Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by cuartas » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Indignant responses that attempt to mis-characterize our statements and mission are unacceptable.
Interesting, a response from a moderator that includes a quote that is indirectly suggesting "ignore the ignorant and stubborn people, it's a lost cause" and this emote ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ is not indignant, but mine enters that category, it's like you're in favor of individuals and telling me I have to swallow that statement with no intent of defense
VegettoEX wrote:It should be — and is — clear that we encourage all members to offer thoughts, theories, and scenarios in an attempt to learn new things. We say often that everyone should always be learning.

When you ask these questions and then are actually presented with the evidence and sources/citations to back them up... bingo! Mission accomplished. It may not line up with what you had in mind, but that just means you've learned something new. That is a good thing, and not something to be stubborn about.
1) I have read that post 3 times, the evidence is a guy named Kevin, let's assume he's a guru of the industry, but I have some problems with what he's saying:
-He present a very specific scenario of failure that is not the norm and he clearly states that and it's not relevant and/or can be applied to Dragon Ball, but...

-He after comes with this statement: "often you just have impatient committee members that want the fruits of their investment as soon as possible", that also is not proven to be the norm aside from his word, and even if accurate, that represents an evident case of mismanagment (which I've been talking all day), that has no direct relation with money

-Later on he comes with this statement: "The latenight industry moves ridiculously fast so titles have small windows of relevance, and they don’t want to risk having to wait more seasons for them to air", which is not 100% applied to DBS since it has a high rate of success overseas, that's a thing the majority of animes on Japan can't count on and they depend entirely on the local market.

-Previously he said: "Quality beyond that obviously comes down to the individual talent" which ajay complements with people "who knows people", which doesn't convinces me

2) Those arguments doesn't convice me because:
-The first is an isolated and specific case, it doesn't applies to DBS

-The second, is more like a straight negative argument where all present and future animes are destined to be mismanaged, I presented a scenario of a project with a generous budget and well managed that seems reasonable, I didn't get a satisfactory counter-argument of why that scenario isn't possible aside from the talent (which depends on the directors with good relations, so I wondered about hiring those directors, but there's no clear argument on why hiring them is not possible either) and the schedule (that it gets an improvement with more workers contacted by the director, so one solution goes to another)

-The third is a thing I don't think it's happening on the heads of thee higher ups on toei, since they're earning a fortune from all over the world

-The fourth comes with a catch, as I said, as far as I know, DBS doesn't have the most talented animators in Japan, that was confirmed when it had that quality boost on the TOP due to tiger mask animators that joined the project once they finished there, and even so, it was capable to produce a nice goku black saga before, that with a majority of average animators and the addition of higashide, shida and some others.
On the other hand It always was stated that the problem was time, they got more animators and the show improved, but here this Kevin was saying that more animators was a guaranteed failure, so where do we stand for? I'd rather to believe in what's actually happening in DBS
So here is where I don't get it, if toei had more budget to hire complete teams to work on episodes (KA, AD, SB, etc), is not necessarily obligated to hire the most talented and expensive animators, in my opinion with just people at the same level of the current ones it would be a great step up because, again, we're talking about time, more time equals to a better schedule, animators focused on their episodes, more quality, etc, and since they're at the same level I can't objectively see how the quality can be dropped, time has been eternal discussion on this thread but apparently the argument changed recently, so now giving them more time in more spaced rotations is not a factor of improvement.

3) So I'm not satisfied because the argument ends up on worst case scenarios, on people (or people contacting other people) that can't be hired but a clear reason of why is not presented, a disaster on direction that happens when there's too much people or budget but only applied when there's bad decisions, never proven when the project has good managment, and time that apparently will be worse because is by default assumed that the extra people hired will be worse than the people we have today (Based on absolutely nothing) and will imply extra corrections, but always assuming the worst case that would happen, That's why It's not "bingo! Mission accomplished" for me

I could make a theory of a counter-argument that would convince me: "Having more budget can't hire more competent people, because the animation industry is in decadence so the young citizens wont find interest on taking this career on detriment of other more convenient ones, so the industry is stuck on the same people, everyone's working, so trying to convince them to cut their contracts to come and work to another project is really hard, since there's this thing called honor or that Japanese culture about their bounds with their companies and blahblahblah".
I would be convinced here because in that case there's nothing that money can do, there is morals involved, but that's a crazy argument I invented to definitely prove budget can not determine the quality of a product, the actual arguments I'm reading are ambiguous, the type of "this is what experts say, we have to believe them" and biased towards failure, there's no opinions from the other side and where the conditions for a successful project are met.

Apparently for arguing this I broke several rules and I'm worth of trolling by a moderator and threatened to be banned by an admin.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:31 am

[spoiler]
cuartas wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Indignant responses that attempt to mis-characterize our statements and mission are unacceptable.
Interesting, a response from a moderator that includes a quote that is indirectly suggesting "ignore the ignorant and stubborn people, it's a lost cause" and this emote ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ is not indignant, but mine enters that category, it's like you're in favor of individuals and telling me I have to swallow that statement with no intent of defense
VegettoEX wrote:It should be — and is — clear that we encourage all members to offer thoughts, theories, and scenarios in an attempt to learn new things. We say often that everyone should always be learning.

When you ask these questions and then are actually presented with the evidence and sources/citations to back them up... bingo! Mission accomplished. It may not line up with what you had in mind, but that just means you've learned something new. That is a good thing, and not something to be stubborn about.
1) I have read that post 3 times, the evidence is a guy named Kevin, let's assume he's a guru of the industry, but I have some problems with what he's saying:
-He present a very specific scenario of failure that is not the norm and he clearly states that and it's not relevant and/or can be applied to Dragon Ball, but...

-He after comes with this statement: "often you just have impatient committee members that want the fruits of their investment as soon as possible", that also is not proven to be the norm aside from his word, and even if accurate, that represents an evident case of mismanagment (which I've been talking all day), that has no direct relation with money

-Later on he comes with this statement: "The latenight industry moves ridiculously fast so titles have small windows of relevance, and they don’t want to risk having to wait more seasons for them to air", which is not 100% applied to DBS since it has a high rate of success overseas, that's a thing the majority of animes on Japan can't count on and they depend entirely on the local market.

-Previously he said: "Quality beyond that obviously comes down to the individual talent" which ajay complements with people "who knows people", which doesn't convinces me

2) Those arguments doesn't convice me because:
-The first is an isolated and specific case, it doesn't applies to DBS

-The second, is more like a straight negative argument where all present and future animes are destined to be mismanaged, I presented a scenario of a project with a generous budget and well managed that seems reasonable, I didn't get a satisfactory counter-argument of why that scenario isn't possible aside from the talent (which depends on the directors with good relations, so I wondered about hiring those directors, but there's no clear argument on why hiring them is not possible either) and the schedule (that it gets an improvement with more workers contacted by the director, so one solution goes to another)

-The third is a thing I don't think it's happening on the heads of thee higher ups on toei, since they're earning a fortune from all over the world

-The fourth comes with a catch, as I said, as far as I know, DBS doesn't have the most talented animators in Japan, that was confirmed when it had that quality boost on the TOP due to tiger mask animators that joined the project once they finished there, and even so, it was capable to produce a nice goku black saga before, that with a majority of average animators and the addition of higashide, shida and some others.
On the other hand It always was stated that the problem was time, they got more animators and the show improved, but here this Kevin was saying that more animators was a guaranteed failure, so where do we stand for? I'd rather to believe in what's actually happening in DBS
So here is where I don't get it, if toei had more budget to hire complete teams to work on episodes (KA, AD, SB, etc), is not necessarily obligated to hire the most talented and expensive animators, in my opinion with just people at the same level of the current ones it would be a great step up because, again, we're talking about time, more time equals to a better schedule, animators focused on their episodes, more quality, etc, and since they're at the same level I can't objectively see how the quality can be dropped, time has been eternal discussion on this thread but apparently the argument changed recently, so now giving them more time in more spaced rotations is not a factor of improvement.

3) So I'm not satisfied because the argument ends up on worst case scenarios, on people (or people contacting other people) that can't be hired but a clear reason of why is not presented, a disaster on direction that happens when there's too much people or budget but only applied when there's bad decisions, never proven when the project has good managment, and time that apparently will be worse because is by default assumed that the extra people hired will be worse than the people we have today (Based on absolutely nothing) and will imply extra corrections, but always assuming the worst case that would happen, That's why It's not "bingo! Mission accomplished" for me

I could make a theory of a counter-argument that would convince me: "Having more budget can't hire more competent people, because the animation industry is in decadence so the young citizens wont find interest on taking this career on detriment of other more convenient ones, so the industry is stuck on the same people, everyone's working, so trying to convince them to cut their contracts to come and work to another project is really hard, since there's this thing called honor or that Japanese culture about their bounds with their companies and blahblahblah".
I would be convinced here because in that case there's nothing that money can do, there is morals involved, but that's a crazy argument I invented to definitely prove budget can not determine the quality of a product, the actual arguments I'm reading are ambiguous, the type of "this is what experts say, we have to believe them" and biased towards failure, there's no opinions from the other side and where the conditions for a successful project are met.

Apparently for arguing this I broke several rules and I'm worth of trolling by a moderator and threatened to be banned by an admin.
[/spoiler]
There are some social reasons too like most Japanese work at one company throughout their life.

Plus,animation is an art now there can be hundreds of good artists doesn't mean they will be the same in their methods, techniques and styles and work together to produce a good product And the bigger the team gets,the bigger will be chances of mismanagement,it will also difficult to manage a large amount of people.

Animation is not exactly considered a prolific profession and not everyone can get in it,there is shortage of animators let alone talented animators.

Anime’s success depends on it's reception at Japan,if it isn't doing well in Japan it will get cancelled.I think that happened with toriko anime.

And there is a lot of problems with production committees,you know the people that decide the budget and give approval to projects.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:15 am

Hawk9211 wrote: There are some social reasons too like most Japanese work at one company throughout their life.

Plus,animation is an art now there can be hundreds of good artists doesn't mean they will be the same in their methods, techniques and styles and work together to produce a good product And the bigger the team gets,the bigger will be chances of mismanagement,it will also difficult to manage a large amount of people.

Animation is not exactly considered a prolific profession and not everyone can get in it,there is shortage of animators let alone talented animators.

Anime’s success depends on it's reception at Japan,if it isn't doing well in Japan it will get cancelled.I think that happened with toriko anime.

And there is a lot of problems with production committees,you know the people that decide the budget and give approval to projects.
Thanks, this is a really good insight of the situation and why budgets aren't a big factor

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:15 pm

Will we get staff list for the rest of March before #129 airs or will it be an anticipation waiting for NEP of #130?

If the latter then it's gonna be kinda exciting if a bit nerve wracking at the same time.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:19 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Will we get staff list for the rest of March before #129 airs or will it be an anticipation waiting for NEP of #130?

If the latter then it's gonna be kinda exciting if a bit nerve wracking at the same time.
It will probably be revealed next week but don't quote me.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:11 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Will we get staff list for the rest of March before #129 airs or will it be an anticipation waiting for NEP of #130?

We'll probably get the staff list after NEP of #130.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:13 am

So, that Saint Seiya anime Toei just announced for 2019...what are the odds that's what'll replace Kitaro instead of having Super return?

Source - https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily- ... 19/.128155
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:09 am

Chuquita wrote:So, that Saint Seiya anime Toei just announced for 2019...what are the odds that's what'll replace Kitaro instead of having Super return?

Wow, already announced for 2019? Does this mean it will have great scheduling and pre-production?
Maybe the next DB show could be announced a lot earlier than what we expect, if it will happen. I hope this Saint Seiya anime won't replace Kitaro, because if it does we may lose the hope of ever seeing a Dragon Ball show and it would add fuel to the theory Dragon Ball stories will only be continued through movies.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:13 am

What I hate about these new Saint Seiya animes is that is not continuing the story of the classic, but still these side stories. I want to see Zeus already.

But on-topic: I don't think we'll get a new DB anime any sooner.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:34 am

It will be probably be 12 episodes.

The SS Shou Manga is currently 53 chapters long.

But I like that SS is still using Shingo Araki art, if DB anime ever returns then they should get Takahashi more involved and continue using the Z style :thumbup:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:27 pm

Chuquita wrote:So, that Saint Seiya anime Toei just announced for 2019...what are the odds that's what'll replace Kitaro instead of having Super return?

For those that don't know, Saint Seiya is not a Fuji TV show, it's a TV Asahi show, so this will not stop Dragon Ball from returning next year.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:46 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:

For those that don't know, Saint Seiya is not a Fuji TV show, it's a TV Asahi show, so this will not stop Dragon Ball from returning next year.
Yes, this is a thing I didn't know because I don't follow Saint Seiya. My apologies for the accidental!

I do wonder how early out Toei could announce more Dragon Ball now.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Chuquita wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:

Yes, this is a thing I didn't know because I don't follow Saint Seiya. My apologies for the accidental!

They won't announce it tell Super is over at the very least.
If the show is starting in April or July 2019 then I'd guess Jump Festa at the end of this year, if it's starting in October 2019 or January 2020 I'd guess Goku Day 2019.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:56 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote: For those that don't know, Saint Seiya is not a Fuji TV show, it's a TV Asahi show, so this will not stop Dragon Ball from returning next year.

They won't announce it tell Super is over at the very least.
If the show is starting in April or July 2019 then I'd guess Jump Festa at the end of this year, if it's starting in October 2019 or January 2020 I'd guess Goku Day 2019.
That is a good time period to hear about a new Dragon Ball.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:41 am

By the seems of the extended PV, it seems that Tate is going to be animating some stuff this episode. I guess this furthers the idea that Tate really isn't going to be supervising another episode on Super.

The changes in the PV between the preview relating to the reveal of UI feels like a definite downgrade though. Hopefully they go with the version from the preview of 128.

Storyboard is also looking good, it already looks like its going to have the massive scale that is truly fitting for the "ultimate battle". I really hope we also get some fantastic animation to compliment the storyboard.

Looking forward to next week. :D

Rabdom User

Post by Rabdom User » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:47 am

Here's a new preview for the next episode.
[spoiler]https://twitter.com/DB__ZGTKAISUPER/sta ... 6205255680[/spoiler]

Karasawa's appearance is obvious. Nii's appearance is obvious too.
That scene,where Jiren is blocking Goku's attack,is maybe Inaba? Based on the smoke.
There are some interesting looking smears,which is maybe Tate.Very similar to his work on 110
The biggest question is:who made these close-ups?
[spoiler]Image Image[/spoiler]
When I first saw it,I thought,that this is Takahashi,but it's also have Karasawa vibes.
What do you thing,guys?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:06 am

Rabdom User wrote:Here's a new preview for the next episode.
[spoiler]https://twitter.com/DB__ZGTKAISUPER/sta ... 6205255680[/spoiler]

Karasawa's appearance is obvious. Nii's appearance is obvious too.
That scene,where Jiren is blocking Goku's attack,is maybe Inaba? Based on the smoke.
There are some interesting looking smears,which is maybe Tate.Very similar to his work on 110
The biggest question is:who made these close-ups?
[spoiler]Image Image[/spoiler]
When I first saw it,I thought,that this is Takahashi,but it's also have Karasawa vibes.
What do you thing,guys?
I think the Belmond one may be a Nii correction. The second one looks like it could be Karasawa to me.

I also think that based on how much Karasawa's style is dominating the preview, he may be an unlisted 3rd supervisor. Its either that, or his doing a fair bit of KA for the episode.

I don't think those were Tate's during that smeary part, but there is a scene in the PV that does seem to have his effects to it.

Rabdom User

Post by Rabdom User » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:34 am

I don't think those were Tate's during that smeary part, but there is a scene in the PV that does seem to have his effects to it.
What do you say, which scene was animated by Tate?

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:38 am

Rabdom User wrote:
What do you say, which scene was animated by Tate?
I feel like, due to the effects in this scene, this was Tate(sorry for the low quality image).
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That was the only scene that I think might be Tate.

Rabdom User

Post by Rabdom User » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:53 am

I feel like, due to the effects in this scene, this was Tate
Thanks! Also,here is the HD quality preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTEMSYAGnwY