Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:50 am

JazzMazz wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:Image

This was all the Toei staff needed to do, quick and sufficient.
The way they handled his latest ultimate power up was BAD
It was fine, in some respects I actually preferred it to the clip you showed due to how much more expressive it was and how well Tate's understanding movement gave weight to Gohan's power-up.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Now that I've seen it again, It isn't as bad as what i made it out to be. The end result was poor though, I don't like how the bang is so short lol

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:57 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:Image

This was all the Toei staff needed to do, quick and sufficient.
The way they handled his latest ultimate power up was BAD
It was fine, in some respects I actually preferred it to the clip you showed due to how much more expressive it was and how well Tate's understanding movement gave weight to Gohan's power-up.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Now that I've seen it again, It isn't as bad as what i made it out to be. The end result was poor though, I don't like how the bang is so short lol
It really wasn't poor at all. It was completely fine.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:38 am

Nasryyy wrote:
Amir wrote:Higashide and Tate saved the episode.
why would you say that , i know they did the best stuff on the episode but it's not like this tournament production is falling apart and we have not had any bad looking episode in this tournament, everything is going so smooth and pretty good since this tournament started and it will continue to look even better
Let me correct myself, I didn't mean that other than those two the episode was bad, it was serviceable with good art, but Tate and Higashide made things stand out more that it's made it quite memorable to me.
What I said was a total misuse of words. Sorry.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:43 am

I kinda was underhwhelmed to be honest, nice art but everything just looked standard not spectacular. Definitely a step down from last weeks episodes which is disappointing to say for a co Tate supervised episode. Hopefully he can go all out when he rotates back in to hopefully the climax or near.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:04 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I kinda was underhwhelmed to be honest, nice art but everything just looked standard not spectacular. Definitely a step down from last weeks episodes which is disappointing to say for a co Tate supervised episode. Hopefully he can go all out when he rotates back in to hopefully the climax or near.
Really? Though I thought the direction was weaker this episode, the animation in Tate's half easily outstripped anything we had seen of the tournament thus far.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:19 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I kinda was underhwhelmed to be honest, nice art but everything just looked standard not spectacular. Definitely a step down from last weeks episodes which is disappointing to say for a co Tate supervised episode. Hopefully he can go all out when he rotates back in to hopefully the climax or near.
Really? Though I thought the direction was weaker this episode, the animation in Tate's half easily outstripped anything we had seen of the tournament thus far.
Hmm looking at the cuts you posted previous page definitely better then what I remembered but I only just watched the episode a few hours ago though! Haha weird. Perhaps I need to stop watching episodes on my phone but the Daisuki app is kinda glitched out no ads..!

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:22 am

JazzMazz wrote:
I wouldn't say outstripped anything we had seen in this tournament, but yeah it was pretty great.
Could someone tell me who animated that Kamehameha at the end?

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:28 am

Completely missed this the first time I watched the episode:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Sooo good.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:48 am

I just don't understand the overwhelming hatred toward the animation in this and the last few eps. Even on other places like reddit, neogaf, or various anime or videogame forums where they have Super discussion threads going, everyone is talking about the tournament like it has terrible animation.

I mean...what on earth? Of course there's going to be some not so great looking shots and some re-used animation, what did people expect? But people talking like the tournament looks awful, or like the earlier eps of Super or even the Champa tournament. WTF.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:02 am

precita wrote:I just don't understand the overwhelming hatred toward the animation in this and the last few eps. Even on other places like reddit, neogaf, or various anime or videogame forums where they have Super discussion threads going, everyone is talking about the tournament like it has terrible animation.

I mean...what on earth? Of course there's going to be some not so great looking shots and some re-used animation, what did people expect? But people talking like the tournament looks awful, or like the earlier eps of Super or even the Champa tournament. WTF.
I've seen people say that this episode was under-animated. My advice would be to stop listening to people with no interesting in-put to offer. I'm not saying don't engage with people with varying or differing opinions, I'm saying simply ignore people that have nothing to add to the conversation. They simply aren't worth talking to.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:49 am

precita wrote:Well the beginning of the ep was just a continuation of last weeks, so it was probably in production at the same time and just overlapped into this episode.
Yeah, the first 1/4 of the episode (Goku and 17 vs U2 fighters) felt very seperate from the rest of the episode imo. Art and animation wise as well.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:24 pm

precita wrote:I just don't understand the overwhelming hatred toward the animation in this and the last few eps. Even on other places like reddit, neogaf, or various anime or videogame forums where they have Super discussion threads going, everyone is talking about the tournament like it has terrible animation.

It's because this episode and the last had a lot of very noticeable reuse of animation. Once people start seeing that (especially last episode oh my fuck that was bad) then that's the only thing imprinted on to them in terms of how the animation quality is. Once the average viewer starts seeing it two episodes in a row (but this one was a lot better) then they get even more annoyed at the animation.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:31 pm

I've not seen any overwhelming hate, are you sure the negative posts just aren't sticking out to you more than the positive or the posts that don't bring it up at all?
I'm seeing the typical Tate hate, but that's about it.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:58 pm

I just noticed he inverted gohan in those inbetween frames

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Kinda curious :lol: :lol:

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:13 pm

cuartas wrote:I just noticed he inverted gohan in those inbetween frames

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Kinda curious :lol: :lol:
He didn't inverted gohan, It's just the shots that are very similar
kill me

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:31 pm

I really liked how Tate's Kamehameha looked, very erratic.
Tate did a great job here despite having 8 weeks since his last episode and doing work on 99. Hopefully he doesn't do any animation on any of the episodes between this one and his next and gets 9 or 10 weeks, he'd probably be able to put out an amazingly animated episode that also has really polished art. Hopefully the break coming up between 106 and 107 at least pushes the time between his episodes to 9 weeks.
Either way, I'm glad that supervisors are getting an average of 8 weeks between episodes now, hopefully with the staff filling out that can be bumped up a bit more by arc's end. Maybe an average of 9 weeks by arc's end and 10-11 weeks at the start of the next arc, assuming this arc doesn't lead directly into the next.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:41 pm

From Ken Otsuka's exclusive Comiket book - here are a collection of his key frames from his work on Super #66:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:49 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I really liked how Tate's Kamehameha looked, very erratic.
Tate did a great job here despite having 8 weeks since his last episode and doing work on 99. Hopefully he doesn't do any animation on any of the episodes between this one and his next and gets 9 or 10 weeks, he'd probably be able to put out an amazingly animated episode that also has really polished art. Hopefully the break coming up between 106 and 107 at least pushes the time between his episodes to 9 weeks.
Either way, I'm glad that supervisors are getting an average of 8 weeks between episodes now, hopefully with the staff filling out that can be bumped up a bit more by arc's end. Maybe an average of 9 weeks by arc's end and 10-11 weeks at the start of the next arc, assuming this arc doesn't lead directly into the next.
This arc might actually lead into the next, because I can't see them using the kids filler during the climax. They are probably saving the fillers for later, I don't think there will be a time-skip so we will at the very least have an arc which is straight after this one.

As for Yamcha's VA, I'm fairly sure he did voice work for FighterZ when he said he was very tired from voicing Yamcha.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:59 pm

Ajay wrote:From Ken Otsuka's exclusive Comiket book - here are a collection of his key frames from his work on Super #66:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Sexy. Fingers crossed he's working on another Super episode right now.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:48 pm

- Episode 103-

Ok episode.

Gohan punching Botamo and Botamo's body reaction to it looks so much better than when Goku did it in episode 33. We've came a long way folks!
Tate had so much time, but he didn't deliver it. I like the actions scenes but they are nothing memorable. His art doesn't do nothing for me in some shots either.

I was wondering if they would reuse the animation when Daishinkan announces a Universe will be erased and both Zenos do it. Looks like they will.

The fanbase is still as cancerous as ever outside here. Every time Tate goes rough they say the episode is as bad as episode 5 or Goku vs Freeza in ROF arc.
I also hate his rough style but ignore the good parts and say the entire episode is trash is as stupid as saying an entire episode/movie sucked because of power levels.

They also call lazy to animators often like these people aren't giving their best to improve the show despite their conditions. When we got episode 104 leak they started saying SSG Goku aura looked like that because of laziness and budget. I wonder how they feel now after seeing the finished version in the NEP. :roll:

-NEP-

Toshio + SSG Goku/Hit combo. Just come up with a proper explanation for SSG return and I'm so in. Toshio is my favourite writer, so I will trust him even though it's risky because it doesn't make any sense to me. Let's gamble. :P

But as always I guess some people can't wait and they are already criticizing him on his twitter by saying episode 104 has bad writing and he ruined Hit, because HIt should be "badass" forever. This fanbase hardly can get any lower than this. If it wasn't for this forum, I would probably not discuss anything about this franchise with anyone expect with my friends.

SSG Goku never looked better. Just like always, the new filter does wonders.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.