Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:09 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I thought this episode was better than last weeks in terms of consistency with art, animation however yeah nothing special but for an episode like this I didn't think it needed to be, what we got was sufficient enough to leave me satisfied.

Also I don't know people just assumed since DBS was ending these episodes were gonna look good to great, there was no guarantee, hell there is no guarantee for the finale, play it by ear as always.
The finale is guaranteed to have an episode better than 66 and 110, that much should be obvious just by the fact they won't have to worry about the production collapsing in the following episodes. What's to be seen is if we will only get more high quality episode or if it will be just one. At the very least we should expect one good episode followed by an awesome one like with 65 and 66 and 109 and 110.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:31 am

emperior wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I thought this episode was better than last weeks in terms of consistency with art, animation however yeah nothing special but for an episode like this I didn't think it needed to be, what we got was sufficient enough to leave me satisfied.

Also I don't know people just assumed since DBS was ending these episodes were gonna look good to great, there was no guarantee, hell there is no guarantee for the finale, play it by ear as always.
The finale is guaranteed to have an episode better than 66 and 110, that much should be obvious just by the fact they won't have to worry about the production collapsing in the following episodes. What's to be seen is if we will only get more high quality episode or if it will be just one. At the very least we should expect one good episode followed by an awesome one like with 65 and 66 and 109 and 110.
Did you just say 65 was great?

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:15 am

I'd like to know, considering some AD's are coming to their last episodes, can't they help in the next episodes until the end of the series?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:22 am

I'm confused as to why people would be confused as to why episodes this far away from the finale might be struggling. If focus is on the final few episodes this is where we'd see things be hurt.
Besides, like I said, the Toei half was fine and Joey Calangian, Noel Ano-nuevo's half was pretty consistent with their last half in 118, full of animation reuse. The only thing that worries me compared to 118 is Manabe having to step in on the Toei Phils half.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:37 am

Amir wrote:
emperior wrote:

#65 is pretty underrated, the same with #109 they both got swallowed up by the subsequent main event episodes. #65 had great SB and direction as well as some neat animation from Higashide and Tate.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:42 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Amir wrote:
emperior wrote: The finale is guaranteed to have an episode better than 66 and 110, that much should be obvious just by the fact they won't have to worry about the production collapsing in the following episodes. What's to be seen is if we will only get more high quality episode or if it will be just one. At the very least we should expect one good episode followed by an awesome one like with 65 and 66 and 109 and 110.
#65 is pretty underrated, the same with #109 they both got swallowed up by the subsequent main event episodes. #65 had great SB and direction as well as some neat animation from Higashide and Tate.
DIsagree, 65 had good SB but the animation really sucked, Tate's animation was bad and rushed as hell with a lot of horrible art, the only thing that was good in this episode was some effects work from Higashide and a bit from Tate I guess, there was barely even any character animation in this episode.

109 was awesome, on the level of 110 to me, not any less in the least.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:12 pm

Amir wrote:
emperior wrote:

I rewatched it recently in my dub, and the episode holds up pretty well in my opinion. It's absolutely not on the level of 109 (or 38 and 86 to name other Tate episodes) but it's still a good episode nonetheless. The board was good, the Tate bits were nice, the beam struggles too and there were two nice impact frames when Goku and Vegeta transformed.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:00 pm

- Episode 124 -

This episode had more reused animation that I was expecting at this point, but it's also done in a way that doesn't me annoy me much (unlike episode 102).

The writing definitely carries this one.
A battle in the cage is something I wasn't expecting to see in my Dragon Ball, and it's good to know that even at this late in the game they can still come up with creative ideas. I really liked that part.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:17 pm

emperior wrote:
Asura wrote:
Derf wrote:This was a conservative episode that did its job well
That's just the problem though, we've got 7 episodes left until the series ends (for now). We shouldn't be getting conservative episodes this late into the game.
I agree. I will be quite disappointed if the last three/four episodes aren't incredibly awesome, considering all the conservative stuff we have gotten and are still getting throughout all this arc. They have no excuse this time around considering this is Super's finale and they won't have to worry about producing more episodes after 131, which means they can focus all of the staff into these last 7 episodes.
Next episode doesn't seem to be anything special and it will be most likely a solo effort by Yashima, and at most we can expect a good key animator popping up in the last few minutes to provide a good cut like it happened in 117.
126 is where the good things may start. Yamamuro storyboarding might mean that it will be an important episode, so perhaps episode 126 onwards is where they concentrated all the good staff and stuff.
Yamamuro seems to be pretty busy with the new DB movie. So if it goes to work on EP 126, surely this episode will be something important.

Do you have the staff list of this EP?

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:20 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
emperior wrote:
Asura wrote:
That's just the problem though, we've got 7 episodes left until the series ends (for now). We shouldn't be getting conservative episodes this late into the game.
I agree. I will be quite disappointed if the last three/four episodes aren't incredibly awesome, considering all the conservative stuff we have gotten and are still getting throughout all this arc. They have no excuse this time around considering this is Super's finale and they won't have to worry about producing more episodes after 131, which means they can focus all of the staff into these last 7 episodes.
Next episode doesn't seem to be anything special and it will be most likely a solo effort by Yashima, and at most we can expect a good key animator popping up in the last few minutes to provide a good cut like it happened in 117.
126 is where the good things may start. Yamamuro storyboarding might mean that it will be an important episode, so perhaps episode 126 onwards is where they concentrated all the good staff and stuff.
Yamamuro seems to be pretty busy with the new DB movie. So if it goes to work on EP 126, surely this episode will be something important.

Script: Ayumu Hisao
Animation Supervisors: Tsutomu Ono & Yasuhiro Namatame
Storyboard: Yoshitaka Yashima & Tadayoshi Yamamuro
Director: Takao Iwai

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Psykomatik wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:
emperior wrote: I agree. I will be quite disappointed if the last three/four episodes aren't incredibly awesome, considering all the conservative stuff we have gotten and are still getting throughout all this arc. They have no excuse this time around considering this is Super's finale and they won't have to worry about producing more episodes after 131, which means they can focus all of the staff into these last 7 episodes.

So, based on this staff, what awaits us for this episode?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:56 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Psykomatik wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:

So, based on this staff, what awaits us for this episode?
Writing wise hard to call new writer. Supervision, at most probably decent. SB Yashima's half to be excellent, Yamamuro hard to say since he last SB the ResF special I believe but most of the work was already done by the Manga as he just pulled from it and lately it is hard to tell when it comes to direction. And as always depends on who is KAing when it comes to actual animation, but giving a lot of the main KA's have already popped up the last few eps and been conservative I don't expect much in the KA dept here (unless of course some of them were working on this episode and were pulled in to help finish some of the previous ones).

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Could it be that Manabe and Tate showing up to help in these past episodes be because they are either finished with their episodes, or that they are far enough away that they can spare some time on these, since their next ones are basically their last?
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:54 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I'm confused as to why people would be confused as to why episodes this far away from the finale might be struggling. If focus is on the final few episodes this is where we'd see things be hurt.
Besides, like I said, the Toei half was fine and Joey Calangian, Noel Ano-nuevo's half was pretty consistent with their last half in 118, full of animation reuse. The only thing that worries me compared to 118 is Manabe having to step in on the Toei Phils half.
118 wasn't Noel Ano-nuevo's last episode, they were credited as animation supervisors on 121.

As for 126, I'm going to be a little optimist and say that Yamamuro's storyboarding capabilities could have improved since his poor showing on the ROF film, as evidenced by some of his work on the extended edition of the film, which I distinctly remember not being half terrible.

Ice85

Post by Ice85 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:31 am

Although next episode will look mediocre because it's most likely a solo Yashima effort, there's most likely going to be a great key animator doing an important part like back in 117, so I'm excited for that.

I know this is off topic, but I think that we're a getting a brand new Dragon Ball series in 2019 with a different name because too many people associate "Dragon Ball Super" with bad animation, bad storytelling, etc. The new movie's job is to create hype for the new series, just like Ressurection F did with Super. This is just a theory though!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:02 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:I'm confused as to why people would be confused as to why episodes this far away from the finale might be struggling. If focus is on the final few episodes this is where we'd see things be hurt.
118 wasn't Noel Ano-nuevo's last episode, they were credited as animation supervisors on 121.

As for 126, I'm going to be a little optimist and say that Yamamuro's storyboarding capabilities could have improved since his poor showing on the ROF film, as evidenced by some of his work on the extended edition of the film, which I distinctly remember not being half terrible.
121 was Paul, not Noel.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:50 pm

JazzMazz wrote:

I'm fairly sure that's because the majority of the special was pulled directly from the Manga.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:19 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:

I'm fairly sure that's because the majority of the special was pulled directly from the Manga.
Maybe he will amaze us with his work. I highly doubt it though. I still hoping I'm wrong because I want that episode to be great.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:01 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:

I'm referring to the parts he did in the future, which were completely unique.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:25 pm

Jeez. How many projects do Toei handle? They're involved in another one, looks like Tomoika is involved unsurprisingly since he's probably done with DBS ages ago.

Reasons like this I am still cautious. DBS maybe ending but it doesn't look like it's gonna be exactly one less project for Toei.