Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by majinwarman » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:49 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Wow. Shida's #57 cut was... Underwhelming. Remember it being so much better. Still way better then anything in the episode but obviously my mind is still plagued with #130.
Yeah, it still love his cut in 57 but it's not at the level we saw at episode 130. It's still good work!
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:21 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Wow. Shida's #57 cut was... Underwhelming. Remember it being so much better. Still way better then anything in the episode but obviously my mind is still plagued with #130.
Yeah, it still love his cut in 57 but it's not at the level we saw at episode 130. It's still good work!
It's crazy but that moment in #57 it looked like it was as good as DBS would ever get but like the theme of breaking limits, DBS did exactly that in the ToP when it came to animation quality!

Crazy watching these pre ToP episodes and thinking at the time #56&7 were heralding as great and they're really not.

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:49 am

I really thought they couldn't top the animation we saw in 130, but wow, I'm speechless. I can't believe they gave Kitano his own solo episode, and he was able to pull off cuts that would make Shida look like an amateur. Still, the writing on this episode left much to be desired (as usual). Why did Grand Padre put a hit on Gohan in the first place? It's never explained, and neither is the reasoning behind El Hermano's slaughter of Jiren's entire village. It was such a lackluster reveal, and it already paints a bad light on Shaggy's character since he just sat there and watched with a smug grin on his face.

Still, this shot in the first half of 132 is beautiful, Kitano has really turned it around, can't wait to see his work in the movie.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:34 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
It's crazy but that moment in #57 it looked like it was as good as DBS would ever get but like the theme of breaking limits, DBS did exactly that in the ToP when it came to animation quality!

Crazy watching these pre ToP episodes and thinking at the time #56&7 were heralding as great and they're really not.
I can't wait to see what is in the movie and hope for a worldwide release as well.( Even though Toei usually ignores the international market.)
Majinwarman

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:51 pm

More new UDM promo art:

How this person isn't doing main promo art... Idk.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:More new UDM promo art:

That promo art is a lot better than what I say recently. They need to keep this artist!
Majinwarman

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:40 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:More new UDM promo art:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

That promo art is a lot better than what I say recently. They need to keep this artist!
Yeah not sure why they've gotten shafted to just doing art for gashapons but I'll keep buying the DP's!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:28 pm

I finished marathoning Tournament of Power and holy shit, I had a blast!!

Episode 130 and 131 are the best Super ever looked with 131 being the number 1 for best direction/storyboard. I can't imagine a better way to Megumi Ishitani to come in and Tadayoshi Yamamuro to "go out".

Most frustrating episode - episode 126

The storyboard is okay, but the writing/direction is terrible:

- It's the episode with the longest recap.
- Freeza appears with his "hohohoho" all happy attacking Toppo, even though he was trashed in the previous episode.
- GoD Toppo seemed scarier in the previous episode and in this one he spams Hakai like it's a normal ki blast.
- Vegeta punches through Toppo's Hakai...
- It's the only ToP episode with a DB Kai footage flashback and at this point that is unforgivable. The flashback is also longer that it should be and it's obvious they were buying time.
- Reused animation. While that's not new in a ToP episode, when you add that to the previous points I mentioned it doesn't help saving this episode.

It's not the worst episode of the Tournament and can even be somehow entertaining, but from the technical department it's indeed the most frustrating. It pisses me off, because it's Vegeta vs GoD Toppo big fight and could've been much better if it got a better writer and direction. Episode 129 for example, is full of reused animation but the writing, direction and storyboard make that episode enjoyable to me.

If we ever get a new TV series, I want Ayumu Hisao to stay away form this franchise. The guy only wrote two episodes for DBS (episode 119 and 126) and they are arguably the worst written episodes from the Tournament. You need to be a really bad writer if you accomplish such a feat... :roll:

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:51 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:I finished marathoning Tournament of Power and holy shit, I had a blast!!

Episode 130 and 131 are the best Super ever looked with 131 being the number 1 for best direction/storyboard. I can't imagine a better way to Megumi Ishitani to come in and Tadayoshi Yamamuro to "go out".

- Freeza appears with his "hohohoho" all happy attacking Toppo, even though he was trashed in the previous episode.
- GoD Toppo seemed scarier in the previous episode and in this one he spams Hakai like it's a normal ki blast.
- It's the only ToP episode with a DB Kai footage flashback and at this point that is unforgivable. The flashback is also longer that it should be and it's obvious they were buying time.
- Reused animation. While that's not new in a ToP episode, when you add that to the previous points I mentioned it doesn't help saving this episode.

It's not the worst episode of the Tournament and can even be somehow entertaining, but from the technical department it's indeed the most frustrating. It pisses me off, because it's Vegeta vs GoD Toppo big fight and could've been much better if it got a better writer and direction. Episode 129 for example, is full of reused animation but the writing, direction and storyboard make that episode enjoyable to me.

If we ever get a new TV series, I want Ayumu Hisao to stay away form this franchise. The guy only wrote two episodes for DBS (episode 119 and 126) and they are arguably the worst written episodes from the Tournament. You need to be a really bad writer if you accomplish such a feat... :roll:
I'd say on a technical level, 111 is far worse than 126.

Espicially considering the content of the episode, its just exceptionally bad in every department. In terms of storyboarding, its flat and uninteresting, in terms of animation, its either rough, or just exceptionally vanilla, in terms of direction, its uneven dull.

I know 126 is an exceptionally dull episode in its own right, but at least it had some interesting things going for it.

Thats simply not the case for episode 111. Technically, its just bad all round.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:09 am

JazzMazz wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:I finished marathoning Tournament of Power and holy shit, I had a blast!!

I'd say on a technical level, 111 is far worse than 126.

Espicially considering the content of the episode, its just exceptionally bad in every department. In terms of storyboarding, its flat and uninteresting, in terms of animation, its either rough, or just exceptionally vanilla, in terms of direction, its uneven dull.

I know 126 is an exceptionally dull episode in its own right, but at least it had some interesting things going for it.

Thats simply not the case for episode 111. Technically, its just bad all round.
Considering the powerhouse that 109/110 was, 111 had an excuse for being bad. In fact, 111 should be praised, considering it didn't fall apart like 67 did after 66 aired.
126 really had no excuse for being as terrible as it was.

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:15 am

Some new DVD covers, way less stiff than the previous ones. Great job Yamamuro! :thumbup:

Rental DVD Volume 39 :
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Rental DVD Volume 40 :
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Blu Ray & DVD Box 10 :
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:06 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed that marathon. I plan on rewatching all of Super in July for the movie.
Majinwarman

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:03 am

Firebolt wrote:Some new DVD covers, way less stiff than the previous ones. Great job Yamamuro! :thumbup:

Rental DVD Volume 39 :
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Rental DVD Volume 40 :
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Blu Ray & DVD Box 10 :
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yeah they certainly are better. I think Yamamuro just had lot of work on his plate the last couple of months, and so a some of his work suffered. He SB 1.5 episodes, supervised all of #131 and not mention popping up in other episodes to polish them, then doing the ED aswell as still doing promo art. That's a hell of a lot of work.

Honestly I feel bad for being critical of him last few months. With adequate time Yamamuro is still competent at the end of the day so if DB is moving away from his designs then hopefully he still sticks around as a KA. With a new series him as a regular supervisor wouldn't be a bad thing.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:33 pm

You mean that after the series finale, two weeks ago, you started to watch the whole thing again back to episode #97? Thirty-four episodes?

Man, you sure like this series, I would not stand to watch all that stalling again any sooner lol
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:07 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Firebolt wrote:Some new DVD covers, way less stiff than the previous ones. Great job Yamamuro! :thumbup:

Rental DVD Volume 39 :
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Rental DVD Volume 40 :
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Blu Ray & DVD Box 10 :
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yeah they certainly are better. I think Yamamuro just had lot of work on his plate the last couple of months, and so a some of his work suffered. He SB 1.5 episodes, supervised all of #131 and not mention popping up in other episodes to polish them, then doing the ED aswell as still doing promo art. That's a hell of a lot of work.

Honestly I feel bad for being critical of him last few months. With adequate time Yamamuro is still competent at the end of the day so if DB is moving away from his designs then hopefully he still sticks around as a KA. With a new series him as a regular supervisor wouldn't be a bad thing.
I would be fine if he just pops in as a regular animator from time to time but I would like a change in the character designs and who is the animation director of Super or a new series.
Majinwarman

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:58 am

Rental DVD Volume 39 :
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Rental DVD Volume 40 :
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Blu Ray & DVD Box 10 :
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I am definitely not feeling that first one. Are they supposed to be looking at each other or are they just two separate shots? Kefla looks a bit strange too but I can't really put my finger on what it is. Looks better than Kitano's horrible Kefla design though, which Dokkan Battle has disappointingly used for all of its Kefla cards for some strange reason.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:58 am

Rental DVD Volume 39 :
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Rental DVD Volume 40 :
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Blu Ray & DVD Box 10 :
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I don't see much of a difference from previous DVD covers. The first two are especially stiff, just look at Goku's arms and Gohan's right arm starting from the neck. The anatomy is just wrong, as it usually is nowadays in most of Yamamuro's works.
I like the third one though, it seems like Yamamuro put more time and effort into that one, maybe because it is the Blu-Ray cover too.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:20 pm

I will never understand why people say 111 was bad. I thought it looked good. Everything was really animated, even little scenes. The art was fune, the effects looked great and the action was fast paced and nicely animated with good choreographed hand to hand scenes.

Bad episodes are like 123, 124, 62, 67, 115...
123 and 115 weren't even that bad, but looked way inferior to 111.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:33 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
You mean that after the series finale, two weeks ago, you started to watch the whole thing again back to episode #97? Thirty-four episodes?

Man, you sure like this series, I would not stand to watch all that stalling again any sooner lol
Actually I started the rewatch before episode 131 aired. Since it was "just" 35 episodes I was supposed to watch 5 episodes a day at least, but due to real life obligations that was not possible and it took longer than I wanted. Now all my focus is back to DB FighterZ. :P

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Amir wrote:I will never understand why people say 111 was bad. I thought it looked good. Everything was really animated, even little scenes. The art was fune, the effects looked great and the action was fast paced and nicely animated with good choreographed hand to hand scenes.

Bad episodes are like 123, 124, 62, 67, 115...
123 and 115 weren't even that bad, but looked way inferior to 111.
I think episode 62 is a little better than 67.
Majinwarman