Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 90

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 24, 2017 8:57 am

perucho1990 wrote: Another thing they could do is make more filler episodes until Tiger Mask W is over, and get some of their animators for help.
It's far too late for that.
Tiger Mask staff will probably be able to help with episodes in July and beyond, but the first few episodes of the tournament probably won't have them. As long as they have the storyboards for episodes finished far enough in advance and they can get plenty of animators from Tiger Mask they just need to keep things together until those guys jump in.

I wish we knew more specifics, for all we know it's just one episode having extra issues and they'll be sorted out.
At least if the episodes come out looking bad we'll be prepared, and if they come out looking good then we'll have a nice sigh of relief.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Wed May 24, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed May 24, 2017 9:02 am

Makes me wonder if the new series directors will storyboard and direct the episodes in the current arc.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 24, 2017 9:14 am

Ajay wrote:I have some slightly worrying news from Yong-ce Tu. He posted: "I expected the mass battle's production to go wrong, but I didn't think it'd happen so soon". So, uh... that's not great to hear. Hopefully the final results on screen don't reflect the craziness behind the scenes.
Guhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...hah! The real bitch of it is, of course, that Toei won't even put in the effort to replace scenes wholesale with a good action animator for the Blu-rays, either.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Wed May 24, 2017 9:16 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Makes me wonder if the new series directors will storyboard and direct the episodes in the current arc.
Maybe both directors was like "Oh Shit, let me do this myself"
Well, that's about it.

But, I'm sure they have completed some early episodes of the Tournaments. Or they ran out of time and animators when they need them.

Like 50% are going fine until they ran out of resources and ended up getting 50% of it a mess of everything behind the scenes.
Also Ajay is like slightly worried, while the whole thread is like "Fuck". :lol:
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 24, 2017 9:24 am

Gashif Aldi wrote: Also Ajay is like slightly worried, while the whole thread is like "Fuck". :lol:
I said fuck, but I'm also trying to keep my worries to a minimum. We don't really know if he means the whole tournament's production is extra fucked, or maybe if a few episodes are having issues or what. We also don't really know what "going wrong" might mean in this context, is is super fucked, or is it having issues similar to 90 where the episode can still come out looking polished regardless?
Knowing that there are at least some issues helps keep expectations lower though, so if things do go wrong the disappointment won't be quite as big, but if the episodes come out looking fine then the lower expectations might make those episodes seem even better.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:28 am

Toei have themselves to blame for starting Super so early and they treat Dragon Ball like shit, compared to how other anime studios treat their classics.

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Wed May 24, 2017 9:32 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Gashif Aldi wrote: Also Ajay is like slightly worried, while the whole thread is like "Fuck". :lol:
I said fuck, but I'm also trying to keep my worries to a minimum. We don't really know if he means the whole tournament's production is extra fucked, or maybe if a few episodes are having issues or what. We also don't really know what "going wrong" might mean in this context, is is super fucked, or is it having issues similar to 90 where the episode can still come out looking polished regardless?
Knowing that there are at least some issues helps keep expectations lower though, so if things do go wrong the disappointment won't be quite as big, but if the episodes come out looking fine then the lower expectations might make those episodes seem even better.
Sarcasm dude. It's pretty sudden. Here it's 8:30 PM. I was going to sleep, but now this anxiety is killing me.
I don't know, but usually I do lower my expectations, if not the disappointment will be hard to deal with.

Well, we just need to wait and see.
Last edited by Gashif Aldi on Wed May 24, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 24, 2017 9:33 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Toei have themselves to blame for starting Super so early and they treat Dragon Ball like shit, compared to how other anime studios treat their classics.
If Toei had a choice they probably wouldn't have started Super until October 2015, or later.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:40 am

Why do you say that? Toei are the ones that produce the DB anime.

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Wed May 24, 2017 9:42 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Toei have themselves to blame for starting Super so early and they treat Dragon Ball like shit, compared to how other anime studios treat their classics.
If Toei had a choice they probably wouldn't have started Super until October 2015, or later.
It's weird that DB made money like it was nothing, while treated like it was nothing.
PreCure and Tiger Mask is like the opposite.
Marketing is weird.
Last edited by Gashif Aldi on Wed May 24, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Picture is from:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 24, 2017 9:43 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Why do you say that? Toei are ones that produces the DB anime.
Toei doesn't have total control over the IP.
There's Bandai, Shueisha, Fuji TV, sponsors and of course the Production Committee.

aaronWgamer
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aaronWgamer » Wed May 24, 2017 9:52 am

I'll watch the tournament but only because there are some okay concepts at play and I've watched too much of the recruitment stuff not to. My interest in this show's production might be fading.

I imagine if the tournament does end up looking mostly rough, the animators will be called out by ignorant morons over the internet as usual, despite them doing everything they can. Fuck.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed May 24, 2017 9:54 am

Toei Animation, Fuji TV and Yomiko Advertising Inc are the production committee. They are producing the anime. There's no different committee.

Toei producers are definitely to blame. But, they're not alone.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Wed May 24, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed May 24, 2017 9:54 am

I'm still remaining some what optimistic, like Arched said we don't know the exact situation and on paper #90 seemed like a disaster and it turned out well.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:00 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Why do you say that? Toei are ones that produces the DB anime.
Toei doesn't have total control over the IP.
There's Bandai, Shueisha, Fuji TV, sponsors and of course the Production Committee.
Bandai and Shueisha pretty much have noting to do with the show's production, the main companies that have any actual decision making power with the production of the series are Toei (Animation), Fuji TV, and Yomiko Advertising. Toei and Fuji TB are the ones actually producing the series; Shueisha and Bandai can't just coordinate together on some whim and get a new DB series whenever they want to.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 24, 2017 10:03 am

Bandai were the ones that wanted a new show for the longest time and are the ones that stand to gain the most from Dragon Ball being on the air.
I have little doubt that Bandai played a big part in Super being pushed out before it was ready.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:12 am

I know how badly they wanted it, but they couldn't do nothing about it. They even approached Toriyama(or Toei) for a new DB series in 2011 or 2012, but were respectively declined. Unless Bandai hired Toei to animate a new series, then yes, that would all the control in the world with the show's production. But that's not what happened.Toei and Fuji TV got together to begin producing the series, as has always been the case with Dragon Ball, and then they sell certain merchandising rights to various companies, such as Bandai, allowing them to produce figures, cards, etc. Toei might not have been the only ones who are responsible for Super' state, but they're certainly one of the main ones.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:27 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Ajay report that there was production issues in the Trunks arc as well? Before we got to witness episode 64 and the first half of episode 67.

I wouldnt be surprised if Yamamuro is again forced to help the anime team like in Episode 39,and in the latest episode 90.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed May 24, 2017 10:32 am

Don't see any point in panicking until we get our first ugly looking episode in this arc.
Episode 90 was "rushed" and still loved by most people.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Wed May 24, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Wed May 24, 2017 10:33 am

Is Yamamuro fast at correcting things? I mean, Kitano was first credited key animator in episode 13, and we can barely see him... Perhaps Yamamuro could help, with some fast key animators doing things and him correcting them?