Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by precita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:51 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
precita wrote:Animation looked really good in this episode. Are people complaining about the re-used frames when characters are punching/dodging constantly? I mean that happened in DBZ all the time, so what's the difference?
No, the complaints are more about animation from other episodes being reused, though I do think they reused the clash between 17 and Ribrianne too many times.
Well that I didn't mind much, if it saves production costs and let's the better half of the ep be animation like it was here, so be it.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:58 pm

precita wrote: Well that I didn't mind much, if it saves production costs and let's the better half of the ep be animation like it was here, so be it.
I don't have a problem with it, but I think it stuck out kinda bad in this episode and it was heavier than I would have liked for this many episodes in to the tournament. The past few episodes have done a better job at it.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:22 pm

Some reused animation, but Tate work in Gohan and Piccolo matches was good, but even though I like it I think it could have ended better, especially against Botamo and Obuni
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:22 pm

Well the beginning of the ep was just a continuation of last weeks, so it was probably in production at the same time and just overlapped into this episode.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:47 pm

It's really weird reading posts on other forums where people hate the animation of this tournament, like this one:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=3204

This tournament has so far been the most consistently solid Super has ever looked. I don't see how people can think the animation looks horrible, especially since we KNOW what Super looked like when it really had terrible animation.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:53 pm

precita wrote:It's really weird reading posts on other forums where people hate the animation of this tournament, like this one:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=3204

This tournament has so far been the most consistently solid Super has ever looked. I don't see how people can think the animation looks horrible, especially since we KNOW what Super looked like when it really had terrible animation.
Most of the people in the GAF thread for Super have been enjoying the animation this arc. I've seen far more complaints on this site.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:37 am

Tate did too many cuts in a short amount of time. He should stick to only doing one or two good cuts a day to maintain the quality so that the timing and overall effect is better.

Some of Piccolo's character acting did make me hard, though. I wish Tate and Higashide were not left alone to carry an episode in such a short amount of time.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:43 am

This shot of Piccolo felt very Z-like to me.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:00 am

First half was fine. Loved the 2nd half. Tate's Piccolo was great. Enjoyed the episode overall. Still 37 minutes left :lol: ! This episode covered only 2 minutes of the tournament. Lol.

The NEP looks nice. I really like the part where SSG Goku gets knocked.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:02 am

Tate's animation seems oddly controversial. I see so many people on other forums constantly complaining how terrible this ep looked.

I find this baffling. Sometimes I honestly wonder if we're all watching the same show.

lunaticthegame

Post by lunaticthegame » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:24 am

I thought this episode was pretty good. Especially the first half. I enjoyed Tates work on this episode and though it was less polished, it wasn't as jarring as some of the earlier arcs to say the least.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:28 am

Higashide and Tate were the highlight in this,I really can't stop watching the cut of Higashide in this episode and of course Tate ,I really like the way he draw piccolo and rubalt and gohan vs obuni was short but sweet
    The beginning of this episode was bad, they were some dull scene like ribrianne charging toward #17 got old very quick and gohan punching botamo constantly looked awkward
    Mostly active on discord.

BakaManiaHD
    Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:38 am

This is one of the things that I love about Naoki Tate's animation: his movements.
    Here, he puts so much details in the way Piccolo swings his arm, it looks realistic and satisfying

kill me

Mazingerdestro
    Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:59 am

Very meh episode and nothing impressive.
    Last week I enjoyed how they played with bank and the storyboard to produce something enjoyable, today is fight fight fight....
    First half had few nice moments with Goku vs Rozie (the magical girl) and 17 fighting Ribrianne and his silly dialogue. I liked how 17 charged at her and she reflected his attack by rotating and using her butt (The movement looked interesting). Also Ribrianne's aura and fire in the eyes looked great.
    Part 2 was very boring but unlike part 1 had way more animation and movement. As much as I enjoyed the hellzone grenade, Piccolo could use some more polishing. A nice moment was when Gohan charged to turn ultimate and of course the whole Obuni vs Gohan, which looked good. Corrected Tate is the Tate we want and like. But even if the Tate lovers will go wild with part 2, the truth is that it didn't offer anything unique in terms of the story....
    Still part 2 had nothing but fights in a tournament full of them..... I feel like the show got at a point that needs something unique to avoid dropping in ratings.
    The pendant moment in the end was very interesting but the pace was so fast that they didn't allow us to invest some time on it.....
    They could have a shorter fight with Piccolo amd instead have Gohan giving a short speech.....something different

cuartas
    Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:03 am

It was meh but ok episode.
    Faceless characters returned this episode btw

emperior
    I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:24 am

I'm really starting to love Tate's art. His cut was very good. Overall I enjoyed this episode, it had very nice art and animation.
    Episode 104 looks very interesting!
    悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JazzMazz
    I Live Here
    Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:30 am

The general direction of the episode wasn't particularly strong and outside of that Highashide cut, everything else was just serviceable and pedestrian in the second half. The over-use of animation was noticeable but and little distracting, but it wasn't exactly terrible.

The second half of the episode is where the episode really shone through with Tate's work.

There are no words to describe how pleased I was with his work in this half. Easily the best animated half of an episode this tournament has had. This is the animation the tournament was hyped up to have and Tate's delivered in droves.

Overall, a pretty mixed episode, the first half wasn't particularly great, while the second really blew me out of the water.

NEP: Not much movement, but at least the art looks nice.

For reference, here are the cuts that were accepted by the Booru.
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

HybridSaiyan
    Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:23 am

This was all the Toei staff needed to do, quick and sufficient.
    The way they handled his latest ultimate power up was BAD

dhaval_dongre
    Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:36 am

We haven't seen great animation on a consistent level in the tournament. Overall till now it hasn't been bad, but I hope it improves. The storyboards so far have been pretty good. The most surprising part so far has been the length of the tournament. The past 7 episodes have covered only 11 minutes of the tournament, which is shocking.

I have no doubt that Tate's, Shida's and Karasawa's work would be great in the tournament. I just hope that we can see some really great animation in back to back episodes. I hope Ryo Onishi, Kuroyanagi and some other animators from Tiger Mask pop up. There's no denying that the production has improved in this arc. The U6 tournament was bland for the most part and there's a stark contrast in the quality of the episodes from both tournaments. The show even struggled to have good back to back animation in the FT arc. Episodes 62 and 64 are a good example of that. I just hope the series improves, because this franchise deserves it.

JazzMazz
    I Live Here
    Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:48 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:Image

This was all the Toei staff needed to do, quick and sufficient.
    The way they handled his latest ultimate power up was BAD
    It was fine, in some respects I actually preferred it to the clip you showed due to how much more expressive it was and how well Tate's understanding movement gave weight to Gohan's power-up.
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]