Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hit!!
Regular

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 90

Post by Hit!! » Sat May 27, 2017 2:50 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Most of the time when lots of characters are fighting on screen it will probably be for quick cuts where a character or two take out a bunch of jobbers real quick and those will probably all come in the first episode. Most of the fights will probably be 1v1, 1v2, 2v2, maybe some 1v3 and 2v3 fights and at max maybe a 3v3 fight. They'll probably focus on different characters each episode to stretch out the 48 minutes in a natural way, so multiple episodes will happen at the same time and they don't have to animate 80 characters fighting all at once. I wouldn't be surprised to see some small CG silhouettes clashing in the background of a bunch of shots to keep things feeling like a battle royale.
At worst I think the battle royale will be just okay.
Exactly

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sat May 27, 2017 2:59 pm

The CG is being handled by Drawiz. Toei aren't doing the CG. So we are going to have the TOP on a CG arena which rotates like a TOP. So I wonder how the destruction on the arena would be handled.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat May 27, 2017 3:04 pm

Mid-edit: Well, I guess ArchedThunder essentially said what I was going to say while I was writing this, but whatever, I'll post this anyway:

My expectations are somewhere in the middle, I suppose.

I think it's pretty obvious that we're not going to be seeing multiple fighters scrambling around on screen at once. That's just not feasible for even the best of shows. My Hero Academia's current tournament had some group battles, and for the most part, everything was framed with one to two characters moving on screen at once. That's almost certainly how the episodes will be storyboarded for this tournament in Super. It has to be if you want anything resembling good animation. Resurrection 'F' was a movie and still essentially did the same thing bar one or two moments.

Considering the narrative is already pushing the idea that some universes are pretty hopeless, there's a very strong chance that many will be knocked out immediately, leaving things to be framed as a series of one on ones or two v twos happening at the same time simultaneously. For example, we may see Kuririn and #18 fighting someone, then it cuts to Goku fighting another opponent. There's no requirement for a mass on-screen battle in the way that I think some people are imagining. There's also no reason why we can't have dialogue-focused episodes where the team regroups and calculates plans while the other universes battles among themselves.

My primary concern is about the sense of scale. Episode 21 had the benefit of being able to reuse the 3D models that were made for the movie, so they could be placed conveniently in the background. While they didn't move, it still helped sell the idea of a grand battle. This tournament most likely won't have any CG to fall back on, especially not with each fighter having a unique design. I'm curious how they're going to get around that -- will they use the dark environment as an excuse not to show anything, will they have fights up in the air while others fight on the ground; I don't know, but I hope it at least feels believable.

In terms of the action, I'm not expecting anything more than what we've seen from this arc so far. It'll be passable with a few standout moments. I'm sure there'll be some surprises alongside Shida, but I don't want anyone going into tournament under the illusion that it's going to turn into a movie-tier production. I have no doubt in my mind that the staff are going to be giving their all - I know these types of tournaments encourage staff to compete to produce the best scenes - but again, being Super, it's important to keep expectations in check.

Frankly, I think it'll be better than anything from the previous arcs, but I don't think it'll live up to the expectations it's set itself through all this build-up. I'm cognisant of that, and I hope others are too, so that when it comes down to it, we're looking at it with a clear head and our feet planted firmly on the ground.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Burast

Post by Burast » Sat May 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Ajay wrote:Mid-edit:

In terms of the action, I'm not expecting anything more than what we've seen from this arc so far. It'll be passable with a few standout moments. I'm sure there'll be some surprises alongside Shida, but I don't want anyone going into tournament under the illusion that it's going to turn into a movie-tier production. I have no doubt in my mind that the staff are going to be giving their all - I know these types of tournaments encourage staff to compete to produce the best scenes - but again, being Super, it's important to keep expectations in check.

Frankly, I think it'll be better than anything from the previous arcs, but I don't think it'll live up to the expectations it's set itself through all this build-up. I'm cognisant of that, and I hope others are too, so that when it comes down to it, we're looking at it with a clear head and our feet planted firmly on the ground.
If Shida beats what he did in episode 57, then we will have the best animated cut of the whole franchise by far. Tate would do stellar animation if he takes advantage of the characters with favorable designs for him (Like Briana, saiyans from universe 6, universe 9 wolfs, universe 10 etc.)
Last edited by Burast on Sat May 27, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 27, 2017 4:10 pm

Burast wrote:If Shida beats what he did in episode 57, then we will have the best animated scene of the whole franchise by far.
That's not at all unlikely, neither of his cuts for Super have been extraordinary by typical Shida standards.
Retired.

DragonBallFan8001
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallFan8001 » Sat May 27, 2017 4:43 pm

What do you guys hope Shida's cut will be like and where or how it will be used in the tournament?

I'd like him to have a cut at the very start of the tournament, with all the Universe 7 members dashing towards their opponents and the camera moving from one main character to the next, each taking out 1 or 2 opponents in a short 3 or 4 second clash. I think a cut like this would theoretically be possible (it wouldn't need to be longer than about a minute), but sadly, considering the few details we have about when Shida was and wasn't working on Super, there might not be enough time for this kind of cut to appear at the start of the tournament. Since I think the tournament will probably go the way ArchedThunder and Ajay described, I think having a cut like this would immediately give the sense of scale that one would expect of a free for all with 80 participants.

I think most of the tournament participants we haven't seen yet will probably be handled similarly to the Universe 10 participants: all very similar in design, which would make it relatively easy to have them as CG characters in the background.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 27, 2017 4:50 pm

I imagine that whatever Shida is doing--if it isn't BANK animation--will be the climax of some episode, as was often the case with the Marineford arc of One Piece. If we're lucky it will be a big scene involving a lot of characters.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat May 27, 2017 5:10 pm

-Shida's cut-

I would love to have a cut of him with each of Universe 7 fighters performing their attacks, similar how he did with the Straw Hats in the last One Piece Openings.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat May 27, 2017 5:13 pm

Since the tournament will probably be pretty long I feel like he's going to open the tournament with some stuff that help make it look like a battle royale and then he'll show up again for the climax.
If it's REALLY long I guess he could show up in the middle as well.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat May 27, 2017 5:37 pm

With how well Shida works with camera work and movement, the perfect cut from him would be a one-take cut going across all U7 characters fighting their opponents in different parts of the arena.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat May 27, 2017 8:29 pm

Caught a really nice quality stream.
No real complaints about this episode's visuals outside of a tiny bit of weird art in the second half. All around pretty consistent episode. I did notice two instances of classic cheek shading, wonder who that was.

NEP looks okay, interesting that the transformation cut for Kale that was cut from the opening seems to be her actual first time transformation in the show.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat May 27, 2017 8:32 pm

I don't know why but I loved Super Saiyan Caulifla's Crimsom ki blast. Props to anyone who thought about making it that color. Also nice CGI on her back when she was gathering her power.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sat May 27, 2017 8:34 pm

Caulifla's hair make my dream of constant ssj3 scenes possible.

Ho w did people react to the episode today? My stream wasn't that good so I won't be negative since many already point me that the art was good. Personally I didn't see it

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat May 27, 2017 8:36 pm

Black_Liger wrote:I don't know why but I loved Super Saiyan Caulifla's Crimsom ki blast. Props to anyone who thought about making it that color. Also nice CGI on her back when she was gathering her power.
Those glitters on her back was CGI?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat May 27, 2017 8:37 pm

Episode 92

Animation Supervisors:
Noel Ano-nuevo
Joey Calangian
Ishikawa Osamu

Key Animators:
Inaba Jin
Sasakado Nobuyoshi
Ishikawa Osamu
Nikaido Atsushi
TAP

Second Key Animators:
Tu Yong-ce
Tsuji Miyako

-

That was really polished, aside from some dodgy Vegeta art from Ishikawa. Nothing particularly interesting to talk about, really. No complaints.

Next week's art direction looks great. Really love what they're doing there. Frankly, it's been a theme all arc. I suppose that's probably Nigamine's touch. I love it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat May 27, 2017 8:38 pm

Mazingerdestro wrote:Caulifla's hair make my dream of constant ssj3 scenes possible.

Ho w did people react to the episode today? My stream wasn't that good so I won't be negative since many already point me that the art was good. Personally I didn't see it
Just like it's been stated above. The episode was pretty consistent, only 1 or 2 funny shots which weren't even bad, they just looked different than the rest of the episode.

Mazingerdestro wrote:Those glitters on her back was CGI?
Atleast I think they were. Unless there's another term for that and someone can correct me :P
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sat May 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Netype screwed up it seems like. No itai this episode.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat May 27, 2017 8:41 pm

So animedia/animage or what ever was wrong, Itai wasn't on this one. Bet he's on 94 then.
It's always good to see there being only a small number of animators under the Toei part of the credits.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Sat May 27, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sat May 27, 2017 8:41 pm

i love this SSJ2 caulifla
Last edited by Nasryyy on Sat May 27, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 27, 2017 8:41 pm

I already made the mistake of judging how good an episode may look through stream quality last week, so I'm gonna wait for the episode to be released in HD before giving a proper judgement. But what I saw looked decent and very consistent.