Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 93

Post by A Man named RJ » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:08 pm

s y wrote:[spoiler]I'm pretty sure this is the right thread to post these scrambled thoughts.

It's strange. I LOVE Tate's work on One Piece emulating the movie 6 but I've been really disappointed in his artowork on Super. obviously it's still animated well but I was expecting more coming from his brilliance on his One Piece episodes.

I'm not a fan of super's art or character design in general(the noses and eye changes are terrible) but Shida has BY FAR been my favorite artist and animator that's worked on DBS. I wish there was some way that he could create new character designs for the series replacing Yamamoro. It'll never happen but a man can dream. Or even just reverting back to Z's style. Super's designs are just so stiff and lack any charm.[/spoiler]
I figure this nugget shouldnt go unaddressed since it's your first post and all.

We've actually gone into quite a bit of detail on those very topics. Here's the breakdown as well as Ajay's (Moderator and creator of this thread) videos on the topic

1: Super's production Issues Explained:

2: The Rise and fall of Yamamuro:
3: And now Naoki Tate
Oh yeah, and Welcome to the Forum, buddy!
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:08 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:There was two pieces of decent animation this episode that amounted to 35 seconds nor did the art maintain any type consistency. Next week looks like nothing special, I would be lying if I said I wasn't underwhelmed so far.
I thought what they showed of Goku and Caulifla looked pretty good...certainly better than anything from this week.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:10 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I want to know who did these shots in the first half.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
SaiyanGod117 wrote:There was two pieces of decent animation this episode that amounted to 35 seconds nor did the art maintain any type consistency. Next week looks like nothing special, I would be lying if I said I wasn't underwhelmed so far.
Except the art was pretty consistent...
And next week is Yashima, the NEP looks pretty damn good for one of his episodes.
I disagree pretty heavily with that. There were quite a few wonky ass shots in there. Vegeta looked terrible in almost every shot for instance. (with the exception of those SUPER nice close ups that you posted)

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:20 pm

So... No reused animation this time?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Noah wrote:So... No reused animation this time?
The start of the episode reused shots from the ending of the previous episode. Also, I believe that Krillin's Kamehameha was reused from when he fought Goku in the recruitment episodes.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Noah wrote:So... No reused animation this time?
There was, Krillin's Kamehameha was reused and a fair amount of reaction dialogue shots were reused. This probably had the least amount of the three episodes so far though.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:33 pm

Guys this tournament will be at the very least 10 episodes of action. With Super's schedule don't expect the animation to be good except for the really crutial and important parts.

I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but I'm almost sure that the last parts of the tournament will make up for it.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:39 pm

The art this episode was just ok, nothing great looking but nothing too horrible. I admit I think Krillin/Roshi's kamehameha beams should have looked a lot better or had bigger impact, they kinda felt like nothing bouncing off the characters they pushed back.

Also is it just me or is 18's face drawn too young looking?

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:14 pm

Art looked great with that filter. The 1st half really wasn't that good. The 2nd half had some nice cuts. Overall a really mediocre episode. Nice to see some Tiger Mask staff and also a new storyboard artist. The NEP genuinely looked really good. Interested to see who's working on it.

I think last week's episode was a bit underrated. It didn't had great animation throughout, but was still fun to watch.

Dai-Saiyajin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai-Saiyajin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:05 am

Sodhi wrote:It is really hard to remember without something like Animator's corner being around anymore. I wish it was easier to find credits that Ajay posts every week on a later date.
If you are interested, i'm updating the animation staff of every episode of super since ep 70 on the DB wikia http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Univer ... isode_List

Lookerman

Post by Lookerman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:40 am

ArchedThunder wrote:I want to know who did these shots in the first half.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Doubt we'll ever get an answer to that since TAP's animators tend to go uncredited unless its a PreCure episode. Not sure if these were corrected shots or that of the raw animator style, though.

Oh, and Ajay, is it possible to stop crediting 八木元喜 as Genki Yagi now that Animator's Corner is gone? It's just something that bugs me given how all other translations don't list him as such.
Last edited by Lookerman on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:42 am

Lookerman wrote: Doubt we'll ever get an answer to that since TAP's animators tend to go uncredited unless its a PreCure episode. Not sure if these were corrected shots or that of the raw animator style, though.
Considering the shots that appear around those I'm guessing they are corrections. They aren't Ide, so my guess is that they are from one of the two 2nd key animators.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:42 am

Dai-Saiyajin wrote: If you are interested, i'm updating the animation staff of every episode of super since ep 70 on the DB wikia http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Univer ... isode_List
Thanks man :)

ShinyPhanpy

Post by ShinyPhanpy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:46 am

Good golly, when comparing Vegeta vs Botamo to Goku vs Botamo in the uni 6 arc you see just how much better this show look now. Other than that, it looked like a pretty good episode to me, it had consistent art and a few good cuts here and there. Also I really wanna know who did the Vegeta segment of this episode, I did not recognise the style but I really like it.

s y

Post by s y » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:22 am

A Man named RJ wrote:
s y wrote:[spoiler]I'm pretty sure this is the right thread to post these scrambled thoughts.

It's strange. I LOVE Tate's work on One Piece emulating the movie 6 but I've been really disappointed in his artowork on Super. obviously it's still animated well but I was expecting more coming from his brilliance on his One Piece episodes.

I'm not a fan of super's art or character design in general(the noses and eye changes are terrible) but Shida has BY FAR been my favorite artist and animator that's worked on DBS. I wish there was some way that he could create new character designs for the series replacing Yamamoro. It'll never happen but a man can dream. Or even just reverting back to Z's style. Super's designs are just so stiff and lack any charm.[/spoiler]
I figure this nugget shouldnt go unaddressed since it's your first post and all.

We've actually gone into quite a bit of detail on those very topics. Here's the breakdown as well as Ajay's (Moderator and creator of this thread) videos on the topic

1: Super's production Issues Explained:

2: The Rise and fall of Yamamuro:
3: And now Naoki Tate
Oh yeah, and Welcome to the Forum, buddy!
Thanks for the welcome man!

Yeah, I'm aware of Ajay's videos. They're all super well made and informative.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:50 am

After rewatching, I've come to realize that first part with Vegeta looks really bad...like... dare I say almost...Resurrection of F arc bad.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:51 am

Artorias wrote:After rewatching, I've come to realize that first part with Vegeta looks really bad...like... dare I say almost...Resurrection of F arc bad.
It doesn't look great, but it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the F arc.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:13 am

1st half for me just felt like typical TAP work TBH. #98 first half was just as equal if not worse than this week's. Hopefully we stop getting TAP starting from #101 so frequently. So far we have gotten Kitano, TAP, TAP, and next week Yashima. Hopefully we start to see Ono, Wanpack, some new supervisors etc. The thing I would say though is that, their work still feels better than most of Super until this arc.

lunaticthegame

Post by lunaticthegame » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:38 am

The episode overall felt kind of... meh. Like, nothing really stood out to me (Outside of that nice cut of energy tennis between 18 and Krillin. I'd love to know who did that).

I can't wait for next week, it seems like it'll be an improvement.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:50 am

I hate to say it but the tournament suffers from something very important. It is uninteresting.

The art is more consistent.
Most of the cuts look good.
The style and models don't look flat.

However, the storyboards are poor (they limit themselves by having fights in an arena without flying), the action is predictable with looped punches basically dominating every action scene, and nothing interesting or exciting.

The recruitment episodes had unique styles and various forms of animation. Here I feel like the storyboards are as plain as it goes.

Some of the characters like Majora had cool designs but were underutilized.

I hate to say it but the biggest problems of this arc so far is that it is generic. Nothing is exciting. No big battles, epic moments or anything. :(