Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by Asura » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Hit!! wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:No time update. Looks like the theories of the fight continuing into #131 could be true afterall.
That's a little worrying. If they're still going at it in 131 it'll leave very little time to wrap things up. Guess we'll know when the previews come out this week.
I think that could only mean 2 things, the show is actually taking a break instead of ending, or that episode 131 will be a 1 hour special, like some people have been predicting....

I think the first one is whats actually happening.. It will probably even end in a cliffhanger!!!
If 131 was a 1 hour special, wouldn't we have known about it already?

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:41 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:
Artorias wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:

Absolutely not, the reveal was one of the highlights of this underwhelming episode, and mostly people agree on this from what I've been seeing. It's fine.
Uhh...no they do not. Speak for yourself. I've seen several people mocking that nose and face since it was revealed. Are you also not aware of the mass disappointment that they changed that shot from Nii to Yammy? That reveal shot has been literally the exact opposite of a "highlight", at least in terms of visuals.

Not sure why you decided to come off as rude. Anyways, uh no I'm not just speaking for myself. Number one, "several people" is not the majority and the several you describe are a few on Ajays video or the few who dislike Yamamuro on Twitter. Mass disappointment? Once again, this only applies to some who watched the breakdown video although many of us also preferred the correction for reasons such as correct anatomy, better lighting and clearer fists. If you made a poll on the big Youtubers or social media about whether or not the reveal looked good, you would get a huge positive reaction. Much more than negative.

So you can have your opinion as well, but don't go throwing around things like "mass disappointment" when it isn't. Many people enjoyed it and agree it was one of the highlights (with Karasawa being the main one for me). Some others like yourself I suppose didn't. That's fine too. Nii's was fantastic in its own way as well.
How did anything I say come off as rude...? I responded to what I believe was an incorrect statement with my own statement...

Anyways, you're right "mass disappointment" was hyperbolic. What I meant was widespread disappointment within the "animation community". Which I think is relevant considering this is an animation topic in a cartoon forumn, very specific.

But I guess we'll agree to disagree. I still find that face ugly, or at the very least severely underwhelming for a reveal shot of a new form.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:53 pm

I have already stated I was disappointed with episode 129, which was probably because I had big expectations for it - but I would like to say just how much I loved Karasawa's and Nii work. I wished I could see more, but along Mitsuka they definitely saved the episode.

I would just like it if when Blu-Rays get released, they will go back and polish this episode's rougher cuts (the Shida and 109 bank was really poorly done) and potentially add some new animation in place of the bank animation.
They could probably do it considering Blu-Rays will release when Super will be well over, and it would definitely be nice if they tried to fix these latest rough episodes, starting from 123, to be better and to have less animation re-use.
I don't really care much about the other episodes though, if I could just choose one episode I would like to see improved that would probably be 129 as it has stellar writing, direction and board in my opinion.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:22 pm

I'd compare Karasawa to 80s/90s Takeo Ide. The facial features are always kinda wonky but the bodies and animation are always fantastic from him.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:29 pm

I posted this in the episode discussion thread but I think it's relevant here too. Even if we ignore the terribly mediocre animation, the storyboarding and directing for this episode was wonderful. Here are a few of my favorite shots that really show a great sense of scale, lighting, cinematic views, etc.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

I also fully 100% understand everyone's complaints about 128's directing now when compared to something like 129.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:58 pm

Asura wrote:I posted this in the episode discussion thread but I think it's relevant here too. Even if we ignore the terribly mediocre animation, the storyboarding and directing for this episode was wonderful. Here are a few of my favorite shots that really show a great sense of scale, lighting, cinematic views, etc.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

I also fully 100% understand everyone's complaints about 128's directing now when compared to something like 129.

On my first viewing I was so distracted by the underwhelming first half that I felt the SB and Directing were simply okay. Upon second and third viewing, the shine of the 2nd half made me appreciate it much more.

paulo89988

Post by paulo89988 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:09 am

Does anyone know if these shots were by Karasawa or Nii?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:22 am

paulo89988 wrote:Does anyone know if these shots were by Karasawa or Nii?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Nii would be my guess, those shots were from Nii's section of the episode.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:15 am

Mitsuka got owned. Super does it yet again. I hope he gets to work on something next where he doesn't have to compromise this much. Kitaro might be a nice place or best case return to Precure where he belongs.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:19 am

Ajay in his video said fans shouldn't ignore everything preceding the last few minutes? I gotta disagree 100%. He brought up Z and I'm amazed he never brought up #95 that directly correlates to this, that episode was pure trash until the end when Goku goes SS, heck I don't remember much of that episode at all besides the obvious SS scene. Yet that doesn't stop fans citing that as one of their favourite episodes if only just for the SS scene.

It's the same thing here, if the episode achieved what it set out to do ie Goku master UI and did in an epic way fans have every right to wave everything prior away.

Compared to Z #95 this episode was no where near that bad (as in before the SS scene).

Shreyas_Singh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shreyas_Singh » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:58 am

No Shida, Onishii, Otsuka or Takahashi scene in the #130 preview has me a little worried. The excessively reused animation in this episode isn't a good indicator either.
Feel free to correct me if I say something wrong.

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:08 am

Shreyas_Singh wrote:No Shida, Onishii, Otsuka or Takahashi scene in the #130 preview has me a little worried. The excessively reused animation in this episode isn't a good indicator either.
Takahashi is on 131, so you can look forward to that episode (though his work will probably be over-corrected by Yammy since he's the supervisor, keep that in mind).

I completely forgot about Otsuka! I hope he'll give us something amazing for his last contribution on Super.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:42 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Ajay in his video said fans shouldn't ignore everything preceding the last few minutes? I gotta disagree 100%. He brought up Z and I'm amazed he never brought up #95 that directly correlates to this, that episode was pure trash until the end when Goku goes SS, heck I don't remember much of that episode at all besides the obvious SS scene. Yet that doesn't stop fans citing that as one of their favourite episodes if only just for the SS scene.

It's the same thing here, if the episode achieved what it set out to do ie Goku master UI and did in an epic way fans have every right to wave everything prior away.

Compared to Z #95 this episode was no where near that bad (as in before the SS scene).
I think you have a point with that but that episode didn't have two minutes full of reused animation. I still enjoyed the episode but I'm not going to forget about its faults.
Last edited by majinwarman on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:43 am

Firebolt wrote:
Shreyas_Singh wrote:No Shida, Onishii, Otsuka or Takahashi scene in the #130 preview has me a little worried. The excessively reused animation in this episode isn't a good indicator either.
Takahashi is on 131, so you can look forward to that episode (though his work will probably be over-corrected by Yammy since he's the supervisor, keep that in mind).

I completely forgot about Otsuka! I hope he'll give us something amazing for his last contribution on Super.
I think that Otsuka may show up at the end of episode 130.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:16 pm

Honestly, where was shida all this time? he didn't deliver anything since 110

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:17 pm

cuartas wrote:Honestly, where was shida all this time? he didn't deliver anything since 110
Working on PreCure mainly
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:17 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Ajay in his video said fans shouldn't ignore everything preceding the last few minutes? I gotta disagree 100%. He brought up Z and I'm amazed he never brought up #95 that directly correlates to this, that episode was pure trash until the end when Goku goes SS, heck I don't remember much of that episode at all besides the obvious SS scene. Yet that doesn't stop fans citing that as one of their favourite episodes if only just for the SS scene.

You have a point, although I wouldn't call 95 bad because nothing happened before the transformation. On the contrary, I actually always loved how it played out like Freeza was truly defeated, there was a calm sense of peace before the storm - Freeza popping out of nowhere and piercing Piccolo with a beam and then blowing Krillin up is a totally tense "shit escalated way too quickly" moment, which culminates with Goku finally going Super Saiyan which will always be the most iconic scene of Dragon Ball, and the anime portrayed it extremely well.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:49 pm

Shida wasn't in the preview for his Golden Freeza vs Goku cut pre ToP so that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

We know Shida's popping up nothing to worry about.

The fact this episode had good amount of re-used bodes well for #130/1. The NEP not being crazy I think is a good thing.

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:41 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I still enjoyed the episode but I'm not going to forget about its faults.
How is reusing animation a "fault" exactly? It's not like Toei is trying to hide the fact that they've been reusing animation; they're pretty obvious at pointing it out. Is it a short-cut to pump out episodes on time? Yep. Is it a sign of a struggling animation studio? Yep. Is it a fault though? The fault may be in Toeis's failure to properly manage its workload so they don't have to resort to previously used animation, but the fault is not on the actual act of using it. It's not even bad animation, everything that people complain about being reused in that episode looks GOOD.

So I don't understand why people hate it so much and why they think it was such a taboo. Or would you rather have another SSJ3 vs Beerus episode? Hey, at least it's not reused animation!
Last edited by 8bitdee on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:48 pm

8bitdee wrote:So I don't understand why people hate it so much and why they think it was such a taboo.
For me, like I mentioned in my video, it's absolutely impossible for me to immerse myself in the episode or feel any excitement when all I'm filled with is this feeling of, "Yeah, I've seen this all before".
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.