Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 93

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:25 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Also, I'm not sure why everyone was shocked to see Shida drawing cuts for yesterday's episode. If Shida was assigned to storyboard an episode, he will almost certainly key animate, if his time permits. His position as a top-tier key animator with a seniority status allows him to do whatever he wants. If he asks a series director, he gets it.
Actually, the opposite is true. If an animator is storyboarding an episode, he will most likely not be animating on the episode. That's the norm -- for Shida, for anyone, except the odd solo superstar.

You have a very bad habit of coming across like you knew something all along after it's been revealed. Careful with that. It can rub people the wrong way.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:34 pm

This was one of the best looking episodes of the series, by far.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Shida says that he thinks he'll animate somewhere in the tournament. After his last cheeky response about working on Dragon Ball I feel like that's basically confirmation that he is in fact working on the tournament.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:57 pm

Ajay wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Also, I'm not sure why everyone was shocked to see Shida drawing cuts for yesterday's episode. If Shida was assigned to storyboard an episode, he will almost certainly key animate, if his time permits. His position as a top-tier key animator with a seniority status allows him to do whatever he wants. If he asks a series director, he gets it.
Actually, the opposite is true. If an animator is storyboarding an episode, he will most likely not be animating on the episode. That's the norm -- for Shida, for anyone, except the odd solo superstar.
Welps, I seemed to have mixed up a bit about storyboard. My mind slipped up for some reason. You're right-- a key animator who storyboards an episode usually doesn't animate on an episode. When it comes to Shida or any top talent animator, he can create his own storyboard within a storyboard to draw cuts to help better flow with his action skills. My mistake. But my post at the end still stands, though. If Shida was assigned to storyboard an episode and he asks series director Nagamine if he can draw some cuts of his own, the director can grant him his request. That or Nagamine asked him to help key animate an episode. That's why he was able to participate in yesterday's episode.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:16 pm

https://twitter.com/truebard/status/876559428404760576
Shin showing his drawings again, he's amazing if he really doesn't do some key animation in the tournament i will be disappointed

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:43 pm

I think these are Kitano, sorry if I'm wrong. It's nice to know that time can help make his art at least not ugly.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Not the greatest thing in the world, but totally okay.
Though it's funny that he still has a hard time with jaws, it's extremely apparently with his Jiren.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Jiren's jaw should be much, much smaller than that, Kitano really messed it up.

If 8+ weeks becomes the standard for supervisors then maybe we won't have to dread his episodes anymore, assuming his art can keep the quality in the images above throughout the episode.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:58 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I think these are Kitano, sorry if I'm wrong. It's nice to know that time can help make his art at least not ugly.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Not the greatest thing in the world, but totally okay.
Though it's funny that he still has a hard time with jaws, it's extremely apparently with his Jiren.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Jiren's jaw should be much, much smaller than that, Kitano really messed it up.

If 8+ weeks becomes the standard for supervisors then maybe we won't have to dread his episodes anymore, assuming his art can keep the quality in the images above throughout the episode.
And I'm certain that all of Kitano's art was still corrected to hell and back by Ide. :P

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:35 pm

I'm gonna predict that the Battle battle is gonna be amazing From the beginning and end in terms of animation and art,and it will Last for 10 or 6 episode
Mostly active on discord.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:37 pm

ArchedThunder wrote: Though it's funny that he still has a hard time with jaws, it's extremely apparently with his Jiren.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Jiren's expression in there seems like me when someone eats my food. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:03 pm

Okay so my revised top 5 favourite cuts from Super after yesterday:

1) Shida's Goku Black & Zamasu vs Goku and Trunks. No explanation necessary for this.
2) Shida's Vegetto Blue vs Merged Zamasu. 1 minutes long and so good, we got some faced pace action followed with an impressive fist struggle.
3) Tate's Golden Freeza vs SSGSS Goku, such a shame that his best work had come in that arc but hey it something to look forward when watching the dub!
4) Shida's Golden Freeza vs SSGSS Goku, just a concentrated version of his #66 cut ending in some phenomenally drawn art.
5) A tie between Takahashi's Beerus vs SS Goku, a great TV version of Shida's BoG cut. OR Tate's #17 vs Goku- having re-watched the episode the cut didn't blow me away like initially maybe I was initially thrown off by the awesome art direction of the orange skies etc it is still a good cut don't get me wrong but I definitely don't think it his Tate's best.

manya

Post by manya » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:20 pm

This is what some wonder in this forum
https://twitter.com/truebard/status/876598323288866817

It Is probably in my opinion, the production of Tiger Mask maybe is already finished.
Last edited by manya on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:25 pm

manya wrote:This is what some wonder in this forum

It Is probably in mi opinion, the production of Tiger Mask maybe is already finished.
A the very least I think the staff is confident in who they have lined up for the first couple episodes of the tournament, otherwise they would have made sure Shida was working only on that and didn't work on 95.
Whether that means we'll get some Tiger Mask animators or not, we'll just have to wait and see! I do think we'll at least get a few people from that show.
Tiger Mask only has 3 more episodes left, production on the show probably ended already, at least for the vast majority of the staff.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:12 pm

I just want koudai watanabe and yuya takahashi and maybe onishi, please

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:38 pm

Nasryyy wrote:Shida just posted some genga:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That expression looks like something taken from One Piece, not saying as if was a bad thing this time though lol
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:39 pm

Noah wrote:That expression looks like something taken from One Piece
The word you're looking for is "interesting".
Retired.

GeorgeLN

Post by GeorgeLN » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:23 am

I'm really happy, because once again I can say: this episode was incredible!
Tate really was here, and doing the good job ever. But what really caught me by surprise was Shida, maybe it just worked for me, because I did not get to see the images released before the broadcast of the episode, which made it even more satisfying.
In addition to the animation, the writing storyboard and course, the direction were also on the point, Freeza really seemed to be Freeza. It's really like an apology for the RoF saga, I hope you apologize to Frost and Botamo as well.

Something I found interesting, is the way most of the time Golden Freeza really shines like gold, it was beautiful.

Next week looks like we'll have several things going on, but my hype stays for the preview of episode 97.
See ya.

[spoiler]Image
Nothing special, but the post-processing is good.
Ahhhh, Shida.[/spoiler]

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 am

manya wrote:This is what some wonder in this forum

It Is probably in my opinion, the production of Tiger Mask maybe is already finished.
I'm counting on that.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:47 am

Question: When was the last time Higashide got involved in an episode? I feel like its been a while (Though i do want him to take his time, for better animation ofc)

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:59 am

Noah wrote:
Nasryyy wrote:Shida just posted some genga:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That expression looks like something taken from One Piece, not saying as if was a bad thing this time though lol
Weird...

That shot to me looked more DBZ than anything Super has ever done. But then again I'm not an animation and art connoisseur :lol:

riversxv

Post by riversxv » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:02 am

So I have a question not entirely about animation but art direction instead, that un-named promo artist that we've been seeing quite a bit of that has done such amazing work like the Blu Ray cover for part 1 of Supers english dub and I was just wondering if we could ever see them doing any character designs for the show? I would assume all current and past character designers got that role not just because of their character designs but also their ability to animate well and well, we aren't sure if this person can animate well if at all. This is just a question I've had for a while and was wondering people's thoughts on it :D