Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Amir » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Awesome episode with awesome animation.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:35 pm

SSJG looked nice for the scenes it was in, but apart from that, this was a kinda of... decent. But, for an episode which marked the return of SSJG, the episode as a whole just looked really unspectacular. In fact, I spotted some reused animation from the Champa arc when Hit was attacking Dyspo. It wasn't bad by any stretch, but I just felt like the episode could have been more visually appealing than it was. Either way, It's a solid entry, but it felt like a missed opportunity.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:36 pm

They re-used footage from the Champa arc, episode #38 specifically. A shot of Hit's fighting pose and animation of him beating down Vegeta.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:38 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:SSJG looked nice for the scenes it was in, but apart from that, this was a kinda of... decent. But, for an episode which marked the return of SSJG, the episode as a whole just looked really unspectacular. In fact, I spotted some reused animation from the Champa arc when Hit was attacking Dyspo. It wasn't bad by any stretch, but I just felt like the episode could have been more visually appealing than it was. Either way, It's a solid entry, but it felt like a missed opportunity.
i don't know if anything can really satisfy you :D :D

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:41 pm

Episode 104

Animation Supervisors
Chihiro Tanaka
Hiroyuki Itai

Assistant Supervisors
Tomoko Kusunoki
Kyosuke Matsui

Key Animators
<Insert 1 million Wanpack animators that I can't be bothered to translate>

Jin Inaba
Atsushi Nikaido
Nobuyoshi Sasakado
Hiroyuki Itai

Second Key Animators
Tu Yong-ce
Miyako Tsuji
MIyuki Yokoyama
A-Line
Toei Phils

-

Another episode where Tanaka leads Wanpack, and no Kinoshita at all (I checked for her in the KA list). I wonder if she's busy or if they finally realised that Tanaka is significantly better at drawing Dragon Ball than her. Not complaining either way.

Action was fairly rudimentary with a few standouts here and there, though nothing 'booru-worthy', I guess. Was surprised (though I shouldn't have been) to see them reuse stuff from episode 38. One of my favourite bits from the Hit vs Vegeta fight was repurposed, with Dyspo taking Vegeta's place.

I have zero thoughts on next week - there was nothing in the NEP that caught my interest.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:42 pm

Only 4 animators for the Toei half? Huh, would have thought it'd be a bit more than that.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:43 pm

Nasryyy wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:SSJG looked nice for the scenes it was in, but apart from that, this was a kinda of... decent. But, for an episode which marked the return of SSJG, the episode as a whole just looked really unspectacular. In fact, I spotted some reused animation from the Champa arc when Hit was attacking Dyspo. It wasn't bad by any stretch, but I just felt like the episode could have been more visually appealing than it was. Either way, It's a solid entry, but it felt like a missed opportunity.
i don't know if anything can really satisfy you :D :D
Oh trust me, there have been some episodes in Super which have fare exceeded my expectations. I guess because SSJG was coming back (and I love the form) and I deep down wanted something more special out of the episode to make the occasion. Eh. It's good enough.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:00 pm

It was a pretty solid episode when it comes to animation, but still nothing spectacular from what I can tell. I noticed how the Time Skip keeps getting reworked visually. It's like they can't make up their mind on how to potray it. And the Dyspo beatdown scene was a straight rip from the Vegeta beatdown scene in Episode 38. Still looked cool, I guess.

Side note, I loved the music in this episode. This arc has some very "Dragon Ball esque" music. It's a shame that they keep using Kai music instead of all these new good tracks that Sumitomo has come up with.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

KameNinja45
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameNinja45 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:09 pm

Not animation-related, but that music was so good, if not a bit jarring. We've never heard anything like the new tracks in this episode before, aside from the track that played during the Gohan vs. Obuni fight in 103.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:11 pm

KameNinja45 wrote:Not animation-related, but that music was so good, if not a bit jarring. We've never heard anything like the new tracks in this episode before, aside from the track that played during the Gohan vs. Obuni fight in 103.
Then why did you post it here? lol

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:13 pm

Enjoyed the episode even more in HD. I found it interesting that Tsuji drew Hit with a really thick neck a few times, I imagine she was probably the one that drew Dyspo with a huge neck too. While there was nothing amazing in the action or anything this was definitely one of those episodes that does a great job tricking you into thinking Super has a normal production for a long running show.
I love the cut this shot is from;
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Reminds me of a bit from Todoroki vs Midoriya in MHA, just not as heavily animated, obviously.

Was anybody able to spot a Toei supervisor in the NEP? I wasn't.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:19 pm

ArchedThunder wrote: Was anybody able to spot a Toei supervisor in the NEP? I wasn't.
that's the problem with normal looking characters like roshi and newer ones, you can't find supervisors traits like eyes and ears and shapes because most of the animators draws them all the same

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:27 pm

I thought the episode looked good. Some reused animation that didn't bother me much but there was a nicely animated cut when the battle gets more intense.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:33 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Wow, that was actually really damn good. Solid art, lots of animation and some cool framing! Itai's style was a bit odd here, it seems like he trying to follow the model sheets closer and he's an a weird in-between stage in evolving his style.
Not much to say about the NEP other than the art looks good.
I don't remember the last time I agreed with someone in this thread! I really have nothing to complain about this episode, it was nice! :thumbup:
KameNinja45 wrote:Not animation-related, but that music was so good, if not a bit jarring. We've never heard anything like the new tracks in this episode before, aside from the track that played during the Gohan vs. Obuni fight in 103.
I spotted a new track by the time Dyspo was about to fall in Hit's trap, but sure this is not animation-related. Should we have a thread to discuss about Super soundtrack as well? :D
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:43 pm

I wish people would stop complaining about re-used attack animation from older episodes. That's always going to happen, I don't see the big deal at all. It looks good and not out of place, so what's the problem?

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Noah wrote: Should we have a thread to discuss about Super soundtrack as well? :D
This thread seems pretty fitting.
It's in the Music section.
:clap:

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Post by neolux » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:05 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Enjoyed the episode even more in HD. I found it interesting that Tsuji drew Hit with a really thick neck a few times, I imagine she was probably the one that drew Dyspo with a huge neck too. While there was nothing amazing in the action or anything this was definitely one of those episodes that does a great job tricking you into thinking Super has a normal production for a long running show.
I love the cut this shot is from;
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Reminds me of a bit from Todoroki vs Midoriya in MHA, just not as heavily animated, obviously.
Was this part animated by Jin Inaba?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:13 pm

neolux wrote: Was this part animated by Jin Inaba?
I have no idea, but it was in the Wanpack half, but the cut was also in the second half as well, so it could have been made for that half and reused in the first half.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:22 pm

Yomi wrote:This thread seems pretty fitting.
It's in the Music section.
Thanks, but too bad is not general :(
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:25 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
neolux wrote: Was this part animated by Jin Inaba?
I have no idea, but it was in the Wanpack half, but the cut was also in the second half as well, so it could have been made for that half and reused in the first half.
I think it could be that the cut was assigned to one of the good KA, so they just used it in both halves. Or it could be that the storyboard had that cut in both halves, so to make it look consistent and better they assigned it to someone in the 2nd half.