Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:18 pm

When it comes to art I hope it wont be Kitano,Tate or Yashima who'll do the first appearance of the form.
Karasawa, Shida, Otsuka, Tsuji or Yuya Takahashi are probably the ones I would love to handle its first debut (Yuya seems unlikely tho...)

s y

Post by s y » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:47 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:When it comes to art I hope it wont be Kitano,Tate or Yashima who'll do the first appearance of the form.
Karasawa, Shida, Otsuka, Tsuji or Yuya Takahashi are probably the ones I would love to handle its first debut (Yuya seems unlikely tho...)
Or Shimanuki. But dear god not Tate.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:02 pm

s y wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:When it comes to art I hope it wont be Kitano,Tate or Yashima who'll do the first appearance of the form.
What's so wrong about Tate doing the transformation? If it's anything close to the Ribrianne transformation he did, I think it would be more than satisfactory.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

s y

Post by s y » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:28 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
s y wrote:
What's so wrong about Tate doing the transformation? If it's anything close to the Ribrianne transformation he did, I think it would be more than satisfactory.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Not a fan of his art in Super. Always looks wonky. The most memorable DB transformations have exceptional art(SS1 Goku, Super Vegeta, SS2 Gohan, etc) so I'd prefer somebody else's art like Shida or Shimanuki. Love Tate's One Piece and DBZ art tho :/

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:20 am

I would like to see Tate handle the form. People forget that he can draw on model if he wants. His Rebrianne transformation was great. But I am still surprised that Tate didn't handle the SSR transformation in #56 which he was supervising and he was heavily involved in that episode. It was done by Karasawa as far as I can remember.

Yamamuro didn't work directly on any of the FT episodes, unless he did some uncredited work, which I really doubt. I also wonder if Karasawa was working on that Dragon Ball/Dragon BallxOne piece special during his 21 week absence from Super. I wish AniCorner was still around. But anyways it should be clear in a few weeks.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:32 am

dhaval_dongre wrote:I would like to see Tate handle the form. People forget that he can draw on model if he wants. His Rebrianne transformation was great. But I am still surprised that Tate didn't handle the SSR transformation in #56 which he was supervising and he was heavily involved in that episode. It was done by Karasawa as far as I can remember.
I'm pretty sure the transformation in #56 was handled by Futoshi Highashide.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:23 am

JulieYBM wrote:I may just die of shame if Yamamuro winds up supervising the debut of the new transformation. :(
Why? The debut of the transformation of the new form is gonna be on model regardless so difference does Yamamuro supervising the episode make?

The hate for Yamamuro can be ridiculous at times, "die of shame" that such an over exaggerated statement.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:15 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:I may just die of shame if Yamamuro winds up supervising the debut of the new transformation. :(
Why? The debut of the transformation of the new form is gonna be on model regardless so difference does Yamamuro supervising the episode make?

The hate for Yamamuro can be ridiculous at times, "die of shame" that such an over exaggerated statement.
JulieYBM has been into animation longer than pretty much 99% percent of users on this forum. He definitely has enough authority to exaggerate, since he is more knowledgable than pretty nearly everyone on the subject matter.

In other news, have the images for the episode been released yet?

EDIT: Never mind.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:36 am

So because someone is knowledgeable in something means they have "authority to over exaggerate", that is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. Unnecessary over exaggeration is unnecessary over exaggeration.

Yamamuro hasn't supervised an episode in close to two years and even if he does somehow supervise that episode who is to say he actually animates the scene? It's just more unnecessary Yamamuro hate for the sake of it, you guys constantly talk about how the industry is shite to animators yet you guys don't have a problem ragging on Yamamuro whenever...

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:38 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So because someone is knowledgeable in something means they have "authority to over exaggerate", that is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. Unnecessary over exaggeration is unnecessary over exaggeration.

Yamamuro hasn't supervised an episode in close to two years and even if he does somehow supervise that episode who is to say he actually animates the scene? It's just more unnecessary Yamamuro hate for the sake of it, you guys constantly talk about how the industry is shite to animators yet you guys don't have a problem ragging on Yamamuro whenever...
Jacob rags on Yamamuro because he really doens't like him in the least.
EDIT: It's a throwaway remark. For Jacob, he probably thinks that if Yamamuro was the supervisor for that episode, all potentially interesting stuff will be completely stiffened and it will end up being almost completely under-whelming like the majority of episode 13.
Personally, I think that there are worse, more probable things that could happen to that episode. What if Kitano or Yashima supervises that episode. With the quality of there episodes during this tournament, I don't think the result would be at all pretty and it may even end up looking really bad if their aren't enough good people backing him up.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:12 am

Really, I just wanted to quote O Brother Where Art Thou.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:32 am

JulieYBM wrote:Really, I just wanted to quote O Brother Where Art Thou.
I'm really not sure how to feel about this.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:33 am

Can't remember if I shared this tidbit before, but I'll throw it out there since it's relevant to what everyone's talking about. Keeping it anonymous since I'd rather not potentially get the animator who told me in trouble.

Merchandise is the main driving force behind Super's existence, as we know. As a result, the debut of anything merchandisable must fit the typical image of Dragon Ball to a T -- as in, it must be recognisably on-model. That means that animators with distinctive traits, far from Yamamuro's sheets, are not normally considered for these scenes, or at the very least, they're heavily corrected.

You can find this throughout pretty much every key scene in Super so far. Yashima's episode 9 has Yamamuro step in to draw Super Saiyan God, despite the prior corrections coming from Ide. Super Saiyan Blue's reveal and most close-ups are heavily corrected by Tsuji, despite the ugly Kitano art that sits around it. Tadayoshi Yamamuro animates Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken despite most of the fight having corrections from Manabe and Ide. Black's debut is either Yamamuro, Yokoyama, Tu, or Ishikawa - again, all artists who typically stick close to the character sheets. The Rosé transformation is surrounded by Tate's effects work, yet the reveal itself is, again, from someone who sticks close to the sheets. Kitano's Super Saiyan Rage episode looked horrendous, but the initial transformation was as on-model as they come. The list goes on...

The reason for this is that the merchandisers strongly feel that consumers need to be able to see figures in window displays or in promo pieces and 100% recognise where they're from. It doesn't matter so much what the animators do after the big reveal, but it's important that the initial image that spreads around the fandom be as strikingly representative as possible, so that it matches the merchandising plans.

You'll find the odd exception, of course, since Super's production doesn't exactly allow for everything to go to plan, but that's the law laid down by the production committee. I wouldn't expect any major deviations from that promo image when the transformation rolls around.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:07 am

JazzMazz wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Really, I just wanted to quote O Brother Where Art Thou.
I'm really not sure how to feel about this.
"Shake a leg Junior! Thank God your mammy died givin' birth. If she'd have seen you, she'd have died o' shame."

Mind you, I'll still die of shame if I see Yamamuro work on the transformation's introduction, but my primary concern was quoting that terrible idiot politician.

Intolerable Cruelty is still the best Coen Brothers film. ♥
Ajay wrote:Can't remember if I shared this tidbit before, but I'll throw it out there since it's relevant to what everyone's talking about. Keeping it anonymous since I'd rather not potentially get the animator who told me in trouble.

Merchandise is the main driving force behind Super's existence, as we know. As a result, the debut of anything merchandisable must fit the typical image of Dragon Ball to a T -- as in, it must be recognisably on-model. That means that animators with distinctive traits, far from Yamamuro's sheets, are not normally considered for these scenes, or at the very least, they're heavily corrected.

You can find this throughout pretty much every key scene in Super so far. Yashima's episode 9 has Yamamuro step in to draw Super Saiyan God, despite the prior corrections coming from Ide. Super Saiyan Blue's reveal and most close-ups are heavily corrected by Tsuji, despite the ugly Kitano art that sits around it. Tadayoshi Yamamuro animates Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken despite most of the fight having corrections from Manabe and Ide. Black's debut is either Yamamuro, Yokoyama, Tu, or Ishikawa - again, all artists who typically stick close to the character sheets. The Rosé transformation is surrounded by Tate's effects work, yet the reveal itself is, again, from someone who sticks close to the sheets. Kitano's Super Saiyan Rage episode looked horrendous, but the initial transformation was as on-model as they come. The list goes on...

The reason for this is that the merchandisers strongly feel that consumers need to be able to see figures in window displays or in promo pieces and 100% recognise where they're from. It doesn't matter so much what the animators do after the big reveal, but it's important that the initial image that spreads around the fandom be as strikingly representative as possible, so that it matches the merchandising plans.

You'll find the odd exception, of course, since Super's production doesn't exactly allow for everything to go to plan, but that's the law laid down by the production committee. I wouldn't expect any major deviations from that promo image when the transformation rolls around.
This is pretty much how Pretty Cure is run, too. The more detailed the drawings the closer they resemble the toys and what not. This is why so much CG is used. If only the designs for Dragon Ball weren't so terrible.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Doubt it gonna happen, but I would love Shida to pop up and do a little cut for this episode. The return of SSG + Goku/Hit tag team episode deserves something memorable.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:25 pm

I really do wonder how many on model shots throughout the show are uncredited Yamamuro corrections.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:49 pm

More images , SSG hype

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:52 pm

The Goku shot looks good, but I don't know whose bright idea it was to use that tween frame for Hit vs Dyspo.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:29 pm

In terms of animation there was nothing special but at the same time nothing bad either. Pretty safe episode.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Wow, that was actually really damn good. Solid art, lots of animation and some cool framing! Itai's style was a bit odd here, it seems like he trying to follow the model sheets closer and he's an a weird in-between stage in evolving his style.
Not much to say about the NEP other than the art looks good.