Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:52 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF16JsHHVcE

I liked his voice. It can be the best performance from Feist in the dub. We will see it only in the future.

Also, I would like if that page "DBS Portugal" on Youtube could upload the previews dubbed into portuguese again.
I want to see the previews of the Black arc dubbed into portuguese, with "A Dangerous New Enemy" in the background.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:38 am

Doctor. wrote:Black's voice was great. Feist did a good job.
I like the voice but not particularly what I would have went with for Black, we'll see how it goes in the following weeks.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:37 pm

Just saw the episode now so here are my thoughts on episode 47:
- Future Trunks sounds really good, he sounded a bit off on the preview from episode 46 but it was just Feist getting the voice back;
- Mai also sounds really good;
- The mistake with "Planets" instead of "Universes" is stupid but unfortunately something passable with the mistakes Audio In has done in the past;
- I'm not that bothored by "Guerreiro Negro" and from what the admins from the FB page have been saying it's just what they call him now since they don't really know who he is so there's still a chance we'll get "Goku Black" in our dub;
- Black's voice is really good in my opinion, it is a little rough like Sean Schemmel's but not as much as Schemmel's so it doesn't sound like Batman.

If they choose a good actor to play Zamasu or Zamas, depending on which one they choose to go with, this could be the best dubbed Dragon Ball material made in Portugal.
Last edited by Gafonso6 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:41 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:Just saw the episode now so here are my thoughts on episode 47:
- Future Trunks sounds really good, he sounded a bit off on the preview from episode 46 but it just Feist getting the voice back;
- Mai also sounds really good;
- The mistake with "Planets" instead of "Universes" is stupid but unfortunately something passable with the mistakes Audio In has done in the past;
- I'm not that bothored by "Guerreiro Negro" and from what the admins from the FB page have been saying it's just what they call him now since they don't really know who he is so there's still a chance we'll get "Goku Black" in our dub;
- Black's voice is really good in my opinion, it is a little rough like Sean Schemmel's but not as much as his voice so it doesn't sound like Batman.

If they choose a good actor to play Zamasu or Zamas, depending on which one they choose to go with, this could be the best dubbed Dragon Ball material made in Portugal.
Which is stupid because at this point in time they know him as "Black", nothing more, nothing else.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Tumblr

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:48 pm

Quebaz wrote: Which is stupid because at this point in time they know him as "Black", nothing more, nothing else.
I agree, but unfortunately the translators at Audio In are not that good.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:
Quebaz wrote: Which is stupid because at this point in time they know him as "Black", nothing more, nothing else.
Are they translating the series from the original source o from an english script provided by the distributor? just curious :) .

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:10 pm

Tian wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
Are they translating the series from the original source o from an english script provided by the distributor? just curious :) .
They're translating from an english script provided by Toei Europe, which makes it worse since in Portugal you learn English as a second language since first grade and they make mistakes that even a 12 year old wouldn't make.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:13 pm

Though, in their defense, translating from an English script makes it harder to figure what to translate or keep in English. Though they just had to look for the answer a bit... Or ask the fans.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:35 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:
Tian wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
They're translating from an english script provided by Toei Europe, which makes it worse since in Portugal you learn English as a second language since first grade and they make mistakes that even a 12 year old wouldn't make.
I remember the swedish translator of Sailor Moon, Olaf F. Andersson said the english scripts Toei provided for the show were atrocious in linguistic quality, so it's probably that or maybe the studio hired translators who aren't fluent in English.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:53 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:Don't know what's so stupid about it. A direct translation doesn't work, so they had to compromise while remaining faithful to the original intent. Guerreiro Negro (Dark Warrior) is the best solution I've heard...
It's not the character's name. "Black" isn't offensive so I don't know why they would shy away from that. Even if they felt the need to translate it, "Goku Negro" is perfectly fine.
Gafonso6 wrote:I agree, but unfortunately the translators at Audio In are not that good.
I'm pretty sure it's not the translators' fault, they most likely followed orders.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

God, a person can't give an opinion, with constructive criticism without the same bunch of idiots trying to shut us down. "If you don't like go watch the Japanese version."
It's getting ridiculous.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:23 am

alakazam^ wrote:It's not the character's name.
No, it's a nickname. Guerreiro Negro serves the same purpose as Goku Black.
alakazam^ wrote:"Black" isn't offensive so I don't know why they would shy away from that. Even if they felt the need to translate it, "Goku Negro" is perfectly fine.
Wether it's offensive or not depends on the person. The fact is that it has racial connotations which are easily avoided with the name they chose since it serves the same purpose. The fact that he looks like Goku is something that will be discussed in dialogue later on, so no harm done.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:30 pm

So episode 48:
- Black's voice or Negro in our dub is really good. I mean really, it was already good on the last episode this time Feist nailed it. He's clearly going to be the best on this arc;
- The called the "Masenko" "Kamehameha" for some reason;
- Future Trunks also has an awesome voice;
- We heard the new Yajirobe and Korin voices for the first time and I have to say I like them a lot, they're done by Romeu Vala and Rui de Sá and they did a pretty good job and if they did a DB Kai dub (not happening but what if) I would love to have this cast.

Hope they get a perfect voice for Zamasu or at least one who can really scream "SON GOKU!!!".

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:57 pm

They also insist on calling Karin "Mestre da Torre Sagrada" (Master of the Sacred Tower) instead of his actual name, despite the old dub calling him Karin.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Tumblr

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:So episode 48:
- Black's voice or Negro in our dub is really good. I mean really, it was already good on the last episode this time Feist nailed it. He's clearly going to be the best on this arc;
- The called the "Masenko" "Kamehameha" for some reason;
- Future Trunks also has an awesome voice;
- We heard the new Yajirobe and Korin voices for the first time and I have to say I like them a lot, they're done by Romeu Vala and Rui de Sá and they did a pretty good job and if they did a DB Kai dub (not happening but what if) I would love to have this cast.

Hope they get a perfect voice for Zamasu or at least one who can really scream "SON GOKU!!!".
Also, in the preview they called Black as "Son Goku Negro"(Son Goku Black), instead of "Guerreiro Negro".

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:59 pm

Best thing about Yajirobe's voice: same voice actor as Krillin, just as in Japan, to add to ours already matching since the beginning Narrator and Kaio.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:03 pm

omegalucas wrote:Best thing about Yajirobe's voice: same voice actor as Krillin, just as in Japan, to add to ours already matching since the beginning Narrator and Kaio.
If this was intentional it would be even cooler.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:44 pm

-Episode 47 and 48-

Good lord, Feist nailed Goku Black in such an epic away. I really love it! :shock:

But I'm not fully satisfied with his FT Trunks. Because personally I think Takeshi Kusao was the best voice actor in this arc and after his outstanding performance full of energy,
Feist's FT Trunks just lacks power to me. The lack of screams when Black was spamming FT Trunks with ki blasts and when he tried to punch Goku bothered me a lot.

I do believe he will improve though.

Still, it's funny. In other countries people get surprised when their voice actors are just able to do 2 different voices for 2 different characters.
Feist will be doing 5 on this arc and without any filter- Goku, Goku Black, FT Trunks, Kid Trunks and Gohan (who barely appears).

I hate how they keep translating "Masenko" to "Kamehameha".
I don't have much problems with they treating Goku Black as "Guerreiro Negro" (Black Warrior) or "Son Goku Negro", but I would rather they had kept Goku Black.

We have too many "Warriors" around here - Warrior (Saiyan), Super Warrior (SSJ), Hyper Warrior (SSJ2), Mega Warrior (SSJ3), Black Warrior (Black), etc... :lol:

I still think sub fans are overreacting in that facebook page. There's no need to for so much drama.

Anyway, overall people are loving it and Feist's Goku Black is approved by the majority of sub fans.
omegalucas wrote:God, a person can't give an opinion, with constructive criticism without the same bunch of idiots trying to shut us down. "If you don't like go watch the Japanese version."It's getting ridiculous.
That page is a double-edged sword.

On one hand it's good because we can warn them when they are really fucking up - Loy's pathetic performance as Vegeta in the beginning, Kid Trunks having Adult Trunks voice in the beginning, amateurish mistakes by Audio-In...

On other hand it's a easy way to give the spotlight to anyone who wants to nitpick about every little thing and/or just bash the dub.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:09 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:No, it's a nickname. Guerreiro Negro serves the same purpose as Goku Black.
Yeah, no. You know exactly what I'm talking about, don't make excuses. "Goku Black", while a nickname, is the name they call him because the guy introduced himself as Son Goku and is evil. Thus, it's the name dubbing studios should use, in whatever format they see fit.

Where in "Goku Black" you see "warrior"? You don't, so you don't use it. Nostalgia aside, are you fine with "Coraçãozinho de Satã" or "Hércules"? You shouldn't be because those are not the characters' names. It's the same thing.
Luso Saiyan wrote:Wether it's offensive or not depends on the person. The fact is that it has racial connotations which are easily avoided with the name they chose since it serves the same purpose. The fact that he looks like Goku is something that will be discussed in dialogue later on, so no harm done.
The origin of the name has nothing to do with race, though. I know "Goku Preto" would be a can of worms but, like I said, using "Goku Negro" is the next best thing they could use and, apparently, they don't have a problem with it since they'll use that for the next episode title.

I read somewhere they called him "Guerreiro Negro" so to conceal his identity. I could accept that if not for the fact Trunks, Mai and Bloomer "know" perfectly well who he is (and were the ones to name him, even). It's just changing stuff for the sake of changing.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:24 am

For the record, the episode 49 title is the first time the name "Goku Black" is EVER mentioned in Japanese. In dialogue, the first mention of "Goku Black" is when Trunks tells his story to the people in the past. Before that, he was called "dark warrior" in episode 47's title and just "Black" by Trunks.

Also, our dub has never, in the past, used simply "Goku" without the Son, so I they're not going to start doing that now. Even in GT, where they often used Gohan and Goten without the Son, they never called the main character just Goku.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.