Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:41 am

PMD wrote:Let me say, I wasn't too impressed with Onishi's cut. It wasn't near half as good as his SSJ Goku vs Beerus cut.
Nah. Onishi's cut in EP 109 was far superior compared to his work in EP 14. The art was more refined, the direction more ambitious, storyboard was far better and the animation was just better.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:28 pm

So Toei have basically cordoned down on people involved on DBS looks like. Toshio has gone super quiet lately and now Shida said he can't talk about anything related to his work. Shame, was really hoping he'd tweet some genga out! Oh well it's probably for the better given some horrible tweets fans send these guys, like for real? Were do people get off acting like that? Appalling really.

Think people expected him to come do a 30 sec fluid cut and then leave but I think it was refreshing we got, that was some fantastic art and stills at the end.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So Toei have basically cordoned down on people involved on DBS looks like. Toshio has gone super quiet lately and now Shida said he can't talk about anything related to his work. Shame, was really hoping he'd tweet some genga out! Oh well it's probably for the better given some horrible tweets fans send these guys, like for real? Were do people get off acting like that? Appalling really.
It's the best approach, because some people don't realize when they are being bothersome. I'm just impressed how well educated the staff's responses have been despite everything.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So Toei have basically cordoned down on people involved on DBS looks like. Toshio has gone super quiet lately and now Shida said he can't talk about anything related to his work. Shame, was really hoping he'd tweet some genga out! Oh well it's probably for the better given some horrible tweets fans send these guys, like for real? Were do people get off acting like that? Appalling really.

Think people expected him to come do a 30 sec fluid cut and then leave but I think it was refreshing we got, that was some fantastic art and stills at the end.
His Jiren was fantastic. His Freeza was my favorite Freeza shot ever.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:00 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
PMD wrote:Let me say, I wasn't too impressed with Onishi's cut. It wasn't near half as good as his SSJ Goku vs Beerus cut.
Nah. Onishi's cut in EP 109 was far superior compared to his work in EP 14. The art was more refined, the direction more ambitious, storyboard was far better and the animation was just better.
Agreed, Onishis cut was awesome, the only problem i have with it is that it was wasted on that Ribrianne character i hate so much!!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:46 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
It's the best approach, because some people don't realize when they are being bothersome. I'm just impressed how well educated the staff's responses have been despite everything.
They've handled themselves very well on social media from what I've seen. It's a stark contrast to someone like Dan Slott who is constantly starting shit and insulting people on Twitter.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Especially the guys who tweet at them hoping to get some behind the scenes info on the animation and begging for "genga". I'd get tired of it too if someone kept asking me about my work outside of the office.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:24 am

So what is everyone's top 10 favourite cuts now? (Was gonna ask top 5 but that won't cut it now lol I will link my list with posts on that Sakuga place everyone here seems to links a lot).

My list-

1. Shida- Goku & Trunks vs Goku Black and Zamasu.
2. Shida- Vegetto Blue vs Grotesque Merged Zamasu.
3. Tate- Ultra Instinct Goku vs Pride Troopers of U11.
4. Tate- SSGSS Goku vs Golden Freeza.
5. Takahashi, Tate & Shida- Ultra Instinct Goku vs Jiren.
6. Onishi- Base Goku vs Ribbriane (sp).
7. Takahashi- Goku vs Jiren staredown.
8. Manabe & Nikaido- SSGSS Goku vs Jiren.
9. Onishi- SS Goku vs Beerus.
10. Takahashi- SS Goku vs Beerus.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:14 pm

it's really amusing to see how this anime has improved over the months, one remembers and compares with earlier episodes and it's day and night

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:17 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So what is everyone's top 10 favourite cuts now? (Was gonna ask top 5 but that won't cut it now lol I will link my list with posts on that Sakuga place everyone here seems to links a lot).

My list-

1. Shida- Goku & Trunks vs Goku Black and Zamasu.
2. Shida- Vegetto Blue vs Grotesque Merged Zamasu.
3. Tate- Ultra Instinct Goku vs Pride Troopers of U11.
4. Tate- SSGSS Goku vs Golden Freeza.
5. Takahashi, Tate & Shida- Ultra Instinct Goku vs Jiren.
6. Onishi- Base Goku vs Ribbriane (sp).
7. Takahashi- Goku vs Jiren staredown.
8. Manabe & Nikaido- SSGSS Goku vs Jiren.
9. Onishi- SS Goku vs Beerus.
10. Takahashi- SS Goku vs Beerus.
My top 10 would be similar to yours. I would put Tate's SS Goku vs 17 cut at number 8 and then take out Takahashi's SS Goku vs Beerus.
cuartas wrote:it's really amusing to see how this anime has improved over the months, one remembers and compares with earlier episodes and it's day and night
The show has improved dramatically. While watching previous episodes through the English dub, it's really amazing to see just how much better the show has gotten in terms of its animation. The fights from the Champa arc don't really look that good compared to what we're seeing now.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:18 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: The show has improved dramatically. While watching previous episodes through the English dub, it's really amazing to see just how much better the show has gotten in terms of its animation. The fights from the Champa arc don't really look that good compared to what we're seeing now.
And already in the Champa arc, especially in that fight against Botamo, everybody was excited because the animation "improved a lot".. When you think about it, it's impressive how far the show has come in terms of animation. Every single arc just supersedes the last.

The Zamasu arc had the 2 best cuts, both from Shida, but i have a feeling that we will get something better then that soon enough. But i like the consistency of this arc.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks for the video Ajay, had a lot of fun listening to it.
Indeed the show was nothing like before, its scary different (in a good way)

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:19 am

Hit!! wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: The show has improved dramatically. While watching previous episodes through the English dub, it's really amazing to see just how much better the show has gotten in terms of its animation. The fights from the Champa arc don't really look that good compared to what we're seeing now.
And already in the Champa arc, especially in that fight against Botamo, everybody was excited because the animation "improved a lot".. When you think about it, it's impressive how far the show has come in terms of animation. Every single arc just supersedes the last.

The Zamasu arc had the 2 best cuts, both from Shida, but i have a feeling that we will get something better then that soon enough. But i like the consistency of this arc.
You could arguably say that we've gotten cuts better than at least one of those Shida scenes in this current arc.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:06 am

Just out of curiosity, what's considered the best looking fight in Dragon Ball Z?

There's been quite a few good shots in Super now like what Baggie Saiyan mentioned above, plus the Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta vs Goku Black one too when he gave him a pounding.

Off the top of my head I don't recall Dragon Ball Z having anything as significant or as numerous as some of these.

I'm going through Dragon Ball Z at the moment and probably the main one that's stuck out is the Goku Kaioken X3 vs Vegeta cut so far.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:10 am

Bullza wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's considered the best looking fight in Dragon Ball Z?

There's been quite a few good shots in Super now like what Baggie Saiyan mentioned above, plus the Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta vs Goku Black one too when he gave him a pounding.

Off the top of my head I don't recall Dragon Ball Z having anything as significant or as numerous as some of these.

I'm going through Dragon Ball Z at the moment and probably the main one that's stuck out is the Goku Kaioken X3 vs Vegeta cut so far.
Majin Vegeta vs. Goku has great cuts along with Super Saiyan 2 Goku vs. Kid Buu. The same with Super Saiyan 3 vs. Kid Buu.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:27 am

HeroR wrote:
Bullza wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's considered the best looking fight in Dragon Ball Z?

Majin Vegeta vs. Goku has great cuts along with Super Saiyan 2 Goku vs. Kid Buu. The same with Super Saiyan 3 vs. Kid Buu.
You can add the Cell V Goku one as well.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:08 am

There are some great ones in OG DB as well, like Goku vs Tenshinhan (both), Goku vs Kuririn, Goku vs Majunior, and Goku vs Grandpa Gohan. There's probably more, but I can't remember what scenes were well animated that well.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:26 am

SansrivaaL wrote: You can add the Cell V Goku one as well.
I also think the beam struggle between Goku vs. Vegeta was good, although I don't know if I would classified it as great.

From the original Dragon Ball, I remember Goku vs. King Piccolo has some good stuff.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:39 am

You could arguably say that we've gotten cuts better than at least one of those Shida scenes in this current arc.
You mean better than the ep57 and 66 cuts? I wouldn't be so sure, but better than Shida's cuts in this arc.

The best long cut in this arc was from Tate in episode 110 imo, but even that is not quite as good as Shida's episode 66 cut or 57. I'll use episode 66 this time.
Tate's movements were awesome and the way he animated Goku's body languge was unique and skilled - second to none. Shida's movements were just as good in episode 66, like when Zamasu got up in that insane way (which was also a great way to show Zamasu's insane mental crisis), the hand to hand combat with Zamasu was flawless because it had smooth movements, great poses and fast pacing, the choreography was a bit better since we got that awesome combat moves like Zamasu's spin kick which was animated beautifully, except that one scene when Vegito kicked Zamasu multiple times which was a somewhat notable issue cause the kicks lacked power and weight, it was basically too smooth and the kicks flowed into each other too well which even that can be a problem sometimes.
Back to Tate, amazing smooth and skilled movements, everything from Goku taking a step back, the way the animation was executed to fit Goku's new ultra instinct state, (which was perfect and well suited), slow motions scenes, from slow motion to fast motion transitions, power behind attacks, fast pacing especially with the repeated frames and overall it was amazing.
The reason I think Shida's cut was better is because the effects were way better, eye candy I daresay. The smoke and its shading looked more realistic, detailed and the shape was better, while Tate's smoke effects look a bit weird because of the shading and lack of detail... overall it's just bland in comparison to Shida's. Shida's energy and debris effects also were much better, though I give Tate credit for finally using the right glow effects for the Justice Flash attack. Tate's effects were alright, but not great like Shida's.
Art was also much better even though for this was Tate's best episode even in terms of art, but the shading wasn't good at all especially on Goku's face and arms and Shida had the shading much better + much more details.

So, to sum it up:
Shida in EP66 VS Tate in EP110

Character Movements: Shida =< Tate - both were equally skilled, smooth, flowed well, eased well and the poses were great. Tate gets a slight edge because the body language and movements suited the concept of ultra instinct perfectly and it was amazing to watch.
Conservativity: Shida = Tate - both cuts had repeated frames, still images and super close-ups more or less just as much, they looked cool though
Length: Shida = Tate - same if you remove still shots and dialouge in the cuts
Pacing: Shida = Tate - perfect
Effects: Shida >>>Tate - no contest
Art: Shida >>>> no contest even though Tate's art was really good

Notable Flaws:
Shida: 1 - there was a scene where Vegito combo kicked Zamasu and the hits barely had weight to them and lacked in power, though it was fixed in the Blu ray at least for me.
Tate: 0

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:59 pm

For me, goku vs cell and goku ssj2 vs kid buu, both done by masunaga