Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:31 pm

This episode...Felt really really short.
Also, many great looking shots but not as much pure action as i was hoping for.
How i got into this shit:

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Noah wrote:
Amir wrote:What? He looks amazing here. Best Jiren shot yet imo. I wish he would always look like that.
Best shot? His body unnecessarily huge with his tiny head and almost noticeable nose? You cannot be serious.
Unnecessarily? Said who? It's all about the angle, so it fit really well to see his trapezius muscles, and his nose looks just fine, it's not a full nose like the saiyans have. I have no idea what you are talking about. The facial expression and pose are really great, shading and detail is top noch as always, how could it not be his best looking shot?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:42 pm

Episode 122

Animation Supervisors
Nii Hirotaka
Nashizawa Koji
Takahashi Yuya

Key Animators
Nii Hirotaka
Hong Beom-seok
Hong Cheong-ryong
Ikeda Masato
Yamakita Takahiro
Kobayashi Ayumi
Takahashi Yuya
Nashizawa Koji
Tu Yong-ce
Oda Kazumi
Tomechisa Nomi
Mura Shuntaro

2nd Key Animators
Mido Douga
Toei Phils.

-

So much to process. Naotoshi Shida's storyboard was excellent, and Imamura seriously delivered in a big way on the direction front. I was a little worried, so I'm glad that turned out perfectly.

Takahashi's art is just insane. The animation was a lot more limited than I expected, but it seems like the intention was to channel the type of action you'd see in Seigasha's Boo arc episodes. All those flurries and close-ups were so Hisada-esque.

It's a shame supervisors can't handle entire episodes by themselves with Super's schedule. I feel so teased!

EDIT: Oh yeah, that new ED is dreadful. Yikes. Yamamuro's construction issues are becoming more and more prevalent.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Stunning art, good direction and great storyboard. Super has another damn good entry in its back pocket

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:04 pm

Except for a couple janky cuts where Goku had SS2 hair, that episode looked really good! Some very nice atmospheric effects. My favorite shot in the episode was Jiren being illuminated by the light from the Final Flash.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:09 pm

I wish Takahashi could design every week, but I understand why that's impossible.
What a beautiful-looking episode!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:10 pm

Really loved that galick gun of Vegeta and those reaction shots in the beginning were also good.Shida SB never dissapoints.
Chuquita wrote:I wish Takahashi could design every week, but I understand why that's impossible.
What a beautiful-looking episode!
Sadly he is just a freelancer :( ,he is not gonna be involved in a lot of episode,i hope they use him in the new movie.
Mostly active on discord.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:18 pm

Ajay wrote:Episode 122

Animation Supervisors
Nii Hirotaka
Nashizawa Koji
Takahashi Yuya

Key Animators
Nii Hirotaka
Hong Beom-seok
Hong Cheong-ryong
Ikeda Masato
Yamakita Takahiro
Kobayashi Ayumi
Takahashi Yuya
Nashizawa Koji
Tu Yong-ce
Oda Kazumi
Tomechisa Nomi
Mura Shuntaro

2nd Key Animators
Mido Douga
Toei Phils.

-

So much to process. Naotoshi Shida's storyboard was excellent, and Imamura seriously delivered in a big way on the direction front. I was a little worried, so I'm glad that turned out perfectly.

Takahashi's art is just insane. The animation was a lot more limited than I expected, but it seems like the intention was to channel the type of action you'd see in Seigasha's Boo arc episodes. All those flurries and close-ups were so Hisada-esque.

It's a shame supervisors can't handle entire episodes by themselves with Super's schedule. I feel so teased!

EDIT: Oh yeah, that new ED is dreadful. Yikes. Yamamuro's construction issues are becoming more and more prevalent.
Well, at least this episode looks great but yeah you're right about the new ending.
Last edited by majinwarman on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:18 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Stunning art, good direction and great storyboard. Super has another damn good entry in its back pocket
It's good that Super is starting this year with a strong episode.
Majinwarman

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:28 pm

majinwarman wrote: Well, at least this episode looks great but yeah you're right about the next episode preview.
He didn't say anything about the next episode preview...

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:30 pm

Ajay wrote:EDIT: Oh yeah, that new ED is dreadful. Yikes. Yamamuro's construction issues are becoming more and more prevalent.
They just plastered the promo art poses on a white background. What the hell was that!?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:31 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Ajay wrote:EDIT: Oh yeah, that new ED is dreadful. Yikes. Yamamuro's construction issues are becoming more and more prevalent.
They just plastered the promo art poses on a white background. What the hell was that!?
Yamamuro is likely super busy right now and for some reason they didn't grab someone else to do the ED so the director did the worst possible thing.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:37 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Yamamuro is likely super busy right now and for some reason they didn't grab someone else to do the ED so the director did the worst possible thing.
It meant the new ending for the series!! I totally messed up on what I said.
Majinwarman

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:28 pm

-Episode 122-

Fantastic episode!!
We ended 2017 on a high note and started 2018 on a higher note.

Toei just has to find a way to convince Takahashi to be under their wing. A Monster like him can't be freelancer for any longer!!
It's not only about his art and animation, his shading is also unbelievable and that's an area where the other animators can all improve on.

Shida's storyboard was great, but I didn't like how the Final Flash scene is just like the original one against Cell. It's also a shame he didn't do some key animation, so I just hope he comes back for the climax and he does something memorable. While I find his cuts awesome 99% of the time, the two cuts we had from him in this arc are not impressive compared to what he did in FT Trunks arc or in other shows.

Still hoping Takahashi comes back one more time to supervise a last ToP episode in March.

The new Ending is terrible.
Bad song and bad storyboard. The last shot with all the character designs pasted looks like cheap photoshop.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:50 pm

The two stand-out scenes for anyone who doesn't keep up with the Sakugabooru uploads:

It's pretty impressive to see work like this on top of extraordinarily polished supervision. Takahashi really is just absurdly talented.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:05 pm

Prediction: Takahashi doesn't work in the rotation after next to work on #130 until the last possible second.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:47 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:-Episode 122-

Fantastic episode!!
We ended 2017 on a high note and started 2018 on a higher note.

Toei just has to find a way to convince Takahashi to be under their wing. A Monster like him can't be freelancer for any longer!!
It's not only about his art and animation, his shading is also unbelievable and that's an area where the other animators can all improve on.

Shida's storyboard was great, but I didn't like how the Final Flash scene is just like the original one against Cell. It's also a shame he didn't do some key animation, so I just hope he comes back for the climax and he does something memorable. While I find his cuts awesome 99% of the time, the two cuts we had from him in this arc are not impressive compared to what he did in FT Trunks arc or in other shows.

Still hoping Takahashi comes back one more time to supervise a last ToP episode in March.

The new Ending is terrible.
Bad song and bad storyboard. The last shot with all the character designs pasted looks like cheap photoshop.
The new ending looked like they got lazy so they just copy and paste from the Toei Dragon Ball Super website. It didn't seem like they were even trying at all. I found the song to be okay but it isn't better than the last ending. Which was a great ending in my opinion because I like the callbacks to early Dragon Ball and Z. Plus, the song just rocks.
Majinwarman

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:54 am

Takahashi delivers once again, there was some jaw-dropping stuff in there. What was up with the SSJ2 SSB hair though? It looked horrible.

Speaking of horrible, that ending is just... awful. The animation, the song, everything about it just sucks. Even ignoring the awful promo art white background, the picture of Goku and Vegeta at the end there looks really bad.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:03 am

Gokuu's hair the A-Part might have been a last minute change. Maybe someone can ask Shida Naotoshi on Twitter if his storyboard was supposed to have Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan or Super Saiyan 2?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:02 am

That SSB2 hair was extremely confusing. I initially thought they were trying to imply that he actually went SSB2 because of the lightning effects during the power up, and then SEVERAL subsequent shots having the SSJ2 hairstyle. But then it reverts back to normal SSJ later on in the episode and in the preview for next week.

I've never seen the hair be that consistently incorrect for that many shots in a row. And it didn't even look good on top of that. Very bizarre.