Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 82

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:43 am

KameNinja45 wrote:The animation in the NEP actually looks fairly decent, especially considering it's Yashima.
Some semi-faraway shots are sorta jarring, but as a whole it looks fine.
This long shot that was used in two cuts in the NEP is the only part that stood out as not so great looking to me.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
The NEP is honestly kinda surprising, Yashima's art isn't as polished as the last two episodes he supervised, understandable considering how much work he did in the exhibition, but for the most part there is a surprising amount of motion, and pretty good motion at that (save for the bits that the pictures above are from). It even has little things like Gohan's Gi rippling from the shockwave from catching one of Krillin's punches.

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:04 am

I really wish this arc were structured more like a Dark Tournament, than what it currently is. I've never found Battle royales in arenas to be fun (Case and Point: One Piece) because they're so clustered that all the elements that make fights great (I.E personal stories intertwined and told within the fights) get jumbled around to make something that's hard to get motivated by. They're done better, IMHO in LARGE scale arenas, like a whole city or forest

Another reason is because this arc has been built up for so long that a single 2 episode fight, as is the prediction, would be an anti-climax with so many fighters involved. But this is also because I'm a total sakuga whore, and I would love to see Dragon Ball sport more loose sakuga fighting.
______

Next episode's animation looks janky as hell. I'm a little worried.
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:14 am

Yashima and Kitano are being used really heavily so far. I guess it probably has to do with their speed and in case of kitano, just put him in sacrificial stuff.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:32 am

Sodhi wrote:Yashima and Kitano are being used really heavily so far. I guess it probably has to do with their speed and in case of kitano, just put him in sacrificial stuff.
It's very interesting, that along with the crazy amount of outsourcing makes me really hopeful that Toei has a good amount of people working ahead on the show. If that is the case it does bring into question what the deal was with the 10 weeks of filler if they were going to use the opening 10 or so episodes of this arc to make things better, maybe that first 10 weeks was taken up by a lot of planning to get things in place. Who knows, I just hope that this is all a good thing and we aren't running head first into a crash.

Fingers crossed that it ends up something like this;

84 is Yashima and one or two other animators with a small amount of second key animators, hopefully we see a fair amount of Tsuji, but the fact that she was entirely absent in the NEP is odd
85 is Ono and Sawaki each handling half of an episode and the entire episode being done by the studio they're from outside of some second key animators and Ide
86 is entirely Wanpack with a fair amount of people correcting the episode, again, hopefully a fair amount of Tsuji
87 is the final build up episode, maybe outsourced to TAP with Ishikawa and Ide handling lots of corrections
88 is the start of the Battle Royale with Karasawa's return and a nice selection of animators

Then beyond that point they have lots of options, like Manabe and Tate.
I'm super anxious to see the next staff listings in 2-ish weeks.

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:30 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Sodhi wrote:Yashima and Kitano are being used really heavily so far. I guess it probably has to do with their speed and in case of kitano, just put him in sacrificial stuff.
It's very interesting, that along with the crazy amount of outsourcing makes me really hopeful that Toei has a good amount of people working ahead on the show. If that is the case it does bring into question what the deal was with the 10 weeks of filler if they were going to use the opening 10 or so episodes of this arc to make things better, maybe that first 10 weeks was taken up by a lot of planning to get things in place. Who knows, I just hope that this is all a good thing and we aren't running head first into a crash.

Fingers crossed that it ends up something like this;

84 is Yashima and one or two other animators with a small amount of second key animators, hopefully we see a fair amount of Tsuji, but the fact that she was entirely absent in the NEP is odd
85 is Ono and Sawaki each handling half of an episode and the entire episode being done by the studio they're from outside of some second key animators and Ide
86 is entirely Wanpack with a fair amount of people correcting the episode, again, hopefully a fair amount of Tsuji
87 is the final build up episode, maybe outsourced to TAP with Ishikawa and Ide handling lots of corrections
88 is the start of the Battle Royale with Karasawa's return and a nice selection of animators

Then beyond that point they have lots of options, like Manabe and Tate.
I'm super anxious to see the next staff listings in 2-ish weeks.
Maybe 5 Weeks planning and animating the OP, and 5 weeks for animators and freelancers to do the Battle Royal.
I mean, dude after watching SAO Ordinal Scale, the climax just making me to wish that theres Giant Picolo.

Is it possible we get Arifumi Imai, Norio Matsumoto, Takeshi Honda, Yoshimichi Kameda and all these legends to animate it?

Like, it could attract a lots of freelancers in the current situation we're in.

Maybe, we can get animators style like the DBZ Fets commercial animation. And with Hideki Yamazaki appearing episode 80 made me think that there's some talented freelancers and other studio animators working at it, I hope Nagamine call all of his friend's friends too.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:12 am

Alee9977 wrote:Bank animation? Lol
So, they using animation from the opening makes me think they will use the fight scenes as well.
Solid episode, good art, surprised to see Shimanuki.
Next week Yashima, and doesn't look bad.
If it's animation already done seems like a waste not to bank it and it's not surprising, Female Broly had a longer few seconds in the PV than the actual OP leads me to believe they may have been animating for episodes in mind. Or the unlikely scenario that some of the OP is actually cut from upcoming episodes.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:18 am

The art was pretty serviceable for the most part.

Nothing really all that noteworthy about the episode itself besides some decent character acting at points.

The staff list was also a little strange.

Next episode looks like it's going to be Yashima handling another action heavy episode. My hopes aren't particularly high but I think it should at least be serviceable.

EDIT: Besides using bank from the opening, they also used some from #79.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:35 am

JazzMazz wrote:#83

Nothing really all that noteworthy about the episode itself besides some decent character acting at points.

Next episode looks like it's going to be Yashima handling another action heavy episode. My hopes aren't particularly high but I think it should at least be serviceable.

Could you show me what they reused? I didn't catch them through my first watch :lol:

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:55 am

iAnimationLover_ wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:#83

Could you show me what they reused? I didn't catch them through my first watch :lol:
The scene from when Krillin was fighting Basil has a reused scene from when he was fighting Buu. Namely when his shooting his leg cannon things.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:23 am

Did they remove the filter? There's still that black border, but the saturation seems way less visible...

KameNinja45
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameNinja45 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:31 am

Psykomatik wrote:Did they remove the filter? There's still that black border, but the saturation seems way less visible...
The filter is definitely still there. They might've toned it down though.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:38 am

Psykomatik wrote:Did they remove the filter? There's still that black border, but the saturation seems way less visible...
The filter is different in every location, Kaioshin's Realm and Earth are very different.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: If it's animation already done seems like a waste not to bank it and it's not surprising, Female Broly had a longer few seconds in the PV than the actual OP leads me to believe they may have been animating for episodes in mind. Or the unlikely scenario that some of the OP is actually cut from upcoming episodes.
I'm glad they are doing that, this makes my theory about using the fighting scenes of the OP in the tournament more possible :D
I really want a Shida long cut in the tournament, having some others important animators from Toei will be great too.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:56 am

Alee9977 wrote: I'm glad they are doing that, this makes my theory about using the fighting scenes of the OP in the tournament more possible :D
I really want a Shida long cut in the tournament, having some others important animators from Toei will be great too.
Right I don't see anything wrong with that, Shida already done a small cut why not use it an episode and save a few seconds? I am sure Shida will work on stuff for actual episodes too but I am unsure whether I want a long cut like #66 or a bunch of short ones like #57 but spread out through the tournament.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:07 pm

The line thickness is the same, but they seem to have fixed the coloring issues since we last saw Earth.
Retired.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:18 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
The line thickness is the same, but they seem to have fixed the coloring issues since we last saw Earth.
Some details in the darker areas still get lost. Maybe these episodes is also their way of hearing people's reactions and finalizing the filter.
By now I think most of us are ok with the filter and don't mind it at all.
Some shadows do look better with the filter and the characters feel like they have more depth.
Still some scenes look a little yellowish.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:24 pm

Mazingerdestro wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Some details in the darker areas still get lost. Maybe these episodes is also their way of hearing people's reactions and finalizing the filter.
Some shadows do look better with the filter and the characters feel like they have more depth.
I've been pro-filter all along, although I wasn't a fan of the contrast issues it presented. The backgrounds actually work now, this was a fine way to counteract the talentless monkey in charge of the color palette.
Retired.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Mazingerdestro wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: The line thickness is the same, but they seem to have fixed the coloring issues since we last saw Earth.
I've been pro-filter all along, although I wasn't a fan of the contrast issues it presented. The backgrounds actually work now, this was a fine way to counteract the talentless monkey in charge of the color palette.
Maybe talentless monkey is a little too much, if he is there it may be because of something, this one is better than the other we had for the 46 first episodes.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:29 pm

I didn't really like this episode's art, it looked bad sometimes.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Mazingerdestro wrote:
Maybe talentless monkey is a little too much, if he is there it may be because of something, this one is better than the other we had for the 46 first episodes.
I was just being inflammatory, I'm sure he's usually fine. For whatever reason, they just couldn't get the foreground and background to blend correctly before the filter.
Retired.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:55 pm

emperior wrote:I didn't really like this episode's art, it looked bad sometimes.
Me either it was very sporadic and disproportionate looking, but on the upside it was outsourced.