Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Torturephile
Regular

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Torturephile » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Preview images of Episode 116:
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
The only one I don't like is the Androids' one, but I assume it's an in-between frame.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:47 pm

They definitely need to get rid of those white highlights on characters skins. They are the only thing that don't let me be fully satisfied with a lot of shots.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:33 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:They definitely need to get rid of those white highlights on characters skins. They are the only thing that don't let me be fully satisfied with a lot of shots.
Mate we've been saying that since Yamamuro character designs.

But they look fine in there, Goku is in his Aura and Kafla is charging Ki for an attack.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Damn, the whole thing right when Kefla powers up until Goku fires the Kamehameha was amazing. Loved the speed and fluidity. That's what I like to see.

Some scenes of Goku teletransporting were really fine too. I've complained of the lack of impact and sense of speed the series has, so it's always nice to see when talented people bring good things to the table.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:33 pm

Quite a major step up from last weeks dull entry.

Ultra Instinct Goku dodging Kafla's attacks and the hitting her with a Kamehameha at point blank was excellently directed. A lot of storyboarding with Ultra Instinct Goku fight was really good as a whole.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:54 pm

Episode 116

Animation Supervisors
Onishi Yoichi
Manabe Shuuichiro

Key Animators
Ooyama Yasuhiko
Masuda Nobuhiro
Kato Yoshitaka
Higashide Futoshi
Tu Yong-ce
Tomiki Yumiko
Toyomasu Takahiro
Nagaki Tatsuhiro
Osada Yuki
Manabe Shuuichiro
Otsuka Ken
Yokoya Kenta
Ozone Takao
Kanekubo Norio
Hirabayashi Takashi

2nd Key Animators
Ishikawa Osamu
Mura Shuntaro
Yokoyama Miyuki
Shimizu Shintaro
Saeki Tetsuya
Toei Phils.
Asahi Production
Anitus Kobe
Kagura

-

Lovely step up from last week. That cut towards the end was fantastic. Looking forward to breaking that down properly once I get a better look.

Huge names on tonight's episode: Ken Otsuka and Kenta Yokoya both make an appearance. Otsuka tweeted about their work:
I handled the key animation from Kafla's whirlpool energy wave up to the Potara breaking. Yokoya handled the close-ups of Goku's face and him piercing through the arena.
Great storyboard from Sonoda. I really enjoyed the creative choreography in that second half. Solid all around, really. Happy days~

Yashima up next week. Nothing like a bit of downtime before Tate and Mitsuka come in and (hopefully) blow us away with 118.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:09 pm

Not a lot of action, but the action we did get, was good. Both art and animation was on point. Nothing incredibly spectacular but still very well done. Kinda felt like they were really trying to reduce the amount of action animated by letting Whis explain stuff at times though. Also, this episode really made me notice a lot better that the Ultra Instinct form does indeed make Goku look more Buff, vegeta also seemed more buff than he's used to looking nowadays in the end, he had some pretty big shoulders at one point.
How i got into this shit:

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:10 pm

FartiliciousManChild wrote:Not a lot of action, but the action we did get, was good. Both art and animation was on point. Nothing incredibly spectacular but still very well done. Kinda felt like they were really trying to reduce the amount of action animated by letting Whis explain stuff at times though. Also, this episode really made me notice a lot better that the Ultra Instinct form does indeed make Goku look more Buff, vegeta also seemed more buff than he's used to looking nowadays in the end, he had some pretty big shoulders at one point.
I don't know, I feel like that cut at the end qualifies as pretty damn spectacular. That might be the single coolest looking cut in this whole show next to Shida's cuts. Maybe I'm insane, but that's how I feel at this moment.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:15 pm

That last part where he dodges the caramel wave is sick, actually, all the fight, I agree with you, the coreography was different, it wasn't just repeat frames and done or the same regular movements, it was well made, and made everything more epic.
That brings a problem, each time ultra instinct pops up it has to have this epicness as shown today and in 110, and for sure goku is gonna master it and it's going to become a regular transformation from now on, can they handle this?

This Animator supervisor duo is becoming my favorite for this arc, unless takahashi is still going, but that's good, we can pick so much great scenes from this arc, something it was very limited in the previous arcs where it was shida and nothing else.
I love this show with all my heart now, this is what DBS should be since the beginning :clap: :clap:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:23 pm

Really liked how well animated was Goku movements during the fight though the whole was not much impressive.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm

-Episode 116-

Holy fuck! That was the most badass Kamehameha Goku has ever done. That was amazing!!
I'm sad the girls are out, but at at least they went out on a big way.

It's cool to see Otsuka Ken again, but I'm still wondering when he will do something with U3 Mechas.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:34 pm

The direction in the fight scenes was the most interesting in this show yet, really great stuff, some great animation in the end and art was consistent throughout this entire episode, awesome episode.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:37 pm

Noah wrote:Really liked how well animated was Goku movements during the fight though the whole was not much impressive.
I mean...that minute long cut at the end might be one of the most impressive sequences in this whole show...I'd say it was pretty spectacular.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:40 pm

Artorias wrote:I mean...that minute long cut at the end might be one of the most impressive sequences in this whole show...I'd say it was pretty spectacular.
Sure, but the fight itself (I mean punches and kicks) were a bit lackluster, but the conclusion was well done.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:42 pm

Noah wrote:
Artorias wrote:I mean...that minute long cut at the end might be one of the most impressive sequences in this whole show...I'd say it was pretty spectacular.
Sure, but the fight itself (I mean punches and kicks) were a bit lackluster, but the conclusion was well done.
That's true, although it's refreshing to get decent action after the lackluster few weeks we've had. The fights in the previous two episodes were largely unremarkable imo.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:57 am

Guh, Super has just been spoiling us these last few months. That long cut towards the end of Goku dodging energy lasers and bolts only to dodge Kefla's double beam attack midair and hit her with a point-blank Kamehameha was absolutely fantastic. The rest of the second half was pretty good as well with the weakest section being the first half. Really enjoyed this episode with the one exception being that they used the Ultra Instinct insert song again which kind of defeats the purpose of using an insert song but I digress.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:12 am

Ajay wrote:Episode 116

Animation Supervisors
Onishi Yoichi
Manabe Shuuichiro

Key Animators
Ooyama Yasuhiko
Masuda Nobuhiro
Kato Yoshitaka
Higashide Futoshi
Tu Yong-ce
Tomiki Yumiko
Toyomasu Takahiro
Nagaki Tatsuhiro
Osada Yuki
Manabe Shuuichiro
Otsuka Ken
Yokoya Kenta
Ozone Takao
Kanekubo Norio
Hirabayashi Takashi

2nd Key Animators
Ishikawa Osamu
Mura Shuntaro
Yokoyama Miyuki
Shimizu Shintaro
Saeki Tetsuya
Toei Phils.
Asahi Production
Anitus Kobe
Kagura

-

Lovely step up from last week. That cut towards the end was fantastic. Looking forward to breaking that down properly once I get a better look.

Huge names on tonight's episode: Ken Otsuka and Kenta Yokoya both make an appearance. Otsuka tweeted about their work:
I handled the key animation from Kafla's whirlpool energy wave up to the Potara breaking. Yokoya handled the close-ups of Goku's face and him piercing through the arena.
Great storyboard from Sonoda. I really enjoyed the creative choreography in that second half. Solid all around, really. Happy days~

Yashima up next week. Nothing like a bit of downtime before Tate and Mitsuka come in and (hopefully) blow us away with 118.
Ajay the man again!
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:39 am

Now that's how you draw Kefla :D . So much better! Art and animation this episode were on fire. Just awesome!

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:13 am

Nice Episode. The highlight was obviously Otsuka's cut, but the rest of the cuts were decent enough as well. This was Otsuka's best work on Super yet. Hope to see him again. Its weird that his most recent work before this weeks episode was ep.101, as per AniCorner. Would have loved to see him on the special. Weird.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:50 am

Amazing animations here and there, the only minor nitpick I have was them reusing Tate's punches back on the special, that felt so out of place.
Otsuka's work was amazing, that Kamehameha slide was epic!