Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by Ajay » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:26 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Ajay wrote:
majinwarman wrote:He is the second best after Shida. Takahashi is a freelancer animator so he doesn't count.
We found out recently that Shida's actually also a freelancer, so by that logic, he wouldn't count either ^.^
Really?!
Yeah, like Fortune said, it came out during his Q&A session. I put together a video that tried to put all of his questions in some sort of reasonable order if you're interested.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:30 pm

majinwarman wrote: Let's not bring up Gohan Blanco or any Blanco.
It's gonna happen, I just know it :lol:
Ok, maybe not white, but silver ish, maybe. With the pic Baggie has posted, there has to be something that differentiates one from the other and I keep coming back to Toriyama once toying with the idea of making Goku's hair white, but eventually deciding on blue. This really could be him finally giving Goku a white-haired form, so I'm really waiting with excitement to see, if it comes true!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:37 pm

emperior wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: It's because we'll get Goku Blanco, so they aren't allowed to reveal it just yet 8)
Or maybe not, but it could be it will be slightly different from before and thus they don't want to spoil it?
Otherwise it may just be a marketing ploy, where they act like this is something new, when it's just shirtless UI Goku.
Nope. Shirtless UI "Omen" Goku is being shown but UI Goku is being blanked example:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prize A 20cm blanked. double chance Prize 16.5cm blanked. Last one version Prize 16.5cm shown which is Omen Goku.

At the end of #116 the narrator flat out say "will Goku attain ultra instinct?". Not "again". Further implying what we saw wasn't UI.
You are right. This scan is basically proof that there will be a further change, or else why would they release two different figures of shirtless UI Goku?
There's also this figure: [spoiler]Image[/spoiler] that also hasn't been revealed yet, which add fuels to the speculation.
Right now my theory is that the UI Omen we saw so far was designed by Toei, and the mastered UI we will see will be the form designed by Toriyama and will probably have silver hair and completely silver eyes.
The figure I posted above also seems to follow Toriyama's new art-style, look how sleek Goku seems to be there.
Yeah I first got suspicious when that UI Goku wasn't part of the final version reveal for the IBK. Sure enough I did some searching and found out every piece of merch or media that currently has shown UI Goku had it labelled specifically as 身勝手の極意”兆” aka Ultra Instinct "Omen", since the March IBK goes live March 10th I predicted that Mastered UI had air March 4th at the latest and sure enough that's exactly what is happening!

It explains why they have been blanking UI stuff for months.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:18 am

Ajay wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Ajay wrote:
We found out recently that Shida's actually also a freelancer, so by that logic, he wouldn't count either ^.^
Really?!
Yeah, like Fortune said, it came out during his Q&A session. I put together a video that tried to put all of his questions in some sort of reasonable order if you're interested.
Thanks, I'm going to watch it soon.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:19 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
emperior wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Nope. Shirtless UI "Omen" Goku is being shown but UI Goku is being blanked example:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prize A 20cm blanked. double chance Prize 16.5cm blanked. Last one version Prize 16.5cm shown which is Omen Goku.

At the end of #116 the narrator flat out say "will Goku attain ultra instinct?". Not "again". Further implying what we saw wasn't UI.
You are right. This scan is basically proof that there will be a further change, or else why would they release two different figures of shirtless UI Goku?
There's also this figure: [spoiler]Image[/spoiler] that also hasn't been revealed yet, which add fuels to the speculation.
Right now my theory is that the UI Omen we saw so far was designed by Toei, and the mastered UI we will see will be the form designed by Toriyama and will probably have silver hair and completely silver eyes.
The figure I posted above also seems to follow Toriyama's new art-style, look how sleek Goku seems to be there.
Yeah I first got suspicious when that UI Goku wasn't part of the final version reveal for the IBK. Sure enough I did some searching and found out every piece of merch or media that currently has shown UI Goku had it labelled specifically as 身勝手の極意”兆” aka Ultra Instinct "Omen", since the March IBK goes live March 10th I predicted that Mastered UI had air March 4th at the latest and sure enough that's exactly what is happening!

It explains why they have been blanking UI stuff for months.
They're planning on marketing it when the episode airs and causes people to want to buy the figures.
Majinwarman

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:20 am

emperior wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
emperior wrote: How would AnimeAjay even know if Toriyama asked something of the storyboard to be changed? That would be like spotting the scenes we know Toriyama asked Toyotaro to change of his manga, before he ever commented about there being Toriyama's intervention.
Toriyama checks all the storyboards to make sure the anime and manga are in-line with his vision of the Dragon Ball world. If a Toei storyboard has something he deems uncorrect, he will tell Toei to change it. We have no idea how many times that has happened, as nobody from Toei has made the information public and we don't even know if they are allowed to.
But saying Toriyama doesn't supervise the anime storyboards is just plain wrong considering it has been stated a few times already that he indeed does.
I guess I'll ask some people that know far more about the subject than me, but from what I've read up about the pre-production process, I find Toriyama's involvment in the anime being to this degree is unlikely, since all the stuff Toriyama says he does, are also jobs taken by other people. I can see him occassionally popping in to check how they're going to potray plot points and stuff, but checking every storyboard and every script? Thats a lot of work considering that their are already people who are responsible for that type of thing, namely the episode and series director.
But the episode and series director won't know what Toriyama's vision of his world is. For example, in the manga he told Toyotaro that Hakaishin's worlds must look "modern". What if people involved in the anime depicted a completely different version of the Hakaishin's worlds than Toriyama wanted? He wouldn't be too happy. And what if some writer who doesn't understand Goku suddenly wrote him spouting off Funimation-like lines? These things haven't happened yet in 127 episodes, which is why I believe that Toriyama indeed checks every storyboard and script and everything we see has been approved by him.
I'm very confused by what you mean by this, yes they do have general idea what Toriyama's script is about, and do draw from Toriyama's idea's about settings, however, they still have a massive level of creative freedom with what they can do with some of Toriyama's concepts around the setting. For example, though both Universe 6 tournaments occured in roughly similar enviroments, there are several key differences in how things were handled from say the manga.

The storyboard and scripts don't need to go through Akira Toriyama to get checked, thats the role of the series director, also, I think its worth noting how the series director wants characters to be written can be different from how Toriyama interprets the characters. When creating an anime of a manga, the mangaka has to have some faith that the anime staff will be able to accurately capture the essence of their work, for example, I remember the Mangaka for One Piece giving praise to the anime staff for being perfectly capable of capturing the feel of his manga/

What I'm getting at, is Toriyama doesn't need to be so heavily involved in the production of Super, since he already has literally hundreds of professionals in the industry checking and working around the clock to make sure they capture the spirit of Toriyama's creation. This isn't to say that Toriyama is exempt from the process, its still his intellectual property and I could very much see him coming in from time to time to check in on how the anime staff are handling things, or if the series directors of the show come to him to see if they can make changes to the original draft. However, the sheer amount of work that your implying Toriyama does is in my opinion, ridiculous for someone whose supposed to be leaving the series in the hands of others.

Again, I'll try checking with people more familiar with this kind of process than myself, but I very much doubt he has this absurd level of involvement in the anime.

Boku no Hitto

Post by Boku no Hitto » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:12 am

Calling it now. White hair purple... Silver?? the fuck color are whis's eyes supposed to be? In universe wise i mean.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:25 am

Boku no Hitto wrote:Calling it now. White hair purple... Silver?? the fuck color are whis's eyes supposed to be? In universe wise i mean.
I dont get why people think Mastered UI will look that much different. I thought the shirtless UI Goku from the trailer to advertise the 1 hour special was the Mastered UI Goku since the arua was different and his shirt was off. Dont get me wrong. I’d be all for some purple-ish hair or even silver hair to match the UI’s eyes.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:53 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Boku no Hitto wrote:Calling it now. White hair purple... Silver?? the fuck color are whis's eyes supposed to be? In universe wise i mean.
I dont get why people think Mastered UI will look that much different. I thought the shirtless UI Goku from the trailer to advertise the 1 hour special was the Mastered UI Goku since the arua was different and his shirt was off. Dont get me wrong. I’d be all for some purple-ish hair or even silver hair to match the UI’s eyes.
Because aura is not reflected in figures, a simple aura change doesn't explain why they have been so secretive especially when shirtless UI "Omen" has been openly marketed. This image here alone is the all but confirmation we needed. On top of that none of the UI Goku that have been marketed have been called UI they've all been referred to UI "Omen" and all the UI Goku's have either been labelled as "???", "New form" or "tentative Son Goku figure". And on top of even that not a single UI Goku figure has been revealed as part of when the final versions of figures get revealed and no UI Goku has been shown off at a single prize fair in Japan (there are figures scheduled after UI Goku that have been shown off but no UI Goku). All this secracy for a simple aura change that they already showed? Don't think so. Silver hair to match the silver eye's, it all makes sense.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:37 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Because aura is not reflected in figures, a simple aura change doesn't explain why they have been so secretive especially when shirtless UI "Omen" has been openly marketed. This image here alone is the all but confirmation we needed. On top of that none of the UI Goku that have been marketed have been called UI they've all been referred to UI "Omen" and all the UI Goku's have either been labelled as "???", "New form" or "tentative Son Goku figure". And on top of even that not a single UI Goku figure has been revealed as part of when the final versions of figures get revealed and no UI Goku has been shown off at a single prize fair in Japan (there are figures scheduled after UI Goku that have been shown off but no UI Goku). All this secracy for a simple aura change that they already showed? Don't think so. Silver hair to match the silver eye's, it all makes sense.
Yeah. Judging from the text of that image, it shows off the regular UI Goku that we’ve already seen and then a UI Goku using the same pic as a silhouette with the words “temporary/masked image” put over it. I really hope you’re right.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:27 am

Regarding the preview shots:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

I wonder if there will be any highlights on UI Goku? Being silver it would seem redundant. Also this answers my question of how are they gonna have a whole episodes dedicted to a depowered Vegeta guess this answers that lol.

Also sadly my wish of a shirtless SSGSS Goku isn't gonna happen now :(. His shirt should have been off last episode Toei dammit!

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:59 am

majinwarman wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
emperior wrote: He won't look different than what he looked before, so how would he get leaked? We got character designs for shirtless UI Goku and he's no different than before.
It's because we'll get Goku Blanco, so they aren't allowed to reveal it just yet 8)
Or maybe not, but it could be it will be slightly different from before and thus they don't want to spoil it?
Otherwise it may just be a marketing ploy, where they act like this is something new, when it's just shirtless UI Goku.
Let's not bring up Gohan Blanco or any Blanco.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 am

I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that Yamamuro hasn't drawn the Complete Mastery of Selflessness Son Gokuu with undamaged clothes yet...
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:44 am

Am I weird for preferring the yamamuro UI goku design than toriyama's one? it looks so basic to me, not to mention it's just a hair recolor of the SSJG original design

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:56 am

Toriyama intentionally changed the eye shape, so there's some intentional thought placed there. I guess Gokuu will continue to be the calm badass as Completed Mastery of Selflessness than regaining his usual composure.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:05 pm

I really hope this differs a little bit compared to the design shown (Toriyama one), i DON'T want a literal recoler of SSJG. He better either be more buff, has a different hairstyle (like with Omen Ultra Instinct), anything really (aside from just the eyes). But please please pleaassee not JUST a recoler, that be pretty lame. If this is the case though, it better look like the most lit shit ever in the anime or else i'm not gonna be on board with it (lol who am i kiddin, it will probably grow on me in the end, but still).
How i got into this shit:

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:33 pm

cuartas wrote:Am I weird for preferring the yamamuro UI goku design than toriyama's one? it looks so basic to me, not to mention it's just a hair recolor of the SSJG original design
Of course not. Toriyama's designs look absolutely terrible nowdays. I don't think there's anyone on the planet who prefers the Toriyama skinny bland designs over Yamamuro's that at least look a bit like the Buu saga's.

Do people actually prefer that skinny, bland and recolored SSJ God over the Yamamuro one?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:10 pm

cuartas wrote:Am I weird for preferring the yamamuro UI goku design than toriyama's one?
Nah, I don't like anything from Toriyama nowadays and I always blamed him for how skinny Gohan looks in ROF Movie. I'm glad Yamamuro decided to update that character design for this arc. Lack of training doesn't make a person become anorexic.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:29 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: It's because we'll get Goku Blanco, so they aren't allowed to reveal it just yet 8)
Let's not bring up Gohan Blanco or any Blanco.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I can't believe this is real!
Majinwarman

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:32 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
cuartas wrote:Am I weird for preferring the yamamuro UI goku design than toriyama's one?
Nah, I don't like anything from Toriyama nowadays and I always blamed him for how skinny Gohan looks in ROF Movie. I'm glad Yamamuro decided to update that character design for this arc. Lack of training doesn't make a person become anorexic.
I do like how Yamamuro's design adds more muscle to Goku than Toriyama's.
Majinwarman