Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 90

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 24, 2017 11:42 am

63 was almost consistent, the little bit of unfiltered Yashima kinda took it down a bit though.
Still an outstanding episode.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 24, 2017 11:43 am

HeroR wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
HeroR wrote:
No, I don't see them doing a sequel series. And unless the tone drastically changes like Z or they bring in new cast like Baruto, there is no point making a new Dragon Ball series.
Production purposes or wanting it to be known that they are going past end of Z. They don't have to abandon the Super name for a sequel either, they can just add an extra thing to the title, or they can just treat the production of the next arc as a separate show for production purposes, but keep the name as just Dragon Ball Super.
I don't see the point of making a new series because of EOZ unless they're a drastic change other than characters got older and Uub is here. There were more drastic changes in the Buu Saga. And if they wanted to "treat the production of the next arc as a separate show for production purposes", they probably would have done it after the retellings. At this point, it's wishful thinking that they're going to "reboot" the production. Especially since every new arc, fans make this claim of a soft "reboot".
I think making a new series would be a great way to market "new" Dragon Ball content, while at the same time creating a scenario where Dragon Ball Super is series that distinguished itself by take place within a specific time period in the show. I mean, they really couldn't do that after the retelling given that the overreaching nature of BOG and ROF, but mostly BOG, as well the time placement for when Super in-universe began, meant that any future stories set before the ending of the manga would essentially be seen under one umbrella of, "A story after Dragon Ball, but not really after Dragon Ball". If you catch my drift

What's unique about GT is that it could be it's own story without having to take into consideration of what came before it. It#'s narrative was completely unrestricted and could go wherever it wanted to go. Having Dragon Ball going into the same region of the narrative that GT, with it's own unique brand, would at the very least give it distinction and would be great way for the franchise to start fresh and for new show to be given a chance to shine under better circumstances. Should they have planned it properly. I mean, the Dragon Ball Room isn't there for shits and giggles. I hope.
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Really? I'd say the only episode that looked more consistently good from start to finish apart from that episode was Episode 66. Also, no love for As well as Episode 60 and 65?
Rewatch it again it's far from consistently good looking. As for Episode 60, it wasn't, the last few minutes of the episode was. Now for Episode 65, I still really don't know, the animation was good, but it still look liked a rush episode and they kept using two frames over and over again. So I would have to conclude, that the only consistently good looking episodes in the FT arc were episode 56 and 66.

P.S Actually forgot one Episode 54 was consistently good looking too in terms of art.
I've re-watched Episode 57, and quite frankly it looks good from start to finish.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 24, 2017 11:50 am

ArchedThunder wrote: They are restricted to when Toriyama finishes his outlines, If Toriyama is not a good bit ahead they can't reboot the production. Toriyama started writing the Future Trunks arc in Fall of 2015, so in all likelihood when he finished the Champa arc outline there were only 4 or so months until the first episode of it had to air, that's not enough time. The Future Trunks arc was longer than previous arcs (and was stretched a little longer thanks to a large number of breaks), was followed up by 10 weeks between arcs and now we're getting what looks to be the longest arc yet, which gives Toriyama more time to get ahead which would allow more time for Toei to do planing and preproduction for future arcs.
And I still stand by the Future Trunks and Universe Survival arcs feeling like soft reboots in terms of the evolution of the visuals, the Universe Survival arc more so than the Future Trunks arc.
Toriyama will be months ahead with his next story, but I doubt Toei is thinking about that at the moment.

Can't say I agree since the Universal Survival Saga feels like no more than an "evolution" than the Champa Saga was to the Future Trunks Saga. But called that a reboot too, so whatever.
Lord Beerus wrote: I think making a new series would be a great way to market "new" Dragon Ball content, while at the same time creating a scenario where Dragon Ball Super is series that distinguished itself by take place within a specific time period in the show. I mean, they really couldn't do that after the retelling given that the overreaching nature of BOG and ROF, but mostly BOG, as well the time placement for when Super in-universe began, meant that any future stories set before the ending of the manga would essentially be seen under one umbrella of, "A story after Dragon Ball, but not really after Dragon Ball". If you catch my drift

What's unique about GT is that it could be it's own story without having to take into consideration of what came before it. It#'s narrative was completely unrestricted and could go wherever it wanted to go. Having Dragon Ball going into the same region of the narrative that GT, with it's own unique brand, would at the very least give it distinction and would be great way for the franchise to start fresh and for new show to be given a chance to shine under better circumstances. Should they have planned it properly. I mean, the Dragon Ball Room isn't there for shits and giggles. I hope.
And there is really on need market "new" Dragon Ball content since Super is the new Dragon Ball content. As for Super's timeframe, that is a minor thing that only a subset of fans actually care about, not enough to make a new series unless they plan to change the cast or the tone.

GT was unique in that it had no manga, was completely an anime original, and had no input from the original creator outside of concept art. Super doesn't have that unless Toriyama stop making outlines and they decide to make a new show from material without Toriyama's input.

Dragon Ball Room does spin-off stuff like the Yamcha manga and even then, what does have to do with a new Dragon Ball series to take over Super, unless you mean a spin-off.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed May 24, 2017 12:06 pm

I had a feeling that doing a tournament arc of this magnitude with their resources and production time was a bad idea. I'm not happy I'm right. If the plot of the arc is boring to me I at least wanted it to compensate by looking cool. :(

I'm still curious as to how this will all shake out, and what kind of story they'd do after this one is over.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:15 pm

There is also the option of interrupting the ToP like they did it with the TB from the Buu Saga due to Production issue, basically another bait and switch but in this case I wont blame them for doing this due to lack of resources.

I had the crazy idea of Toei/Tori giving a warrior the ability of turning people into bad Toei art design/animation, which would kinda cover the lack of resources :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 24, 2017 12:27 pm

perucho1990 wrote:There is also the option of interrupting the ToP like they did it with the TB from the Buu Saga due to Production issue, basically another bait and switch but in this case I wont blame them for doing this due to lack of resources.

I had the crazy idea of Toei/Tori giving a warrior the ability of turning people into bad Toei art design/animation, which would kinda cover the lack of resources :lol:
They're not going to change Toriyama's story for production reasons. And it's too soon to start worrying about something that hasn't happened yet.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:31 pm

HeroR wrote:
They're not going to change Toriyama's story for production reasons. And it's too soon to start worrying about something that hasn't happened yet.
They kinda did with Trunks destroying Merged Zamasus body and unlocking the ultimate SSJB mode in that Genkidama mode, instead of having Goku going toe to toe with Merged Zamasu.

I would be happy if the "worst episodes" look like episode 90, which also had stiff animation(When Blue Goku and Gohan were punching each other).

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 24, 2017 12:41 pm

perucho1990 wrote: They kinda did with Trunks destroying Merged Zamasus body and unlocking the ultimate SSJB mode in that Genkidama mode, instead of having Goku going toe to toe with Merged Zamasu.

I would be happy if the "worst episodes" look like episode 90, which also had stiff animation(When Blue Goku and Gohan were punching each other).
That isn't changing the story. That's the anime and manga going two different routes with Toriyama's outline. And the anime did have Goku 'fight' Merged Zamasu in the energy struggle and Goku using the Kaioken.
Kanassa wrote:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 24, 2017 12:54 pm

perucho1990 wrote:There is also the option of interrupting the ToP like they did it with the TB from the Buu Saga due to Production issue, basically another bait and switch but in this case I wont blame them for doing this due to lack of resources.
They aren't going to completely change Toriyama story, and it is FAR too late to make a huge shift, redoing the back half of the story would just result in MORE production issues, not less.
HeroR wrote:Toriyama will be months ahead with his next story, but I doubt Toei is thinking about that at the moment.
There's no reason to think they'd just let Toriyama's outline for an arc lay around for months before they touched it. The instant Toei is handed Toriyama's outline(assuming they don't have the outline for the next arc yet, I'm betting they do) they'll begin their planning for the arc.
Chuquita wrote:I had a feeling that doing a tournament arc of this magnitude with their resources and production time was a bad idea. I'm not happy I'm right. If the plot of the arc is boring to me I at least wanted it to compensate by looking cool. :(

I'm still curious as to how this will all shake out, and what kind of story they'd do after this one is over.
Again, we don't know if there are extra issues with the whole tournament or just some episodes and we don't know how the staff will be able to deal with it. Episodes 81 and 90 production issues and they turned out okay, especially 90. The issues Tu is talking about might not even be something that we can see just from watching the show.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 24, 2017 1:06 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
They aren't going to completely change Toriyama story, and it is FAR too late to make a huge shift, redoing the back half of the story would just result in MORE production issues, not less.
HeroR wrote:Toriyama will be months ahead with his next story, but I doubt Toei is thinking about that at the moment.
There's no reason to think they'd just let Toriyama's outline for an arc lay around for months before they touched it. The instant Toei is handed Toriyama's outline(assuming they don't have the outline for the next arc yet, I'm betting they do) they'll begin their planning for the arc.
Chuquita wrote:I had a feeling that doing a tournament arc of this magnitude with their resources and production time was a bad idea. I'm not happy I'm right. If the plot of the arc is boring to me I at least wanted it to compensate by looking cool. :(

Again, we don't know if there are extra issues with the whole tournament or just some episodes and we don't know how the staff will be able to deal with it. Episodes 81 and 90 production issues and they turned out okay, especially 90. The issues Tu is talking about might not even be something that we can see just from watching the show.
That depends how long it takes Toriyama to write and smooth the finer details. They may have their writers looking over the outline and thinking how to breakdown into episodes, but it isn't anything major at the moment since everyone is focused on the current arc and making sure that goes smoothly.
Kanassa wrote:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 24, 2017 1:22 pm

HeroR wrote: That depends how long it takes Toriyama to write and smooth the finer details. They may have their writers looking over the outline and thinking how to breakdown into episodes, but it isn't anything major at the moment since everyone is focused on the current arc and making sure that goes smoothly.
Ongoing shows like this are constantly balancing planning for the future and working on the current content, that's just how it works. Unless this arc ends up being ridiculously long the planning should be done for the most part, and it's possible that most of the scripts are done as well. The next arc will probably start some time in the next 8 months, probably September at the absolute earliest, but sometime from November-January is probably more likely. If they have Toriyama's outline for the next arc they should logically be doing planning right now.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:33 pm

When does tiger mask end?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 24, 2017 1:39 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:When does tiger mask end?
Assuming there are no breaks the last episode should air on July 9th. There's a total of 7 more episodes to air.
Assuming Super absorbs some of Tiger Mask's staff I wonder when we might start seeing people pop up. My guess would be between late July and mid August.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Wed May 24, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 24, 2017 1:41 pm

As I feared, it doesn't seem like the investment made with the recent changes was enough to revive Super to a normal production state. I'm sure if there's too much trouble, it'll probably default back to something similar to what we've seen in the recruitment (I hope). I doubt anything will be too bad for too long, in any case, but this news isn't what anyone needed to hear right now.
Retired.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Wed May 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Psykomatik wrote:Is Yamamuro fast at correcting things? I mean, Kitano was first credited key animator in episode 13, and we can barely see him... Perhaps Yamamuro could help, with some fast key animators doing things and him correcting them?
You easily spot Kitano in episode 13 if you check all the background characters. Goten and Gohan in 13 usually have the "Kitano face". Yamamuro muat have corrected the characters that every scene focuses. The same can be said for episode 39. You can spot the "Kitano face" there too but mainly in background characters. So he might have corrected every single seen from him, which implies that he must be fast.
Ajay wrote:I have some slightly worrying news from Yong-ce Tu. He posted: "I expected the mass battle's production to go wrong, but I didn't think it'd happen so soon". So, uh... that's not great to hear. Hopefully the final results on screen don't reflect the craziness behind the scenes.
How is that possible? The amount of outsourcing and the recent increase in quality indicate that the staff has more time to work. It doesn't make sense from a production standpoint to have an increase in quality when the whole production slowly fails. Also the storyboarding process seems to improve with episodes looking more detailed. Who in his right mind would increase the workload in almost every episode of the new arc when the production suffers? Could it be that Tu was talking about himself specifically? I mean his own work is so much that he might not make it in time or he would have to decrease his work's quality? Because wouldn't it be impossible to increase quality while people don't habe time to polish their work?
ArchedThunder wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:When does tiger mask end?
Assuming there are no breaks the last episode should air on July 9th. There's a total of 7 more episodes to air.
Assuming Super absorbs some of Tiger Mask's staff I wonder when we might start seeing people pop up. My guess would be between late July and mid August.
Was it confirmed that the show ends in episode 39? I thought it was a rumour.
Last edited by Mazingerdestro on Wed May 24, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Mazingerdestro wrote: How is that possible? The amount of outsourcing and the recent increase in quality indicate that the staff has more time to work. It doesn't make sense from a production standpoint to have an increase in quality when the whole production slowly fails. Also the storyboarding process seems to improve with episodes looking more detailed. Who in his right mind would increase the workload in almost every episode of the new arc when the production suffers? Could it be that Tu was talking about himself specifically? I mean his own work is so much that he might not make it in time or he would have to decrease his work's quality? Because wouldn't it be impossible to increase quality while people don't habe time to polish their work?
I would think it's either a case of specific episodes having production issues, or the Battle Royale just having more going on than they can currently handle.
We don't know what kind of problems he's talking about and how they compare to the problems the show has face in the past, we just have to wait and see how the episodes turn out.
Mazingerdestro wrote: Was it confirmed that the show ends in episode 39? I thought it was a rumour.
Toei's website says 39.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Wed May 24, 2017 2:07 pm

ArchedThunder wrote: I would think it's either a case of specific episodes having production issues, or the Battle Royale just having more going on than they can currently handle.
We don't know what kind of problems he's talking about and how they compare to the problems the show has face in the past, we just have to wait and see how the episodes turn out.
It would make more sense if the tournament episodes are the only ones that suffer (in case that they decide to go all out). In that case, identifying the issue so early could be positive. I don't know if animators can complain or express their issues freely but since it was posted on social media, maybe Toei already knows it and tries to fix it

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Wed May 24, 2017 2:28 pm

This is worrying. But all the episodes till now have been heavily outsourced, so that the in-house staff gets enough time. Hope that Tu was referring to his episodes only.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:40 pm

They've been outsourcing for almost 4 months now, I mean was all that for nothing? In addition to the 11 weeks of preperation.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed May 24, 2017 2:57 pm

Just to clear things up a little since this has apparently exploded beyond this forum:

Tu's tone isn't particularly doom and gloom. It reads more like an animator going, "Oh man, work got tough pretty quickly!" than him condemning the entire tournament. Perhaps I could have better conveyed the tone there, but I essentially just pasted what my translator gave me.

Try to keep in mind going forward that some of Super's best episodes have been made under tight constraints. Having this new insight into the production of the show shouldn't change your expectations too much.

A rushed production doesn't always mean what you get on your screens is going to be poor, too. We've just had episode 90 that sounded like one of the more extreme cases of a poor schedule, and that turned out absolutely fine, if a little uninteresting.

It'd be best if you reserved your judgement and outrage until you can put these comments into context once the episodes begin airing.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.