Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KameNinja45
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by KameNinja45 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:12 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:
kidhero1000 wrote:
Amir wrote: Movement was a bit too stiff, but no big deal to me. It still looked good overall.

Here is hoping the polish it up for the special. I want the special to have the highest, most pristine quality of animation fluidity in every scene.
Like the SSJ2 Goku vs Kid Buu?

A Z filler fight stomps on the majority of Supers "best"
How is this relevant?

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:40 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:
kidhero1000 wrote:
Amir wrote: Movement was a bit too stiff, but no big deal to me. It still looked good overall.

Here is hoping the polish it up for the special. I want the special to have the highest, most pristine quality of animation fluidity in every scene.

To be fair, that filler fight also stomped on the majority of Z's best.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:47 pm

So I read One Punch Man season 2 will be animated by JC Studio and not from Madhouse. I was reading some comments and some guys were saiying OPM was so good because the director knew many amazing freelancers who he got on board, and not because of Madhouse. I was wondering if something similar could happen to Super, I remember some people saying our current directors know many amazing animators. Shin Youngsoon also said many good animators will be animating the ToP.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:05 pm

KameNinja45 wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:
kidhero1000 wrote:

How is this relevant?
He's just shitting on Super's animation. Which everyone who watches this series does.
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:25 pm

emperior wrote:So I read One Punch Man season 2 will be animated by JC Studio and not from Madhouse. I was reading some comments and some guys were saiying OPM was so good because the director knew many amazing freelancers who he got on board, and not because of Madhouse. I was wondering if something similar could happen to Super, I remember some people saying our current directors know many amazing animators. Shin Youngsoon also said many good animators will be animating the ToP.
That's why getting a good series director is so important. When you have some who is very talented directing the show, you have a much better chance of attracting other talent to contribute towards the quality of the show. That's how we were able to get Shuichi Iseki and his extremely talented contacts from Stuido GAINAX and Trigger to work on a episode (Episode 16) and why it ended up looking so great. Kimitoshi Chioka (the shows director at that time) was very talented, and he knew someone who was very talented and convinced him to work on the show, and that person then convinced and called up more people who also very talented to help him work on a episode, and just like, the visual spectacle that was Episode 16 was able to happen.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:26 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:
kidhero1000 wrote:

Based on what criteria? Without actual arguments that's just bla bla and whinning about Super's animation, which let me tell you my friend, it's not very original at this point and in this topic.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:51 pm

So this special wasn't last minute and was actually in the works as a special from 18/08 or perhaps even earlier. Rojas from FUNi around then was looking for someone who was updated on DBS to do some casting and FUNi just now tweeted some sort of pre-show for the special. So this makes all the lack of footage around the special compared to OP feel even more odd.

Separate note this special is getting unreal level of hype. Jeez. Trying to not get too overly hyped.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:13 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:
kidhero1000 wrote:

Lmao it was pretty good but not anywhere near compared to Super's best. Almost every Higashide scene is better animated than this, not to mention Shida's.
And the fact that you said Z filler is meaningless, because that Z filler was better animated than the rest of the fight that was canon and better animated than 70% of Z itself.
Z had the better art and character deisgns, gore and battle damage, not better animation than Super the way it's currently is (actually ever since the FT arc began).

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Amir wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:
kidhero1000 wrote:

Lmao it was pretty good but not anywhere near compared to Super's best. Almost every Higashide scene is better animated than this, not to mention Shida's.
And the fact that you said Z filler is meaningless, because that Z filler was better animated than the rest of the fight that was canon and better animated than 70% of Z itself.
Z had the better art and character deisgns, gore and battle damage, not better animation than Super the way it's currently is (actually ever since the FT arc began).
disagree, masunaga episode was epic, basically it was movie quality comparable to ssj3 vs janemba

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:28 pm

emperior wrote:So I read One Punch Man season 2 will be animated by JC Studio and not from Madhouse.
I wonder amusing would be if they decided that Toei would animate this season, I can't picture the hatred of its fanbase with the announcement :D
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:41 pm

Noah wrote:
I wonder amusing would be if they decided that Toei would animate this season, I can't picture the hatred of its fanbase with the announcement :D
A dream for DBS fans would be if they get Shingo Natsume to help with the series.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:38 pm

This entire thread is incredibly interesting.
El Conejo Malo

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:08 pm

kidhero1000 wrote:
Amir wrote:
kidhero1000 wrote:Huh? Something about the set of backflips Goku is doing during the NEP look kinda wonky as well.
Movement was a bit too stiff, but no big deal to me. It still looked good overall.

Every scene? That is kind of expecting too much no? The ToP is still going on after this so this isn't another #66 where the fighting is done, key scenes I expect will be like that but not every scene, it is simply a double episode airing under a moniker of a "special" and even then being a flat out proper special I don't necessarily think should warrant that high of an expectation anyway.

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Noah wrote:
emperior wrote:So I read One Punch Man season 2 will be animated by JC Studio and not from Madhouse.

Give OPM 2 to Toei and Toei has to loan out DBS to Studio Parrot. :D
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:26 pm

For those who knows way better than me about this, especially Ajay: Do you think it's too much to ask to have a wide shot with decent animation (I'm not even asking major fluidity or something like that) with multiple battles at the same time?

I need an episode that stars with a travelling from way up and goes throgh a variety of battles and not just those random explotions and smoke as background. I get why they do it in terms of budget and time, but maybe if they put a little extra effort in it we could have that. Maybe when there are less warriors standing.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:53 am

So I'm catching up on Bones' MHA S2, and I've noticed a fair few instances of re-used animation, that is a show with an amazing production they were able to give FUNi over a cours worth of episodes well in advance! I just find it funny when DBS (known for it's bad production) did it most flipped their shit...

Speaking of I vastly prefer what they did with the re-use shenanigans as opposed to giving us the Earth sub-plot, this isn't a pointless squabble like the U6 tournament, cutting away from the ToP would have killed big time.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:05 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So I'm catching up on Bones' MHA S2, and I've noticed a fair few instances of re-used animation, that is a show with an amazing production they were able to give FUNi over a cours worth of episodes well in advance! I just find it funny when DBS (known for it's bad production) did it most flipped their shit...

Speaking of I vastly prefer what they did with the re-use shenanigans as opposed to giving us the Earth sub-plot, this isn't a pointless squabble like the U6 tournament, cutting away from the ToP would have killed big time.
The U6 tournament used the same cut aways as the TOP. There is also 'pointless squabble' in the TOP like most of Zen'o scenes.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:13 am

Where to find this discord that was mentioned before? And how to join it? Would love to read/hear all the stuff that's being discussed 'off-screen' over there, even if it might not be 'important stuff only''.

Btw first time commenting on this thread and this forum in general, just had my account finally actived. I've been following this thread for a while now so i sorta know the ins and outs (i hope), i've also watched Ajay's vids (when he uploads lol, no offense Ajay but you don't upload that much, but luckily i can get my 'info-fix' about the animation here, so no problem with me) so i'm kinda knowledgable, but probably (quite likely) not AS knowledgable as the man Ajay himself and some other frequent commenters on here (i'm learning more and more though by simply following this thread).

Anyway, i finally decided to make an account after weeks, no wait, let me correct myself there, *Months, of being invested in this whole 'Super animation' subject and reading the discussions going on around here. So. Here i am, at last. Looking forward to (maybe, depends on my confidence in the matter discussed ofc, but also depends on if i have anything noteworthy to add/say) get involved in future discussions. I'm btw NOT a native English speaker so cut some slack if i mess up some grammar stuff, but also feel free to point any mistakes out since i'm open to improve my English grammar. I think that's it for introducing myself, nothing more to say i think. Sooo... Am i doing it right so far? hehe

PS: Question towards Ajay: can you guess my Youtube Username? I'ts kinda familiar to my Kanzenshuu username. I've commented before on your videos and you responded to some of them so there's a good chance you might recognize me ;).
How i got into this shit:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:07 am

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So I'm catching up on Bones' MHA S2, and I've noticed a fair few instances of re-used animation, that is a show with an amazing production they were able to give FUNi over a cours worth of episodes well in advance! I just find it funny when DBS (known for it's bad production) did it most flipped their shit...

The U6 tournament used the same cut aways as the TOP. There is also 'pointless squabble' in the TOP like most of Zen'o scenes.
You misunderstand, I meant the entire U6 tournament was a petty squabble between Beerus and Champa and with no real consequences so if they decided to cutaway and give us a pointless sub plot it would have been fine but for the ToP if they were to cut away to give us a pointless subplot to fill time then it would kill the arc.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:12 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
HeroR wrote:

You misunderstand, I meant the entire U6 tournament was a petty squabble between Beerus and Champa and with no real consequences so if they decided to cutaway and give us a pointless sub plot it would have been fine but for the ToP if they were to cut away to give us a pointless subplot to fill time then it would kill the arc.
Didn't kill the anime version of the Saiyan Saga, Freeza Saga, and Cell Games.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.