Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 72

Post by kinisking » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:29 am

I think the art will be good but the animation will be conservative. I'm at least hoping that's the case.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:50 pm

iAnimationLover_ wrote:

It's actually from the RoF arc;The goku in the paper was from episode 20, and it was drawn by shimanuki
Oh yeah, he is in his RoF robes. How the heck did I miss that out ?!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:09 pm

kinisking wrote:I think the art will be good but the animation will be conservative. I'm at least hoping that's the case.

I hope too. I prefer good looking art and conservative animation for fillers
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Remember guys, the next arc is likely going to be slow paced. So I think both the plot and animation should be fine.... Atleast.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:02 am

Gashif Aldi wrote:Remember guys, the next arc is likely going to be slow paced. So I think both the plot and animation should be fine.... Atleast.
Also the U6 arc had a full fledged tournament. I don't think it is going to be the same in this case. It would be very un-Toriyama like for us to get a similar tournament arc, considering we already had one not to long ago. So hopefully it won't be a burden to animate, unlike the U6 arc.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:13 am

emperior wrote:
kinisking wrote:I think the art will be good but the animation will be conservative. I'm at least hoping that's the case.

I hope too. I prefer good looking art and conservative animation for fillers
This combination makes the perfect filler and slow paced episodes
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:15 am

Right, finally back home for the weekend.

I had a cursory glance through the latest Blu-ray box and no major changes stuck out to me. If there is anything, I imagine it's minor like the last set, and Psykomatikk will catch it.

As for this week's episode, I'm fairly sure this is Hiroyuki Itai. I'll probably wait for one more episode where he's a prominent key animator to confirm that, but as for right now, I'm quietly confident.

The only other animator it could be is Atsushi Nikaido, but the style doesn't pop up in any of his episodes that aren't with Itai. The fact that the style popped up at the same time as Itai was promoted to supervisor makes me think I should just go with the obvious.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Hopefully his next episode rolls around pretty quickly and he actually leaves his mark a bit more clearly. I feel like I'm so close to drawing a line under this and calling it done, but I just need that last push.

I'll hold off on a catalogue entry for now, but when I'm happy to confirm it, I'll go back and add his episodes, and correct that 'Shimanuki (Presumed)' on #64's entry.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:32 pm

dhaval_dongre wrote:
Gashif Aldi wrote:Remember guys, the next arc is likely going to be slow paced. So I think both the plot and animation should be fine.... Atleast.
Also the U6 arc had a full fledged tournament. I don't think it is going to be the same in this case. It would be very un-Toriyama like for us to get a similar tournament arc, considering we already had one not to long ago. So hopefully it won't be a burden to animate, unlike the U6 arc.
I think the problem with the U6 arc was the fact that Toei/Shueisha wanted it to start asap from the retellings hence why they made Toyo skip it in the Manga, there was opportunity to extend the beginning, have Champa recruit everyone, show more of Goku and Vegeta's training etc, the beginning of the arc did feel rushed. But now we had two arcs there is no need to rush like that and seems they aren't with the fact that the opening arc mentions nothing about the Tournament and the fact we have had two months of downtime, initially I was surprised there wasn't gonna be a big flashy opening but as Ajay and a few others said it is actually a good thing save it for the actual tournament. I just hope there is an interesting sub-plot that happens while the Tournament is going on that way they don't have to cut to dialogue and reactions every 5 minutes!

I can maybe see what Ajay means when he said tournament arcs are quite difficult to do, Fairy Tail actually went on it's first yearly hiatus in that midst of it's big tournament arc.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I think the problem with the U6 arc was the fact that Toei/Shueisha wanted it to start asap from the retellings hence why they made Toyo skip it in the Manga, there was opportunity to extend the beginning, have Champa recruit everyone, show more of Goku and Vegeta's training etc, the beginning of the arc did feel rushed. But now we had two arcs there is no need to rush like that and seems they aren't with the fact that the opening arc mentions nothing about the Tournament and the fact we have had two months of downtime, initially I was surprised there wasn't gonna be a big flashy opening but as Ajay and a few others said it is actually a good thing save it for the actual tournament. I just hope there is an interesting sub-plot that happens while the Tournament is going on that way they don't have to cut to dialogue and reactions every 5 minutes!

I can maybe see what Ajay means when he said tournament arcs are quite difficult to do, Fairy Tail actually went on it's first yearly hiatus in that midst of it's big tournament arc.
I agree, the production was the main issue behind the fast pacing of the U6 arc. The World Trigger staff joined after the first few episodes and we hardly had much staff in terms of numbers and the necessary talent to pull of such the fights in the arc. But this time around things are much better, we have a better staff, some amazingly talented animators, plus a few new faces showed up during these filler episodes as well. I also hope Miura is a regular on the series. (he showed up during one of the filler episodes as well.)

Edit: I think the pacing will be a bit slow as well, as I mentioned in my previous post.

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:10 pm

Ajay wrote:Right, finally back home for the weekend.

I had a cursory glance through the latest Blu-ray box and no major changes stuck out to me. If there is anything, I imagine it's minor like the last set, and Psykomatikk will catch it.

As for this week's episode, I'm fairly sure this is Hiroyuki Itai. I'll probably wait for one more episode where he's a prominent key animator to confirm that, but as for right now, I'm quietly confident.

The only other animator it could be is Atsushi Nikaido, but the style doesn't pop up in any of his episodes that aren't with Itai. The fact that the style popped up at the same time as Itai was promoted to supervisor makes me think I should just go with the obvious.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Hopefully his next episode rolls around pretty quickly and he actually leaves his mark a bit more clearly. I feel like I'm so close to drawing a line under this and calling it done, but I just need that last push.

I'll hold off on a catalogue entry for now, but when I'm happy to confirm it, I'll go back and add his episodes, and correct that 'Shimanuki (Presumed)' on #64's entry.
Thanks for checking the Blu-Ray. I'm always curious about the corrections.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:31 pm

Just like last week, the animation was very conservative and there was no really bad shots or great shots. Just your typical average looking filler episode.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:33 pm

That was kitano right? Also it was great to see battle damage.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Jesus, that was bad. Terribly drawn stills, plain layouts and stiff movements that lack any impact...yet it still used up ten key animators, two of which were veterans from the first three Dragon Ball series.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:38 pm

Episode 74

Animation supervisor
Ono Tsutomu Kitano Yukihiro

Assistant animation supervisor
Sawaki Noborisa

Key animator
Ono Tsutomu Sawaki Noborisa Ohara Taiichiro Uchida Hiroyuki Iizuka Yoko Yoshimoto Masakazu Kitano Yukihiro Sasakado Nobuyoshi Nii Hirotaka Ichino Maria Tsukino Mua

2nd key animator
TAP Union Cho

-

Typical of Wanpack and Tsuji for most of the episode. Little bits of Kitano; nothing great, but nothing particularly offensive, either. A fine episode -- no complaints for a silly episode like this.

Interestingly, there's no Kinoshita to be found this week, which all but confirms the style we've seen from Wanpack is Ono's, not hers.

Next week looks like my presumption for Nashizawa, so hopefully it'll be the episode that confirms him. Nailing Itai and Nashizawa in a week would be great!

Didn't see much Manabe, so hopefully he's being saved for later down the line.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:41 pm

Taichiro Ohara and Yoko Izuka again, strangely they're on all Wanpack episodes...

Any idea why they're on Wanpack episodes?

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:52 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Jesus, that was bad. Terribly drawn stills, plain layouts and stiff movements that lack any impact...yet it still used up ten key animators, two of which were veterans from the first three Dragon Ball series.
They could've rushed it because it's filler.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 72I

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:54 pm

Psykomatik wrote:Taichiro Ohara and Yoko Izuka again, strangely they're on all Wanpack episodes...

Mostly due to accommodating the bad schedule to help finish the episode in time for FujiTV to air it.

Edit: It's interesting to note that as a former key animator for Last House for the first three Dragon Ball series, Taichiro Ohara used to work closely with Masayuki Uchiyama along with Naotoshi Shida, so desipite him not working under him anymore after GT ended (well, and Uchiyama's been deceased for years now), Ohara seems to still have his distinct style from his old days. This is possibly a key frame by Ohara:

Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 72I

Post by neolux » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:09 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
Psykomatik wrote:Taichiro Ohara and Yoko Izuka again, strangely they're on all Wanpack episodes...

Mostly due to accommodating the bad schedule to help finish the episode in time for FujiTV to air it.

Edit: It's interesting to note that as a former key animator for Last House for the first three Dragon Ball series, Taichiro Ohara used to work closely with Masayuki Uchiyama along with Naotoshi Shida, so desipite him not working under him anymore after GT ended (well, and Uchiyama's been deceased for years now), Ohara seems to still have his distinct style from his old days. This is possibly a key frame by Ohara:

What style? I'm sorry to ask but I don't know his work very well... :D is there any similar shot to this one?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:37 pm

Just for the sake of comparison, here's Ohara's old key animation from the beginning of Dragon Ball Z Episode 128:

As you can see, he has retained some of his art style from his Uchiyama days, possibly influenced by the supervisor Uchiyama. His pointy nose and sharp mouth gave it away. If you want to look more into Ohara's work under Uchiyama, you can look it up on the Animation Style Guide on Kanzenshuu.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:53 pm

That episode was fine, though the fight at the end was kinda poor, but the first half had way more animation than I would have thought. Kitano's touch was very light, very strange, focused on another episode maybe? Staff list was surprisingly small for a Wanpack episode as well, crazy that they decided to be conservative on Wanpack staff as well, but I guess they might have an action heavy episode coming up.
NEP looks really nice! It could just be that they picked nice scenes for the NEP, but it almost makes me wonder if they're treating that as the start of the arc.