Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

aaronWgamer
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by aaronWgamer » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:52 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Oh wow I found this to add the the Yamamuro Kamehameha pose collection:
Oh fucc, there's four of them. They're growing in numbers.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:17 am

Ajay wrote:That was far and away the best episode of the tournament so far. What a difference having a competent director makes. Every shot was so powerful, even if it was just a still. Wonderful all around.
This was a very, very good episode. But far and away the best episode of the tournament? I don't know about that. There were some really nice shots and some good animation but I think 104 slightly tops this one, or the two come very close in my opinion. I'm curious what you felt made this episode "far and away" better compared to every other episode though, even 104?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:16 am

Asura wrote:
Ajay wrote:That was far and away the best episode of the tournament so far. What a difference having a competent director makes. Every shot was so powerful, even if it was just a still. Wonderful all around.
This was a very, very good episode. But far and away the best episode of the tournament? I don't know about that. There were some really nice shots and some good animation but I think 104 slightly tops this one, or the two come very close in my opinion. I'm curious what you felt made this episode "far and away" better compared to every other episode though, even 104?
Though I think #104 is still the best episode from a purely narrative stand-point, it was really never the pinnacle of animation even before #107. 103 on a whole was better animated than #104, while #107 has more animation than than both #103 and #104.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:32 am

Am I the only one who noticed this?

It looks like Goku and Vegeta really have gotten improved designs, considering they are using the character design for GodPad's pictures. That's very good news if true, and would explain why they are looking better recently.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:26 am

Here are all the cool scenes in the episode that stuck out to me in particular.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
There were a lot more scenes that were really cool, but I don't think they were lengthy enough to put here.

Really great episode overall, I agree that it's the most consistently well animated and directed of the tournament.
Last edited by JazzMazz on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:33 am

Nakamura can take a bow. Whenever he directs, he makes everything hella atmospheric and really sells the character to the viewer through atmosphere alone. The difference between his episodes and other regulars is night and day.

Nagamine deserves credit for his SB. There were some good ideas especially in the first half, but it is Nakamura's directional sensibilities that execute it so well and that's what makes this ep a success. Powerful stuff as mentioned already. This transition scene is outstanding. Add to that, close-ups like these and you get Frost that has never looked this menacing before. I also liked this particular perspective shot. It gives a sense of unease.

I'm sure that Ishitani had some hand in it and I would love to know what her input was. Whatever it maybe, it was a good collaborative effort overall. As for the action animation, Nagamine's love for action and pace was somewhat missing so I feel like he restrained himself which is a shame, but totally understandable. The main talents are busy with the TVSP after all. What action we got was nice. Nothing out of this world, but no poor work either.

Easily, the best episode in the ToP. For the first time in the tournament, I was invested in what was going on. Episodes like this also prove that the best flashy and explosive action animation is not a necessity to make a good episode and also the importance of an enshutsu(episode director). And, on a slightly off-topic note, Nakao absolutely killed it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:17 am

Boy no exaggeration about the directing, here. This arc continues to have the best directing of DBS, just wish to see some of these directions in the other arcs. Everything was on point this episode even the music! Narrative, music, animation and direction I think this maybe my favourite arc of DBS so far.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:20 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Boy no exaggeration about the directing, here. This arc continues to have the best directing of DBS, just wish to see some of these directions in the other arcs. Everything was on point this episode even the music! Narrative, music, animation and direction I think this maybe my favourite arc of DBS so far.
This arc is good, but FT arc is still better in my opinion. Apart from some very good episodes this arc has been average.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:42 am

https://twitter.com/ishigyunyu/status/9 ... 1587957762

A tweet from Ishitani. This is what google translated,

I was excited at the moment when I read Conte Nagamine's manager of the second half part ... I got excited ... I felt accurate advice and correction instructions from Mr. Nakamura. I was fortunate to be able to do a variety of first jobs under the direction of both directors.

I really didn't get the Nagamine part. Can plz someone give share an accurate translation of that ? She also said that she was instructed not to disclose her work, by Toei.

Edit: Btw 'Conte', 'Manager'. Is google a Chelsea fan ? :lol:

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:47 am

Ishitani was SB/ED of A part. She was responsible for the awesome first half scenes. Nakamura more likely assisted her, but yeah Ishitani did all the good shit.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:50 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Ishitani was SB/ED of A part. She was responsible for the awesome first half scenes. Nakamura more likely assisted her, but yeah Ishitani did all the good shit.
That's nice. Thanks for sharing. Btw can you read Japanese ?

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:59 am

A little. Someone had already translated her tweet and I just came here to correct myself before anybody else could lol and also confirm Ishitani's work.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:07 am

emperior wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Boy no exaggeration about the directing, here. This arc continues to have the best directing of DBS, just wish to see some of these directions in the other arcs. Everything was on point this episode even the music! Narrative, music, animation and direction I think this maybe my favourite arc of DBS so far.
This arc is good, but FT arc is still better in my opinion. Apart from some very good episodes this arc has been average.
Narratively the Trunks arc was better, but coupled with everything else I am enjoying this arc more if that makes sense. Some episodes of the Trunks arc look I dunno how to describe but plain I guess in comparison to some episodes of this arc and the art and animation on the whole has been a lot more consistent in this arc too. Plus Goku gets a new form this arc that doesn't look to be like SS3/SSGSS where he has attained it prior to initial reveal so that is a plus.

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:25 am

Studio should of just put a police officer uniform on that Maji Kayo guy. Waaaaay too on the nose with the homage there.
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:32 am

Man, Ishitani did a great job on the first half, wonder why she wasn't credited. Hopefully this means she's going to be a regular episode director and storyboarder pretty soon.
emperior wrote:Am I the only one who noticed this?

It looks like Goku and Vegeta really have gotten improved designs, considering they are using the character design for GodPad's pictures. That's very good news if true, and would explain why they are looking better recently.
Yeah, I noticed too, That Goku face is definitely an improvement. If these are updated character designs I hope we get to see the full things soon.
JazzMazz wrote:Here are all the cool scenes in the episode that stuck out to me in particular.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
There were a lot more scenes that were really cool, but I don't think they were lengthy enough to put here.

Really great episode overall, I agree that it's the most consistently well animated and directed of the tournament.
I feel like #4 could be on the Booru.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:36 am

ArchedThunder wrote:Man, Ishitani did a great job on the first half, wonder why she wasn't credited. Hopefully this means she's going to be a regular episode director and storyboarder pretty soon.
emperior wrote:Am I the only one who noticed this?

Yeah, I noticed too, That Goku face is definitely an improvement. If these are updated character designs I hope we get to see the full things soon.
JazzMazz wrote:Here are all the cool scenes in the episode that stuck out to me in particular.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I feel like #4 could be on the Booru.
I'll have to cut it down a little.
EDIT: Here's a shorter version I've created.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:44 am

JazzMazz wrote: I'll have to cut it down a little.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
I said 4, not 5, but that might be worth a try too, but I don't know if it will stay.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:47 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: I'll have to cut it down a little.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
I said 4, not 5, but that might be worth a try too, but I don't know if it will stay.
What parts of 4 would you suggest cutting out?
EDIT: Here's an even shorter version of 5.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Last edited by JazzMazz on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:49 am

JazzMazz wrote: What parts of 4 would you suggest cutting out?
I think it's good how it is.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:03 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: What parts of 4 would you suggest cutting out?
I think it's good how it is.
It got turned down.