Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

lunaticthegame

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 93

Post by lunaticthegame » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:32 am

By this point, it's safe to say that Dragon Ball Super has reached Z level with its animation. Even when Super hits its lows, you'll have to remember even Z had its moments (Last House, Studio Live... Yeah).
This episode look fantastic. The first half was really good (Being pretty detailed and some really cool moments) and the 2nd half was also really good (Tate at his best and Shida showing up out of nowhere!).

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:12 am

Has anyone else noticed that Tate and Shida tend to draw Shida in very similar fashion?
[spoiler]ImageImage[/spoiler]
Tate's Frieza looks like the basic breakdown for Shida's work. :lol:
Anyway here's the best Tate scenes from the episode.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Really like how Beerus actually looks like a cat instead of the semi-humanoid dog thing he is usually potrayed as.

Also, YOU WA SHOCK!
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:16 am

That was an unexpectedly great episode. No I am not talking about animation (we knew that it would look good). I am talking about the pacing and overall storyboard. The episode felt sooooo full. These 20mins felt longer than most 20mins in the last episodes. It shows how important a good storyboard it for the overall story.
Adding good art and actual animation in a good storyboard does the trick.
This episode is an example of storyboard and script carrying the whole 20mins.

Also Shida choosing to animate the final moment was exactly what it was needed. You couldn't end in a higher point. Shida appeared for 50 seconds but it felt so satisfying.
I can't find a single flaw in this one. (ok Tate's part was a little awkward due to the art shifting so fast and returning back to normal later but whatever)
A perfect episode for a perfect beginning.
Still....if they fuck the next episode (99.9% chance).....All this hard work will be wasted.
Seriously, Kitano!!!!

Razyos

Post by Razyos » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:35 am

I'm still not sure how to upload photos on here, but Shida just replied to me with one of his drawings from the episode!!! So cool :D
https://mobile.twitter.com/naoV47/statu ... 6553923584
Spread positive vibes~ ^.^

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:23 am

... This episode was fkin glorius. Too glorious. So so so SOO many great shots. Tate and Shida blew this out of the park.

http://prntscr.com/fl5jmi I love that shot. Looks like its from a movie tbh, amazing. I wanted to post all the other shots that were glorious, but you dudes already did it :lol: (Seems like even the image i posted just now was also posted by someone else.) Shida + That new filter is perfection.

And that shot of Jiren at the end reminded me of a pokemon xd
Last edited by iAnimationLover_ on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:52 am

At some points in the ending, Goku has his promotional battle of Gods colors loooool.
So we got some changes in the ending

aaronWgamer
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aaronWgamer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:13 am

Other than it just being awesome, the best thing about Shida's work in the episode is that he now really feels like an integrated (even if rare-ish) part of Super's team. For him to do work for a scene like that before the tournament shows his stance and he's clearly here to stay in some form.

Probably.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:15 am

aaronWgamer wrote:Other than it just being awesome, the best thing about Shida's work in the episode is that he now really feels like an integrated (even if rare-ish) part of Super's team. For him to do work for a scene like that before the tournament shows his stance and he's clearly here to stay in some form.

Probably.
We know that Toei's executives are not smart enough to make Shida a regular member of any production. They have him jumping around providing minutes per months. Next thing, he will probably do a random precure scene

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:35 am

Tu Yong-ce confirmed Freeza's transformation in the last episode to be the work of Kyota Washikita.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:42 am

Ajay wrote:Tu Yong-ce confirmed Freeza's transformation in the last episode to be the work of Kyota Washikita.
Awesome. Now i want more of him xd

But what else has he done? I'm jus curious

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:09 am

I guess this wasn't the cut Shida tweeted about when he said he didn't know where it was gonna go? I'm actually glad this cut was short and conservative, eagerly awaiting what he does in the ToP!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:42 am

Shida shared a few more genga just now:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Razyos

Post by Razyos » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:44 am

Ajay wrote:Shida shared a few more genga just now:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Wow, he's uploading so many!!! I love it :D
Spread positive vibes~ ^.^

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:35 am

Hopefully he uploads some of his SSGSS genga.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:53 am

Turns out Buu was swapped out with Yamamuro's Golden Freeza. What are people thoughts on it?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
To be honest, after a great episode full of amazing shots of Freeza, I'm a little disappointed with this. Just look at how mishappen the eyes are, they are draws in two different ones. One being the traditional square eyes that he uses for all his character designs, while the other is drawn to perfectly attach to those intersecting lines on Freeza's face.

riversxv

Post by riversxv » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:02 am

Ajay wrote:
Sodhi wrote:I wonder what Nashizawa Koji did in this episode. I could not tell. I also wonder when his next episode will be coming up.
The only bits that stood out to me as him were corrected by Ide, but the cheek shading seemed like a giveaway in this instance:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

-

On a different note, it was just pointed out to me that Nagamine co-directed this episode. Pretty cool to see him involved in some capacity. Looking forward to his inevitable solo effort.
Man those eyes in the first picture of Goku are giving me some Maeda era vibes

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:14 am

JazzMazz wrote:Turns out Buu was swapped out with Yamamuro's Golden Freeza. What are people thoughts on it?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
To be honest, after a great episode full of amazing shots of Freeza, I'm a little disappointed with this. Just look at how mishappen the eyes are, they are draws in two different ones. One being the traditional square eyes that he uses for all his character designs, while the other is drawn to perfectly attach to those intersecting lines on Freeza's face.
It looks like a first draft. Probably, he had to draw it fast without doing any correction.
The body is fine but the face could be further polished.

Edit: After some more analysis I spotted that there are actually parts on the eyes that are barely visible. It could be that the video processing ruined some details. We had the same issues in the Beerus arc but it looked way worse back then.

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:01 pm

Anyone else notice that Goku's gi got torn, but right in the next scene it's back to normal? So he just happened to have a change of clothes? Only complaint, other than that, fantastic episode.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Makai wrote:Anyone else notice that Goku's gi got torn, but right in the next scene it's back to normal? So he just happened to have a change of clothes? Only complaint, other than that, fantastic episode.
Whis probably fixed it.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:12 pm

This is what a great production would have been. For just an episode, Nagamine and Shida nailed it. Nagamine especially has been pushing the animation department to an even greater height. Shida has shown just how important his talent is to Dragon Ball. His great storyboarding skill was the real highlight for #95. His work makes the key animators' life easier, especially with the schedule in the hole.

Also, I'm not sure why everyone was shocked to see Shida drawing cuts for yesterday's episode. If Shida was assigned to storyboard an episode, he will almost certainly key animate, if his time permits. His position as a top-tier key animator with a seniority status allows him to do whatever he wants. If he asks a series director, he gets it.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.