Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:39 am

Amir wrote:Trust me, if every episode looked like ROF (movie) in terms of art, very few people would be upset.

His designs are not the best, but they still look better than most of the art in Super with the exception of Shida, Takahashi and some Manabe and Karasawa scenes.
And that's the problem. Only Yamamuro can understand his own models. And he's been absent for a large majority of DBS meaning having not animator friendly designs leaves us with well what he have had for the majority of DBS. Other animators may not be comfortable with his models like he is, they're not simple.

If he's not gonna be there correcting stuff like he is now, towards the end of the ToP, then the designs should have been more friendly more akin to the 2008 JSAT special.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:55 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote: I think mostly everyone agrees on the fact that Yammamuro's was pretty fucking good back in the old days. His current designs however...
Except I am talking current, not back in the day. Like I said my favorite Yamamuro's Goku was the 2010 one.
Which one was it? The one from the OVA Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! , right?
Oh no, I'm not a fan of Goku's skin color in that. He looks sunburn.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The one after the special. And looking at this again, I'm starting to grow on Maeda's Goku. I like that boyish look.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:06 pm

HeroR wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Except I am talking current, not back in the day. Like I said my favorite Yamamuro's Goku was the 2010 one.
Which one was it? The one from the OVA Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! , right?
Oh no, I'm not a fan of Goku's skin color in that. He looks sunburn.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The one after the special. And looking at this again, I'm starting to grow on Maeda's Goku. I like that boyish look.
Oh, I remember now, it's the one from "Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans". I gotta say, I don't dislike it as bad as his modern stuff, but just like what you said before, the stiffness is what I don't like. It looks.. I don't know, generic? Though, I appreciate that it's not full of highlights, or off-center like his other ones
Get Fucked, C_unt

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:10 pm

HeroR wrote:Oh no, I'm not a fan of Goku's skin color in that. He looks sunburn.
Me neither, I actually like Nakatsuru (GT) design, tan Goku is the best Goku,
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:16 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
HeroR wrote:Oh no, I'm not a fan of Goku's skin color in that. He looks sunburn.
Me neither, I actually like Nakatsuru (GT) design, tan Goku is the best Goku,
Good old Mexican Goku
Get Fucked, C_unt

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:26 pm

Amir wrote:What confuses me about this design discussion is the contradiction in some people's opinions.
You say you like a more animation friendly designs and that it can also attract more skilled animators, but at the same time almost every time Shida or Takahashi pop up you go crazy and commend their design, art and details and scream for them to be the character designers.

Shida's and Takahashi's designs are way harder to animate with than Yamamuro's, aren't they? So which do you really want?
Is it really the complex designs that make the animation less animated in MOVIES, when you have a way higher budget and way more time?

I still think Takahashi and Shida's designs are 100x better than the new promo art image of Goku. I think DB should and needs to look like it looked in the past, with nice and detailed designs and great animation at the same time, especially in movies.
Just because I prefer something over another, doesnt mean I cant like/appreciate the other.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:28 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:Good old Mexican Goku
It makes sense assuming Goku trained with Oob where he lives: a place with harsh sunlight

by Doctor.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:30 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
It makes sense assuming Goku trained with Oob where he lives: a place with harsh sunlight
Yeah, that's what I always thought. Though, I wonder why SS4 made his skin tone lightet. Seems like magic pants isn't the only secret power of this transformation.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:44 pm

Personally think the JSAT special designs are the best of modern DB since we don't know what Shintani's actual CD look like, yet.

But how could Yamamuro regress so much in 2 years? Unless someone ghost designed the JSAT special...

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:47 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
paulo89988 wrote:
GTx10 wrote:
You people can't be serious.

-This the first time that I've seen anyone not willing to not see Dragonball improve itself and actually defend mediocrity instead of vouching for something better. You're basically saying, its trash, and I know its trash, but its our trash and should continue like trash.

-The CGI in ROF is indefensibly bad especially when compared to the CGI use of in something like One Piece Films: Z, which was actually able to effectively incorporate CGI into the fights without turning Goku and Freeza into distracting video game characters.

- Ok, imagine these, two scenes, here.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
These are without a doubt the best scenes from ROF and together they last a little less than 2 minutes. Now imagine instead of looking that good for two minutes, the entire movie looked that good, pretty much non-stop all the time. If you do that, you'll have something comparable to the quality of the latest One Piece films. Why shouldn't Dragonball aspire for that kind of quality?

-I'm not saying DB should look like One Piece, I'm saying DB should look good by at the very least technical, something it currently really isn't. What's the point in having a distinctive look if all it does is harm the franchise visually, and turn away big names from working on the franchise.

In terms of production, Dragonball has been a joke ever since it returned with BOG. We had one mediocre looking film in BOG, one bad looking film in ROF, and a series that had visually became the punchline of the industry in Super. I have no idea why anyone could think that the current state of Dragonball visually is even remotely acceptable.

You say DB the new DB movie will sell vastly more than the OP movie, meaning it will be more directly available and in the spotlight, yet you inconceivably don't want DB to be a high a quality product as possible. Why? Why don't you want DB to be as well animated as it possibly can be? Why do you deny that ROF and BOG weren't that special in comparison to any of the last 3 One Piece films and more bafflingly why don't you want to accept that level of quality from the new DB film?

This is some really mental gymnastics right here.

I don't mean to come off as offensive, but I'm genuinely baffled and ticked off, I can't believe any Dragonball fan would willingly want Dragonball to be worse when it could be better.

I am. To me BoG and F (Movie versions) looked good. Refer to the examples I gave in my previous post. I had problems with F's abrupt ending not its animation. Yes Super has had awful art which were fixed with the home media releases. (Dragon Ball Z suffered from "bad art" as well mind you) Dragon Ball Super and BoG and F are not trash to me, they are fun adventures involving characters I like a lot. To me it looks good and should stay the course, although if the show pulled out some Dragon Ball Heroes TV aids type quality I might bust a load... I digress. Your videos did not show so I have nothing to compare it with.
The CGI in F was fine and didn't last long enough to do damage, the only flaw being SSB Goku's death blow Kamehameha to FF Freeza. (That face, yikes) I think the animators are doing their best with what they have and that is all I ask. Would it be nice if Super always looked like SSG Goku VS Kelfa and the original Z movies? Yes. Would I like to see the show always look like that? Yes.
But it can't and it won't and what is pumped out is passable and I am a happy fan. Maybe One Piece has to bust out the "better quality" because it is basically living in Dragon Ball's shadow? I mean no matter what DB sells baby, which is something OP will never have. Maybe this is a case of One Piece yelling "look at me! Look at me I'm all pretty and whoosh, whoosh." While Dragon Ball is like "Bit@h please, you all still watched me when Beerus had Ditto face. I own you."
(AND the Beerus ditto face got fixed!)
Maybe you guys are expecting to much from Dragon Ball because of a myriad of reasons? Edit: Also none of you have yet to give me examples of Yamamuro's art not translating well into action scenes. Because his work looks like typical Dragon Ball Z stuff.

Basically it boils down to "I'm okay with Super's animation."
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:56 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Personally think the JSAT special designs are the best of modern DB since we don't know what Shintani's actual CD look like, yet.

But how could Yamamuro regress so much in 2 years? Unless someone ghost designed the JSAT special...
I don't think he regress at all. I think even Ajay said that Yamamuro in general got better.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:06 pm

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Personally think the JSAT special designs are the best of modern DB since we don't know what Shintani's actual CD look like, yet.

I don't think he regress at all. I think even Ajay said that Yamamuro in general got better.
I meant from the 2008 to 2010 designs.

But his design work in terms of the non Saiyans definitely has improved over DBS' run.

As for his corrections that too in the sense of letting the animators still have their voices. But he still has those annoying traits like his noses. His key animation at best is just okay.

The thing with Yamamuro is I think frustration. One week he produces a good SB the next it's sloppy as all hell for example.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:36 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Yeah, that's what I always thought. Though, I wonder why SS4 made his skin tone lightet. Seems like magic pants isn't the only secret power of this transformation.
All of Goku's transformations make his skin tone lighter, not just SS4. Same thing happens to Kale. Her tan skin turns pale when she goes Super Saiyan.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:19 pm

ROF is not a bad looking film. It's just average quality for a movie. Other than the terrible CG scenes, everything looked fine with a couple of highlights.

Saying it's bad looking though is laughable

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:45 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:All of Goku's transformations make his skin tone lighter, not just SS4. Same thing happens to Kale. Her tan skin turns pale when she goes Super Saiyan.
I think that's the standard of all Super Saiyan transformations.

by Doctor.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:16 pm

Cursemark505 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Cursemark505 wrote: Goku is supposed to look young.
To be honest, Goku isn't really a young person. He is close to his early to late 40s.
Ignoring the fact that Goku was dead for a while, Saiyans do not age like humans do. He is not supposed to look like a 40 yr old human.
I don't mind him looking older but the overall design is not good.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Amir wrote:ROF is not a bad looking film. It's just average quality for a movie. Other than the terrible CG scenes, everything looked fine with a couple of highlights.

Saying it's bad looking though is laughable
Well, considering that they're episodes of One Piece that are better animated than ROF, and considering how poorly it compares to other modern productions, I think calling ROF a bad looking film is justifiable.

Its not attrocious in the sense its unwatchable(though some people would probably say it is), but considering what we know Toei can produce, it is pretty abysmal, especially for a film.
GTx10 wrote: I am. To me BoG and F (Movie versions) looked good. Refer to the examples I gave in my previous post. I had problems with F's abrupt ending not its animation. Yes Super has had awful art which were fixed with the home media releases. (Dragon Ball Z suffered from "bad art" as well mind you) Dragon Ball Super and BoG and F are not trash to me, they are fun adventures involving characters I like a lot. To me it looks good and should stay the course, although if the show pulled out some Dragon Ball Heroes TV aids type quality I might bust a load... I digress. Your videos did not show so I have nothing to compare it with.
The CGI in F was fine and didn't last long enough to do damage, the only flaw being SSB Goku's death blow Kamehameha to FF Freeza. (That face, yikes) I think the animators are doing their best with what they have and that is all I ask. Would it be nice if Super always looked like SSG Goku VS Kelfa and the original Z movies? Yes. Would I like to see the show always look like that? Yes.
But it can't and it won't and what is pumped out is passable and I am a happy fan. Maybe One Piece has to bust out the "better quality" because it is basically living in Dragon Ball's shadow? I mean no matter what DB sells baby, which is something OP will never have. Maybe this is a case of One Piece yelling "look at me! Look at me I'm all pretty and whoosh, whoosh." While Dragon Ball is like "Bit@h please, you all still watched me when Beerus had Ditto face. I own you."
(AND the Beerus ditto face got fixed!)
Maybe you guys are expecting to much from Dragon Ball because of a myriad of reasons? Edit: Also none of you have yet to give me examples of Yamamuro's art not translating well into action scenes. Because his work looks like typical Dragon Ball Z stuff.

Basically it boils down to "I'm okay with Super's animation."
Yes, I did refer to those scenes, and I'm saying to you, that while those scenes were nice, they were also short lived, with them barely making up 2 minutes of the movies run timee. Imagine an entire movie animated as nicely as that? If you can do that, you get something similar to the recent quality of One Piece films.
I'm not referring to content right now, I'm referring to specifically the recent DB movies and how they hold up, or don't hold up visually.

I understand, that to you it looks good, what I don't understand is why you wouldn't want a franchise you love to look the best it possibly could(also, I don't understand what you mean by DB Heroes ads, from what I've seen of them, they're awful).
For reference, I was linking the best scenes from ROF, namely the beat down scene, and a great bit by Koudai Watanbe during the Base Goku fight.

The CGI in ROF was attrocious, it made up nearly half the action of the Blue Goku vs Freeza fight. How is that not much?

Since I'm referring to the movies, I'm going to discount mentions of Super and simply focus on the films.

We know for a fact, that the animators that worked on ROF and BOG could and have done far better work than what was shown there. Why wouldn't you want to see these animator really go all out. Why would you be fine with them producing mediocrity.

Also, I find your suggestions about One Piece kind of comical. One Piece is the best selling manga on the planet, do you honestly think that One Piece doesn't sell?

One Piece looks good, because they've bothered to give the property the respect it deserves, and have allowed the massive talent working on the series to produce the best work for the movies that they possibly can.

Dragonball on the other hand, is living in the past visually, due to things like bad character designs, and poor directing, animators ability to produce there best work has been almost intentionally hindered. Not that this argument around it being more popular and thus doesn't need to try makes sense anyway, because it still doesn't give a good excuse for why the hell your willing to accept mediocrity when deliver so much better. Wouldn't that argument be more reason to make the DB films as good as possible? So that the franchise recieves the proper respect and production it deserves on the big screen? Why would you want any less.

Also, here are two examples for me of Yamamuro's designs not translating particularly well to movement. They are both well animated, but the designs do seem to be hindering the movement more in these scenes than helping it. I do think they are probably better examples out there, but these are the ones that I personally noticed.

Let me clarify something, I want Dragonball to be the best visually it could possibly be(if does recieve a long-running show, I don't expect One Punch man animation for reference, I expect it to be good for a long running show), espicially when it comes down to the movies, because Dragonball is an absolutely massively known and respected property, it deserves the best visuals it can get. Thankfully, the new movie appears to me like it might be able to fulfil this idea. The director is respected and creative, and also has good ties in the industry. The art director is also well known, so that should be fantastic. The animation director is a young up and coming talent, that also has connections to other big animators in the industry and his loose take on DB has drawn a fair bit of attention from other animators, so I definitely expect the star power. If everything goes well, I visually expect a movie that could easily put BOG and ROF to shame and hold its head up with the recent One Piece films in terms of quality.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:29 pm

I was expecting ep 66 levels of quality here, but good God, this shit blew my mind. It's crazy how impressive this was.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:32 pm

I'm lost for words. What a cracker Episode 130 was. Everything I wanted it to be for direction, animation, writing and storyboarding aspect and more so much more.

AWESOME.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:35 pm

What a beautiful episode 130 was. Good lord, Shida...incredible! The colors were spectacular and i loved the surprise twist at the end haha.

Our last episode of the series looks good from the NEP as well!
Last edited by DainIronfoot on Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.