Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:00 pm

No wonder they didn't do a screenshot lead up to 129!

I like Vegeta cheering Gokû on, but all this reused animation...

I'm ok with Toei taking a break. They need it. It's obvious. Hopefully they can return at some point in a better condition.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:05 pm

No time update. Looks like the theories of the fight continuing into #131 could be true afterall.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:06 pm

This show is falling apart, not really that bad but for an episode like this to have so much reused animation....so underwhelming.
Last edited by Amir on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:07 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:No time update. Looks like the theories of the fight continuing into #131 could be true afterall.
That's a little worrying. If they're still going at it in 131 it'll leave very little time to wrap things up. Guess we'll know when the previews come out this week.

KameNinja45
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameNinja45 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:11 pm

The scene where everything from the opening was reused consecutively turned my opinion from "Good but there was definitely a bit too much reused animation" to "WHYISTHERESOMUCHREUSEDANIMATION"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:18 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'm ok with Toei taking a break. They need it. It's obvious. Hopefully they can return at some point in a better condition.
This episode had a one week break as well. Didn't do it any favours. Let's face it... the episode was very much rushed. And Episode 130 doesn't look much better.

dodonpa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dodonpa » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:21 pm

Man, this episode dissapointed me a lot... Too much reused old animation (I can't believe they reused the Kamehameha Goku did to Kefla...), and the fight was boring as hell, I won't remember a single hit. But what I hated the most were the parts where Goku and Jiren sent punches at incredible speed... while not moving at all. Incredibly lazy.

The NEP looks way better, I'm sure I will like it much more.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I'm ok with Toei taking a break. They need it. It's obvious. Hopefully they can return at some point in a better condition.
This episode had a one week break as well. Didn't do it any favours. Let's face it... the episode was very much rushed. And Episode 130 doesn't look much better.
Um, there is a difference between this episode and next episode by the looks of it though and that's staff.

This episode had pretty much no big action animators on it, hell, it didn't even have any of the regular episode action animators like Nikaido, Tu, Miuma or even Higashide. Next episode looks far more promising because at the very least we know that Tate and Manabe are going to be on it, and I would be extremely surprised if none of the regular action animators mentioned above don't get credited.

Also, outside of that one re-used still, what was so bad about the preview?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:26 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
#129 seemed like they were padding for time so it would make sense to put their efforts into #130/1 especially since the decision was already made to re-use animation I'd imagine.

Narratively I think the episode makes up especially the ending. I'd probably be more livid but finally get getting the beautiful silver haired Goku just makes me so happy.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:32 pm

Holy fuck what a dissapointment, it turned out that the badass shot was an inbetween frame, and worst things stood for longer time to be noticieable, like this:

C'mon TOEI, what are you doing? this arc was coming along so nicely, we got so much nice shots even in the pre-tournament and you decided to ruin it at the climax AND THE END of the series? what is wrong with you? where's your common sense?.

So many reused animation is not even funny, they even reused the part of the opening where goku was being punched when it doesn't make sense because goku was mastering UI (when whis was making his monologue).

Seriously, what the fuck? then we got art shots worth of devianart users trying to make it look with sailor moon style or something similar:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Material worth of ep5 levels.

Karasawa mostly saved the 2nd half, but it wasn't enough, I expect a perfect wrap up, a perfect ending for our beloved anime, well animated scenes with amazing coreography, not this, this is treating your most successful anime like utter garbage.

On the bright side, I liked the dialogs, really deeper and kinda different from the usual lines we're used to, the mastered UI awakening, the fact that nii shots weren't corrected (his Z style shot is before goku jumps that rock and lasted less than 1s)

This episode has to be heavily corrected on the bluray release, this can't be the definitive episode forever

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:40 pm

cuartas wrote:Holy fuck what a dissapointment, it turned out that the badass shot was an inbetween frame, and worst things stood for longer time to be noticieable, like this:

C'mon TOEI, what are you doing? this arc was coming along so nicely, we got so much nice shots even in the pre-tournament and you decided to ruin it at the climax AND THE END of the series? what is wrong with you? where's your common sense?.

So many reused animation is not even funny, they even reused the part of the opening where goku was being punched when it doesn't make sense because goku was mastering UI (when whis was making his monologue).

Seriously, what the fuck? then we got art shots worth of devianart users trying to make it look with sailor moon style or something similar:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Material worth of ep5 levels.

Karasawa mostly saved the 2nd half, but it wasn't enough, I expect a perfect wrap up, a perfect ending for our beloved anime, well animated scenes with amazing coreography, not this, this is treating your most successful anime like utter garbage.

On the bright side, I liked the dialogs, really deeper and kinda different from the usual lines we're used to, the mastered UI awakening, the fact that nii shots weren't corrected (his Z style shot is before goku jumps that rock and lasted less than 1s)

This episode has to be heavily corrected on the bluray release, this can't be the definitive episode forever
Uh, not really at all. I will say that a lot of edits were particularly egregious, but that scene that you screen shotted was actually one of the more complex bits of animation from the episode, and though you could say it was rough around the edges, its still an animated sequence thats decently executed, unlike a lot of the action from episode 5.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:42 pm

Not the first one to say that but the reused animation was annoying, could we say they are saving their effort for the last remaining episodes?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:44 pm

Gave the episode a rewatch and really, the only bits of animation that stood out as distracting to me were that bit from 109 where they fought among the rocks and jumped at each other and the new animation in the second half where they were doing close-up flurries. The art and animation were solid but it was looped too many times in close succession.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:52 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Um, there is a difference between this episode and next episode by the looks of it though and that's staff.

This episode had pretty much no big action animators on it, hell, it didn't even have any of the regular episode action animators like Nikaido, Tu, Miuma or even Higashide. Next episode looks far more promising because at the very least we know that Tate and Manabe are going to be on it, and I would be extremely surprised if none of the regular action animators mentioned above don't get credited.

The preview isn't bad per-se. It just didn't give much to wet my appetite for given it has a reused shot of Goku from Episode 116.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and Episode 130 could be one of the best thing to happen in Super. (And I pray it is...)

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:54 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: This episode had a one week break as well. Didn't do it any favours. Let's face it... the episode was very much rushed. And Episode 130 doesn't look much better.

The preview isn't bad per-se. It just didn't give much to wet my appetite for given it has a reused shot of Goku from Episode 116.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and Episode 130 could be one of the best thing to happen in Super. (And I pray it is...)
I think having a single re-used shot really isn't a good indication to judge a preview by, especially since everything else is original.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:59 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:Not the first one to say that but the reused animation was annoying, could we say they are saving their effort for the last remaining episodes?
It's that, and they most likely though they couldn't produced new and good enough animation to do Ultra Instinct Goku and Jiren fighting justice, so they just took the easier route.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:05 pm

I feared the finale was going to be close to Toriko vs Joa, so I'm not surprised.

I expect Goku vs Jiren to end until halfway point of episode 130 imo.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:It's that, and they most likely though they couldn't produced new and good enough animation to do Ultra Instinct Goku and Jiren fighting justice, so they just took the easier route.
That's one of the reasons I think Goku should have fought Jiren only once
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:20 pm

Upon second viewing my thoughts have slightly improved, but only slightly. I still didn't like the fact that the first half was heavy in reused animation. I stand by my statement that the second half was clearly the stronger of the two, with Karasawa giving us some good stuff as well as the MUI reveal by Yam. Although, while my opinion has improved, I still think it could of/should of been MUCH better.

Next episode looks better but now I'm really cautious and don't want to raise my expectations. I'm really curious if the fight is going to end in 130 or if it will lead into 131.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:28 pm

Honestly, it's either reused animation or low quality animation, the schedule is what it is. That said... This episode made me emotional lol I was screaming at the top of my lungs.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.