Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 82

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:12 pm

I noticed that there is a new producer too, anybody has an idea if he is good or if that will help the schedule?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:16 pm

-Episode 83-

Okay episode.
You know the production got better, when Krillin vs Basil image battle is better animated than a lot fights in the past.

The fact that this was another outsourced episode makes me even more anxious to see to how everything will pay off, when the main tournament comes.
Recycle Opening footage was also a smart move.

Next month staff list will give us a better idea of what's going on.

-NEP-

Krillin's police character model needs to be updated. He usually looks okay in his Gi, but in his police outfit he always looks like a kid.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:04 pm

kinisking wrote:When have baby births been memorable in Dragonball?
So? Just because we hadn't any memorable scenes regarding births don't mean we can't expect it.
A Man named RJ wrote:I really wish this arc were structured more like a Dark Tournament, than what it currently is.
Exactly, the format of the Dark Tournament would be the best in this arc, it had some team battles, we could have them in a ring too. I don't know I have a bad feeling about this Battle Royale, I can expect a lot of mess visually speaking (art) and battles (bad animation), hoping for not be the case though.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Noah wrote:
So? Just because we hadn't any memorable scenes regarding births don't mean we can't expect it.
A Man named RJ wrote:I really wish this arc were structured more like a Dark Tournament, than what it currently is.
Exactly, the format of the Dark Tournament would be the best in this arc, it had some team battles, we could have them in a ring too. I don't know I have a bad feeling about this Battle Royale, I can expect a lot of mess visually speaking (art) and battles (bad animation), hoping for not be the case though.
If you're expecting something that's never happened like that then it's not their fault if you're dissapointed .
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:34 pm

kinisking wrote:If you're expecting something that's never happened like that then it's not their fault if you're dissapointed.
Who's blaming who? Fans can always expect the series to try something new and can complain for doing the opposite staying in the comfort zone, I don't see the problem with that.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

KameNinja45
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameNinja45 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:37 pm

Noah wrote:
Everything should be all right. Because of all the outsourcing we've had lately, all of our best in-house supervisors should have around 10+ weeks for their episodes. If the tournament is only 2-4 episodes, we should be fine.
Also, how likely is it that Karasawa has been working on a super-big episode ever since 72?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:41 pm

KameNinja45 wrote:If the tournament is only 2-4 episodes, we should be fine.
Don't count on it.
Retired.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:49 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Don't count on it.
It could happen and be okay, if this is going to be a memorable thing In the arc or series, I'm expecting a 48 minutes full non-stop fighting tournament with the best animators of Toei and a lot of CG, at least that is my theory, too good to be true...

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Don't count on it.
It could happen and be okay, if this is going to be a memorable thing In the arc or series, I'm expecting a 48 minutes full non-stop fighting tournament with the best animators of Toei and a lot of CG, at least that is my theory, too good to be true...
Way too good to be true.
Retired.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Alee9977 wrote:I noticed that there is a new producer too, anybody has an idea if he is good or if that will help the schedule?
He was apparently a planner for One Piece and helped that show out when it's production took a nose dive.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Don't count on it.
The fact that 48 minutes is almost the exact time of 2 episodes makes me think the Battle Royale is only going to be 2 or 3 episodes. What happens next, who knows. My two guesses are that something happens and the rest of the arc is not a tournament, similar to the Buu arc, or there are multiple universes that have the same number of fighters still in the ring after the time is up and then it becomes a more normal, round based tournament.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:04 pm

Quick question how do Character Models work?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:07 pm

Gog wrote:Quick question how do Character Models work?
I think your question needs to be a bit more specific. "How do they work" doesn't really tell me what you want to know.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:09 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
I think your question needs to be a bit more specific. "How do they work" doesn't really tell me what you want to know.
Well what I mean is, what are they used for? What are the character models worth. Because from what I've seen they don't seem to be all that useful.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Gog wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Well what I mean is, what are they used for? What are the character models worth. Because from what I've seen they don't seem to be all that useful.
So the animators know what the characters are supposed to look like. Even though a lot of Super's staff choses to not follow the artstyle presented in the character design sheets, they still need them to know what the characters look like.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Gog wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Character models are used as a reference for the animators to draw the characters. They're used to retain a consistent aesthetic throughout a production.

I've been recommending Shirobako a lot lately, and I'm going to take the opportunity to do the same now. It gives you a decent idea of how some of these things work, along with being an entertaining show in itself.
Retired.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:22 pm

Octorockandroll wrote:Am I the only one who isn't at all liking the way Gohan is being drawn? Every episode it feels like nobody can decide exactly how to draw him. His eyes especially seem to confuse the staff as they switch size and shape regularly for no apparent reason.

The artwork as a whole wasn't that great this episode, though that's understandable for such a lowkey entry. The nep shows off some cool action though. Anyone know who's supervising? I got a bit of a Yashima feeling from it myself, but I don't really trust my noob self in that particular regard.
I agree. I mean, I think every episode Gohan is looking better and better, but you're absolutely right with it seeming like no one can decide how to draw him. I too, noticed that his eyes are all over the place every episode. Usually they are way too small.

His body looked good this episode though, as someone else pointed out it him and Goku looked like their Buu saga selves again (in terms of body).

Whoever keeps drawing his glasses just needs to stop. Like, please. I'm okay with him wearing them in his regular street/work clothes, but it looks sooooo awful with his gi. Why does he even wear glasses all the time anyway? Clearly he can see just fine. What a nerd.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:19 pm

Asura wrote:
Octorockandroll wrote:Am I the only one who isn't at all liking the way Gohan is being drawn? Every episode it feels like nobody can decide exactly how to draw him. His eyes especially seem to confuse the staff as they switch size and shape regularly for no apparent reason.

The artwork as a whole wasn't that great this episode, though that's understandable for such a lowkey entry. The nep shows off some cool action though. Anyone know who's supervising? I got a bit of a Yashima feeling from it myself, but I don't really trust my noob self in that particular regard.
I agree. I mean, I think every episode Gohan is looking better and better, but you're absolutely right with it seeming like no one can decide how to draw him. I too, noticed that his eyes are all over the place every episode. Usually they are way too small.

His body looked good this episode though, as someone else pointed out it him and Goku looked like their Buu saga selves again (in terms of body).

Whoever keeps drawing his glasses just needs to stop. Like, please. I'm okay with him wearing them in his regular street/work clothes, but it looks sooooo awful with his gi. Why does he even wear glasses all the time anyway? Clearly he can see just fine. What a nerd.
How do we know he isn't near sighted? I play sports without my glasses, but I prefer them on when I'm not.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:40 pm

ArchedThunder wrote: He was apparently a planner for One Piece and helped that show out when it's production took a nose dive.
He should be useful then, thankfully with new directors/producer and with the production of Tiger Mask ending, everything should be normal by the next arc, next step is trying to make every episode as uniform as possible, it's amazing how the art and the way characters are made, change from cut to cut.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:46 pm

Alee9977 wrote: He should be useful then, thankfully with new directors/producer and with the production of Tiger Mask ending, everything should be normal by the next arc, next step is trying to make every episode as uniform as possible, it's amazing how the art and the way characters are made, change from cut to cut.
Hold your horses a little bit, it's always good to keep expectations in check. We might be seeing them doing things right now to improve the schedule by a large amount, or they could just be doing heavy outsourcing so things don't fall apart, we still have to wait and see. Sure, things could be normal by the next arc, but it's way to early to even guess if that will be the case. Let's wait and see how the beginning of the Battle Royal and the episodes that follow turn out before even guessing how things might be for the next arc.

It feels like we've been climbing a mountain for the past few months and the peak is near, but we don't know if what's on the other side is a beautiful valley or a desolate wasteland.
It's okay to hope, I'm certainly hoping that what we're seeing means good things for the future, but it's always best to make sure your hopes don't turn into expectations.

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:57 pm

kinisking wrote:
Asura wrote:

How do we know he isn't near sighted? I play sports without my glasses, but I prefer them on when I'm not.
Well for one he's demonstrated very recently that he doesn't need to rely on his vision to fight well and that was without even being able to sense his opponent's ki. Secondly I think both Asura and myself agree that we're not against him having glasses but we don't find his glasses in particular to be visually appealing at all. There are some damn cool glasses frames in anime but Gohan's just look dorky. And yeah, he is kind of a dorky character but the cool thing about his character was that he could switch from dorky to badass if that was what the situation required. And that's still sort of present here, he doesn't wear them when fighting but then what's the point of him wearing them while he's in his gi and anticipating a fight? Before his match with Lavenda he just casually throws them on the ground. If you hold such little regard for them why did you even bother bringing them?
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta