Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:54 pm

Ajay wrote:The new green sky is... a thing. I don't really know how I feel about it yet, but my initial impression isn't massively positive. I'll have to save my final impressions for an episode that isn't so dull.
I can't say I was fond of the green sky in this episode myself. It makes the whole place look sickly and washes out some of the other colors.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:12 pm

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Animation was really good, some good combat animation, the parts when Jiren counter Hit's time skip were awesome. Art was sometimes off model, but nothing badly drawn and overall good episode.
The animation was actually pretty good. Everything was smooth and fluid with good pacing. Better than 80% of Super. Comparing it to 67 is unacceptable for me. Better looking episode than 86, 79 and on par with 80.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:20 pm

I thought the animation in the first half was nice and the direction was pretty good overall.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:52 pm

Amir wrote:Better looking episode than 86, 79

You better run now, because saying insane stuff like that is gonna get people on your ass lol.

Seriously though, I think that's an utterly ridiculous thing to say, and I dare say it's just objectively incorrect.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:56 pm

I'll just say it: That UGLY ASS green tint they added at the end looks HORRIBLE. I sincerely hope that isn't going to be around for very long. That is just distractingly ugly. It just makes everything slightly less appealing to look at. Don't do BRIGHT DIARRHEA GREEN as a permanent atmospheric effect ffs.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:57 pm

What an unsightly tease that Zamasu-green sky is.
Ah well, at least this way I won't be left wondering about it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:02 pm

The green sky in the half time is a weird choice, but nothing really impressive in this episode.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:14 pm

Artorias wrote:

You better run now, because saying insane stuff like that is gonna get people on your ass lol.

Seriously though, I think that's an utterly ridiculous thing to say, and I dare say it's just objectively incorrect.
Objectively incorrect and you don't even explain why. Smooth and fluid animation, well animated combat moves and flashy kicks, good pacing and transitions. Every scene when Hit used time skip to come behind Jiren was done so well. EP86 has nothing on this. Through out this entire episode there was a constant smooth motion, even little parts like Jiren jumping on some rocks near the end. The only sub-par parts go to Vegeta vs those 2 whores, it had some wonky art but nothing bad.

Not to mention how good the dust and smoke effects looked. I think we are watching different episodes.
Last edited by Amir on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:19 pm

Amir wrote:
Artorias wrote:

Why? Smooth and fluid animation, well animated combat moves and flashy kicks, good pacing and transitions. Every scene when Hit used time skip to come behind Jiren was done well. EP86 has nothing on this. Through out this entire episode there was a constant smooth motion, even little parts like Jiren jumps on some rocks near the end. The only sub par parts go to Vegeta vs those 2 whores, it had some wonky art but nothing bad.

Not to mention how good the dust and smoke effects looked.
I don't know what episode you watched, because that shit was not even close to "fluid". Some of the stiffest animation in this tournament so far for the most part.

86 was some of the best animation of the show. This? Barely even note worthy with a few exceptions here and there.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:26 pm

-Episode 111-

Hit vs Jiren was cool, but this fight deserved something more impactful.

The biggest victory in this episode is how everything still looks good after the insane Special we got, unlike what happened in FT Trunks arc with episode 67 first part.

Hyped for next week! Episode 37 is still something memorable to me and Toshio is about to go at it again, this time with Shida doing the storyboard.
I'm curious to see if Shida will animate something like he did in episode 95 too.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:28 pm

Artorias wrote:
Amir wrote:
Artorias wrote:

Why? Smooth and fluid animation, well animated combat moves and flashy kicks, good pacing and transitions. Every scene when Hit used time skip to come behind Jiren was done well. EP86 has nothing on this. Through out this entire episode there was a constant smooth motion, even little parts like Jiren jumps on some rocks near the end. The only sub par parts go to Vegeta vs those 2 whores, it had some wonky art but nothing bad.

I don't know what episode you watched, because that shit was not even close to "fluid". Some of the stiffest animation in this tournament so far for the most part.

86 was some of the best animation of the show. This? Barely even note worthy with a few exceptions here and there.
EP86 wasn't that good imo. It didn't have good effects, complex movements and good art. This episode was way better than 86. I have no idea why you say it was stiff. Stiffness is like that Shimanuki run in episode 105 when they barely moved their limbs at all and looked...well....stiff. The movements were fluid and didn't feel choppy, mainly because of the high fps, great poses and enough frames in every combat move. In this episode nothing was stiff. Everything was moving smoothly. Can you post an example from the ep so I can see what you're talking about?

Just look at that scene when Hit tries to attak Jiren and Jiren counters it with some awesome dodging and geat looking kicks. It was so amazing.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:40 pm

Amir wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Amir wrote: Why? Smooth and fluid animation, well animated combat moves and flashy kicks, good pacing and transitions. Every scene when Hit used time skip to come behind Jiren was done well. EP86 has nothing on this. Through out this entire episode there was a constant smooth motion, even little parts like Jiren jumps on some rocks near the end. The only sub par parts go to Vegeta vs those 2 whores, it had some wonky art but nothing bad.

EP86 wasn't that good imo. It didn't have good effects, complex movements and good art. This episode was way better than 86. I have no idea why you say it was stiff. Stiffness is like that Shimanuki run in episode 105 when they barely moved their limbs at all and looked...well....stiff. The movements were fluid and didn't feel choppy, mainly because of the high fps, great poses and enough frames in every combat move. In this episode nothing was stiff. Everything was moving smoothly. Can you post an example from the ep so I can see what you're talking about?

Just look at that scene when Hit tries to attak Jiren and Jiren counters it with some awesome dodging and geat looking kicks. It was so amazing.
I second this, this episode looked absolutely beautiful, and it was well animated.
Definitely the bar is pretty higher than before to say this episode was "shit", I'd be pleased to have these episodes when yashima or even tate are the directors (but to be fair, last yashima episode looked good but just because he was absent 95% of the shots), not to mention this is far better than the first episodes when the ToP commenced

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:44 pm

cuartas wrote:
Amir wrote:
Artorias wrote:

I second this, this episode looked absolutely beautiful, and it was well animated.
Definitely the bar is pretty higher than before to say this episode was "shit", I'd be pleased to have these episodes when yashima or even tate are the directors (but to be fair, last yashima episode looked good but just because he was absent 95% of the shots), not to mention this is far better than the first episodes when the ToP commenced
lol I thought I was getting delusional. After watching it again it looks even better. The art was solid 80% of the ep, a fair amount of detail and everything. This ep had many quality animation moments.

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:15 am

I honestly like the green sky. Looks cool.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:22 am

Yeah I kinda like the green sky as well. I want to see how action would look in this kind of scenery.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:18 am

I fucking can't with the glare on Jiren's eyes, they look like cross-eyed pupils.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:40 am

Wait... those two guys liking this "fluid" episode don't like Tate? lmao. I saw it coming from a mile. What is wrong with Tate haters, for real. :lol:

It was a pretty "meh" episode in terms of animation, considering the huge fight I was waiting for. It was serviceable, but not even close to the most decent episodes of this tournament.

I don't like the new green sky either. It washes a lot of good colours.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:02 am

Does anyone know who directed/storyboarded that scene in 110 where Belmod is speaking telepathically to Jiren. Sends shivers down your spine.

And if anyone DOES know, what other scenes have they done?

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:27 am

Tate's cuts last week had some of the best aniamtion in this series. I don't hate him.
Also the fact that you guys think this episode is not one of the best in this arc triggers me. But I guess that's your opinion.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:35 am

I liked the art in this episode, I didn't notice bad looking drawings. As for the animation, it was nothing outstanding but I enjoyed Hit vs Jiren.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical