Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Amir » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:10 pm

cuartas wrote:
Bullza wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's considered the best looking fight in Dragon Ball Z?
For me, goku vs cell and goku ssj2 vs kid buu, both done by masunaga
Goku vs Ginyu and the Ginyu force was also well animated. 17 vs Piccolo had some scenes with great storyboarding and good animation.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:39 am

New 112 preview image courtesy of ArchedThunder: https://twitter.com/ArchedThunder/statu ... 3257119745

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:05 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
Hit!! wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: The show has improved dramatically. While watching previous episodes through the English dub, it's really amazing to see just how much better the show has gotten in terms of its animation. The fights from the Champa arc don't really look that good compared to what we're seeing now.
And already in the Champa arc, especially in that fight against Botamo, everybody was excited because the animation "improved a lot".. When you think about it, it's impressive how far the show has come in terms of animation. Every single arc just supersedes the last.

The Zamasu arc had the 2 best cuts, both from Shida, but i have a feeling that we will get something better then that soon enough. But i like the consistency of this arc.
You could arguably say that we've gotten cuts better than at least one of those Shida scenes in this current arc.
Wow that is a bold statement, but I personally can't see it. The camera work in #57 alone puts it above and beyond anything in this current arc, and while conservative
#66 had fantastic art throughout, we lost their crap over Takahashi's rotation cut in #110 but it was supershort, #66 cut actually had some good animation aswell as the great art and was a minute long. Those two cuts imo are still pretty untouchable.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:09 pm

I don't want to sound polemic or bold but... could we say Nikaido is being the MVP of this tournament so far? His three cuts are really really good. Smooth, consistent, understandable and watchable.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Tate was AMAZING with his 110 monstruous cut, but that's it so far for him in the ToP.
Bullza wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's considered the best looking fight in Dragon Ball Z?
I like Vegeta vs Ginyu by Shida and Goku vs Majin Vegeta.

KameNinja45
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameNinja45 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:24 pm

PMD wrote:I don't want to sound polemic or bold but... could we say Nikaido is being the MVP of this tournament so far? His three cuts are really really good. Smooth, consistent, understandable and watchable.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Tate was AMAZING with his 110 monstruous cut, but that's it so far for him in the ToP.
Don't forget his impressive cuts in 103.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:41 pm

PMD wrote:I don't want to sound polemic or bold but... could we say Nikaido is being the MVP of this tournament so far? His three cuts are really really good. Smooth, consistent, understandable and watchable.
hmmm, I think I agree, this guy has been the higashide of black arc

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:44 pm

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
It should be noted that Kenji Miuma was responsible for the first 13 seconds of the first cut. And Shuuichiro Manabe was all over the third cut as he animated roughly half of it, while also correcting a few shots. The second cut was 100% Nikaido, though. But regardless, yes, Nikaido has really stepped up his game and gotten his chance to shine since the arc has started and has truly delivered.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Takahashi's rotation cut has become one of my favourite pieces of animation in all of Super. The art is ridiculously good.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Hit!! wrote:
And already in the Champa arc, especially in that fight against Botamo, everybody was excited because the animation "improved a lot".. When you think about it, it's impressive how far the show has come in terms of animation. Every single arc just supersedes the last.

The Zamasu arc had the 2 best cuts, both from Shida, but i have a feeling that we will get something better then that soon enough. But i like the consistency of this arc.
You could arguably say that we've gotten cuts better than at least one of those Shida scenes in this current arc.
Wow that is a bold statement, but I personally can't see it. The camera work in #57 alone puts it above and beyond anything in this current arc, and while conservative
#66 had fantastic art throughout, we lost their crap over Takahashi's rotation cut in #110 but it was supershort, #66 cut actually had some good animation aswell as the great art and was a minute long. Those two cuts imo are still pretty untouchable.
I would say that Tates big scene for the special was generally more interesting than Shida's work on #66, which I felt did a worse job at emphasizing the impact of the action in some cuts due to how quickly it went from one massive impact to another with practically no breaks inbetween. I espicially like the last twenty seconds of Tates cut, the barrage at 1:16 onwards is easily one of the most interesting the franchise has produced IMO.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:14 pm

which I felt did a worse job at emphasizing the impact of the action in some cuts due to how quickly it went from one massive impact to another with practically no breaks inbetween.
Which is exactly what makes it an awesome consistent action scene.
I agree it was more interesting, mainly because Tate's style is unique and the way Goku moved was fitting to the ultra instinct concept, but interesting # quality animation.
1:16 has nothing visually impressive, it looks cool but very simple and conservative.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:17 am

JazzMazz wrote: I would say that Tates big scene for the special was generally more interesting than Shida's work on #66, which I felt did a worse job at emphasizing the impact of the action in some cuts due to how quickly it went from one massive impact to another with practically no breaks inbetween. I espicially like the last twenty seconds of Tates cut, the barrage at 1:16 onwards is easily one of the most interesting the franchise has produced IMO.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Was that Shida cut the Blu-Ray version? I don't remember 0:18 being like that.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:32 am

Amir wrote:
which I felt did a worse job at emphasizing the impact of the action in some cuts due to how quickly it went from one massive impact to another with practically no breaks inbetween.
Which is exactly what makes it an awesome consistent action scene.
I agree it was more interesting, mainly because Tate's style is unique and the way Goku moved was fitting to the ultra instinct concept, but interesting # quality animation.
1:16 has nothing visually impressive, it looks cool but very simple and conservative.
My problem with it is that the constant impacts and shaking kind of bleed into each other and dilute other "big" impacts, and instead of emphasizing the the bigger impacts, they instead feel weightless.

And yes that is the blu-ray upload.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:08 am

What time do preview images typically get posted?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:11 am

MaskedRider wrote:What time do preview images typically get posted?
Can be any time between now and the time the episode airs.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:13 am

Anytime now, usually they come before now, but if it's like last week we'll get them in around 50 minutes.

EDIT: Here they are.
https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 9364222978

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:48 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Anytime now, usually they come before now, but if it's like last week we'll get them in around 50 minutes.

EDIT: Here they are.
https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 9364222978
Looks like we'll have some Gohan and Piccolo action against the new (finally) revealed Namekians from U6 and some Goku - Freeza conversation. I wonder how they going to handle 2 fights seemingly going on at once. Unless one of the fights is going to be shorter and therefore make it possible to have 2 consecutive battles in a row. Anyway it seems to be a pretty interesting upcoming episode. Wonder how they'll introduce the namekians for example since we haven't seen them all tournament.

The episode does seem to be somewhat of a step-down compared to last week, but that was sort of a given. I'm honestly already kinda relieved to see that the art looks pretty good and the animation from the preview was pretty good aswell (not like with the 'hangover episode' 67), so in other words, we're back to the norm, although, even though it might be somewhat reverted to the norm, i still feel like these upcoming ones will be much more enjoyable and better storyboarded than the ones before the Goku vs Jiren fight since we're finally done with most of the fodder (and some somewhat uninteresting) characters + these 'better' characters are very likely more fleshed out and provide more depth to them, which could lead to better storyboarding potential. I think the time of 'mediocre' episodes are somewhat over for this arc, or so i hope.

Edit: Realised that the Gohan+Piccolo vs U6 Namekians could also go on in the next episode ofc. So there's that.
How i got into this shit:

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:20 pm

I'm excited for tonight's episode. New faces in the animation department and Jiren vs Hitto will be really amazing, I'm sure.

And now we'll know the U6 Namekians!!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:59 pm

emperior wrote:If the climax of this arc will be better than 110 then it's going to absolutely mind blowing.
Wow, I can't really imagine they doing a better job than the TV Special. It would be too damn good.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:38 pm

Not really much to speak about. A little stiff in some parts but a more than acceptable entry. I noticed they reused the animation from Episode 100 with Jiren taking out SSJ Berserker Kale.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:44 pm

Episode 111

Animation Supervisor
Namatame Yasuhiro
Tanaka Chihiro

Assistant Animation Supervisor
Kusunoki Tomoko
Matsui Kyosuke

Key Animator
Kusunoki Tomoko
Funakoshi Mayumi
Hoshino Reika
Tanaka Chihiro
Hashimoto Kouhei
Abe Sakuya
Yamaoka Sei
Kuma Mirai
Sato Shun
Miyazawa Nao
Teramoto Akira
Matsuo Shunsuke
Sakai Yuki
Ogaki Hiroki
Nakaza Noriyo
Urata Yukihiro
Higashide Futoshi
Gunji Tomokazu
Ooyama Yasuhiko
Hironaka Mika
Motoyoshi Satoru
Saito Reiko
Namatame Yasuhiro

2nd Key Animator
Ichikawa Yoshiyuki
Yokoyama Miyuki
Aizu Satsuki
Saeki Tetsuya
Toei Phils.
Asahi Production

As expected, quite the bit of quality whiplash after such a strong showing last week. It certainly wasn't #67-tier, but it wasn't particularly great, either. Pretty poor showing on both the animation and direction front. Not quite the Hit send-off I'd imagined.

Yukihiro Urata was the top KA for the second half and nothing showed for it. I think that speaks volumes about this one~

The new green sky is... a thing. I don't really know how I feel about it yet, but my initial impression isn't massively positive. I'll have to save my final impressions for an episode that isn't so dull.

Nashizawa's up next week. I'm pretty excited about the narrative content of that episode, so I hope he can deliver the goods. He hasn't really proved himself as an action guy yet, so perhaps it's his time.

EDIT: I notice they fixed Goku's janky run cycle this week - https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/919375559620165632
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.