Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:32 pm

Oof, i don't know how i feel about this ending to be quite frank. Then again, i should probably rewatch this with subs cause i quite likely missed out on some very important stuff, but still, the whole idea of having everyone wished back seems kinda lame at first glance, but like i said, i'll wait for the subs.

Back on topic: Animation AND art were topnotch this episode, heck, the art might even be better in this one compared to last episode (while animation was more impressive due to mainly Shida in 130 though), Takahashi is really something. No complaints on the visual side of things, at all. U could tell how much more effort was put into this (as expected), everything was a lot more bouncy and alive, you could notice the tiny extra bits of animation that normally wouldn't be present, very nice details, too bad we rarely saw this kinda stuff in the show. Overall great episode (and i hope it also is narrative wise).

Also, damn, those poses at the end though, the way they stood and the way they got into their stance was really cool (stuff like dust flowing away as Goku takes his stance) along with that stare down shot and the ending shot of Goku and Vegeta face to face.
Last edited by FartiliciousManChild on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
How i got into this shit:

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:36 pm

FartiliciousManChild wrote:Oof, i don't know how i feel about this ending to be quite frank. Then again, i should probably rewatch this with subs cause i quite likely missed out on some very important stuff, but still, the whole idea of having everyone wished back seems kinda lame at first glance, but like i said, i'll wait for the subs.

Back on topic: Animation AND art were topnotch this episode, heck, the art might even be better in this one compared to last episode (while animation was more impressive due to mainly Shida in 130 though), Takahashi is really something. No complaints on the visual side of things, at all. U could tell how much more effort was put into this, everything was a lot more bouncy and alive, you could notice the tiny extra bits of animation that normally wouldn't be present; it was to be expected. Overall great episode (and i hope it also is narrative wise).
I personally need to rewatch this episode before I give judgement on it but the episode did look great. I think that Takahashi and Yamamuro did some great work as well as the director of this episode whose name I don't remember right now.
Last edited by majinwarman on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:39 pm

That sequence where [spoiler]Goku was flashing in and out of Super Saiyan[/spoiler] was cool as fuck.

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:41 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:That sequence where [spoiler]Goku was flashing in and out of Super Saiyan[/spoiler] was cool as fuck.
Agreed, was also very likely a callback to the old days of Dragon Ball Z and the Goku vs Frieza showdown with that said.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:43 pm

Damn good final episode. The art was exceptional, the storyboarding in the first half was amazing and direction throughout the episode was wonderful.

The show ended on a good note and I couldn't be happier.

Farewell, Super. :wave:
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:44 pm

Visually, the episode was most appealing. Not as fluid as some of the cuts in 130 but the art was definitely on point. Great work by everyone on this episode. I think the only thing that I would nitpick at would be the fact that the other universes were revived without knowing who revived them (except u6). However, the visuals from each universe returning was beautiful, especially Uni10.

By the way, apparently someone told me there was a scene or tease for the movie? Did i miss It? The last thing I saw was the shot of Goku and Vegeta going at each other.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Damn good final episode. The art was exceptional, the storyboarding in the first half was amazing and direction throughout the episode was wonderful.

The show ended on good note and I couldn't be happier.

Farewell, Super. :wave:
I agree with you but I don't know about how I feel about the pacing and writing of the episode.
Majinwarman

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:45 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:Visually, the episode was most appealing. Not as fluid as some of the cuts in 130 but the art was definitely on point. Great work by everyone on this episode. I think the only thing that I would nitpick at would be the fact that the other universes were revived without knowing who revived them (except u6). However, the visuals from each universe returning was beautiful, especially Uni10.

By the way, apparently someone told me there was a scene or tease for the movie? Did i miss It? The last thing I saw was the shot of Goku and Vegeta going at each other.
It was worked into the credits in place of the Tournament of Power imagery. It was just the teaser we saw a couple days ago with the ending them over it.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:57 pm

Episode 131 (End)

Animation Supervisor
Tadayoshi Yamamuro

Assistant Animation Supervisors
Yoshitaka Yashima
Takeo Ide
Koji Nashizawa

Key Animators
Yoshitaka Yashima
Jin Inaba
Akira Kano
Yuya Takahashi
Norie Kanekubo
Kyota Washikita
Masahiro Shimanuki
Shuntaro Mura
Hiroyuki Itai
Kenta Yokoya
Tu Yong-ce
Osamu Ishikawa
Tomoko Sato
Miyuki Yokoyama
Miyako Tsuji
Midori Sawaki
Yui Kinoshita

2nd Key Animators
Toei Phils
Anitus Kobe

Director - Megumi Ishitani

-

That was really special, and I put it mostly down to Ishitani's direction. That wasn't just a board packed with cool angles and fight scenes for the sake of being cool, that was boarded and directed with careful consideration for the narrative, and it really helped elevate the material beyond what it probably deserved. Seriously. Well done, Ishitani.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:58 pm

I think that Ishitani should get a around of applause from everyone here.
Majinwarman

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:02 pm

Ishitani did well. I wish we could have seen more cuts of Gokuu and Vegeta fighting at the end, though. A fight between those two is special.

I hope Ishitani works on the film, if not immediately recruited into working on new episodes of Dragon Ball Super. To have one of Toei Animation's three ace female directors for our franchise is something I don't want to lose.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:03 pm

Shout out to Yamamuro as well. If this truly is the last we see of him (though I do think/hope he will return as a KA at the least) then I think he ended with a nice episode. Like or dislike his work, he truly was an icon of DB and produced some memorable stuff. Thank you for your service Yamamuro San. Onward to the new approach, hopefully it eventually sways those of us who currently don't prefer it.

Oh and before any of you think about responding to this with plain rude remarks, please keep it to yourself lol.

Edit: @Majin - I agree. Ishitani's work was nothing short of spectacular.

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:07 pm

Ajay wrote: That was really special, and I put it mostly down to Ishitani's direction. That wasn't just a board packed with cool angles and fight scenes for the sake of being cool, that was boarded and directed with careful consideration for the narrative, and it really helped elevate the material beyond what it probably deserved. Seriously. Well done, Ishitani.
You're absolutely right. Totally forgot about even mentioning the storyboarding. It was amazing, probably the best storyboard we've seen from Super imo. Something that really stood out to me especially was the transition from Jiren looking up to Goku looking up, at that moment (and already before that aswell, like c'mon the whole episode was storyboarded in this fantastic way) it really hit me as to how well storyboarded this episode is.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:16 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:Shout out to Yamamuro as well. If this truly is the last we see of him (though I do think/hope he will return as a KA at the least) then I think he ended with a nice episode. Like or dislike his work, he truly was an icon of DB and produced some memorable stuff. Thank you for your service Yamamuro San. Onward to the new approach, hopefully it eventually sways those of us who currently don't prefer it.

Oh and before any of you think about responding to this with plain rude remarks, please keep it to yourself lol.

Though I have problems with Yamamuro's current work, I respect what he was done for this franchise. I never hope that a person lost their job. I hope that Yamamuro at least appears a little in the movie.
Majinwarman

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:19 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:Shout out to Yamamuro as well. If this truly is the last we see of him (though I do think/hope he will return as a KA at the least) then I think he ended with a nice episode. Like or dislike his work, he truly was an icon of DB and produced some memorable stuff. Thank you for your service Yamamuro San. Onward to the new approach, hopefully it eventually sways those of us who currently don't prefer it.

I couldn't agree more. All the characters were on model and moved splendidly. Yamamuro went out on a high end and personally I'm happy for him. I'll keep my other thoughts for the Super announcement thread because boy do I have a lot to say!
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

dnavenom
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dnavenom » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Solid episode and very DBZ-ish :) I kinda felt like back in the day. Great work by the team. All my doubts were pointless.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:14 pm

dnavenom wrote:Solid episode and very DBZ-ish :) I kinda felt like back in the day. Great work by the team. All my doubts were pointless.
Though the pacing could have been better.
Majinwarman

dnavenom
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dnavenom » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:29 pm

majinwarman wrote:
dnavenom wrote:Solid episode and very DBZ-ish :) I kinda felt like back in the day. Great work by the team. All my doubts were pointless.
Though the pacing could have been better.
Sure but in the end of the day, that`s Dragon ball :) There are tons of things that could be better. For once I liked the lack of stupid auras everywhere! But this is how an anime like this, should end. I had no issues with the animation and were in no way distracted from the story. It was a bit of a wrap true, but it was fine. I see people complaining about not seeing UUB. Honestly, never gave the boy so much importance and it didn`t bother me at all. I liked it! Cheesy, creamy with strawberries on top :)

Now I hope they`ll remaster all the other arcs :) I feel like Zamasu`s arc needs some love, it had a great idea and was execute pretty bad. I would love to watch a ToP quality Zamasu arc, with a bit more attention to the story :)

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:30 pm

-Episode 131-

Ishitani surpassed my expectations. I expected her to do fine, but "fine" is an insult to what she di. Fantastic job!
Yamamuro also did well with his corrections. Nothing excessive and everything looks awesome. Props to the guy that dedicated 20+ years of life to this franchise. :clap:

Yuya Takahashi though <3 He's indisputably the number one!! There's no other like him. He will always be my choice for the character designer role.
I don't care if his designs aren't easy to animate, he knows what he's doing.

Props to all the staff. This is the best looking arc of the franchise for me. I will upload my gallery later.

paulo89988

Post by paulo89988 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:33 pm

It's over, what do I do with life now?