Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 93

Post by Ajay » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:13 am

riversxv wrote:So I have a question not entirely about animation but art direction instead, that un-named promo artist that we've been seeing quite a bit of that has done such amazing work like the Blu Ray cover for part 1 of Supers english dub and I was just wondering if we could ever see them doing any character designs for the show? I would assume all current and past character designers got that role not just because of their character designs but also their ability to animate well and well, we aren't sure if this person can animate well if at all. This is just a question I've had for a while and was wondering people's thoughts on it :D
I'd really love for that promo artist you're referring to to design characters - I think he'd do a spectacular job (at least on paper). You're pretty much spot on in your assessment that character designers should also be able to animate too, though. The reason being that they're often expected to fulfill other roles - whether that be a chief or regular supervisor, or even just a key animator. It's not much good to be able to draw well if you can't produce designs from an animator's perspective, or be able to correct someone's work accurately, without disrupting the intended flow.

Those technical issues aside, the industry is very much built on a hierarchy like many companies. You're expected to work your way up the ranks. You only tend to leap frog positions if you're incredibly talented, or if your studio takes pride in giving people with potential a chance. That does mean that as much as I enjoy that person's work, it's not likely we'll ever see them move on from a illustrative role to that of an animator.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

riversxv

Post by riversxv » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Ajay wrote:
riversxv wrote:So I have a question not entirely about animation but art direction instead, that un-named promo artist that we've been seeing quite a bit of that has done such amazing work like the Blu Ray cover for part 1 of Supers english dub and I was just wondering if we could ever see them doing any character designs for the show? I would assume all current and past character designers got that role not just because of their character designs but also their ability to animate well and well, we aren't sure if this person can animate well if at all. This is just a question I've had for a while and was wondering people's thoughts on it :D
I'd really love for that promo artist you're referring to to design characters - I think he'd do a spectacular job (at least on paper). You're pretty much spot on in your assessment that character designers should also be able to animate too, though. The reason being that they're often expected to fulfill other roles - whether that be a chief or regular supervisor, or even just a key animator. It's not much good to be able to draw well if you can't produce designs from an animator's perspective, or be able to correct someone's work accurately, without disrupting the intended flow.

Those technical issues aside, the industry is very much built on a hierarchy like many companies. You're expected to work your way up the ranks. You only tend to leap frog positions if you're incredibly talented, or if your studio takes pride in giving people with potential a chance. That does mean that as much as I enjoy that person's work, it's not likely we'll ever see them move on from a illustrative role to that of an animator.
Thanks for the response! Another question, we know Shimanuki had to have looked at his past work to get back to where he is today with his character art, do you think Yamamuro could or does the same? I personally think he knows that people aren't fond of his current style and I'm sure he's gone back and looked at his past work because we've seen him make small improvements, I feel like he has to know what made his art and designs so good back then but he is just too lazy or stubborn to try and refine his older style

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:02 pm

shida is perfection, he sets the bar too high that is hard to find someone else comparable :clap:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:05 pm

iAnimationLover_ wrote:Question: When was the last time Higashide got involved in an episode? I feel like its been a while (Though i do want him to take his time, for better animation ofc)
Without Animator's Corner I've gotta go off of memory here, but I think 91 was the last episode he was on.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Episode 90 if my memory is correct. The episode where Gohan faught Goku.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Hit!! wrote:Episode 90 if my memory is correct. The episode where Gohan faught Goku.
He was on 91, he did the training session between Whis and Goku. I can't remember if he was on any episodes after that.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:14 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Hit!! wrote:Episode 90 if my memory is correct. The episode where Gohan faught Goku.
He was on 91, he did the training session between Whis and Goku. I can't remember if he was on any episodes after that.
Oh yeah i forgot about that part.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:41 pm

Guys how do you rate takeo ide's corrections in latest episodes, does he deserve this role as chief animation supervisor ? how do you compare him with Tsuji's and who do you prefer ?
a lot of questions :P , sorry

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:01 pm

Nasryyy wrote:Guys how do you rate takeo ide's corrections in latest episodes, does he deserve this role as chief animation supervisor ? how do you compare him with Tsuji's and who do you prefer ?
a lot of questions :P , sorry
I think for the most part he did a pretty good job.
He's pretty fast, so that's a big part of why I think he deserves the role he has.
I prefer Tsuji, but I probably like Ide more than some others in this thread.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:26 am

This episode is the best of Dragon Ball Super in terms of animation. Hands down, imo. The art was beautiful (those Freeza close-ups!! OMG) and it had some great highlights in terms of animation.

Also, Tate + Shida, not just in the same episode or half of an episode, but in a same cut, together. It doesn't get any better than that.

I have 3 notable cuts out of this episode:

And of course this one (it's a shame in sakugabooru they took Tate's work in this cut out):

I counted 6 impact frames. That moment got me at the edge of my couch. Just incredible. You can feel the speed and the collision. And Shida's details are just mesmerizing.

Let's just put Tate to animate every episode and Shida storyboarding (no one's talking about that change of focus between Beerus+Whis and Freeza+Goku before their fight, that was great). Give me a montly episode, I don't care. This episode sets the bar. This is the standart.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:05 am

PMD wrote: Also, Tate + Shida, not just in the same episode or half of an episode, but in a same cut, together. It doesn't get any better than that.

I have 3 notable cuts out of this episode:

And of course this one (it's a shame in sakugabooru they took Tate's work in this cut out):

I counted 6 impact frames. That moment got me at the edge of my couch. Just incredible. You can feel the speed and the collision. And Shida's details are just mesmerizing.

Let's just put Tate to animate every episode and Shida storyboarding (no one's talking about that change of focus between Beerus+Whis and Freeza+Goku before their fight, that was great). Give me a montly episode, I don't care. This episode sets the bar. This is the standart.
Which part of the cut did Tate do? I'm pretty sure it was just all Shida in that specific scene.
EDIT: Went over episode 94 again, I think I can safetly say that Karasawa did this scene. The smoke from the punches, though obscured by the ends of the screen, looks pretty reminscent of when Vegeta knocked out Cabba in SSB way back in #37.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Really love that cut where Frieza is reacting to the punch, he goes through four or five different facial expressions by my count. Stuff like that really uses subtle animation as a medium to tell a story, wish we saw more of it in the series.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:35 pm

This is a really weird mistake for Tate to make.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
He drew fourth form Freeza with Golden Freeza's head.
I wonder if this will get corrected in the home release.

Razyos

Post by Razyos » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:36 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:This is a really weird mistake for Tate to make.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
He drew fourth form Freeza with Golden Freeza's head.
I wonder if this will get corrected in the home release.
I doubt it. I honestly can't think of any scene in recent episodes that need correcting. Ha, maybe that Beerus dog face, but that makes me laugh, so I don't mind it.
Here's a question though, would everyone be okay with the future episodes swapping from the tournament to whatever is happening on Earth, like with Goten and Trunks on the island? If this tournament is going to last long (and I hope it does, seeing how they spread out these last 48 hours) it would be a good way to use the weaker animators on episodes that don't affect the tournament :)
Spread positive vibes~ ^.^

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:57 pm

Razyos wrote: I doubt it. I honestly can't think of any scene in recent episodes that need correcting. Ha, maybe that Beerus dog face, but that makes me laugh, so I don't mind it.
Here's a question though, would everyone be okay with the future episodes swapping from the tournament to whatever is happening on Earth, like with Goten and Trunks on the island? If this tournament is going to last long (and I hope it does, seeing how they spread out these last 48 hours) it would be a good way to use the weaker animators on episodes that don't affect the tournament :)
They correct continuity errors, so this could see a correction.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:58 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Razyos wrote: I doubt it. I honestly can't think of any scene in recent episodes that need correcting. Ha, maybe that Beerus dog face, but that makes me laugh, so I don't mind it.
They correct continuity errors, so this could see a correction.
They did leave Frost with Freeza's head back in the U6 arc, so who knows! :lol:
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:40 pm

Ajay wrote: They did leave Frost with Freeza's head back in the U6 arc, so who knows! :lol:
I forgot about that, lmao.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:02 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Ajay wrote: They did leave Frost with Freeza's head back in the U6 arc, so who knows! :lol:
I forgot about that, lmao.
when did that happen ??

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 am

Guys i have a question.

I remember that back when the ROF arc and the universe 6 arc were airing, some animation drawings were being leaked and they would show up on twitter. Later Ajay explained that some key animation was being thrown away last minute, resulting in a rushed seamingly unfinished product like episodes 24 and 33.

My question is, was it ever explained why that was happening??

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:26 am

Hit!! wrote:Guys i have a question.

I remember that back when the ROF arc and the universe 6 arc were airing, some animation drawings were being leaked and they would show up on twitter. Later Ajay explained that some key animation was being thrown away last minute, resulting in a rushed seamingly unfinished product like episodes 24 and 33.

My question is, was it ever explained why that was happening??
I'm pretty sure that it was later proven to be fake. The key frames being thrown away were fabricated.

Anthos Schwarzlicht

Post by Anthos Schwarzlicht » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:40 am

Does anyone know what Saeki Tetsuya did?