Which studio would be perfect for dbs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Re: Which studio would be perfect for dbs?

Post by Kakarotto92 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:56 am

At this point I think even Studio Pierrot would make a better job than Toei. I'm no animation expert but the original Naruto series was one the best animated battle shounen series I have ever seen. The same can't be said about Shippuden though, quite the opposite.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:53 pm

Naruto's animation is not much better then Dragon Ball. Just look at this!

She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:56 pm

Kakarotto92 wrote:At this point I think even Studio Pierrot would make a better job than Toei. I'm no animation expert but the original Naruto series was one the best animated battle shounen series I have ever seen. The same can't be said about Shippuden though, quite the opposite.
Studio Pierrot shows absolutely no respect for the source material they end up adapting. I wouldn't want them anywhere NEAR Dragon Ball.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:00 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Naruto's animation is not much better then Dragon Ball. Just look at this!

Why do those two screen captures of in-between drawings completely out of context prove your claim?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Naruto's animation is not much better then Dragon Ball. Just look at this!
The first is an inbetween and the second is from a scene where the animator chose to stylise everything. That's not bad animation.

Naruto has/had significantly better animation than Dragon Ball has ever seen.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lookerman

Post by Lookerman » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:25 pm

And this proves anything how? I thought it was established those were actually part of well-animated sequences.

Anyways, on the topic at hand. As much as I'd like to see another studio take over animation duties (Bones and Madhouse in particular). It'd probably be easier if Toei actually dropped series, put more money into some of the shit they're currently making (Super included) and gave a damn about the material they're writing for.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:40 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Kakarotto92 wrote:At this point I think even Studio Pierrot would make a better job than Toei. I'm no animation expert but the original Naruto series was one the best animated battle shounen series I have ever seen. The same can't be said about Shippuden though, quite the opposite.
Studio Pierrot shows absolutely no respect for the source material they end up adapting. I wouldn't want them anywhere NEAR Dragon Ball.
I actually thought Studio Pierrot did a fantastic job with YuYu Hakusho. Their version of the ending of YuYu Hakusho was way more satisfying then what happened in the manga.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:46 pm

Yu Yu Hakusho is probably the only anime adaptation they've done that managed to be anything half-decent.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:06 pm

Doctor. wrote:Yu Yu Hakusho is probably the only anime adaptation they've done that managed to be anything half-decent.
No love for Tokyo Ghoul?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:08 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Yu Yu Hakusho is probably the only anime adaptation they've done that managed to be anything half-decent.
No love for Tokyo Ghoul?
Oh, that was absolutely God awful. It's almost an insult to the manga.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:14 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
No love for Tokyo Ghoul?
I didn't think season 1 was a particularly poor adaptation. Season 2, however, yeah... that was sure something.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:29 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
No love for Tokyo Ghoul?
I hear Season 1 is great while Season 2 is awful. At least Studio Pierrot is better then Magicbus with adaptions. Magicbus adaption of Mad Bull 34 only adapted random chapters of the manga then adapting all 27 manga volumes into one.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:26 pm

Eh, I thought Season 1 was almost as bad. It had terrible pacing, it skips major foreshadowing and explanation to abilities and plot points and it butchers certain scenes.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:15 pm

Naruto's animation does suck for the most part but that in-between and stylistic shots are part of the exceptions.
Ajay wrote:The first is an inbetween and the second is from a scene where the animator chose to stylise everything. That's not bad animation.

Naruto has/had significantly better animation than Dragon Ball has ever seen.
Maybe... but how does Naruto look most of the time:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:12 am

Those examples you posted are about as shoddy as the other two. Out of 220 episodes you can count the number of errors on one hand. Additionally, all of those screen captures are from an era where none of the animation supervisors regularly work on the series anymore.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:15 pm

So, what I'm getting from this thread is.....they should totally give it to Disney. For It is the Will and the Way.

Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:37 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:So, what I'm getting from this thread is.....they should totally give it to Disney. For It is the Will and the Way.
Why should Disney own Dragon Ball? They already have Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars under their belt, are they never satisfied?! Why do they want to own everything?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:44 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:So, what I'm getting from this thread is.....they should totally give it to Disney. For It is the Will and the Way.
Why should Disney own Dragon Ball? They already have Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars under their belt, are they never satisfied?! Why do they want to own everything?
They have waaaaay more than that. And no. They are never satisfied.

In all seriousness, Disney has the money to throw around to hire people who'll actually competently do their job, since Toei doesn't seem willing to do so. Going by what they've done with Marvel and Star Wars, Disney basically lets the artists do their work, and stops short of actually interfering with the product. I'd trust them with it.

And it's gonna happen within 20 years when the ultimate super-merger of Disney, Apple, and Google happens anyway, so whatever.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:06 pm

If Disney got Dragon Ball we could expect them starting a Toriyama Studios, with two live action movies coming out each year, till 2030 ranging in quality from mediocre to the absolute best in the buisness, with a CG unrelated series (probably based around Jaco) and a 2D animated series based on Goten and Trunks antics.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:07 pm

So, basically, Disney sooner or later is gonna rule the world and we're gonna just have to accept it.

Seems fine by me.