Which studio would be perfect for dbs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Which studio would be perfect for dbs?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:16 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't think better animation will make things better. You can have something look amazing, but still have a shit story. GT had decent animation, but the writing was still bad in my opinion.
Good animation can make a bad or unremarkable story tolerable.
So if Mars of Destruction and Johnny Test was animated by Mad House, would it make it better even with the same level of bad writing? Shows like Fist of the North Star, Gatchaman and Mazinger Z have bad animation now because they are very old shows, but they have good characters and stories to them. I guess I'm more open minded then most people. I can enjoy very old movies, TV shows and video games even if they are dated.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:19 pm

You're not getting what I'm saying.

I'm not saying that good animation makes a show GOOD. I'm saying that good animation can save a terrible story and turn a potentially terrible show into a tolerable one. Sword Art Online has AWFUL writing and I still managed to finish it just fine because the fight scenes were easy to enjoy. The same with other mediocre shows like Attack on Titan and Tokyo Ghoul.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:33 pm

Put Ishizuka Atsuko in charge of Johnny Test and the result would be great. Madhouse isn't great because it's a good studio, produces a few good series because it's production committee partners are more reasonable than those sponsoring Dragon Ball Super.

Put Sword Art Online in the hands of a different production team and its quality would likely suffer, too. What makes it so entertaining is how passionate the staff is for the material, even outside of the battle scenes. The love placed into the drawings of the girls is something easily understandable and makes them likable characters. This is why Dragon Ball Super Episode #4 and Episode #16 were so great.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:42 pm

Just give the show to Disney. They'll own it in the end anyway.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:48 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Put Ishizuka Atsuko in charge of Johnny Test and the result would be great. Madhouse isn't great because it's a good studio, produces a few good series because it's production committee partners are more reasonable than those sponsoring Dragon Ball Super.

Put Sword Art Online in the hands of a different production team and its quality would likely suffer, too. What makes it so entertaining is how passionate the staff is for the material, even outside of the battle scenes. The love placed into the drawings of the girls is something easily understandable and makes them likable characters. This is why Dragon Ball Super Episode #4 and Episode #16 were so great.
Even though i didn´t bold the whole sentence, i think the message is the same.
If the staff were so passionated of "X" material, that they put the best drawing ever, best storyboarding ever, best animation ever with all the passion in the universe but still the final product has plot holes, contriviances, terrible dialogue, terrible voice acting, terrible pacing and plain and simple shitty writing (like something writen by Michael Bay), Would the result still be great ?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:14 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Put Ishizuka Atsuko in charge of Johnny Test and the result would be great. Madhouse isn't great because it's a good studio, produces a few good series because it's production committee partners are more reasonable than those sponsoring Dragon Ball Super.

Even though i didn´t bold the whole sentence, i think the message is the same.
If the staff were so passionated of "X" material, that they put the best drawing ever, best storyboarding ever, best animation ever with all the passion in the universe but still the final product has plot holes, contriviances, terrible dialogue, terrible voice acting, terrible pacing and plain and simple shitty writing (like something writen by Michael Bay), Would the result still be great ?
You don't have to be superbly written to be entertaining. Dragon Ball isn't well-written and is riddled with backwards, half-assed explanations for things just so that the author can move along to whatever interests him next but it's still entertaining because the person making it is having a good time and has no qualms with making that clear.

What [western] fans want from something based on superficial details and what a work is actually about and for often wind up being two different things entirety. Take Sword Art Online, English-speaking fans often complain about how the series doesn't focus on what they want, like a plot having to deal with an imaginary world. They completely ignore the actual intention of its creator or intended audience, brushing them off as being trivial and meaningless in the face of their wants. Sounds a lot like English-speaking Dragon Ball fans, doesn't it? "Not enough focus on the battle powers!", "not enough focus on humans!", "not enough focus on fight scenes or hand-to-hand combat!" Rather than consuming Dragon Ball for what it is they consume it only for what they demand of it, rather than just doing what Otaku do and make their own works as a form of possession.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:41 pm

Lets put thing in another way:
A group of animators and creative minds are ttrying (its their intention) to do an animated show(regarless of what franchise/product it belongs) that tells an entertaining, funny, simple story but fails completely, the story is not entertaining nor funny but is just simply not good story, its plain bad but it has animation done by the gods of the medium that gave their 100% skills. How would call that product ?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:51 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Lets put thing in another way:
A group of animators and creative minds are ttrying (its their intention) to do an animated show(regarless of what franchise/product it belongs) that tells an entertaining, funny, simple story but fails completely, the story is not entertaining nor funny but is just simply not good story, its plain bad but it has animation done by the gods of the medium that gave their 100% skills. How would call that product ?
Why is the story not funny or entertaining? What makes it neither of those things? Hypotheticals are not going to get anyone anywhere. What we are reacting to and what we like when we view TV series or film is not the idea but the adaption of that idea into visual and/or audio form.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:59 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Why is the story not funny or entertaining? What makes it neither of those things? Hypotheticals are not going to get anyone anywhere. What were are reacting to and what we like when we view of TV series or film is not the idea but the adaption of that idea into visual and/or audio form.
It would be good if you dont try to avoid my question. Please, answer what i asked before.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:05 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
JulieYBM wrote: Why is the story not funny or entertaining? What makes it neither of those things? Hypotheticals are not going to get anyone anywhere. What were are reacting to and what we like when we view of TV series or film is not the idea but the adaption of that idea into visual and/or audio form.
It would be good if you dont try to avoid my question. Please, answer what i asked before.
Good stories do not mean a good television series or film.
She/Her
bisexual milf

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
Good stories do not mean a good television series or film.
Neither does good animation. Its a symbiosis. You need both. As Neo-Makaioshin is trying to point out, You can have the greatest, god tier animation possible but without a good story or even a decent story, it'll be passed up. Animation doesn't make the series great, conveying the story through the animation is what makes it great and if the story is bad, none of the effort put in by the animators matters. You need both, going by the way you see things, Toriyama isn't needed in dragon ball at all. But in reality, he is. He's the heart, without him, there is no dragon ball. good animation does not mean good TV series either, its symbiosis of story and animation. Both are equally needed.

Heck there are examples in the west that show writing is more important, look at Rick & Morty. That series runs entirely off the writing and humor. Adventure Time? The characters drive the show, their humor and writing is what makes them work, even with their simple art and animation. There are plenty more examples like Gravity Falls and more but listing them all would take forever. Overall I think the point is made.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:43 pm

Yes, west animations really improved past few years :)
Neo-Makaiōshin: I can answer that question, with Preure example, Smile Precure is really good looking series, well drawn characters, and great looking visuals, but for me, storywise it felt flat, and i dropped it half way (Fairy was annoying, characters learnt something by one episode, and forget it next episode, it really could helped, if it was trimmed to 20 episodes max) Happiness Charge Precure was created as 10th Precure anniverary, while it had problems with story too, animation was thing people mostly complained about (Didn't watched that series yet, my opinion is based on comments :oops: ) Animation can be important too, and i think, the fact it was 10th anniversary, made people more disappointed that animation wasn't top notch.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:51 pm

None of my posts have been within the context that good animation will save a bad story. My posts have clearly been in the context that a story doesn't have to be great for a series or film to be entertaining. Good animation wouldn't have made Superman Versus The Elite a good film or some nonsense. A basic story combined with great storytelling (animation, camera work, music, acting, sound effects) will, however, make a good movie.
She/Her
bisexual milf

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:18 am

Toei, the old toei. before They changed their animation. Nothing looks better then Z buu saga, but nothing is uglier then the animation that's been used since battle of gods. The colors are a much bigger problem then the horrendous drawings. If it wasn't for that I could watch super without feeling like it's a chore. Can't even watch, I have hopes and keep trying but I can't.

It's be nice to get miyazaki on the team, he'd use animation cels again.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:29 am

Jaetinh wrote:Madhouse for sure. I'd take 12 episodes from Madhouse rather than 100 episodes from Toei any day of the week.
This is one of the most ridiculous comments i have ever seen. Smh...

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Just about any studio other than Studio DEEN would do Dragon Ball more justice than Toei right now.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:32 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Just about any studio other than Studio DEEN would do Dragon Ball more justice than Toei right now.
Pierrot is a worse studio than Toei.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:24 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Just about any studio other than Studio DEEN would do Dragon Ball more justice than Toei right now.
Magic Bus and Digital Works are worst then Toei when it comes to animation in Japan.
She/Her

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:37 pm

Magic Bus did The Legend of the Galactic Heroes..one hit wonder? :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:22 pm

Most of Magic Bus animation is not so great. They did Mad Bull 34 (which I did enjoy), but Mad Bull 34's animation is not that great compare to other anime that came out that same year like Cyber City Odedo 808. They also did Demon Lord Dante which looked meh at best. The Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Cobra: The Animation are the best animated thing that they done that I've seen in my opinion.
She/Her