Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:09 am

#56....

Tate and Manabe... this is like a severely watered down version of #130. In fact it is complete water. Direction and SB are okay, animation is nothing special either, very bland episode to be honest in regards to what we have been getting lately. Why the flip would they put Manabe on here and Kitano on #57? When Manabe's half was basically non action? Logic. They did give Yashima the final Hit vs Goku episode in the Champa arc so it's par for the course.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:02 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:#56....

Tate and Manabe... this is like a severely watered down version of #130. In fact it is complete water. Direction and SB are okay, animation is nothing special either, very bland episode to be honest in regards to what we have been getting lately. Why the flip would they put Manabe on here and Kitano on #57? When Manabe's half was basically non action? Logic. They did give Yashima the final Hit vs Goku episode in the Champa arc so it's par for the course.
I believe that, at the time, they probably couldn't have done otherwise with their scheduling. Maybe the FT arc would have been a lot better if they took their time to fix the schedule with many weeks of fillers like it happened before the US arc, but maybe that wouldn't have helped much and the anticipation for a new arc after the tournament was very high, so it probably would have been counterproductive to do 10+ weeks of fillers then. We still got a few fillers, of course, which probably helped them to set up the whole FT arc to be as good as possible.
They probably tried their hardest behind the scenes, or at least I hope so. It would have been nice if Takahashi could have been a regular ever since the beginning of Super, but it probably wasn't possible to bring him on board as a regular due to the schedule, which would also explain why Shida only appeared on 57 for the first time.

Unfortunately rewatching Super always reminds me just how much of a mess its production was, and it is pretty sad to know just how better it could have been with proper pre-production and some better character designs too. I also wished they could have fixed the worst looking episodes for the Blu-Ray releases but it didn't happen and a lot of bad art, especially from Kitano, has stayed untouched and it's such a shame.
But now what's done is done, and the future ahead is finally bright. It really seems like they have taken their time, this time around, to completely fix anime Dragon Ball from its core problems, and I cross my fingers that a TV show will come back in 2019, possibly set after the movie to avoid yet another retelling arc, and most importantly if it ever comes back I hope it will finally be with a healthy pre-production and using Shintani's simple designs, which I believe will stick around for a long time considering Toriyama was personally involved with them.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:53 pm

emperior wrote:

I believe that, at the time, they probably couldn't have done otherwise with their scheduling. Maybe the FT arc would have been a lot better if they took their time to fix the schedule with many weeks of fillers like it happened before the US arc, but maybe that wouldn't have helped much and the anticipation for a new arc after the tournament was very high, so it probably would have been counterproductive to do 10+ weeks of fillers then. We still got a few fillers, of course, which probably helped them to set up the whole FT arc to be as good as possible.
They probably tried their hardest behind the scenes, or at least I hope so. It would have been nice if Takahashi could have been a regular ever since the beginning of Super, but it probably wasn't possible to bring him on board as a regular due to the schedule, which would also explain why Shida only appeared on 57 for the first time.

Unfortunately rewatching Super always reminds me just how much of a mess its production was, and it is pretty sad to know just how better it could have been with proper pre-production and some better character designs too. I also wished they could have fixed the worst looking episodes for the Blu-Ray releases but it didn't happen and a lot of bad art, especially from Kitano, has stayed untouched and it's such a shame.
But now what's done is done, and the future ahead is finally bright. It really seems like they have taken their time, this time around, to completely fix anime Dragon Ball from its core problems, and I cross my fingers that a TV show will come back in 2019, possibly set after the movie to avoid yet another retelling arc, and most importantly if it ever comes back I hope it will finally be with a healthy pre-production and using Shintani's simple designs, which I believe will stick around for a long time considering Toriyama was personally involved with them.
As much as I want Toei to use this time correctly, I just can't trust them. They have so much projects this year that it may be overtaxing. I hope that I'm wrong and everything is better but I just can't trust Toei's track record. I don't want another 2014 when Toei collapsed due to so many projects being done by them.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:08 pm

The beauty of Universe Survival arc - Here's my gallery about Universe Survival arc

After 15 episodes seeing how Nagamine/Nakamura were handling this arc and how consistent the quality was, I already was thinking this could be the best looking arc this franchise ever had. That belief only got stronger the more we moved forward, so I decided to create a gallery that focused mainly in two things that stood out to me: Post-Production and Art Direction. But along the way, I started to add some good looking art too.

As much as I love how Morio Hatano handled FT Trunks arc, Tatsuya Nagamine and Ryota Nakamura are my favourite DBS Directors and if we get a new tv series, i would like to have at least one of them back.

I also want to give shot out to Megumi Ishitani for episode 131. In this already good looking arc, she totally kill it in her first episode and I go as far as to tell episode 131 is the most beautiful episode this franchise has. Not only because the amazing storyboard and Yamamuro's supervision that kept everyone in check but more important, the direction. The use of colours and atmosphere around Super Shenlong summoning until they go back to Earth in the end is stunning!! Look at this:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:36 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:The beauty of Universe Survival arc - Here's my gallery about Universe Survival arc

After 15 episodes seeing how Nagamine/Nakamura were handling this arc and how consistent the quality was, I already was thinking this could be the best looking arc this franchise ever had. That belief only got stronger the more we moved forward, so I decided to create a gallery that focused mainly in two things that stood out to me: Post-Production and Art Direction. But along the way, I started to add some good looking art too.

As much as I love how Morio Hatano handled FT Trunks arc, Tatsuya Nagamine and Ryota Nakamura are my favourite DBS Directors and if we get a new tv series, i would like to have at least one of them back.

I also want to give shot out to Megumi Ishitani for episode 131. In this already good looking arc, she totally kill it in her first episode and I go as far as to tell episode 131 is the most beautiful episode this franchise has. Not only because the amazing storyboard and Yamamuro's supervision that kept everyone in check but more important, the direction. The use of colours and atmosphere around Super Shenlong summoning until they go back to Earth in the end is stunning!! Look at this:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
This galley is filled with beautiful pictures. Man those pics are top notch. Thank you sharing them.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:04 pm

What do you guys think are the chances that Dragon Ball will come back as a seasonal anime?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:37 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:What do you guys think are the chances that Dragon Ball will come back as a seasonal anime?
None.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:38 pm

GTx10 wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:The beauty of Universe Survival arc - Here's my gallery about Universe Survival arc

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
This galley is filled with beautiful pictures. Man those pics are top notch. Thank you sharing them.
Glad you like it.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:25 am

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
This arc was so good looking. I don't think I'd like it nearly as much as I did without the amazing art and animation.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:01 am

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
The Universal Survival arc certainly had some cracking episodes from a visual standpoint. I'd go as far as to say it's the best looking arc in all of Dragon Ball, beating out the Majin Boo arc. And the Majin Boo arc had some stunning episodes.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:04 am

Lord Beerus wrote:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
The Universal Survival arc certainly had some cracking episodes from a visual standpoint. I'd go as far as to say it's the best looking arc in all of Dragon Ball, beating out the Majin Boo arc. And the Majin Boo arc had some stunning episodes.
I want Megumi Ishtani to become a full-time director in a new Dragon Ball show or if Super come in the future. She is such a great talent and want to see her future in the anime industry.
Majinwarman

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:16 pm

majinwarman wrote:
emperior wrote:

As much as I want Toei to use this time correctly, I just can't trust them. They have so much projects this year that it may be overtaxing. I hope that I'm wrong and everything is better but I just can't trust Toei's track record. I don't want another 2014 when Toei collapsed due to so many projects being done by them.
You don’t need to be scared and you should trust them tbh: Toei only have 3 shows for the next 6 months which are One Piece, Precure and Kitaro (Detective Butt is only 3 episodes).

I’m pretty sure we’ll have a new Dragon Ball TV Series with Toei doing things right this time around.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:34 pm

Asura wrote: This arc was so good looking. I don't think I'd like it nearly as much as I did without the amazing art and animation.
Imagine if we have had this arc with Champa arc "quality". :sick:

It's also funny when in FT Trunks arc they had to sacrifice some episodes to deliver episode 66, while in Universe Survival arc they delivered the Special (episode 109/110) and kept aiming higher. The most good looking arc of DBS is the one with most characters and 30+ episodes of non stop fighting...

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:22 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:Imagine if we have had this arc with Champa arc "quality". :sick:
You mean RoF, right? Cause it was on Champa arc that things have started to look decent.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:34 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Imagine if we have had this arc with Champa arc "quality". :sick:
You mean RoF, right? Cause it was on Champa arc that things have started to look decent.
Some episodes in the BOG and ROF retellings looked good.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
BoG, sure. RoF... I remember that the only good looking episodes were the ones before the battle against Frieza
Get Fucked, C_unt

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
I thought most of RoF looked serviceable enough. It's the 3-4 episodes where Goku fights Frieza that things really get ugly.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:40 pm

Psykomatik wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
emperior wrote: I believe that, at the time, they probably couldn't have done otherwise with their scheduling. Maybe the FT arc would have been a lot better if they took their time to fix the schedule with many weeks of fillers like it happened before the US arc, but maybe that wouldn't have helped much and the anticipation for a new arc after the tournament was very high, so it probably would have been counterproductive to do 10+ weeks of fillers then. We still got a few fillers, of course, which probably helped them to set up the whole FT arc to be as good as possible.

You don’t need to be scared and you should trust them tbh: Toei only have 3 shows for the next 6 months which are One Piece, Precure and Kitaro (Detective Butt is only 3 episodes).

I’m pretty sure we’ll have a new Dragon Ball TV Series with Toei doing things right this time around.
I will give them a shot but I still have my doubts about them.
Majinwarman

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Wow. Shida's #57 cut was... Underwhelming. Remember it being so much better. Still way better then anything in the episode but obviously my mind is still plagued with #130.