How does it make any sense for Future Trunks to appear?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

alakazam^
I Live Here

Re: How does it make any sense for Future Trunks to appear?

Post by alakazam^ » Sun May 29, 2016 9:06 pm

I think time-travel shenanigans is what get the Gods involved. Maybe Trunks has no way to get everyone to his timeline to help him and either Whis and Beers have to help with their powers/cube or they need the Zen'ou to allow that.

Goku Black being that big of a threat isn't that likely so the Gods probably have other roles to fulfill. Or maybe Goku Black is actually an henchman of whomever is the real puppetmaster. I think Toriyama giving Trunks the sweater isn't that inocent and he might take the opportunity to explain the origin of Time Patrol Trunks, which would be the culmination of the arc.

marcbret87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by marcbret87 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:38 am

bleed0range wrote:Now, don't get me wrong guys I'm all for it and love the idea, I've really enjoyed Super since the tournament arc and I think it's improved a lot. But I can't shake the notion that it doesn't make any sense for Future Trunks to return now. The future trunks we saw in the Android arc came back in time from a future where Gohan was killed as he was a teenager. Which means he came from a time not all that further in the future from where they are now. However, his actions by going back into the past have obviously changed things significantly and altered pretty much everything. Gohan has both achieved more strength through SSJ2 and less (his current state versus that of how he was when he trained Future Trunks). The version of himself that went back in time did not know his father so the kid version of him now has a different personality, he is more cocky like his father.

So think about it like this. Trunks goes back in time and changes everything and yet when he goes back to the future he does not go back to the altered future. He goes right back to his own. As though he changed nothing. He changed their fates but not his own other than getting strong enough to kill the Androids. So, if he went back in time to anytime after the events of the cell saga, wouldn't he only go back to the events of his own timeline? Like he would be alone without a father right now. The cell saga is where the timelines split and converge. If he went back far enough he would go back to the same events that we know. Like he could travel back to see Radditz or something. But if traveling to the future puts him in his own devastated ruined future timeline he shouldn't be able to go back to this altered timeline unless he went back and just stayed in it.

Do you guys get what I mean? How can he go back in time to a past that is so drastically different than his own future timeline? It doesn't make sense.

Even the way they present it never made sense. BTTF had way better time travel logic lol.
There are two rules that you have two assume to accept this:

1. The time machine is not just a time machine but also travels between timelines
2. An equal amount of time passes in the Future Trunks timeline and the Main timeline

It is indeed bizarre, but that is the only way it works.

DodonRay

Post by DodonRay » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:52 pm

The idea is cool, but the theory doesn't work. You can't think too much into it. There would have to be at least 2 Future Trunks' and an unlimited amount of parallel universes (timelines), before DBS is even a thought.