Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Post by Tian » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:43 am

SaintEvolution wrote:I think Audio In really should hire new actors, judging by some stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trauq9FJBZg

And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwp9QavD2Us
Oh god no...
On other hand, it seems Gabriel got a new role and it's Casseral from Universe 11. I heard it and I think it can work but acting could be better.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:04 am

SaintEvolution wrote:I think Audio In really should hire new actors, judging by some stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trauq9FJBZg

And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwp9QavD2Us
This pisses me of a lot! It's already established that SIC is not going to give Audio-In the budget to hire new actors (I don't know why, the Naruto dub has a cast with double the size, does this mean SIC is giving more money to Naruto or that the original DB cast asked for more money?) so at least you have to work around that handicap and the first step to do that is NOT GIVING EVERY ROLE TO LOY!!! Nothing against the guy, he's a good actor when he wants to (In today's episode he was great as Piccolo) but he's not versatile so don't give him so many characters especially if those characters interact with each other.

On another hand Spínola is back as 17 and killed it, just wonderful! Feist was also very good today as Gohan and I wish was able to understand who Caulifla was but I wasn't.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:16 pm

Well, João Loy is already doing more characters than Antônio Semedo did in the original series - or worst than that, more characters than Ed "Old Bastard" Marcus did in the Big Green dub.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:31 pm

So episode 89 aired today and we got to hear Caulifla for the first time and I think she sounds pretty good. Joana Castro's voicing her and it sounds like she's got Caulifla's attitude down. The voice is also a voice we never heard before and nowadays that's always a plus.
Episode 89 is the one where Roshi is pretty rapey but god damn did Spínola make this shit funny! IMO in some scenes Spínola's delivery was way better than the original version! Just listen to this scene, the original version is okay the comedy lies only on the fact that Roshi got kicked in his dragon balls but not on the seiyuu's delivery, the portuguese dub however has Spínola's delivery that makes this scene a lot better (even if it's easy humor)
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:29 pm

Well, João Loy is voicing most of the new male characters and Joana Castro is at least voicing ALL the new female characters.

Also, Romeu Vala voices Khai with the exactly same voice he does for both Krillin and Kyabe, and Ricardo Spínola is in same situation with Belmond's voice, that is a mix between his 17 voice and his Beerus voice, and you can tell just by hearing it that is the same actor.

I don't know exactly what to say or expect about this situation. I just want to ask something: SIC will broadcast the entire rest of the series now? Or they will broadcast it only until the episode 104 and then reprise it again until they got the last 27 episodes in another episode slot?

diogoarez
Beyond Newbie

Post by diogoarez » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:42 am

At this point I'm just going with the flow and accepting that Audio In's stubbornness is ruining our Dub, the actors are doing an amazing work but I can't stand the repeated voices everywhere, and as much as I like Joana de Castro I'm kinda sick of hearing her do every female.

PTOldMan

Post by PTOldMan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:51 am

The way voice actors are payed by episode is different between different dubbing studios. There are two main approaches: one is to split the money evenly between all the voice actors that participate in a certain episode; the second is to pay the voice actors by line.
Dragon Ball Super is apparently being dubbed using the first approach. Most studios that work with SIC and Panda use the first approach, and as such there are only 5-6 voice actors giving their voices to all characters that appear. In a lot of shows there is no problem with this: if there are not many characters it works, and it is a cheaper approach.
The second approach allows for the use of as many voice actors as the studio wishes, but is not as cheap as the first approach is, as it requires someone to count each line the voice actor has, and requires extra production work. Disney always uses this approach, as well as RTP. Moreover, dubbing studios from Porto also use this approach - SomNorte and Cinemágica.

The thing is, nowadays it makes absolutely no sense for Audio In to use the first approach, particularly in a TV show with as many characters as Dragon Ball. It worked in the past because they used voice changing mechanisms, and the voice actors were way more versatile in the past (António Semedo and Fernanda Figueiredo were experts at nailing entirely different voices), and those were different times.

Let's take a look at Pokémon: when Pokémon was dubbed in Lisbon the first approach was used, but when it moved to Porto the second approach started to be used, and a single episode can have as many as 20 voice actors if there are a lot of characters, and it is possible to avoid repetition of voice actors.

It is not the voice actors' fault that this is happening, and I actually think that they are trying hard to make different sounding voices for new characters, particularly João Loy, Rui de Sá and Joana Castro. Although they are not as versatile as past voice actors were, it's clear they are making an effort. The problem is with Audio In, and it is a shame this is happening.

With the way Audio In is handling things, I can imagine Ribrianne, Kakunsa and Rozie all being dubbed by Joana Castro (although the obvious choice for Ribrianne would be Cristina Cavalinhos, if Audio In gets the reference).

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:23 pm

I think it's not entirely Audio In's fault. If you notice there's no director in the credits leaving the job to the actors and that's never a good idea and I remember seeing Loy commenting that they asked the studio for no directors in respect for Tó Semedo and so they could have their freedom. That's why Loy was Zamasu and that's why some deliveries seem off, there's no one there to control that stuff. The budget's fault is on SIC they're the ones giving Audio In the money and if there's no director saying we need more actors they won't give them the budget.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:40 pm

I love everything about Caulifla in the original version, so Joana's Caulifla doesn't impress me.
At least, it's a new voice. I definitely need to hear more before I decide. I don't hate it, but I'm also not feeling it.

I burst out laughing when I heard Quimbé's Popo. He really talks like a black man! :lol: :lol:

Looks like Gabriel is the one doing Kahershal and surprisingly enough I really liked it.

Toppo is okay and Dyspo has the same voice from Loy that I already heard countless of times. I'm honestly burn out from hearing Loy in so many characters.
It came to the point that the problem is not the voice not fitting the character, but a lot of characters having the same voices.

Shot out to GREAT Henrique Feist performance in episode 90. Just like Nozawa he does Goku/Gohan and I go as far as to tell he did a better job in that fight.
I love it so much!!! :clap: :clap:

Two things that make our version better: Goku/Gohan have distinctive voices so it's not confusing when they are clashing and no "Atatatata".
I usually don't have problems with Nozawa battle noises, but when you have two characters that sound alike screaming the same thing is too much. That problems comes from the Audio Director, he should have told her to slow down. I don't remember so many "Atatatata" in the other Dragon Balls.

I still love the original version, but I will take our version of this fight.

That "Estamos juntos filho e juntos vamos mais além" in the end was just <3 I'm so proud of Feist!

Shot out to Spinola's Roshi in episode 89. He nailed it too!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PTOldMan

Post by PTOldMan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:55 pm

There is a new female voice actress, apparently. Today was Ribrianne's debut and she was voiced by some voice actress that was neither Cristina or Joana. Apparently.

While it is good there is a new voice actress for the dub, that voice for Ribrianne was very bad and disappointing. Ribrianne's lines were emotionless, and the voice itself was nothing I would expect to hear from Ribrianne.
The dub decided to do a parody of Maria Leal instead of parodying Sailor Moon and other magical girls. Well...

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:53 pm

PTOldMan wrote: While it is good there is a new voice actress for the dub, that voice for Ribrianne was very bad and disappointing. Ribrianne's lines were emotionless, and the voice itself was nothing I would expect to hear from Ribrianne.
The dub decided to do a parody of Maria Leal instead of parodying Sailor Moon and other magical girls. Well...
I heard her voice and...wow, it's just horrible. Even though I find Ribrianne annoying, I think she deserved a better voice than that.

diogoarez
Beyond Newbie

Post by diogoarez » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:14 am

DID THEY JUST HIRE ONE OF THE MEMBERS OF ''SAILOR PITAS''???? Looks like it and it's awful...
FFS they didn't hire new actors to improve the dub and they do this... At this point I may quit on watching the dub

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:47 pm

PTOldMan wrote:There is a new female voice actress, apparently. Today was Ribrianne's debut and she was voiced by some voice actress that was neither Cristina or Joana. Apparently.

While it is good there is a new voice actress for the dub, that voice for Ribrianne was very bad and disappointing. Ribrianne's lines were emotionless, and the voice itself was nothing I would expect to hear from Ribrianne.
Did they really hired a 3rd actress? Did you saw it in the credits?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Was it even an actress? It sounded like a guy to me.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:05 pm

Puto wrote:Was it even an actress? It sounded like a guy to me.
RIGHT?! I swear that was Gabriel with a higher pitch! Hopefully that was a day when Joana Castro was sick and that's why Kusu was Cristina instead of her and Brianne was... whoever or whatever that was. I really hope that when she appears again it will be another voice. BTW no new actress on the credits.

diogoarez
Beyond Newbie

Post by diogoarez » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:05 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:
Puto wrote:Was it even an actress? It sounded like a guy to me.
RIGHT?! I swear that was Gabriel with a higher pitch! Hopefully that was a day when Joana Castro was sick and that's why Kusu was Cristina instead of her and Brianne was... whoever or whatever that was. I really hope that when she appears again it will be another voice. BTW no new actress on the credits.
I dunno if it was Gabriel or not but god damn it was atrocious. I had to check with some of the members of Sailor Pitas to see if they weren't involved, absolutely shameful

PTOldMan

Post by PTOldMan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:02 am

Yeah, this whole situation is very weird. I thought it was a new voice actress because this is clearly not Cristina's or Joana's voice. But this is very weird, I don't know if they are trying to do something special (such as referencing Sailor Pitas, which would be very cringy), or if they hired some amateur fan to dub her (the same they did with Gabriel) or if it really is Gabriel Gonçalves voicing Ribrianne, with some voice changing mechanism. Either way this all very sad and disappointing.

Until we get some clarification on this, right now I am kind of thinking it really is Gabriel voicing Ribrianne, those emotionless lines are very similar to what we usually get from him, and the way those words and letters are pronounced (''a dicção'') is likewise what we normally hear from Gabriel (that windy 'S' sound).

I really hope that by next time Ribrianne appears they have already forgotten who voiced Ribrianne in this episode and give her a proper voice actress, I don't mind if it is either Cristina or Joana, just give us somebody who can act.

diogoarez
Beyond Newbie

Post by diogoarez » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:14 am

I just hope they don't use this kind of voice again... This plus the lack of actors only shows how poor quality they are making this dub.
Honestly the more I hear it the less it sounds like Gabriel, but then again it must be him. This situation is really bizarre and kind of reminds me of the old atrocious Digimon Adventure dub.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:51 pm

The manga sucks, Ribrianne's Portuguese voice is monotonous and devoid of life, this girl just cannot catch a break!

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:02 am

Here's an updated ratings chart, up to episode 92: