Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:48 pm

Amir wrote:
cuartas wrote:Am I weird for preferring the yamamuro UI goku design than toriyama's one? it looks so basic to me, not to mention it's just a hair recolor of the SSJG original design
Of course not. Toriyama's designs look absolutely terrible nowdays. I don't think there's anyone on the planet who prefers the Toriyama skinny bland designs over Yamamuro's that at least look a bit like the Buu saga's.

Do people actually prefer that skinny, bland and recolored SSJ God over the Yamamuro one?
I do. Toriyama draws a compact and refined Gokuu. Yamamuro's muscles are stiff and bloated.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:18 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Amir wrote:
cuartas wrote:Am I weird for preferring the yamamuro UI goku design than toriyama's one? it looks so basic to me, not to mention it's just a hair recolor of the SSJG original design
Of course not. Toriyama's designs look absolutely terrible nowdays. I don't think there's anyone on the planet who prefers the Toriyama skinny bland designs over Yamamuro's that at least look a bit like the Buu saga's.

Do people actually prefer that skinny, bland and recolored SSJ God over the Yamamuro one?
I do. Toriyama draws a compact and refined Gokuu. Yamamuro's muscles are stiff and bloated.
Yamamuro's flowy hair is better, but I agree that Goku's muscles are better in Toriyama's version.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Yamamuro's idea to change the hair up was genius. Design work in general he's been doing great this arc, and his clean up on episodes are also pretty good! Sure is promo art etc is still lacking but at least he's doing the important stuff well.

Unfortunately looks like the form will have highlights (present on both desgins), so hopefully they don't look too bad in anime.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:56 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yamamuro's idea to change the hair up was genius. Design work in general he's been doing great this arc, and his clean up on episodes are also pretty good! Sure is promo art etc is still lacking but at least he's doing the important stuff well.

Unfortunately looks like the form will have highlights (present on both desgins), so hopefully they don't look too bad in anime.
I do gotta commend Yamamuro also; he rescued what would've been just yet another recolor by changing up that hair.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yamamuro's idea to change the hair up was genius. Design work in general he's been doing great this arc, and his clean up on episodes are also pretty good! Sure is promo art etc is still lacking but at least he's doing the important stuff well.

I do gotta commend Yamamuro also; he rescued what would've been just yet another recolor by changing up that hair.
I'm also glad Yamamuro made it so that SSGSS Goku would have that extra protruding bang, he could have easily omitted it or updated SS to have it. It's small but it was a distinction between SS.

But for UI I really am surprised by Toriyama, it literally is SSG. I'm glad Yamamuro didn't just do a few changes but completely overhauled the hair.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Looks like Toei changed up a bit the design of Ultra Instinct adding flowing hair and muscles. What do you guys think Toyotaro will do for the manga? Will Ultra Instinct be just like SSG? Or will he make him more similair to the anime version just for it to be more recognizable?
Get Fucked, C_unt

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:39 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Amir wrote:

I disagree but besides that, even if the muscles do look better in the Toriyama version, look at how small they are, look at how Goku looks, he looks so small and young, almost like a little kid. Not to mention he looks just like SSJ God. Would you really want this design to be in the anime for MUI? If so then...damn.

So lucky Toeiyama is not the designer for the anime/manga, his designs look so god awful like it's not even DB. People give Yamamuro so much shit more than he deserves, if he supervised every episode I bet most people would call them movie quality because of the art. It may not be Takahashi or Karasawa but still on model and good. His clean ups in episode 110 and 127 looked pretty good and we all know fans wouldn't complain about the art if Super always looked like that.
Most of the supervisors don't even follow his designs at all but instead provide much lower quality (art wise) so it's not like he ruins the series.

Not going to deny his awful promo art stuff and the new ending.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Another preview image:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Another preview image:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Man, are we getting a preview image of Vegeta firing a Final Flash every episode? I'm kinda getting tired of this, he's been spamming it like crazy. Did he forget about Big Bang Attack and Galick Gun?
Get Fucked, C_unt

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:12 pm

Amir wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Amir wrote: Of course not. Toriyama's designs look absolutely terrible nowdays. I don't think there's anyone on the planet who prefers the Toriyama skinny bland designs over Yamamuro's that at least look a bit like the Buu saga's.

I disagree but besides that, even if the muscles do look better in the Toriyama version, look at how small they are, look at how Goku looks, he looks so small and young, almost like a little kid. Not to mention he looks just like SSJ God. Would you really want this design to be in the anime for MUI? If so then...damn.
Why would I be against Gokuu looking small and young? Hell, I say make his ultimate transformation into a cute little child. That would be a hell of a way to do the 'pinnacle of martial arts' or something.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:18 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Amir wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Why would I be against Gokuu looking small and young? Hell, I say make his ultimate transformation into a cute little child. That would be a hell of a way to do the 'pinnacle of martial arts' or something.
Well I guess that's the style you like and I can't argue with that.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Episode 128

Animation Supervisors
Osamu Ishikawa
Yuji Hakamada

Key Animators
Yukihiro Kitano
Nobuyoshi Sasakado
Kenji Miuma
Yoshitaka Kato
Osamu Ishikawa
Tatsuhiro Nagaki
Tu Yong-ce
Tetsuya Saeki
Setsuko Nobuzane
Yuji Hakamada
Miyuki Yokoyama
Hiroyuki Itai

Second Key Animators
Toei Phils.
Asahi Productions

-

My first impressions of this aren't particularly great on the whole. Very weak direction from Masanori Sato, and I was seriously underwhelmed by Yamamuro's storyboard. None of the dramatic beats landed as they should have. Will need to rewatch to see if I stand by that.

Animation-wise, I kinda felt similarly. While the supervisors' corrections were great, particularly Ishikawa, none of them had the key animators under them that they really needed to make this episode work -- or at the very least, none of them had time to deliver anything too noteworthy.

I like the look of the next episode. If I'm right about Nii evolving his style along the lines of Takahashi, then some of those final shots should be from him. If that's the case, then that's awesome, and it's a shame we didn't get to see more of that before Super wrapped up.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:00 pm

Was a decent episode. Not bad writing from Toshio and had some nice art at points (Tsuji and I saw some Yamamuro touch ups). Yamamuro's storyboard was okay, not as good as 126 but it was okay. Sato's poor direction affected it.

Overall though not too bad, very excited for next episode which does so far seem better!

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:58 pm

This episode was absolutely mediocre animation-wise (probably because Kitano is at the top of the staff list), but I assume that was intentional. Yamamuro's storyboard could have been better though.

The NEP looks pretty good, the shot of Goku Blanco at the end looks very inspired by Takahashi. The action seems to have a lot of looped frames, which I am perfectly fine with if they're executed well like 113.

EDIT : Now that I've rewatched the episode, I can say I actually enjoyed Yamamuro's storyboard! His knowledge of martial arts really helped some of the fight scenes.
Last edited by Firebolt on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:24 pm

-Episode 128-

Boring episode.

I watched this episode mentally prepared this would be the last one from Toshio and I'm disappointed this how my favourite writer goes out.

I just can't stand Vegeta at this point. It's like the writers all gathered in a room and decided to make Vegeta a motivational punchbag in the last episodes. Always remembering his family, always remembering Cabba, always talking about his pride, always doing another Final Flash...geez the episode got better when he has eliminated, but with this boring storyboard, lame direction and fight scenes this episode couldn't be saved. Not matter how much Jiren punched Vegeta and Goku, blood wouldn't come out either.

The Ultra Instinct awakening was also much better the other two times.

The only thing I liked was to see Vegeta shedding tears, because it captures well his frustration.

I have good expectations for episode 129 and I expect episode 130 to blow my mind.
In the NEP, Mastered UI Goku's face has Takahashi shading. If it's not him, it's good to see some animators taking notes to him even though it's too late now.

So far episode 125 is destroying everything that followed for me. Kazuya Karasawa is a monster. If Nagamine/Nakamura don't come back, I would like him to have full control over episode 130.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dodonpa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dodonpa » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:38 pm

Great episode, I wish we could get more close combat in the series like this episode had and left aside boring ki blasts and atatatatatatatas. Unfortunately this happened only because the main characters were tired.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:51 pm

Ajay wrote:Episode 128

Animation Supervisors
Osamu Ishikawa
Yuji Hakamada

Key Animators
Yukihiro Kitano
Nobuyoshi Sasakado
Kenji Miuma
Yoshitaka Kato
Osamu Ishikawa
Tatsuhiro Nagaki
Tu Yong-ce
Tetsuya Saeki
Setsuko Nobuzane
Yuji Hakamada
Miyuki Yokoyama
Hiroyuki Itai

Second Key Animators
Toei Phils.
Asahi Productions

-

My first impressions of this aren't particularly great on the whole. Very weak direction from Masanori Sato, and I was seriously underwhelmed by Yamamuro's storyboard. None of the dramatic beats landed as they should have. Will need to rewatch to see if I stand by that.

Animation-wise, I kinda felt similarly. While the supervisors' corrections were great, particularly Ishikawa, none of them had the key animators under them that they really needed to make this episode work -- or at the very least, none of them had time to deliver anything too noteworthy.

I like the look of the next episode. If I'm right about Nii evolving his style along the lines of Takahashi, then some of those final shots should be from him. If that's the case, then that's awesome, and it's a shame we didn't get to see more of that before Super wrapped up.
I do think that they tried to make it emotional and I liked it, but I do think that the direction could have been better. The animation could have been better as well and I hope what next episode shows us in two weeks from now.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:53 pm

Why does the animation during the punches look so bad? It's hard to describe, like those yellow flashes that kept appearing too? What is that called?

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:53 pm

What are you talking about? the art was perfect, aside from the shot of vegeta punching jiren that is clearly kitano at the beginning of the episode, the amount of repeated frames and the attatatata was minimal compared to previous episodes, just make memory or rewatch those, no blood? expected, not a surprise at this point of the journey.

About the vegeta thing with his family, although this has absolutely no relation with this thread to be discussed, I don't know what more writters can get out of him, DB characters aren't that deep to ever think that something else can come from them, I'll tell you more, if we follow that logic, then the plot of the goku black saga was burned out since the episode zamasu was revealed because he didn't stop his "fucking ningens" rethoric until he and black died.

The shots of beating goku and vegeta were nice, the UI awakening was nice, but obviously this is a mouth opener for the next episode, that judging by the preview it's gonna be amaizing.
Anyways, satisfied with today's episode

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:22 pm

precita wrote:Why does the animation during the punches look so bad? It's hard to describe, like those yellow flashes that kept appearing too? What is that called?
I don't think there's an actual term for it, but yellow, white and other colour flashes are a common technique in action animation to emphazise the impact of a hit.
Last edited by Firebolt on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.