Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by Chuquita » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:33 pm

What a terrible bait and switch if that Weekly Jump preview was lying and 128 is actually a VegeBul episode instead.

Expectations officially tempered. Will keep them low.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

manya

Post by manya » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:44 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Is he still writing for Pokémon? Apparently he writes for OP too so that could explain why isn't doing the majority of this arc like he did the first 8 episodes incl the previous Krillin mini arc and just the important episodes.
among other things he is the series composer of Captain Tsubasa (April 2018) so his manager some projects at the same time

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:27 pm

-Episode 127-

As expected, the writing couldn't be worse than last week. Really cool stuff.

C17 sacrifice was cool and I like Jiren's backstory. I actually wondered if I was still watching Dragon Ball, considering how rare is to get one in this franchise.
I still don't care about his character, but he desperately needed something to make him more likeable.

The only thing I didn't like is the amount of times Vegeta keeps using Final Flash and his strongest form, despite being "out of stamina".

As for art/animation, nothing impressed me. I think episode 125 is killing these episodes for me.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:51 am

Well, there wasn't anything offensive in there but nothing too good either. First half was horribly boring, fight choreography non-existent, looked like they were fighting in slow motion. The storyboarding was pretty good, I liked 17's multi-layered shield and how that was all shot.

Can't think of a single moment of animation that stood out, it was all very conservative without having to re-use too much animation.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:26 am

Asura wrote: Can't think of a single moment of animation that stood out, it was all very conservative without having to re-use too much animation.
This is pretty cool:

Very well animated and I love the sucker punch.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:28 am

Asura wrote:Well, there wasn't anything offensive in there but nothing too good either. First half was horribly boring, fight choreography non-existent, looked like they were fighting in slow motion. The storyboarding was pretty good, I liked 17's multi-layered shield and how that was all shot.

Can't think of a single moment of animation that stood out, it was all very conservative without having to re-use too much animation.
I will say I felt the looped frames in the first half were particularly poor, but the second half of the episode definitely had far stronger looped frames and better executed choreography.

The first half was mainly saved by the fact the action was very well framed.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:50 am

Yeah solid looking episode. Disappointed in the lack of Shimanuki though, especially considering this is his last episode. Strong SB and direction continues!

But when will Goku lose his shiiiiirttttt?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:45 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: But when will Goku lose his shiiiiirttttt?
Could be next week, but I expect that to happen in 129 unless 128 ends with Goku achieving Ultra Instinct again. I would love it to end like that, it would be incredibly hype like in DBZ where Goku transformed into a Super Saiyan at the end of episode 95.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Ice85

Post by Ice85 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:23 am

I guess since Yamamuro isn't busy with endings anymore he's correcting some of the art in the last few episodes. Goku's face right before the eyecatch in this episode has him written all over it.

The highlight of this week's episode for me was definitely the 3-way beam attack against Jiren, it looked like whoever animated that was trying to imitate Ryo Onishi's work. Tate's contribution also featured some cool movement and effects, particularly Jiren flipping down to 17.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:27 am

Ice85 wrote:I guess since Yamamuro isn't busy with endings anymore he's correcting some of the art in the last few episodes. Goku's face right before the eyecatch in this episode has him written all over it.

The highlight of this week's episode for me was definitely the 3-way beam attack against Jiren, it looked like whoever animated that was trying to imitate Ryo Onishi's work. Tate's contribution also featured some cool movement and effects, particularly Jiren flipping down to 17.
The 3 way beam struggle was by Higashide.

Ice85

Post by Ice85 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:34 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Ice85 wrote:I guess since Yamamuro isn't busy with endings anymore he's correcting some of the art in the last few episodes. Goku's face right before the eyecatch in this episode has him written all over it.

The 3 way beam struggle was by Higashide.
Thanks, I didn't recognize him in this scene at all!

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:21 am

precita wrote:
Asura wrote: Can't think of a single moment of animation that stood out, it was all very conservative without having to re-use too much animation.
This is pretty cool:

This barely has any animation in it.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:28 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yeah solid looking episode. Disappointed in the lack of Shimanuki though, especially considering this is his last episode. Strong SB and direction continues!

But when will Goku lose his shiiiiirttttt?
I just glad that Shimanuki has given us so much great work during this series.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:29 am

precita wrote:
This is pretty cool:

Who animated that punch by Jiren?
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:33 am

majinwarman wrote: Who animated that punch by Jiren?
This is all Naoki Tate's work.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Amaterasu

Post by Amaterasu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:22 pm

I loved the whole Freeza sequence in this episode, Tate did a really great job of portraying his anger.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:03 pm

Vegeta's aura is so bad. I really like the way the form looks and he's been consistently drawn really well in it for the past couple of episodes, but when you add all that noise on top a lot of the details are either lost, or you get distracted from them.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:28 pm

The best animated scene in this episode was easily the one when Goku did a sweep kick and Vegeta followed by kicking him into a rock, some highly complex and skilled movements.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:46 pm

Draconic wrote:Vegeta's aura is so bad. I really like the way the form looks and he's been consistently drawn really well in it for the past couple of episodes, but when you add all that noise on top a lot of the details are either lost, or you get distracted from them.
Yeah it’s pretty blinding whenever it’s on screen. Just a lot of bright shit.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:30 am

Amir wrote:The best animated scene in this episode was easily the one when Goku did a sweep kick and Vegeta followed by kicking him into a rock, some highly complex and skilled movements.
Eh, to me that still seemed extremely limited, and though it was competently executed, it really wasn't anything to ride home about, it didn't really have much weight to it. I would say that Higashides work on the 3 way beam struggle against Jiren was easily his strongest contribution this episode. I loved how interesting he was able to make the beams and the shapes as they hit Jiren and were dispersed by Jiren. Those were Higashides effects at their best.

As for action animation, though I personally found the majority of Tate's Freeza scene this episode pretty jarring, I will say that Jiren punching Freeza out of Golden was easily the most impactful bit of action animation this episode, I loved how the punch pinged Freeza across into that debris and how he skidded across the ground to land at the forefront of the screen. Easily Tate's most solid contribution this episode.

I will say though, that probably my favourite cut is Jiren doing a Tate spin jump to land in front of 17. Really loved that scene, the layouts and sheer amount of style on display in Jirens movements was fantastic.