Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:42 pm

I just how that when/if Super comes back, a different approach is taken visually. Let some of the promising young blood take the helm.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:12 pm

Even Ono was caught off guard by this announcement. He just found out about it yesterday:
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/954141093582401536

Also Ono is the animation director for 126, I guess.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:27 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I just how that when/if Super comes back, a different approach is taken visually. Let some of the promising young blood take the helm.
I want some younger people to work on Super as well when it comes back. It will benefit Dragon Ball in the long term future.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:07 pm

Asura wrote:
Jaetinh wrote:I remember some of you guys have albums of screenshots from various episodes, is that right? You guys mind sharing the albums from episode which contains Takahashi Goku SSJGod?
I was able to find these two albums which may be what you're looking for.

https://imgur.com/gallery/IFQLb

https://imgur.com/gallery/kzVmi
supersaiyanZero wrote:Has anyone addressed why Z looks so much more detailed than Super? Not talking about animation here per se, but so far everything in Super feels clean and flat. Is this a production schedule issue?
The character designs have gotten simpler and simpler over the years, this can be attributed to Super's main character designer, Yamamuro. I don't think it's a production scheduling issue as much as it is just the character designers being much simpler. Z ran on a weekly basis just like Super. Here's a great picture that helps show some of the difference in old vs new.

It's more than that. The battle damage, the backgrounds, the clothing, hell even the expressions - it all looks very flat with the most minute amount of detail.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:47 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:Even Ono was caught off guard by this announcement. He just found out about it yesterday:
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/954141093582401536

Also Ono is the animation director for 126, I guess.
He said he knew about it for months, he just learned now that 126 would be his last (presumably because the full staff list for episode 131has been closed)

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:53 pm

Now that DBS will be over, I want Nagamine to be the Director of the new Movie more than ever.

As for the show returning, I'm not sure why some people are confident that when the show returns (if it does as a TV series), it will look better than ever.
it would stupid for them to make the same mistakes they did with DBS, but I'm seeing a lot of assumptions here.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:50 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Now that DBS will be over, I want Nagamine to be the Director of the new Movie more than ever.

As for the show returning, I'm not sure why some people are confident that when the show returns (if it does as a TV series), it will look better than ever.
it would stupid for them to make the same mistakes they did with DBS, but I'm seeing a lot of assumptions here.
Super's problems stemmed from a very specific situation, but Fuji TV says discussions about the future of Dragon Ball on TV are already happening, so it's very unlikely that the next show will be a last second decision like Super was.

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:04 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Now that DBS will be over, I want Nagamine to be the Director of the new Movie more than ever.

Super's problems stemmed from a very specific situation, but Fuji TV says discussions about the future of Dragon Ball on TV are already happening, so it's very unlikely that the next show will be a last second decision like Super was.
Where do you get this information from about Fuji TV's discussions? Just curious.
How i got into this shit:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:13 pm

FartiliciousManChild wrote: Where do you get this information from about Fuji TV's discussions? Just curious.
The newspaper that announced that Kitaro was taking Super's spot, then another newspaper said the same thing.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:38 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:

I am still mad they wasted the free year of Buu Kai not getting their shit together they didn't need ResF to be a success to launch DBS.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I am still mad they wasted the free year of Buu Kai not getting their shit together they didn't need ResF to be a success to launch DBS.
"Get their shit together"??? Toei and Fuji TV weren't planning on doing a new series in the first place.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:45 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I am still mad they wasted the free year of Buu Kai not getting their shit together they didn't need ResF to be a success to launch DBS.
"Get their shit together"??? Toei and Fuji TV weren't planning on doing a new series in the first place.
They wanted Buu Kai to be a year, so they knew it was gonna end yet they didn't plan for what would happen when it did? So that tells me they had a "cross the bridge" attitude. If something airing has a definitive ending then should plan ahead for when it ends.

Granted we may not have gotten DBS if they did plan ahead... so I guess it may have been a good thing.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:20 pm

Yeah, that part of DBS being a last minute decision always sounded fishy to me. They should have known Buu Kai would end and have their next show ready to air when that time came, just like how it's happening with Kitaro now.

My guess is that they were trying to bring Toriyama on board, but he was redundant on that idea and that delayed everything.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:55 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
FartiliciousManChild wrote: Where do you get this information from about Fuji TV's discussions? Just curious.
The newspaper that announced that Kitaro was taking Super's spot, then another newspaper said the same thing.
Well, at least they are talking and planning if they want Super back. Though, I doubt we will hear anything about it until many months later.
Majinwarman

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:47 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:Yeah, that part of DBS being a last minute decision always sounded fishy to me. They should have known Buu Kai would end and have their next show ready to air when that time came, just like how it's happening with Kitaro now.

My guess is that they were trying to bring Toriyama on board, but he was redundant on that idea and that delayed everything.
Super absolutely was a last minute decision, and there not being a show to take Kai's spot was Fuji TV's fault.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:29 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Super absolutely was a last minute decision, and there not being a show to take Kai's spot was Fuji TV's fault.
What do they do if a show is canned and there's no replacement ready? Re-air an old show?

Super gets a lot of shit for how it looks but I think it's astounding it looks as good as it does considering everything working against it. Episode 5 got cleaned up and the only episodes that look really really bad are the three where Goku fights Frieza.

Now that the show's ending I wonder if they might go back and touch up some of the worst parts?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:18 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote: Super gets a lot of shit for how it looks but I think it's astounding it looks as good as it does considering everything working against it. Episode 5 got cleaned up and the only episodes that look really really bad are the three where Goku fights Frieza.
There's a big difference in quality between Universe Survival arc and everything that came before.
It's funny how the most ambitious arc that introduced the biggest number of characters and is having non-stop fighting for 20+ episodes is the best the show ever looked. They should be proud.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:41 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: Super gets a lot of shit for how it looks but I think it's astounding it looks as good as it does considering everything working against it. Episode 5 got cleaned up and the only episodes that look really really bad are the three where Goku fights Frieza.
There's a big difference in quality between Universe Survival arc and everything that came before.
It's funny how the most ambitious arc that introduced the biggest number of characters and is having non-stop fighting for 20+ episodes is the best the show ever looked. They should be proud.
They should be proud but I doubt many will give them the credit they deserved for turning this show around. Most shows would get canceled and wouldn't get a chance to fix their mistakes. It's amazing what they have done and should be a lesson that with patience everything can be fix. But, please don't do this again Toei if a new Dragon Ball show happens in the future.
Majinwarman

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:48 pm

Episode 124

Animations Supervisors
Yoichi Onishi
Joey Calangian
Noel Anonuevo

Assistant Animation Supervisor
Shuuichiro Manabe

Key Animators
Toei Phils.
Kohei Kajiwara
Yukihiro Kitano
Atsushi Nikaido
Setsuko Nobuzane
Yuki Osada
Futoshi Higashide
Miyuki Yokoyama

Second Key Animators
Asashi Productions

I'm blown away by how dreadful that was. That's by far the weakest episode since this arc began. I'm not even exaggerating when I say there was more reused action than actual new content. What on earth is even going on?

Last week I could understand... Toei building move + Christmas break = not fun. But this shouldn't have been too affected. Nothing should ever result in an episode turning out like this unless your production's melting... or this is calculated.

If it's the latter, then why on earth would you factor that into the finale of your biggest arc yet?! It's baffling. We had Shuuichiro Manabe here! Nikaido... Higashide... How on earth?!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:51 pm

There was a lot of re-used animation and loops/atatatatata, not even episode 97 or 102 had that amount of re-used animation. This is starting to remind me to Toriko, its production was also melting toward their end of series.