Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tugvow

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Tugvow » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:29 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Piccolo's mouth beam was so badly done
I actually really enjoyed that cut, as well as the other Piccolo scenes, harkened back to Piccolo Daimao to me
How I wish I could block these distractions when I am supposed to be studying...

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:38 pm

Did the person who wrote this episode(119) the same guy who wrote 106?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:52 pm

IGhostUlt wrote:Did the person who wrote this episode(119) the same guy who wrote 106?
https://mobile.twitter.com/Herms98/stat ... 12/photo/4

It's a name I'm not used to seeing, but I don't know if it's the same guy as 106.

Edit: It's not. 106 is Yamaguchi - https://i.imgur.com/bCyQEis.jpg .
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:45 am

LOST BEERUS JAW!

$10,000 REWARD

PLEASE CALL 555-831-2750 IF FOUND

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:41 am

Asura wrote:LOST BEERUS JAW!

$10,000 REWARD

PLEASE CALL 555-831-2750 IF FOUND
Also. This^
How i got into this shit:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:48 am

Tugvow wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Piccolo's mouth beam was so badly done
I actually really enjoyed that cut, as well as the other Piccolo scenes, harkened back to Piccolo Daimao to me
Me too, it looked fierce. They even drew his fangs bigger than usual.
They always have him open his jaw wide when he does that if that's what bothered people.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:45 am

Amir wrote:There was nothing bad in this episode, it was just alright, definitely weaker than the last 3 becuase it had no highlight or some quality cut, it was just serviceable. The art still looked decent and consistent for the most part.
Pretty much my thoughts, an episode like this would have been cherished two arcs ago, not every episode has to be amazing or good, a serviceable episode once a while is totally fine. Especially when a Yashima episode turned out to be good this was long due.

People talking about the rush directing I'd rather they rush through this instead of it dragging tbh. Narratively U4 aren't as exciting as U3, there's so much more that can be done with next weeks content, there's only so much you can do with a tiny bug and an invisible person.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:56 am

The artist who was drawing Beerus weird seemed to be exclusively referencing his full body shot.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:07 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Amir wrote:There was nothing bad in this episode, it was just alright, definitely weaker than the last 3 becuase it had no highlight or some quality cut, it was just serviceable. The art still looked decent and consistent for the most part.
Pretty much my thoughts, an episode like this would have been cherished two arcs ago, not every episode has to be amazing or good, a serviceable episode once a while is totally fine. Especially when a Yashima episode turned out to be good this was long due.

People talking about the rush directing I'd rather they rush through this instead of it dragging tbh. Narratively U4 aren't as exciting as U3, there's so much more that can be done with next weeks content, there's only so much you can do with a tiny bug and an invisible person.
Yeah, if an episode like this aired during the BOG/U6/ROF arcs it would have been on of the best episodes ever. Also there were some nice things in this episode, Like Piccolo dodging the insvisible guy and then kicking him away. It was pretty nice.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:16 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote: Assuming the pacing doesn't slow to a crawl in the final battle then I expect the final battle with U11 to be about 5 episodes, and if it's around that length I fully expect Tomioka to write most, if not all of them.
Your last prediction was pretty spot-on! :thumbup: With the time they have left it really can't go more than 7 unless they start doing seconds per episode which would run well past March. I feel like having Tomioka write the whole of the climax would do wonders to keep it tonally consistent.

In terms of production schedule, they should already have some post ToP-stuff in progress, right?
Doubt it. Production still seems pretty terrible if Takahashi's 3 weeks are to go by, I think most people will be tied up to push this final legs of this tournament through, honestly if everything continues to be on fire from now until the finale of the ToP, I think this ToP might be considered one of the biggest achievement in anime ever.

The new years break has come at a very good time, hopefully that extra week could mean some extra polish on the finale.

Unfortunately seems we're still a million miles aways from having solo supervisors (barring Yashima of course) just imagine the likes of Tate, Shimanuki and Karasawa to name a few doing entire episodes!
I think thats more of Takahashi coming in late rather than the production being terrible.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:54 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Toei Animation will begin producing in their new studio by next month. I hope this means their productions will have less communication hiccups.
That should be its own topic. It doesn't belong here.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:23 pm

majinwarman wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Toei Animation will begin producing in their new studio by next month. I hope this means their productions will have less communication hiccups.
It belongs here. The new studio will improve the production and ease the work for everyone involved with Super, this will improve the show's art and animation.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:10 pm

emperior wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
It belongs here. The new studio will improve the production and ease the work for everyone involved with Super, this will improve the show's art and animation.
Will the new studio create big changes or minor changes? What am i supposed to expect out of this? How much better, is 'better'?

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:19 pm

It is a pragmatic move from Toei to handle the massive quantity of projects that they are known for doing more efficiently which was getting difficult to do so in their old place. Also, more importantly a better workplace for the employees.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:25 pm

FartiliciousManChild wrote:
emperior wrote:
majinwarman wrote: That should be its own topic. It doesn't belong here.
Will the new studio create big changes or minor changes? What am i supposed to expect out of this? How much better, is 'better'?
I don't know more than what it's said on the article above. I don't think the "better" is quantifiable, it just seems like this new studio will speed things up and improve communication. If things get sped up, it means episodes will be finished in less time. Gaining time is beneficial to the production, as everything from the script, to the storyboard, the direction, the art and animation will improve if people who work on it aren't under time constraints.
Just look at Episode 5, it was very bad despite many talented animators working on it because they didn't have enough time to complete their cuts. Also many animators want to stay away from shows with bad productions, for many reasons.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:39 pm

Now that the new building is done, Toei most likely will work on more long-running projects to air in the next few months/year so I wouldn't get too excited or confident that things will dramatically improve for DBS.

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:48 pm

Avok wrote:Now that the new building is done, Toei most likely will work on more long-running projects to air in the next few months/year so I wouldn't get too excited or confident that things will dramatically improve for DBS.
That's what i was kind of afraid off.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:55 pm

There won't be any huge improvements to any of Toei's shows right away, but the building should help help at least somewhat with Super's continued improvement.

MrKaytos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrKaytos » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:45 pm

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:28 am

FartiliciousManChild wrote:
emperior wrote:
majinwarman wrote: That should be its own topic. It doesn't belong here.
When the majority of your shit is all situation in one place with more space things should naturally improve a fair bit. The old studio was falling apart and being quickly outgrown by the growing operations. It was also not as equipped to handle the production processes of modern animation. If anything the staff will simply be less dispersed.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter