Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

paulo89988

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by paulo89988 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:17 pm

Is there any chance that Masaki Sato and Hisashi Eguchi could come back now that Yamamuro isn't going to supervise the movie?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:11 pm

GTx10 wrote:
emperior wrote:
GTx10 wrote:While I can admit that Yamamuro's work has aged (much like Toriyama's work) I like the "action figure and shiny" look to the characters. Take the S.H. Figuarts Super Sentai and Kamen Riders for example, those figures are immaculate in scuplt and that doesn't seem like a bad translation for Dragon Ball. Ajay can you give me a example of Yamamuro's character sheets/design/style not translating well onto the screen? If I am not mistaken, he recently drew UI Goku's grand appearance in episode 129 and it looks good.
So while New animators can indeed give new breath to our beloved series it is not Yamamuro who is giving us bad work as of right now.
Do you want a Toy Story show with Dragon Ball characters? You can actually go watch these videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... gure+fight

By the way if you want examples of Yamamuro character sheets not translating well just watch Super and the last two movies, they are filled with plastic looking characters due to the model sheets looking like toys.
I disagree. BoG and F (Movie versions) looked amazing. The characters were on model and SSG Goku and Lord Beerus were flying and zipping around flawlessly. SSB Goku and Golden Freeza's entire fight were organic and lose. So I think your example is poor because BoG and F (Movie versions) were sexy looking movies.
Maybe for you, but in comparison to Toei's other films for series' like One Piece, they were wholly unimpressive and even abysmal(espically in the case of RoF), in comparison. Any of the latest three One Piece films individually are more animated than both ROF and BOG put together.

You can still enjoy those films, while also realizing that in comparison to other industry effort they really aren't anything impressive, and really aren't up to the standard expected from Toei films in this day and age, because the truth is both those movies were a long way from meeting the usual standard of Toei shonen films.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Any chance we’ll see stuff like this in the new movie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjE2Qpox1nA

Video at 7:56 is what I’m referring to
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:01 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Any chance we’ll see stuff like this in the new movie?

Yep, its definitely possible considering the staff.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:04 pm

emperior wrote:Here's the visual comparision of Yamamuro's design and the new one:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Not trying to defend Yamamuro, but at least his design makes Goku looks older, the new design though somewhat better make he looks way too young.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:23 pm

GTx10 wrote:
emperior wrote:
GTx10 wrote:While I can admit that Yamamuro's work has aged (much like Toriyama's work) I like the "action figure and shiny" look to the characters. Take the S.H. Figuarts Super Sentai and Kamen Riders for example, those figures are immaculate in scuplt and that doesn't seem like a bad translation for Dragon Ball. Ajay can you give me a example of Yamamuro's character sheets/design/style not translating well onto the screen? If I am not mistaken, he recently drew UI Goku's grand appearance in episode 129 and it looks good.
So while New animators can indeed give new breath to our beloved series it is not Yamamuro who is giving us bad work as of right now.
Do you want a Toy Story show with Dragon Ball characters? You can actually go watch these videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... gure+fight

By the way if you want examples of Yamamuro character sheets not translating well just watch Super and the last two movies, they are filled with plastic looking characters due to the model sheets looking like toys.
I disagree. BoG and F (Movie versions) looked amazing. The characters were on model and SSG Goku and Lord Beerus were flying and zipping around flawlessly. SSB Goku and Golden Freeza's entire fight were organic and lose. So I think your example is poor because BoG and F (Movie versions) were sexy looking movies.
"SSB Goku and Golden Freeza's entire fight was organic and loose"

You don't seem to understand what "loose" means. That fight is literally the exact OPPOSITE of loose. It's mocked relentlessly for how static and rigid it is. It's one of the most boring, basic, rigid fights in any DB movie ever.

BoG and ESPECIALLY RoF were not even close to "sexy" looking by most accounts. RoF in particular is one of the blandest movies of the whole franchise, and it's almost entirely due to Yamamuro's basic ass character designs and his amateur storyboarding.

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:16 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
emperior wrote:Here's the visual comparision of Yamamuro's design and the new one:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Not trying to defend Yamamuro, but at least his design makes Goku looks older, the new design though somewhat better make he looks way too young.
Goku is supposed to look young.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:29 pm

But should Dragon Ball's movies look "as good as the One Piece movies?" Do they have too? I don't follow One Piece but okay, it's movies have good animation. But did they get big (or semi-big) Hollywood-like screenings like BoG and F did? Nope.
And I saw both films in the theater and Whis's ascending the stairs scene in Beerus's palace is breath taking. The slow up hill climbing, the falling debris, the crystals that illuminate the stairs, it's God damn magical people.
Beerus getting behind SSG Goku, head locking him then kicking him away is fast, mostly seem less and quick paced. When SSG Goku and Beerus enter the cave and Goku back flips away then proceeds to crack his neck is actually a nice visual.
Golden Freeza fires his energy blasts at SSB Goku and he dodges, dips, and slides, through the blasts ending in a CGI elbow thrust is actually nice to look at. Goku whips away FF Freeza's blasts prompting an annoyed Vegeta to rapid fire the blasts away. Finally SSB Vegeta's thorough pounding of Golden Freeza is well executed with the "fluidity" that many of you guys are asking for. Hell Goku's training Kamehameha on Lord Kaio's planet in BoG is super shiny and pretty.
This to me, embodies what I expect from Dragon Ball. Take the SSB Vegeta VS Hit fight for example: Vegeta is strangely hunched over with his arms dangling by his side while Hit's movements look like quick blurs mixed with gooe-y jelly. Same goes for SSB Goku vs Hit before the Kaio Ken scene. They are okay scenes but not the best thing, a fun inbetween cut if you will.
You guys make it seem like the past movies were movement heavy more so than what they are. Have we forgotten the scenes of Broly hitting Goku through the boulders and how it was merely a loop? (A nice loop with moving rocks and camera moving mind you) or perhaps Cooler's Return's odd inner in between cut scene?. Heck even TFS made a joke about that movie's animation.
But despite that all of the Dragon Ball/Z films look and move well to superbly and I love them all.
But to say BoG and F looked bad due to stiffness is not correct in my opinion. Hell the CGI scene of SSG Goku and Beerus running at each other is my favorite scene in that film. However I will say that SSB Goku's death blow Kamehameha towards FF Freeza does look odd. (It is his face.) So again why should Dragon Ball movies be on par with One Piece's movies?
DB movies will sell more than OP's movies without a doubt. Toei's Super Sentai and Karen Rider movies lack "Hollywood" level CGI but most of those films are fun and great. Shouldn't those film's CGI be on par with One Piece's animation then? Where does it end people.
Face it, Dragon Ball has a "set look to it" that when not adhered too causes us to cock our head to the side and say "Huh, that looked odd."
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:17 pm

Cursemark505 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Goku is supposed to look young.
To be honest, Goku isn't really a young person. He is close to his early to late 40s.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:20 pm

Firebolt wrote:That Goku is sooooo good. Everything from the hair to the wrinkles in the clothes is simple and charming. I absolutely adore the muscles and the colours.

The preview image for 131.....looks so lifeless and on model, but I guess that's to be expected when Yammy's supervising. Really hope some Takahashi art slips by uncorrected!
What preview image are you talking about? I haven't seen any at all.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:27 pm

Cursemark505 wrote:Goku is supposed to look young.
He's physically 40. He's supossed to look somewhat like this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Not like this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

paulo89988

Post by paulo89988 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:29 pm

GTx10 wrote:But should Dragon Ball's movies look "as good as the One Piece movies?" Do they have too? I don't follow One Piece but okay, it's movies have good animation. But did they get big (or semi-big) Hollywood-like screenings like BoG and F did? Nope.
And I saw both films in the theater and Whis's ascending the stairs scene in Beerus's palace is breath taking. The slow up hill climbing, the falling debris, the crystals that illuminate the stairs, it's God damn magical people.
Beerus getting behind SSG Goku, head locking him then kicking him away is fast, mostly seem less and quick paced. When SSG Goku and Beerus enter the cave and Goku back flips away then proceeds to crack his neck is actually a nice visual.
Golden Freeza fires his energy blasts at SSB Goku and he dodges, dips, and slides, through the blasts ending in a CGI elbow thrust is actually nice to look at. Goku whips away FF Freeza's blasts prompting an annoyed Vegeta to rapid fire the blasts away. Finally SSB Vegeta's thorough pounding of Golden Freeza is well executed with the "fluidity" that many of you guys are asking for. Hell Goku's training Kamehameha on Lord Kaio's planet in BoG is super shiny and pretty.
This to me, embodies what I expect from Dragon Ball. Take the SSB Vegeta VS Hit fight for example: Vegeta is strangely hunched over with his arms dangling by his side while Hit's movements look like quick blurs mixed with gooe-y jelly. Same goes for SSB Goku vs Hit before the Kaio Ken scene. They are okay scenes but not the best thing, a fun inbetween cut if you will.
You guys make it seem like the past movies were movement heavy more so than what they are. Have we forgotten the scenes of Broly hitting Goku through the boulders and how it was merely a loop? (A nice loop with moving rocks and camera moving mind you) or perhaps Cooler's Return's odd inner in between cut scene?. Heck even TFS made a joke about that movie's animation.
But despite that all of the Dragon Ball/Z films look and move well to superbly and I love them all.
But to say BoG and F looked bad due to stiffness is not correct in my opinion. Hell the CGI scene of SSG Goku and Beerus running at each other is my favorite scene in that film. However I will say that SSB Goku's death blow Kamehameha towards FF Freeza does look odd. (It is his face.) So again why should Dragon Ball movies be on par with One Piece's movies?
DB movies will sell more than OP's movies without a doubt. Toei's Super Sentai and Karen Rider movies lack "Hollywood" level CGI but most of those films are fun and great. Shouldn't those film's CGI be on par with One Piece's animation then? Where does it end people.
Face it, Dragon Ball has a "set look to it" that when not adhered too causes us to cock our head to the side and say "Huh, that looked odd."
Couldn't agree more, I feel like so many people unnecessarily bash BoG and RoF... I understand some people want a more modern approach to DB, and I'm ok if that is the case for the new movie, but I would prefer it to have a distinctive look intead of having the simplistic or loose look of almost every other anime out there, it doesn't need to look like One Piece, Naruto or Pokemon Sun and Moon, Bog and RoF are the proof that you can have great animation without super minimalist art, heck this the whole point of having a supervisor, isn't it? And you can still go for the soft approach without changing completely how the characters look, (compare pokemon sun and moon with the new pokemon movie preview, for example).

Now going back to Shintani's design, I do think I overreacted a bit since it was just a promo image, though I'm still not a huge fan of that face

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:32 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Firebolt wrote:That Goku is sooooo good. Everything from the hair to the wrinkles in the clothes is simple and charming. I absolutely adore the muscles and the colours.

The preview image for 131.....looks so lifeless and on model, but I guess that's to be expected when Yammy's supervising. Really hope some Takahashi art slips by uncorrected!
What preview image are you talking about? I haven't seen any at all.
My Imgur is broken for some reason, so I can't post it. You can find it in the Official Announcement thread. Spoiler warning!
[spoiler]It's the one with Goku and Freeza.[/spoiler]

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:51 pm

Stumbled up these nice comparison charts of how much Dragon Ball's art style has evolved over the years from different artists:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Stumbled up these nice comparison charts of how much Dragon Ball's art style has evolved over the years from different artists:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
Z-Yamamuro Goku and Z-Nakatsuru Vegeta are the best designs.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:01 pm

JazzMazz wrote:

Do you by any chance know who animated the scene?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:

Do you by any chance know who animated the scene?
Sadly we don't know, the scene is listed on the Booru but I hasn't been identified.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:16 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Stumbled up these nice comparison charts of how much Dragon Ball's art style has evolved over the years from different artists:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

There is an error in that section of Vegeta.

This one is the accurate one with the exception of Kid Vegeta who was Nakatsuru:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:13 am

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
Know I'm going to be hanged for this, but I liked Yamamuro 2010 the best in the bunch. Although, the new design is my second favorite.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:16 am

paulo89988 wrote:
GTx10 wrote:But should Dragon Ball's movies look "as good as the One Piece movies?" Do they have too? I don't follow One Piece but okay, it's movies have good animation. But did they get big (or semi-big) Hollywood-like screenings like BoG and F did? Nope.
Couldn't agree more, I feel like so many people unnecessarily bash BoG and RoF... I understand some people want a more modern approach to DB, and I'm ok if that is the case for the new movie, but I would prefer it to have a distinctive look intead of having the simplistic or loose look of almost every other anime out there, it doesn't need to look like One Piece, Naruto or Pokemon Sun and Moon, Bog and RoF are the proof that you can have great animation without super minimalist art, heck this the whole point of having a supervisor, isn't it? And you can still go for the soft approach without changing completely how the characters look, (compare pokemon sun and moon with the new pokemon movie preview, for example).

Now going back to Shintani's design, I do think I overreacted a bit since it was just a promo image, though I'm still not a huge fan of that face
You people can't be serious.

-This the first time that I've seen anyone not willing to not see Dragonball improve itself and actually defend mediocrity instead of vouching for something better. You're basically saying, its trash, and I know its trash, but its our trash and should continue like trash.

-The CGI in ROF is indefensibly bad especially when compared to the CGI use of in something like One Piece Films: Z, which was actually able to effectively incorporate CGI into the fights without turning Goku and Freeza into distracting video game characters.

- Ok, imagine these, two scenes, here.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
These are without a doubt the best scenes from ROF and together they last a little less than 2 minutes. Now imagine instead of looking that good for two minutes, the entire movie looked that good, pretty much non-stop all the time. If you do that, you'll have something comparable to the quality of the latest One Piece films. Why shouldn't Dragonball aspire for that kind of quality?

-I'm not saying DB should look like One Piece, I'm saying DB should look good by at the very least technical, something it currently really isn't. What's the point in having a distinctive look if all it does is harm the franchise visually, and turn away big names from working on the franchise.

In terms of production, Dragonball has been a joke ever since it returned with BOG. We had one mediocre looking film in BOG, one bad looking film in ROF, and a series that had visually became the punchline of the industry in Super. I have no idea why anyone could think that the current state of Dragonball visually is even remotely acceptable.

You say DB the new DB movie will sell vastly more than the OP movie, meaning it will be more directly available and in the spotlight, yet you inconceivably don't want DB to be a high a quality product as possible. Why? Why don't you want DB to be as well animated as it possibly can be? Why do you deny that ROF and BOG weren't that special in comparison to any of the last 3 One Piece films and more bafflingly why don't you want to accept that level of quality from the new DB film?

This is some really mental gymnastics right here.

I don't mean to come off as offensive, but I'm genuinely baffled and ticked off, I can't believe any Dragonball fan would willingly want Dragonball to be worse when it could be better.