Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 81

Post by Noah » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:11 pm

If you guys could rank the best animators we have in the show how it would be?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:24 pm

Noah wrote:If you guys could rank the best animators we have in the show how it would be?
Has this not been done several times before? Oh well, I guess I don't actually care.

I don't like to set specific ranks, but I'm a fan of almost every cut from Higashide, Shida, and Tate so far (minus the most obvious blunders). I like most of what Manabe does. I consistently enjoy Ishikawa and Shimanuki as supervisors, I really didn't even mind Shimanuki's earlier work. Karasawa goes without saying. I loved Toma's Episode 4, but nothing else from him stood out to me.

That's all that comes to mind immediately. I won't make a list because my preference largely depends on my mood, but I'm sure if you tried to guess, you'd be in the ball park.
Retired.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:51 pm

KameNinja45 wrote:I know the filter has been pretty controversial, but I just love the way Super Saiyan Blue and Kaio-Ken Blue look under it.
[spoiler]ImageImage[/spoiler]
I don't know how to describe it, but it feels so natural and divine. Much better than what it looked like before, in my opinion, and even then it looked pretty good.
I was quite nervous when Ajay did his rendition of the filter even though he said he changed Goku's hair colour on purpose, but yeah it has turned out pretty sweet. I actually ended up making a separate album for this post-filter SSGSS. I am not feeling regular SS in the filter though to be honest but it is definitely a trade off I am willing to accept. I am curious how Aura-less SSGSS in dark lighting would look with this filter, since I do not like aura-less dark lighting SSGSS.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:56 pm

Noah wrote:If you guys could rank the best animators we have in the show how it would be?
Tate, Higashide and Yashima (his quality isn't that great but considering how quick he animates..) would be my picks for top 3.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:12 pm

I also like how the filter has made Blue Goku without the aura look cool, without the filter it looks like plastic/low tier art.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:40 pm

perucho1990 wrote:I also like how the filter has made Blue Goku without the aura look cool, without the filter it looks like plastic/low tier art.
I've always thought blue looked fine without the aura but I know a lot of people agree with you.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:28 pm

1 - Shida (pretty obvious)
2 - Inaba Jin
3 - Futoshi Higashide
4 - Naoki Tate
5 - Shuuichiro Manabe

I would like to add other animators like Ken Otsuka, Shimanuki, Karasawa but they didn't do enough yet to put them in my top 5 (I'm talking about animating, Karasawa supervised the best action episodes of the series but isn't in my top 5 as an animator)

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:29 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
2 - Inaba Jin
3 - Futoshi Higashide
4 - Naoki Tate
5 - Shuuichiro Manabe

I would like to add other animators like Ken Otsuka, Shimanuki, Karasawa but they didn't do enough yet to put them in my top 5 (I'm talking about animating, Karasawa supervised the best action episodes of the series but isn't in my top 5 as an animator)
Jin Inaba? Thats a surprising choice since the majority of people can't even identify his work.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Has this not been done several times before? Oh well, I guess I don't actually care.

I don't like to set specific ranks, but I'm a fan of almost every cut from Higashide, Shida, and Tate so far (minus the most obvious blunders). I like most of what Manabe does. I consistently enjoy Ishikawa and Shimanuki as supervisors, I really didn't even mind Shimanuki's earlier work. Karasawa goes without saying. I loved Toma's Episode 4, but nothing else from him stood out to me.

That's all that comes to mind immediately. I won't make a list because my preference largely depends on my mood, but I'm sure if you tried to guess, you'd be in the ball park.
Ugh. I totally forgot Otsuka, he's great! Granted, he hasn't done anything great for Super, but he's one of my favorites nonetheless
Retired.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:37 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:
2 - Inaba Jin
3 - Futoshi Higashide
4 - Naoki Tate
5 - Shuuichiro Manabe

Jin Inaba? Thats a surprising choice since the majority of people can't even identify his work.
Really? It isn't very difficult for me, also, looking in YouTube you can find some of the scenes he did in Super, they are all fluid and have a good choreography, I personally prefer him to Higashide, but he doesn't pop up as usually as Higashide, maybe that's why I prefer his work most.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:39 am

Idk if i can make this post here but I just saw a parody video "saiyan rangers". I'm pretty sure that the animation there is traced from super but everyone else is like "woah much better than super you should work for Toei" so......... the fuck?
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Shreyas_Singh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shreyas_Singh » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:37 am

dbs fanboy wrote:Idk if i can make this post here but I just saw a parody video "saiyan rangers". I'm pretty sure that the animation there is traced from super but everyone else is like "woah much better than super you should work for Toei" so......... the fuck?
Lol have you been watching mastar media videos ? That guy traces animation.
Feel free to correct me if I say something wrong.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:28 am

dbs fanboy wrote:Idk if i can make this post here but I just saw a parody video "saiyan rangers". I'm pretty sure that the animation there is traced from super but everyone else is like "woah much better than super you should work for Toei" so......... the fuck?
Man i'm tired of those guys who are still complaining about art and animation sometimes the fanbase is really a cancer

aaronWgamer
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aaronWgamer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:27 am

Shreyas_Singh wrote:Lol have you been watching mastar media videos ? That guy traces animation.
I love that guy's channel, he does amazing work :clap:

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:36 am

Shreyas_Singh wrote:
What an unholy name you just mentioned...

On a different topic, is Karasawa still missing?
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:09 am

Shreyas_Singh wrote:
I think he's talking about cartoonhooligans video
and yes there's a lot of tracing in it from episode 39 otsuka cut and episode 49 and more

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:40 am

You guys think we will see in the battle royal tournament similiar fights like Son Goku and Future Trunks vs Zamasu and Black or Vegeta and Goku vs
Black Goku/Zamasu?? The first one was Shida i think the other one i don't know

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:39 pm

To be honest, Super would've been way more appealing to me if Kitano wasn't present. Idk, but his art style is just too sharp and unappealing to me sometimes. I'd rather take Yamamuro over Kitano any day. Even though their animations are both pretty stiff these days, Yamamuro is just more appealing to me and is more on-model (mostly because he's a main character designer and had experience with Dragon Ball before Super).

aaronWgamer
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aaronWgamer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:43 pm

Any sane person would take Yamamuro over Kitano.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:31 pm

Shreyas_Singh wrote:
Nah, it was from a channel called carhoo, but they can make their own animations and they have indeed done it in the past, idk why they decided to trace animation in this video.
https://youtu.be/3RkD8r42fmk
Now read the comments........ this fandom can be pretty ignorant at times......
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote: