fine with the way things looked in the FT or U6 arcs, I don't know what to tell you.
FortuneSSJ wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote: It's mine, I used an HD rip of the episode and took screencaps with VLC media player.
I have Windows Media Player Classic, but looks like I can do that. As for the format, is PNG a better choice than JPEG for this job?
PNGs will almost always be higher quality than JPEGs, but they're larger in file size.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:18 pm

Asura wrote:
Well it is the best looking episode. If it's got the best looking art it's the best looking episode. On the other hand, if it's got the best looking animation then it's the best animated episode.
What? Good animation also makes an episode look good, not just the art. I say animation is even more important. That's my point. 114 may have had great art and the choreography was pretty good in a lot of parts, but the animation was decent and soemtimes a little weird and slow. For example, look at SSJG Goku vs Kale. I would take an episodes like 57, 66, 109 and 110 any day over 114. Even 116 with those awesome cuts by Higashdie and Ken Otsuka made the episode better than 114 for me. Art is still just how the characters are drawn in the end, I think people just got excited because the old Z designs were used again. I was too, but to say that it was the best looking episode? I can't agree with that.

KameNinja45
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameNinja45 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:32 pm

Amir wrote:
Asura wrote:
What? Good animation also makes an episode look good, not just the art. I say animation is even more important. That's my point. 114 may have had great art and the choreography was pretty good in a lot of parts, but the animation was decent and soemtimes a little weird and slow. For example, look at SSJG Goku vs Kale. I would take an episodes like 57, 66, 109 and 110 any day over 114. Even 116 with those awesome cuts by Higashdie and Ken Otsuka made the episode better than 114 for me. Art is still just how the characters are drawn in the end, I think people just got excited because the old Z designs were used again. I was too, but to say that it was the best looking episode? I can't agree with that.
Some people just think amazing art and decent animation is better than amazing animation and decent art, and it's completely fine to think that. Why does it matter if you don't agree? It's not a shame for different people to have different priorities in anime visuals.