Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 90

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat May 20, 2017 10:09 pm

Ajay wrote:Oh beautiful Tate henshin. I never knew I wanted this, but I'm so glad it's here! And on my birthday too!
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Holy shit! This looks too good! Doesn't even seem like Tate. :P
Zero complaints. I'm impressed.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat May 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Lots of really cool transitions throughout the episode. Do we know who storyboarded this? Would love to see more of their work in Super again.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sat May 20, 2017 10:24 pm

Karasawa Kazuya was the storyboarder and director. He and Yashima are work partners for a while now :)

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sat May 20, 2017 10:27 pm

Ajay wrote:Oh beautiful Tate henshin. I never knew I wanted this, but I'm so glad it's here! And on my birthday too!

That was some Shida level work. Heck I could see that scene fitting perfectly in the opening.

As for the storyboard...this must be a result of the schedule improving. There was a lot of detail. Maybe their "tournament non-filler" episodes are storyboarded in advance ?

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sat May 20, 2017 10:44 pm

This was beautiful!!!! This is probably gonna be used as bank animation, which would be awesome!!

Btw happy birthday...

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Sun May 21, 2017 12:27 am

Awesome henshin by Tate! So rare to see that kind of thing in Dragon Ball. You can say whatever you want about Super, but there's something unique in this anime and that is the number of heterogeneous styles popping up from time to time. Amazing.

PS: Happy birthday, Ajay!

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun May 21, 2017 12:48 am

Great Storyboard by Karasawa Kazuya. The first total in house episode after #84, I think. Higashide did the training sequence and Tate did the transformation, the rest was handled by Yashima. So glad we have Yashima. The best part of the episode in terms of animation was definitely that transformation. That was amazing. I think we will see Tate next directly in ToP. I am very excited for his next episode, pretty sure that its gonna be great. NEP looks nice as well.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun May 21, 2017 1:19 am

That was a great episode, art wise it was probably the best episode that Yashima's supervised. I lost my shit at the Magical Girl transformation, good shit Tate.
Three animators raises an eye brow, I wonder if they did that because they considered this episode important enough, or if Yashima is going to show up again really soon, like on 94 or something.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun May 21, 2017 1:24 am

Much better episode than last week. Karasawa Kazuya shows what a good director he is yet again. The transitions were neat and effective. The flow of the episode was smooth. It never felt like it was dragging. DBS is lucky to have him as a regular.

I've gotten used to Yashima's style and I think his AD work was fine. Nothing bad. The highlight of the episode was of course Tate's henshin. Absolutely magical. Give me more stuff like this.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun May 21, 2017 1:29 am

Now I am really curious as to who would supervise #94. I was thinking it would be Ishikawa but since he is appearing next week it will obviously not be him. I wonder who it is then and what that episode will be about.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun May 21, 2017 1:33 am

So my guess on next week is that Ishikawa handles half, one TAP supervisor handles the other half and Itai does a handful of corrections on that half.
Sodhi wrote:Now I am really curious as to who would supervise #94. I was thinking it would be Ishikawa but since he is appearing next week it will obviously not be him. I wonder who it is then and what that episode will be about.
My guess is now that it will be Yashima again, with a few animators with him like today.
Ajay wrote: Anyway, surprisingly little input from Ide, I thought
He's probably focusing on correcting Kitano for 93 so Freeza's introduction doesn't look like garbage.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun May 21, 2017 3:31 am

Tate, I take my hat off to you. I really thought it was Shida until I saw the smoke effects which were obviously him.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun May 21, 2017 3:37 am

I hope this Vegeta shot gets correct before 92 airs, his hair is way off model.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 21, 2017 3:47 am

Okay, I think need to stop watching Super episodes live through crappy quality live streams, because after watching the episode again in HD my opinion of this episode has significantly increase. This episode looked shockingly good and the transformation of the idol character into the large alien female fighter we see in the current opening was stunning and one of the best cuts of animation that, not only has Super provided, but the entire franchise as a whole has provided. Fucking amazing.

All hail Tate! :clap:

And a big shout-out to Yashima too. He deserves a hell of a lot of praise. :thumbup:

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:25 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Okay, I think need to stop watching Super episodes live through crappy quality live streams, because after watching the episode again in HD my opinion of this episode has significantly increase. This episode looked shockingly good and the transformation of the idol character into the large alien female fighter we see in the current opening was stunning and one of the best cuts of animation that, not only has Super provided, but the entire franchise as a whole has provided. Fucking amazing.

All hail Tate! :clap:
The way it moves almost reminds me of a Shida cut. It isn't quite as animated as his but would be, but it's pretty damn close. Very impressive considering how on model and fluid it is when Tate isn't quite known for staying on model.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun May 21, 2017 4:31 am

Speaking of Tate's work on 91, I hope it doesn't hurt his next episode, it was pretty long, there was a lot of movement and it was very polished.

Also
COINCIDENCE?!
[spoiler]probably[/spoiler]

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 21, 2017 5:49 am

cuartas wrote:Bad thing that guy only put efforts in filler things and not the actual main story
Who are you talking about? Is it Tate? Because if so, that's not true at all. He delivered the best cuts of animation in the either retelling of BOG and ROF (Episode 26), gave us the best episode of the Champa arc (Episode 38), one of the best episodes of the Future Trunks arc (Episode 47) and gave the best looking episode from the Zen Exhibition Matches (Episode 79).
ArchedThunder wrote:Speaking of Tate's work on 91, I hope it doesn't hurt his next episode, it was pretty long, there was a lot of movement and it was very polished.
Also
COINCIDENCE?!
[spoiler]probably[/spoiler]
...Who did this? :lol: :clap:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun May 21, 2017 5:58 am

Lord Beerus wrote: ...Who did this? :lol: :clap:
The top art is from Yamazaki, he was a Supervisor for episode 90.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Sun May 21, 2017 7:40 am

Yoshitaka Toshio 94
King Ryu 95

According to Toshio on twitter.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun May 21, 2017 8:12 am

Psykomatik wrote:Yoshitaka Toshio 94
King Ryu 95

According to Toshio on twitter.
King Ryu has 95? Huh, maybe that won't be the start of the ToP... I'd expect Tomioka to write the first episode of it. Then again King Ryu does write important episodes pretty often.
Toshio also says he wrote many episodes for the tournament, interesting... I wonder if the Battle Royale will be stretched out like Freeza's 5 minutes or if it will only be part one of the tournament in some way.