Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Post by omegalucas » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:27 am

They used just Goku a couple times in Path to Power I believe, and a few on Super so far.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:46 am

alakazam^ wrote:Yeah, no. You know exactly what I'm talking about, don't make excuses.
I'm not making any excuses. I'm calling it what it is.
alakazam^ wrote:"Goku Black", while a nickname, is the name they call him because the guy introduced himself as Son Goku and is evil.
No, it's the nickname Bulma gave him because he looks like Goku and is dressed in black.
alakazam^ wrote:Thus, it's the name dubbing studios should use, in whatever format they see fit.
Studios should adapt language, expressions, terminology and names to each countries language where it makes sense. You can't have "Goku Preto" for obvious reasons even though it's the direct translation that you defend should be used. In that episode, they originally refer to him as only Black, so following your line of reasoning, they should just call him "Preto"? I hope you realize the ridiculousness of that idea and I don't have to explain it.
alakazam^ wrote:Where in "Goku Black" you see "warrior"? You don't, so you don't use it.
That's not how it works.
alakazam^ wrote:Nostalgia aside, are you fine with "Coraçãozinho de Satã" or "Hércules"? You shouldn't be because those are not the characters' names. It's the same thing.
No, it's not the same thing at all. Those examples are unnecessary changes. Just like calling Masenko a Kamehameha. There are no linguistic connotations to their original names that prevented them from being faithful to them.
alakazam^ wrote:I read somewhere they called him "Guerreiro Negro" so to conceal his identity. I could accept that if not for the fact Trunks, Mai and Bloomer "know" perfectly well who he is (and were the ones to name him, even). It's just changing stuff for the sake of changing.
They don't know who he is, that's why Bulma had to give him a nickname that fit his appearance. And both Mai and Trunks refer to him as Black.
Puto wrote:For the record, the episode 49 title is the first time the name "Goku Black" is EVER mentioned in Japanese. In dialogue, the first mention of "Goku Black" is when Trunks tells his story to the people in the past. Before that, he was called "dark warrior" in episode 47's title and just "Black" by Trunks.
Exactly.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:50 am

While I dislike it (I truly do), I can see the reasoning behind Guerreiro Negro and understand it.
Black IS a nickname, and thus it CAN be translated (it's a whole can of worms whether it should or not), so it's not like they are truly making a mistake.
And in dialogue, Negro by itself sounds strange as a title and that is the probable reason they went with Guerreiro as well. It's fine. It's merely a case of getting used to it.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:14 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:-Episode 47 and 48-

Good lord, Feist nailed Goku Black in such an epic away. I really love it! :shock:

But I'm not fully satisfied with his FT Trunks. Because personally I think Takeshi Kusao was the best voice actor in this arc and after his outstanding performance full of energy,
Feist's FT Trunks just lacks power to me. The lack of screams when Black was spamming FT Trunks with ki blasts and when he tried to punch Goku bothered me a lot.

I do believe he will improve though.

Still, it's funny. In other countries people get surprised when their voice actors are just able to do 2 different voices for 2 different characters.
Feist will be doing 5 on this arc and without any filter- Goku, Goku Black, FT Trunks, Kid Trunks and Gohan (who barely appears).

I hate how they keep translating "Masenko" to "Kamehameha".
I don't have much problems with they treating Goku Black as "Guerreiro Negro" (Black Warrior) or "Son Goku Negro", but I would rather they had kept Goku Black.

We have too many "Warriors" around here - Warrior (Saiyan), Super Warrior (SSJ), Hyper Warrior (SSJ2), Mega Warrior (SSJ3), Black Warrior (Black), etc... :lol:

I still think sub fans are overreacting in that facebook page. There's no need to for so much drama.

Anyway, overall people are loving it and Feist's Goku Black is approved by the majority of sub fans.
I agree 100% with this. I love his voice but it lacks some screaming power, I especially noticed it when Trunks tries to punch Goku, Trunks' original scream makes the whole scene feel so powerful but Feist isn't powerful enough with his Trunks. I also agree he will improve, he hasn't done Trunks' voice since GT so I'll cut him some slack.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:I'm not making any excuses. I'm calling it what it is.

No, it's the nickname Bulma gave him because he looks like Goku and is dressed in black.

Studios should adapt language, expressions, terminology and names to each countries language where it makes sense. You can't have "Goku Preto" for obvious reasons even though it's the direct translation that you defend should be used. In that episode, they originally refer to him as only Black, so following your line of reasoning, they should just call him "Preto"? I hope you realize the ridiculousness of that idea and I don't have to explain it.

That's not how it works.
It is an excuse because it being a nickname is irrelevant, it's still his name in the arc.

Are you seriously arguing why she called him that? Whether it was because he's evil or dresses in black doesn't matter, what matters is that he's Son Goku and that should be part of his nickname, not that "dark warrior" crap.

Studios should be faithful to the source material. If you actually bothered to read what I wrote, I never said they should use "Goku Preto". What I actually wanted was for them to keep "Goku Black" and, if not, the next best, logical step was "Goku Negro", which is what they seem to be using in the future. Not making up words that aren't there. It's bad enough they don't have the guts to commit to one color (you don't dress in "negro").

Yes, it is. That's the name the character has, you don't make up stuff with names. "Guerreiro Negro" isn't even a translation.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:17 pm

alakazam^ wrote:It is an excuse because it being a nickname is irrelevant, it's still his name in the arc.
No, it's not. His name is Zamasu and is mostly referred to as Black.
alakazam^ wrote:Are you seriously arguing why she called him that?
I'm explaning the reason for why she nicknamed him that way.
alakazam^ wrote:Studios should be faithful to the source material.
And adapt when required.
alakazam^ wrote:If you actually bothered to read what I wrote, I never said they should use "Goku Preto".
Yes, you did because you were arguing for blind "faithfulness". You argued that they should stick to Goku Black. Well, Goku Black is translated as Goku Preto. Not Goku Negro. Black and dark are not the same thing.
alakazam^ wrote:What I actually wanted was for them to keep "Goku Black" and, if not, the next best, logical step was "Goku Negro", which is what they seem to be using in the future. Not making up words that aren't there. It's bad enough they don't have the guts to commit to one color (you don't dress in "negro").
They aren't making up anything, they are adapting terminology which in this case is a requirement. There something called common sense that should trump literal translations when they have different connotations/meaning/sense in the new language.
alakazam^ wrote:Yes, it is. That's the name the character has, you don't make up stuff with names. "Guerreiro Negro" isn't even a translation.
No, it's an adaptation. But from your comments you probably don't know the meaning of it and why it even exists.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Yes, you did because you were arguing for blind "faithfulness". You argued that they should stick to Goku Black. Well, Goku Black is translated as Goku Preto. Not Goku Negro. Black and dark are not the same thing.
But he's called "Black" in Japanese, not the japanese word for black but the actual english word, why not retain the foreign word?
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:20 pm

Quebaz wrote:But he's called "Black" in Japanese, not the japanese word for black but the actual english word, why not retain the foreign word?
He's called Burakku (which, like 'kuro' means 'black'), one of many loan words in japanese.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:23 pm

Ok so apparently de Facebook Page is having a livestream tonight so the fans can vote on who they want for Zamasu so they can decide and I have to call the biggest possible BULLSHIT! There's no way in hell this voting will do anything to decide who'll play Zamasu, the only person who can decide is the director and only him, what proves this is when they are announcing the livestream they write
Remember, your vote probably won't be decisive
. Oh and another thing they are "giving" this decision to portuguese fans, the same fans who want the jokes, there are already people asking for Monchique (even tho that will never happen because Dragon Ball made him quit voice acting in general).
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:53 pm

Don't worry too much about it. I'd say it's just a way to make fans feel like they're in charge.
I remember instances of voices in dubs actually being chosen by vote, and it didn't end well: people just voted for the prettiest voices without paying the slightest attention to the acting. There's a reason why there are directors.

Btw, I listened to Feist's Black today. I love it :)
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:40 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote: Btw, I listened to Feist's Black today. I love it :)
Great to know it's actually being universally loved. I mean come on this is Badass!

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:17 pm

OK so apparently Portugal and Spain are getting a lot of Dragon Ball Super merchandise like underwear, nightwear, T-shirts, sweat-shirts, swimwear, video games accessories and toys.
Here is the link from Toei Europe's website.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:10 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:No, it's not. His name is Zamasu and is mostly referred to as Black.

And adapt when required.

Yes, you did because you were arguing for blind "faithfulness". You argued that they should stick to Goku Black. Well, Goku Black is translated as Goku Preto. Not Goku Negro. Black and dark are not the same thing.

They aren't making up anything, they are adapting terminology which in this case is a requirement. There something called common sense that should trump literal translations when they have different connotations/meaning/sense in the new language.

No, it's an adaptation. But from your comments you probably don't know the meaning of it and why it even exists.
Toriyama calls him Goku Black, Toei calls him Goku Black, merchandise call him Goku Black, games call him Goku Black. I'm well aware of who the person inside is, that doesn't change the fact that's the name people associate him with. You're being needlessly pedantic.

Not in my opinion.

Yeah, you really need to pay attention to what I write if you're going to address it. If I argue they should stick with "Goku Black", then it's "Goku Black", not "Goku Preto" and this isn't being blind. There's no need for them to translate the name at all.

There's no "dark" anywhere so they're making stuff up. Adapting it doesn't change that, rather it's expected and that's what I don't like. Do you actually know if they were required to do it? Because I don't see a reason for them to. If a story comes up with a nickname and it explains why it exists, common sense would tell you to be consistent. Well, mine would. I'm sorry they are afraid to call a color by its name and don't trust people to know the difference but keeping "Goku Black" solves that and is faithful to the source material, which is all that matters.

Please don't assume what I know or don't know, you'll avoid being wrong in the future. Thanks.
Gafonso6 wrote:Great to know it's actually being universally loved. I mean come on this is Badass!
Yeah, I like how he sounds as well but will he always talk this slowly?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:48 am

Negro means black, not dark. Escuro is dark.

Would like to remind people here that the Men in Black movies, for instance, have always been "Homens de Negro" here, not "Homens de Preto".
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:54 am

Really glad they opted for mortal as the translation of ningen over human. Though it shouldn't be too surprising considering they're using Funimation's subs, right?

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:43 am

Now THIS is a video I would have never thought I would ever see. But good to know somoeone is showing our Z dub to the world saying they like it.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:11 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:Now THIS is a video I would have never thought I would ever see. But good to know somoeone is showing our Z dub to the world saying they like it.
Oh God, I never thought Masako would do a video about our dub either. Looks like they know about the original DBA.
Hilarious. :lol:
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:17 pm

Puto wrote:Negro means black, not dark. Escuro is dark.

Would like to remind people here that the Men in Black movies, for instance, have always been "Homens de Negro" here, not "Homens de Preto".
"Negro" is "dark" as well.

You don't dress in "negro", you dress in "preto".
Gafonso6 wrote:Now THIS is a video I would have never thought I would ever see. But good to know somoeone is showing our Z dub to the world saying they like it.
And Loy commented on it :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:54 pm

Italy got a merch push seems Spain and Portugal are too:
Only a month after DRAGON BALL SUPER launched on BOING in February, new partners are already announced for the property in Spain and Portugal.Two new licensees will develop underwear, nightwear, T-shirts and sweat-shirts: Madness and Comic Studio. Additionally, the latter will also develop swimwear. Blade Representaciones will develop a range of video games accessories to be available for PS4, 3DS and Switch.
All three licensees will work on separate lines dedicated to the new series, Dragon Ball Super, and to the classic series Dragon Ball, and Dragon Ball Z as well, in order to satisfy older fans. The new licensees are joining Dragon Ball Super master toy Bandai, who has just launched the toy line.
Those deals were brokered by Spanish agent El Ocho Licencias y Promociones.
http://www.toei-animation.com/en/dragon ... entaciones

Super is well and truly arriving internationally!

(Just sucks in the UK we have no Super and the only merchandise we will be getting is a calendar and a board game... :()

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:57 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Italy got a merch push seems Spain and Portugal are too:
Only a month after DRAGON BALL SUPER launched on BOING in February, new partners are already announced for the property in Spain and Portugal.Two new licensees will develop underwear, nightwear, T-shirts and sweat-shirts: Madness and Comic Studio. Additionally, the latter will also develop swimwear. Blade Representaciones will develop a range of video games accessories to be available for PS4, 3DS and Switch.
All three licensees will work on separate lines dedicated to the new series, Dragon Ball Super, and to the classic series Dragon Ball, and Dragon Ball Z as well, in order to satisfy older fans. The new licensees are joining Dragon Ball Super master toy Bandai, who has just launched the toy line.
Those deals were brokered by Spanish agent El Ocho Licencias y Promociones.
http://www.toei-animation.com/en/dragon ... entaciones

Super is well and truly arriving internationally!

(Just sucks in the UK we have no Super and the only merchandise we will be getting is a calendar and a board game... :()
Yeah it really sucks you guys are being screwed over on Super. BTW since you were curious to hear our Black, what do you think about it?