Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 78

Post by neolux » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:21 am

The scene when they are "wiggling" (note the use of quotation) was really appealing to me it's my favorite part from the whole fight. I really liked it!

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:34 am

Gashif Aldi wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
I understood it, Satan fell on his head, I really thought the reason was that the Shining Blaster hit him but I was wrong.

Thats why later he passed out.
To be accurate, the Shining Blaster creates a force of intensive wind that hurted Satan. I mean he got shockwave'd, then hit his head.
Right, thats a better explanation.

I wanted to ask if it really true the NEP showed the episode was still incomplete or they plan to tweak or drop the filter?

The filter was working, better than the one used in Kai.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:35 am

neolux wrote:The scene when they are "wiggling" (note the use of quotation) was really appealing to me it's my favorite part from the whole fight. I really liked it!
Same. It's a lovely demonstration that you can make Dragon Ball's looped action actually feel dynamic and interesting. Definitely my favourite example of it in Super so far.

I don't really buy into it being better than anything in Z, though. Some of Seigasha's episodes in the Boo arc were very good at this, too. Of course, there's Cockpit, too.

It's easier to discount a lot of Z stuff since it's often lacking inbetweens, and is padded with numerous cutaways that disrupt the intended flow, but there's some good stuff in there.
perucho1990 wrote:I wanted to ask if it really true the NEP showed the episode was still incomplete or they plan to tweak or drop the filter?
We can't say for sure, but it's likely that the NEP was simply unfinished. We'll have to wait and see.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:46 pm

It just looks like a mess of motion to me where it's not clear what is even going on, especially in the part where the camera is behind Basil.

Shreyas_Singh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shreyas_Singh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:36 pm

400th page! We've come a long way :)
Feel free to correct me if I say something wrong.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:37 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:It just looks like a mess of motion to me where it's not clear what is even going on, especially in the part where the camera is behind Basil.
I agree. It was hard to see what they were doing.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:56 pm

JazzMazz wrote:How many of these moments got on the Booru?
I never measure the quality of a scene that way.
Especially for an old weekly series from back then.

After rewatching 79 I have to admit that some of the scenes were Basil kicks but at the beginning are not that well made. Still a good episode but some of the smear with the kicks was easy to spot even without pausing or paying that much attention to the animation. Some kicks lack any impact and the moves look and feel random.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:42 pm

After watching the episode again in HD and subs, the fight didn't blow me away as much as watching it live for some reason it was still better then what I was expecting for the first fight and I think they desperately need plot B in the tournament proper because the cutaways to people reacting and talking were starting to get under my nerves in this episode. It was a incredibly missed opportunity to have Bulma Jaco & Co to not search for Super DB's in the U6 arc as the B plot so I really hope Toei/Toriyama have something up their sleeves here.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:13 pm

So do we know who made the Buuhameha?
One of the best scenes of the episode without requiring to go crazy with animation!!!

KameNinja45
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameNinja45 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Mazingerdestro wrote:So do we know who made the Buuhameha?
One of the best scenes of the episode without requiring to go cerazy with animation!!!
I think it was Tate. At the very least, the massive explosion after the Kamehameha was done by him.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:40 pm

Anyone know who drew Gohan when he was reacting to Vegeta's rage moment against Beerus ? It looks great!
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:14 am

KameNinja45 wrote:
One of the best scenes of the episode without requiring to go cerazy with animation!!!
I think it was Tate. At the very least, the massive explosion after the Kamehameha was done by him.
I don't think this is Tate, it is my favorite part of the episode though.

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Post by neolux » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:14 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
KameNinja45 wrote:
By the way. Isn't that scene worth being on the booru? I mean, the way Basil walks backwards to try to avoid the kamehameha and the expressions he makes when being attacked by it are really good imo.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:35 am

neolux wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
KameNinja45 wrote: I think it was Tate. At the very least, the massive explosion after the Kamehameha was done by him.
By the way. Isn't that scene worth being on the booru? I mean, the way Basil walks backwards to try to avoid the kamehameha and the expressions he makes when being attacked by it are really good imo.
It certainly has some decent character acting, but its way too conservative, and its not particularly interesting across it's duration in comparison to the other section of the Buu fight that was actually accepted even though it was also conservative.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
The effects here kinda remind me of what we saw when Zamasu caught Trunk's sword and proceeded to blast his face in #65, as well as the explosion caused when Vegeta Final Flashed the ki ball Zamasu and Black were going to kill Goku and Trunks with in #57.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:23 am

Again, I have to disagree, I don't even think Tate's cut belongs on the Booru. I enjoy it from when Basil is stomping on Buu's head and then to the end, but even that has its issues, the effect for Basil's aura mixed with the speed, the excessive screen shake and blur on Basil's legs make it yet again harder to make out what's happening than it should be. I much prefer the Kamehameha because the motion is smooth AND everything is clear and the impact is very much felt, though the sound and voice acting really help with that as well.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:33 am

ArchedThunder wrote:Again, I have to disagree, I don't even think Tate's cut belongs on the Booru. I enjoy it from when Basil is stomping on Buu's head and then to the end, but even that has its issues, the effect for Basil's aura mixed with the speed, the excessive screen shake and blur on Basil's legs make it yet again harder to make out what's happening than it should be. I much prefer the Kamehameha because the motion is smooth AND everything is clear and the impact is very much felt, though the sound and voice acting really help with that as well.
The above Buu beam cut isn't particularly good, with the impact frames being extremely simplistic and basic and a general lack of impact from the blast itself, thats not to say that it's not very animated, it obviously is, and in some scene I actually really enjoy the character acting.
(Most boring impact frames ever)
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
I generally felt the intended force the cut was aiming for, ended up being completely lackluster, I could even argue the blast itself had no real impact. This was something the Tates cut was generally pretty good at conveying. Say what you want about the screen shake, I believe it at least allowed the action to have an impact. In the Buu Beam, there was just as much camera shake, but it ended up not doing anything in the conveying impact and in fact hurt the cut.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:39 am

In the Kamehameha cut the screen shake is just right and the character animation works with it to make the impact, not impact frames. I feel the impact on the Kamehameha, Tate's cut just looks like a mess of colors to me. I love Tate, but I don't understand the praise for this cut, I think it's one of his weakest pieces of work on the series and is very poorly directed.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:53 am

ArchedThunder wrote:In the Kamehameha cut the screen shake is just right and the character animation works with it to make the impact, not impact frames. I feel the impact on the Kamehameha, Tate's cut just looks like a mess of colors to me. I love Tate, but I don't understand the praise for this cut, I think it's one of his weakest pieces of work on the series and is very poorly directed.
The screen shake, in the Buu Beam doesn't just or stop, it remains consistently shaky from when he begins, to when it's hitting that poor ice addict in the face. The character acting from 12 seconds to 18 is actually good, it has a really good sense of naturally timing to it. However, when he was getting hit, the way he was moving looked really unnatural and actually killed any sense of impact the scene was going for, to best descibe it, I would say it was making him move like water when he really should be bracing for impact, I guess this might have to do that there really isn't much linework on him in those shots. The explosion at the end of the cut was pretty nifty, though nothing really all that praise worthy.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
I also agree with you that this is definitely one of Tate weaker pieces of solid work on the series, it's really conservative and doesn't do anything particularly spectacular from a technical standpoint.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:58 am

JazzMazz wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:In the Kamehameha cut the screen shake is just right and the character animation works with it to make the impact, not impact frames. I feel the impact on the Kamehameha, Tate's cut just looks like a mess of colors to me. I love Tate, but I don't understand the praise for this cut, I think it's one of his weakest pieces of work on the series and is very poorly directed.
The screen shake, in the Buu Beam doesn't just or stop, it remains consistently shaky from when he begins, to when it's hitting that poor ice addict in the face. The character acting from 12 seconds to 18 is actually good, it has a really good sense of naturally timing to it. However, when he was getting hit, the way he was moving looked really unnatural and actually killed any sense of impact the scene was going for, to best descibe it, I would say it was making him move like water when he really should be bracing for impact, I guess this might have to do that there really isn't much linework on him in those shots. The explosion at the end of the cut was pretty nifty, though nothing really all that praise worthy.
The screen shake is used effectively to accentuate the impact, it kicks up at specific points, once when the charging blast is expanded and again right when the blast connects with Basil. In Tate's cut the screen shake is far too excessive for what's going on and messes with the the visual clarity of what is happening. As for when he was in the blast it looked to me like he was trying to push forward against the blast.

I just realized how crazy it is that we're arguing about which piece of animation in an episode of Super is better... I hope this is a problem we have more in the future as opposed to what we're used to.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:07 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
The screen shake is used effectively to accentuate the impact, it kicks up at specific points, once when the charging blast is expanded and again right when the blast connects with Basil. In Tate's cut the screen shake is far too excessive for what's going on and messes with the the visual clarity of what is happening. As for when he was in the blast it looked to me like he was trying to push forward against the blast.

I just realized how crazy it is that we're arguing about which piece of animation in an episode of Super is better... I hope this is a problem we have more in the future as opposed to what we're used to.
First off, I really hope your last statement is a sign for things to come. :thumbup:
I agree that the Shake in Tates cut is excessive at points, I just found it to be better implemented to accentuate force there than it did in the Buu Beam, which I felt just maintained the shaking constantly without letting up. Personally I think it would have been more effective to have the shaking begin only as Buu fires the blast in comparison to it shaking even when he was charging it, as I felt it lessened the impact of the beam itself.
Also, 8000th post and 400th page.
Last edited by JazzMazz on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.