Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by cuartas » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:20 pm

Psykomatik wrote:
cuartas wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:I heard kitano was demoted and takahashi is a supervisor?
Why no one is giving this one relevance, is it true or nay?
Kitano is no longer a supervisor since 97, and he did key animation on 103, 109, 113, 115 and 119 while Takahashi is a supervisor since 114 and supervised 122.
So it's probably true, yeah.
Takahashi is still a freelancer, so there's no real guarantee that he will be a regular from now on, he can be another Karasawa case that is totally inconsistent.
So the point is to know if it's confirmed that he's becoming a regular and not someone that just comes to lend a hand

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:55 pm

I wish Toma and his thick lines would return and of course Iseki. Imagine an Iseki and Takahashi episode!?!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Have they still been changing the animation for the Blu Ray releases?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:59 pm

Shida also mentioned that he works seven days a week and eight hours a day. Additionally, his One Piece: Film Gold scene took about two months to animate. If I counted right, Shida did about eight-four or so cuts, so this means he pulled those off in about sixty days. If Shida could get that long for the next film I would be very happy.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 pm

JulieYBM wrote:If I counted right, Shida did about eight-four or so cuts, so this means he pulled those off in about sixty days. If Shida could get that long for the next film I would be very happy.
We all would.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Ice85

Post by Ice85 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:46 pm

So the next episode's animation looks pretty.... bad from what We've seen, maybe it'll be mediocre but Takahashi will help out with some good animation like 115?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:29 pm

Ice85 wrote:So the next episode's animation looks pretty.... bad from what We've seen, maybe it'll be mediocre but Takahashi will help out with some good animation like 115?
What do you think looks bad about it? Animation wise it doesn't seem any worse than the NEP for #122 and art while a come down from Takahashi it still looks pretty decent, that final shot of Goku and Vegeta looks great.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:42 pm

I know this is sort of off topic but I didn't really know where else to put it.

I clicked on a random YouTube video about a professional sushi chef reviewing cheap sushi, and the chef's name is "Yoya Takahashi". What are the chances?

Ice85

Post by Ice85 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:24 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Ice85 wrote:So the next episode's animation looks pretty.... bad from what We've seen, maybe it'll be mediocre but Takahashi will help out with some good animation like 115?
What do you think looks bad about it? Animation wise it doesn't seem any worse than the NEP for #122 and art while a come down from Takahashi it still looks pretty decent, that final shot of Goku and Vegeta looks great.
The first part of the preview when Jiren jumps between the rocks looked pretty bad to me, and Jiren's first punch lacked any weight even though they used the shaky screen effect, then the part when Jiren catched Goku's fist looked awful, but the final part looked nice so maybe someone else will help out in the end with Vegeta's transformation like they did with Goku's UI transformation in 115?

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:36 am

A few days ago i made a post regarding some pretty concerning things I've seen and tonight I see on twitter things that make me facepalm once more. People replying and directing their comments on twitter about Yamamuro (mostly blind bashing, some weren't) to Shida's twitter! Really don't even have to say how disrespectful that is. I can't even begin...ugh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:52 am

DainIronfoot wrote:A few days ago i made a post regarding some pretty concerning things I've seen and tonight I see on twitter things that make me facepalm once more. People replying and directing their comments on twitter about Yamamuro (mostly blind bashing, some weren't) to Shida's twitter! Really don't even have to say how disrespectful that is. I can't even begin...ugh.
Why would people do that? It doesn't make us fans look good. It would make them feel like us fans can never be happy with anything. It's not a good look.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:57 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Psykomatik wrote:
cuartas wrote: Why no one is giving this one relevance, is it true or nay?
Kitano is no longer a supervisor since 97, and he did key animation on 103, 109, 113, 115 and 119 while Takahashi is a supervisor since 114 and supervised 122.
So it's probably true, yeah.
Kitano most likely got demoted because better supervisors became available around the time the Tournament Of Power was about to begin. Kitano wasn't chosen as a supervisor from the get-go because he was the best available, he was chosen because they was literally no-one else available.
That would make sense considering the great animators we have on Super right now. Kitano isn't needed at all in the TOP.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:38 pm

The NEP looked fine.
The timing on Jiren jumping between rocks was a bit weird, but the NEP looked fine overall.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:34 pm

Episode 123

Animation Supervisors
Hiroyuki Itai
Osamu Ishikawa

Key Animation
Yukihiro Kitano
Futoshi Higashide
Yoshitaka Kato
Tetsuya Saeki
Kenji Miuma
住々門 信<character I can't read>???
Osamu Ishikawa
Hiroyuki Itai
Tu Yong-ce
Nomi Tomechisa
Tatsuhiro Nagaki
Naoki Tate

Second Key Animation
Toei Phils.
Asashi Productions
A-Line
Tokyo Animation Center

-

That was definitely an episode of two halves. I expected a lot more of Itai's half, but with Yukihiro Kitano top-credited and what appears to be the bulk of his work featured there, it's not entirely surprising.

Ishikawa's half was much stronger. With Naoki Tate and Futoshi Higashide delivering some intense action, they definitely managed to elevate this episode by a decent margin, though very much rougher than their usual output on the whole. I'd go as far as to say that's Tate's weakest contribution since this entire arc began. Feels like such a last minute addition to the episode. Even Higashide's scene isn't up to his usual standards.

I'm glad it was at least pretty watchable since Sato's storyboard and direction was much stronger than I'd anticipated, and I was watching the first half very worried that his good work would be wasted on mediocre animation. It still kinda was, but not nearly to the extent the first half lead me to believe.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:24 pm

Kitano again with that slow animation. Man he is so bad it's funny.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:51 pm

Amir wrote:Kitano again with that slow animation. Man he is so bad it's funny.
Kitano is the Studio Live of Super. He'll never produce anything decent.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Pretty bad scenes this week, although some shots looked different. I wish the animators of these last two eps were reversed.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:39 pm

I agree with this post ^

122 was a hype induced episode that not really happened after all it's the opposite of today episode that we had Goku and the others displaying good strategies on field and Vegeta new transformation.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:11 pm

The storyboard and direction completely saved this episode. Kept the action engaging despite the mediocre animation.

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:35 am

DainIronfoot wrote:A few days ago i made a post regarding some pretty concerning things I've seen and tonight I see on twitter things that make me facepalm once more. People replying and directing their comments on twitter about Yamamuro (mostly blind bashing, some weren't) to Shida's twitter! Really don't even have to say how disrespectful that is. I can't even begin...ugh.
I've made this observation before when fandoms first start picking up on complicated processes such as the animation process, and the industry. They only know one or 2 names (Shida, Tate, Yamamuro, most recently Takahashi) , then they listen to the opinions of people they like (in this case, it's Ajay who had a channel explosion over the last year I'm seeing the general knowledge of the comment section of his videos decline as he attracts more newbies) and learn through osmosis of opinion, rather than being able to articulate themselves why something is wonky, or poorly designed. I did this when I first started art school. i took my first class and started lecturing pros on color theory looking like a tool in the process. A smidgen of knowledge leaves you blind. Sure you know how pretty "sakuga" is, but what makes it work? what about it's timing, and consistency?

it is the very definition of disrespectful. I may not like Yamamuro's work, but if i ever had the chance to work under Him, I would to see what i could learn. We really have to make it clear that our dissent stays for the purpose of discussing a product and potentially improving it. NOT bashing on the creators. It's about what we can learn from, not why x sucks.

EDIT: I've also been hanging around 4chan/a/ recently and dear god those guys love to take information out of context and spread falsehoods.
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE