Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 78

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:10 am

We have to agree to disagree, we've pretty much said all we can and neither of our opinions are going to change on the matter, that's fine though!

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:49 am

JazzMazz wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: The screen shake, in the Buu Beam doesn't just or stop, it remains consistently shaky from when he begins, to when it's hitting that poor ice addict in the face. The character acting from 12 seconds to 18 is actually good, it has a really good sense of naturally timing to it. However, when he was getting hit, the way he was moving looked really unnatural and actually killed any sense of impact the scene was going for, to best descibe it, I would say it was making him move like water when he really should be bracing for impact, I guess this might have to do that there really isn't much linework on him in those shots. The explosion at the end of the cut was pretty nifty, though nothing really all that praise worthy.
The screen shake is used effectively to accentuate the impact, it kicks up at specific points, once when the charging blast is expanded and again right when the blast connects with Basil. In Tate's cut the screen shake is far too excessive for what's going on and messes with the the visual clarity of what is happening. As for when he was in the blast it looked to me like he was trying to push forward against the blast.

I just realized how crazy it is that we're arguing about which piece of animation in an episode of Super is better... I hope this is a problem we have more in the future as opposed to what we're used to.
First off, I really hope your last statement is a sign for things to come. :thumbup:
I agree that the Shake in Tates cut is excessive at points, I just found it to be better implemented to accentuate force there than it did in the Buu Beam, which I felt just maintained the shaking constantly without letting up. Personally I think it would have been more effective to have the shaking begin only as Buu fires the blast in comparison to it shaking even when he was charging it, as I felt it lessened the impact of the beam itself.
Also, 8000th post and 400th page.
First of all, I doubt that this is Tate. The effects, the whole scene, nothing gives us any hint about Tate (and nowadays Tate is pretty easy to spot). Thr advantages of the scene was the precise movements, effects, and design. I tried to compare it to the dual galick gun but they share nothing in common except the good art. If I remember correctly, wasn't the dual galick gun a combination of Higashide and Tate? Maybe this one was Higashide+......mmmmmm Manabe with some correction applied? (hard to imagine but maybe)
Second, the scene was great but not Booru material.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:00 am

Mazingerdestro wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote: The screen shake is used effectively to accentuate the impact, it kicks up at specific points, once when the charging blast is expanded and again right when the blast connects with Basil. In Tate's cut the screen shake is far too excessive for what's going on and messes with the the visual clarity of what is happening. As for when he was in the blast it looked to me like he was trying to push forward against the blast.

I just realized how crazy it is that we're arguing about which piece of animation in an episode of Super is better... I hope this is a problem we have more in the future as opposed to what we're used to.
First off, I really hope your last statement is a sign for things to come. :thumbup:
I agree that the Shake in Tates cut is excessive at points, I just found it to be better implemented to accentuate force there than it did in the Buu Beam, which I felt just maintained the shaking constantly without letting up. Personally I think it would have been more effective to have the shaking begin only as Buu fires the blast in comparison to it shaking even when he was charging it, as I felt it lessened the impact of the beam itself.
Also, 8000th post and 400th page.
First of all, I doubt that this is Tate. The effects, the whole scene, nothing gives us any hint about Tate (and nowadays Tate is pretty easy to spot). Thr advantages of the scene was the precise movements, effects, and design. I tried to compare it to the dual galick gun but they share nothing in common except the good art. If I remember correctly, wasn't the dual galick gun a combination of Higashide and Tate? Maybe this one was Higashide+......mmmmmm Manabe with some correction applied? (hard to imagine but maybe)
Second, the scene was great but not Booru material.
I'm not saying that the Buu beam was done by Tate, also Highashide wasn't on this staff list. The dual Galick gun to my understanding was done by Tate, though I personally doubt it.

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:57 am

Remember guys, Tate is a Supervisor. He only corrects someone works, so it's normal to see something so weird. Or not Tate-y. And he also can do on-models if he wanted to.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:29 am

Gashif Aldi wrote:Remember guys, Tate is a Supervisor. He only corrects someone works, so it's normal to see something so weird. Or not Tate-y. And he also can do on-models if he wanted to.
He was credited as an animator too, not just a supervisor.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:15 am

Gashif Aldi wrote:Remember guys, Tate is a Supervisor. He only corrects someone works, so it's normal to see something so weird. Or not Tate-y. And he also can do on-models if he wanted to.

He was also a key animator, most of the episodes he supervises are also him being the dominant key animator (Top key animator).

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:24 am

Almost if not all the episodes he supervises have key animation provided by him. The smeared Basil kicks are as Tate as it gets.

By now Tate has provided so much animation for the series that spotting him is easy. Jaws, movement, these weird hands, eyes that are too small compare to the rest pf the face, pyramid noses, overall style. Heck even if he is not the best, his style is unique. I find it way harder to spot people like Ken Otsuka since he draws so close to the characters designs provided (but God he so awesome)

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Today's episode is mostly Tate corrections. He didn't provide animation that much either. I'm saying that these are probably corrected work, maybe if Tate is correcting it would look weird than his usual distinct style. Because, it's someone's drawing, but in "Tate version". Or maybe he really go full conservative that his corrections creates weird looking thing that you guys said.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:13 pm

Gashif Aldi wrote:Today's episode is mostly Tate corrections. He didn't provide animation that much either. I'm saying that these are probably corrected work, maybe if Tate is correcting it would look weird than his usual distinct style. Because, it's someone's drawing, but in "Tate version". Or maybe he really go full conservative that his corrections creates weird looking thing that you guys said.
Most of the people commenting the fight were Tate's work. The ending scene with Gohan and Goku is again Tate and the fight I mentioned is him again. We can safely say that he did a good 30%-40% of the episode and the percent can go even higher. This episode is like 5 if it was good. If you go full "nitpick frame by frame mode" you will see him.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:46 am

Mazingerdestro wrote:
Gashif Aldi wrote:Today's episode is mostly Tate corrections. He didn't provide animation that much either. I'm saying that these are probably corrected work, maybe if Tate is correcting it would look weird than his usual distinct style. Because, it's someone's drawing, but in "Tate version". Or maybe he really go full conservative that his corrections creates weird looking thing that you guys said.
Most of the people commenting the fight were Tate's work. The ending scene with Gohan and Goku is again Tate and the fight I mentioned is him again. We can safely say that he did a good 30%-40% of the episode and the percent can go even higher. This episode is like 5 if it was good. If you go full "nitpick frame by frame mode" you will see him.
I would say he did less, he was pretty low on the key animator list. He probably did a fair bit of supervision though.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:02 am

JazzMazz wrote: I would say he did less, he was pretty low on the key animator list. He probably did a fair bit of supervision though.
Everyone who is ahead of Akira Studio in the credits are either first timers on the show or people who have only worked with Ono and Sawaki on the show and after Akira Studio there is only one newcomer, it makes me wonder if the credits for this episode were split, so Akira Studio would be the end of the credits for the first half of the episode and Tate would be the beginning of the credits for the second half.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:07 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: I would say he did less, he was pretty low on the key animator list. He probably did a fair bit of supervision though.
Everyone who is ahead of Akira Studio in the credits are either first timers on the show or people who have only worked with Ono and Sawaki on the show and after Akira Studio there is only one newcomer, it makes me wonder if the credits for this episode were split, so Akira Studio would be the end of the credits for the first half of the episode and Tate would be the beginning of the credits for the second half.
That's interesting, do you have anything to suggest this is case? I just presumed that Tate was more correcting people's work than contributing his own.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:19 am

JazzMazz wrote: That's interesting, do you have anything to suggest this is case? I just presumed that Tate was more correcting people's work than contributing his own.
It's just a thought I had looking at how the credits are divided, it just seems awfully convenient that the no series regulars that don't work exclusively with Ono or Sawaki come after Tate in the credits and seeing Ono and Sawaki so high and Tate so low despite how much longer it had been since Tate's last episode just seems a bit odd.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:28 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: That's interesting, do you have anything to suggest this is case? I just presumed that Tate was more correcting people's work than contributing his own.
It's just a thought I had looking at how the credits are divided, it just seems awfully convenient that the no series regulars that don't work exclusively with Ono or Sawaki come after Tate in the credits and seeing Ono and Sawaki so high and Tate so low despite how much longer it had been since Tate's last episode just seems a bit odd.
I'm not particularly knowledgeable on how Toei lists it's staff, but I think there is certainly some merit to what you're saying. I think you should probably bring it up with Ajay.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:07 am

Yes, the credits this week were split up by studio. Tate was top KA from the in-house section.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:16 am

Ajay wrote:Yes, the credits this week were split up by studio. Tate was top KA from the in-house section.
Ono and Sawaki are listed right next to each other, does that mean they're from the same studio?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:19 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Ajay wrote:Yes, the credits this week were split up by studio. Tate was top KA from the in-house section.
Ono and Sawaki are listed right next to each other, does that mean they're from the same studio?
You know, I'm actually not sure. I asked Archah about this on Saturday night and he wasn't sure, either. I'll poke him again about it later and see if he has a better idea now. They seem to always work together on Super, but then he animated on the new OP, which is weird. Very confusing.

For the sake of ease, here are the credits translated and split up as shown in the ED:

Ono's Team?
Aoyama Hiroshi Ono Tsutomu Sawaki Noborisa Ohara Taiichiro Sin Yeong-sun

Akira/Actas/Freelance Animators?
Uchida Hiroyuki Lee Ung-jae Sugihara Shota Usami Shohei Makabe Tomoyuki Numata Hiroshi Akira

Toei
Tate Naoki Toyomasu Takahiro Nikaido Atsushi Ooyama Yasuhiko Wakana Yoshinori Sasakado Nobuyoshi

Yashima Yoshitaka Ishikawa Osamu Takamura Kaoru Yokoyama Miyuki Sato Tomoko Tsukino Mua Sugawara Rieko

It's the middle batch that's confusing me the most. Sugihara and Usami are from Actas, but they're grouped in with Studio Akira as a whole, alongside a bunch animators I have no idea about. A lot of them made their debut tonight, which is fine, but then there's a bunch that seemingly worked on Ono's previous episodes, too.

Anime credits are dumb.

Deadtuber.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:21 pm

I don't believe I've seen an example of Tate correcting another animator's work. What does that look like? I imagine he's more willing to stick to the character sheets when it isn't his cut.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:30 pm

ParkerAL wrote:I don't believe I've seen an example of Tate correcting another animator's work. What does that look like? I imagine he's more willing to stick to the character sheets when it isn't his cut.
I very rarely see it. This is the only example I can think of off the top of my head. Seems like he just redrew the nose and ear to make it a bit more consistent with his scenes.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

There's always the chance it's someone tidying up his work, but it doesn't match Tsuji, there were no second key animators, and it doesn't make much sense considering everything else is untouched or entirely redrawn.

Deadtuber.

Shreyas_Singh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shreyas_Singh » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:46 pm

So has Karasawa left? Next Higashide? :shock:
Feel free to correct me if I say something wrong.