Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

perucho1990
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:38 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:-Episode 128-

Boring episode.

I watched this episode mentally prepared this would be the last one from Toshio and I'm disappointed this how my favourite writer goes out.

I just can't stand Vegeta at this point. It's like the writers all gathered in a room and decided to make Vegeta a motivational punchbag in the last episodes. Always remembering his family, always remembering Cabba, always talking about his pride, always doing another Final Flash...geez the episode got better when he has eliminated, but with this boring storyboard, lame direction and fight scenes this episode couldn't be saved. Not matter how much Jiren punched Vegeta and Goku, blood wouldn't come out either.

The Ultra Instinct awakening was also much better the other two times.

The only thing I liked was to see Vegeta shedding tears, because it captures well his frustration.

I have good expectations for episode 129 and I expect episode 130 to blow my mind.
In the NEP, Mastered UI Goku's face has Takahashi shading. If it's not him, it's good to see some animators taking notes to him even though it's too late now.

So far episode 125 is destroying everything that followed for me. Kazuya Karasawa is a monster. If Nagamine/Nakamura don't come back, I would like him to have full control over episode 130.
i was going to ask how come DBS isnt allowed to show blood at 9am yet series like Nanatsu no Taizai can show blood despite having a morning timeslot(6:30am), does it have to do with the series director, TV Station?

thezander

Post by thezander » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:58 pm

You guys mess with my head, was blood that prevalent in dbz that it's absence is that noticable? What does it really add? These godlike humans should not be bleeding anyways. Now I'm not saying the impact of a good amount of blood is list on me it's made many more scenes in dbz that much more epic. Gohan vs cell, Goku and freeze, etc. But in super it doesn't seem necessary because I don't notice the lack of it till it's pointed out.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:36 am

Upon second viewing (and in HD) I found it a bit more enjoyable. I stand by my original statement as well. Not a fan of the direction too much, but Yamamuro's storyboard was okay. He practically just finished 126 and I'm positive I saw some of his touch ups in this episode...some nice shots.

However, I do think next episode is going to be great. We're nearing the end lads!

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:59 am

thezander wrote:You guys mess with my head, was blood that prevalent in dbz that it's absence is that noticable? What does it really add? These godlike humans should not be bleeding anyways. Now I'm not saying the impact of a good amount of blood is list on me it's made many more scenes in dbz that much more epic. Gohan vs cell, Goku and freeze, etc. But in super it doesn't seem necessary because I don't notice the lack of it till it's pointed out.
It doesn’t matter how strong someone is. If they are getting beat in up by someone far stronger they should still take damage and from the way Vegeta was getting beat down on and how many times they kept showing the same scene of Goku getting pounded in the face by Jiren, it would be logical for there to be a little blood.

Man, I'm tired of just always seeing spit or saliva instead of blood. It just doesn’t feel as natural.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:08 am

It was a decent episode in terms of animation. Nothing to write home about, and definitely nothing to criticize IMO.

Next episode is looking really good, surprised there's not really much hype about it here.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:14 am

Boy, what that a shit show of an episode. All these mediocre episodes in a row and not even Vegeta's big, final episode can get good animation with emotion behind it? Golly.

Horrible directing, too, but that was to be expected, I suppose.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:27 am

Storyboarding and directing definitely could've been stronger.

But, from the extended preview of 129, it looks incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb0lBI7LCf0

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:45 am

I'm surprised I'm not seeing more people give credit to the ACTUAL CHOREOGRAPHY the fights in this episode had. The animation itself wasn't super impressive or anything, but I thought the bits of actual hand-to-hand combat were pretty well executed and made the fights feel more impactful than they have in recent episodes, despite the lacking direction in this episode. Gave me mad Rocky vibes.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:08 am

Artorias wrote:I'm surprised I'm not seeing more people give credit to the ACTUAL CHOREOGRAPHY the fights in this episode had. The animation itself wasn't super impressive or anything, but I thought the bits of actual hand-to-hand combat were pretty well executed and made the fights feel more impactful than they have in recent episodes, despite the lacking direction in this episode. Gave me mad Rocky vibes.
I feel like some of the action could have been better framed, making the admittedly very interesting choreography a little underwhelming at points. I especially didn't like the use of those flat long shots and even extreme long shots during the action.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:56 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Artorias wrote:I'm surprised I'm not seeing more people give credit to the ACTUAL CHOREOGRAPHY the fights in this episode had. The animation itself wasn't super impressive or anything, but I thought the bits of actual hand-to-hand combat were pretty well executed and made the fights feel more impactful than they have in recent episodes, despite the lacking direction in this episode. Gave me mad Rocky vibes.
I feel like some of the action could have been better framed, making the admittedly very interesting choreography a little underwhelming at points. I especially didn't like the use of those flat long shots and even extreme long shots during the action.
It's true that the storyboard could've used some work, but after all of the repeat frame and ki blast spam we've had in this tournament, I'll take some actual good old martial arts combat for a change. Yamamuro gets some much deserved shit, but the one thing I will always appreciate is his martial arts hand-to-hand focus in his animation and apparently his storyboards that bring things back to the good old days.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:27 am

What do you guys mean when you say weak direction?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:31 am

Amir wrote:What do you guys mean when you say weak direction?
Weak music placement and timing, also referring to a complete lack of atmosphere through stuff like lighting, they also make sure to approve stuff, like animators layouts, they supervise the art department, CG staff and so on.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:42 am

Thought this episode was decent enough. Didn't expect much but it's fine for what it was.

Next episode looks beyond hype though.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:25 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Weak music placement and timing, also referring to a complete lack of atmosphere through stuff like lighting, they also make sure to approve stuff, like animators layouts, they supervise the art department, CG staff and so on.
Well, I get what you mean now, thanks for the explanation. I thought it wasn't that bad. The music placement was good unlike ep115, the UI stuff was on point, the timing however was pretty weak and everything including the animation felt too slow paced. Too many flashbacks and a bit of dragging out with the Vegeta stuff.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:21 am

JazzMazz wrote:
The fact that they stayed in literally one part of the arena for most of the episode made it feel like by the end of the episode, nothing really happened. No change in scenery, barely any damage done to the stage, it just made the events of episode 128 seem like they didn’t affect off change a thing. That especially annoys me since Vegeta’s my favorite character and i was hoping for this episode to blow me away but its sadly didn’t.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:25 am

Asura wrote:It was a decent episode in terms of animation. Nothing to write home about, and definitely nothing to criticize IMO.

Next episode is looking really good, surprised there's not really much hype about it here.
I think that most people don't care anymore.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Rabdom User

Post by Rabdom User » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:50 am

Guys,I think I found Yuichi Karasawa on the NEP
[spoiler]Image Image Image Image[/spoiler]

What do you think,is he gonna supervise on the NEP alongside with Nii and Nashizawa,or he will only do key animation?

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:39 pm

Rabdom User wrote:Guys,I think I found Yuichi Karasawa on the NEP
[spoiler]Image Image Image Image[/spoiler]

What do you think,is he gonna supervise on the NEP alongside with Nii and Nashizawa,or he will only do key animation?
Probably just key animation. I dont see him supervising anything else in Super.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:58 pm

Well at least SSGSS was drawn fairly well in what looks to be it's final appearance :(

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Small but Goku's shirt going off as he goes UI is too badass well better then Jiren ripping it off, makes up weeks without shirtless Goku.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:02 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Asura wrote:It was a decent episode in terms of animation. Nothing to write home about, and definitely nothing to criticize IMO.

I think that most people don't care anymore.
Why would people not care anymore? This is the finale of the show.